Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:35 am 

Cripta Oculta - Eros dos Dolmens Esquecidos

Raw black metal from Portugal

kruge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:57 pm 

Nibiru is good.

I also got into Forests of Old, a sister band to Funeral Dust. Dead Mountain is another. All USBM.

Being "open-minded" doesn't mean one has to agree with the premise being presented.- Shawn D., Mye28.com

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:17 pm 

I always thought Shining was supposed to be the go to Depressive Black Metal band but I just can't get into them. It seems a lot of other bands do the style better than them.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:34 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I always thought Shining was supposed to be the go to Depressive Black Metal band but I just can't get into them. It seems a lot of other bands do the style better than them.

Indeed. Nyktalgia is the DSBM band.

CrushedRevelation, thank you for recommending Matricide. Reborn and The Black Messiah are amazing tracks. Oh, and Prevalent Resistance's second album is some great stuff. Cheers! I did acquire the Myrkr full-length, but I haven't listened to it much yet.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:08 pm 

Is Xasthur not still the go to DSBM band? Or is it one of those bands who's name is an ironic phrase now? Nyktalgia is probably a good band to give people as an example of the DSBM sound, overall. All the tropes are in place, but not taken to the most outlandish extremes seen in other, perhaps more "iconic" (or "infamous") bands like Happy Days.

Yeah, Ilwhyan, Jarost Marksa is great black metal. I hope they make an album filled with songs as involved as "Empires shall fall" (not to mention as many killer riffs). Reminds me of early Judas Iscariot in a lot of ways. The communist themes are an obvious bonus for me, but people talk about how they ignore lyrics all the time around here, so I figured it wouldn't bother most folks who wouldn't consider it a positive thing, per se.

Thanks, Rapethedead! Glad someone's enjoying this stuff.

I have heard Trou Noir and I like it. Closest comparison I can think of is probably the Xasthur debut but more... spacy? There's definitely a lot of nods to the classic French sound and even some LLN stuff, which all together makes a good mix of strong riffs, macabre grandeur, and general ambient/atmospheric black metal stylings... I still need a few more listens to really absorb it.

For the space stuff, I agree. Varuna comes to mind, though they are perhaps more space fantasy oriented than blackest depths of freezing intergalactic darkness oriented, perhaps. Good stuff though. I hope they get around to finishing the trilogy. On that space black metal blog I saw Benighted Leams listed a while back. Benighted Leams is a great band, though I haven't heard the album they had listed, they apparently added some space stuff later in their career, so that's probably definitely worth checking out.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:14 am 

That Jarost Marksa is excellent, the latter half of Under the Red Banner reminds me a fair bit of Inquisition. Thanks for the indirect rec there!

Inundium
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:50 am 

Hi!
Has anyone checked out Gospel og Grief from Greece? Album Our Symbol is Death. Damn good stuff...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:11 am 

I didn't find Empires Shall Fall particularly captivating, though it did have interesting elements. With a name like Jarost Marksa I took it to be a joke band, which it turned out not to be. Their music actually was quite close to the kind that always struck to me as outsiders creating black metal (which, for the record, Myrkr sounds like to an ever greater extent - not my cup of tea at all). I might look into the other bands you recommended, although I think our tastes are a bit apart. Not that I couldn't enjoy Jarost Marksa at all, but it isn't, based on that one song, nearly my favourite style of black metal.

Earlier I mentioned not having discovered a single good French BM band, but Hirilorn actually sounds like a talented bunch. The music is incredibly melodic, making it an "occasional listen only" band for me, but the guitarist writes some cool leads. Again, not my kind of black metal per se - it's somewhat borderline BM anyway - though the early Gorgoroth influence, which is highly audible at times, is endearing.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:57 am 

Macaroni_Maniac wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for more bands like Hellhammer. I already know Warhammer and Apokalyptic Raids, but I know there have to be many more of them.

Crude Society System from Sweden:
=> released a 7" in 1985 which sounds like Satanic Rites demo with Apocalyptic Raids riffs

Salute from UK:
=>their debut has an awesome Hellhammer sound, while the 2nd CD is more Frost oriented

Delirium - Zzouuuhh LP/CD
=> Dutch Hellhammer lovers. Incredible dark and atmospheric. Must have !!!!!!!

Hellbastard from UK:
=>Lots of Hellhammer and Celtic Frost (Return To The Eve in particular) riffs

Winter - Into Darkness CD
=> good influence from the song Triumph Of Death, minus the shrieks (deep voice instead)

St.Vitus - Die Healing
=> the guitar sound here is pure Hellhammer. Fantastic. It can't get close except for the next band:

Sheer Terror - Just Can't Hate Enough
=> and only this LP/CD from Sheer Terror, no other stuff of them reached the guitar sound and atmopsphere (If you are into Crust/HC then check out this nihilistic commando names Darkside NYC. Same dark lyrical themes like Hellhammer)

Darkthrone - last song on Total Death is pure Hellhammer worship in the middle part

And as a last thing: Bestial Summoning's full-length may not have much in common with Hellhammer, but their sound and madness on the full-length might be similar to the ones from the Nürensdorf, Switzerland outfit.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:46 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I didn't find Empires Shall Fall particularly captivating, though it did have interesting elements. With a name like Jarost Marksa I took it to be a joke band, which it turned out not to be. Their music actually was quite close to the kind that always struck to me as outsiders creating black metal (which, for the record, Myrkr sounds like to an ever greater extent - not my cup of tea at all). I might look into the other bands you recommended, although I think our tastes are a bit apart. Not that I couldn't enjoy Jarost Marksa at all, but it isn't, based on that one song, nearly my favourite style of black metal.

Earlier I mentioned not having discovered a single good French BM band, but Hirilorn actually sounds like a talented bunch. The music is incredibly melodic, making it an "occasional listen only" band for me, but the guitarist writes some cool leads. Again, not my kind of black metal per se - it's somewhat borderline BM anyway - though the early Gorgoroth influence, which is highly audible at times, is endearing.

Whoops! I meant to say "United under the red banner". "Empires shall fall" is ok, but the longer song is obviously significantly better. I know what you mean about Hirilorn. It's among the other ephemeral heavy/melo blacklish modern metal bands that are always almost but not quite about to break out in the sphere of public black metal acceptance. The funny part is that if it was more recent and had less immediate leads it would probably be highly acclaimed. :P

Pretty funny that it's a pre-DSO band, too.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:37 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
CrushedRevelation, thank you for recommending Matricide. Reborn and The Black Messiah are amazing tracks. Oh, and Prevalent Resistance's second album is some great stuff. Cheers! I did acquire the Myrkr full-length, but I haven't listened to it much yet.

Excellent, good to hear you liked them. The debut and second Matricide release, Holy Virgin are well worth checking out in their entirety. Black Illumination is somewhat of a slow opener of it's secrets I might add, as it has many dark, twisting, intriguing corridors to follow. Really good stuff.

My collection

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:42 am 

Well, I'm not sure I liked Myrkr after all. Black Illumination feels like listening to minor variations of the same song over and over.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:20 am 

This is why you have to reaaally vet things before going out on a limb and saying you approve of something. :P

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:24 am 

I didn't, though. I only said Prevalent Resistance and Matricide are pretty awesome.

Black Illumination I'll listen to one track at a time, but I have no wish to sit through the entire thing. The constant bombardment of very similar riffs dulls my attention and makes me unable to grasp and appreciate any cool, subtle things in the music. I'm not emotionally dead enough for that music or something! :lol:

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:29 am 

Perhaps you could try listening to it when you're dead tired? That seems to simulate the inhuman, desolate mentality required to appreciate such things.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:17 am 

I don't know, stuff like Dødsengel just works better for me. Another band, for the record, that I rarely listen to more than a few songs at a time.

Dødsengel slightly more melodic and varied and yet creates that equally oppressive atmosphere.

The problem with bands of that style is that they commonly use incredibly mediocre riffing. They're one step away from sounding like those ambient pseudo-black metal crapfests like Darkspace. I tend to find it hard to decide whether I like them or hate them.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:30 pm 

Guess we're never gonna be black metal bros, I like that black psuedo-ambient metal stuff like Darkspace. :(

I just don't talk about Darkspace or Paysage d'Hiver (or Velvet Cacoon :P ) much because they've already been/are talked about a bunch by everyone in the world.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:56 pm 

All three of those bands transcend awesome^ What's your opinion on Sun Of The Blind?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:51 am 

I don't know, never heard them. I'll check out some samples and report back.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:10 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Black Illumination I'll listen to one track at a time, but I have no wish to sit through the entire thing. The constant bombardment of very similar riffs dulls my attention and makes me unable to grasp and appreciate any cool, subtle things in the music. I'm not emotionally dead enough for that music or something! :lol:

Well this is a shame, as I feel you are missing out on some stellar music here with this album. I guess if you dislike the magnificent Darkspace that much, then this album will probably not grab you at all, despite it's many subtle nuances, song progression and overall tone. I don't see the problem with the riff-work either, as it may be typical for the genre, but hardly mundane or pedestrian, where I'm concerned.

My collection

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:21 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
I don't know, never heard them. I'll check out some samples and report back.

You'll like them. Boring crap like Darkspace, perhaps infused with the style of those better bands.

CrushedRevelation: When I started listening to Myrkr, mundane was among the last things I would have called the riffing. After three songs of slight variations of the same riffs, it was starting to apply. I generally expect music to have progression, pacing, variety, nuances, dynamics - things that make it more than a series of riffs - I don't know what of these aspects you find in Black Illumination, but I found few. Even a mere series of riffs can be enjoyable, provided that the riffs are in fact good.
LifeDemise wrote:
Looking for something similar to Setherial's Nord

The only ones that I think come close are From the Ancient Ruins (stuff before Nord) and In the Nightside Eclipse.

This post went unanswered some five pages ago. I'm also looking for more stuff in that vein.

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:34 pm 

Ride For Revenge

Any other bands in the same vein?

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:00 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
CrushedRevelation: When I started listening to Myrkr, mundane was among the last things I would have called the riffing. After three songs of slight variations of the same riffs, it was starting to apply. I generally expect music to have progression, pacing, variety, nuances, dynamics - things that make it more than a series of riffs - I don't know what of these aspects you find in Black Illumination, but I found few. Even a mere series of riffs can be enjoyable, provided that the riffs are in fact good.

Then we are at somewhat of an impasse then :wink:

The things that you say seem to be missing from this black magnum opus, progression, pacing, variety, nuances, dynamics etc are all vastly abundant within this album. I do not see it as a mere, linear series of riffs, or as you put it variations of the same riffs. There is so much more depth to it than that. This is not exactly groundbreaking, as it still exists within the basic framework of black metal, however, as I perceive it, the very nature of it's sound, tone, composition and atmosphere elevate it above a myriad of other bands within the genre. It's raw, yet extremely powerful and dense production helps to enhance the aural mood, breathing (dark) life into it's portentous title, Black Illumination. There may not be an over abundance of obvious shifts in riff structure (although there are at times), but this only adds weight to the trance inducing demeanor, luring the listener in ever closer to the darkly shining light permeating every note. I find this album to be very dynamic, and seamless in the way it goes about it, while at the same time being a menacingly, commanding and convincing experience dedicated to their art.

The very cover art is another dimension to this overall package of dedication, and again does so convincingly, which the music contained within further backs up. As a whole this all ties in together to work (and succeeds) as a single, focused entity. My simple words may not convince you to actively enjoy it as it stands, but at least I can explain to you why it moves me in the way that it does, and why I believe it to be so damn good. :)

My collection

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:18 am 

I guess you lost me at trance inducing. The BM that generally gets called that is not at all my thing, although I love the more traditional Transilvanian Hunger worship efforts (such as this and this).

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:58 am 

Zero_Nowhere wrote:
Ride For Revenge

Any other bands in the same vein?

Same vein yes I think, but I'm not completely familiar with Ride For Revenge, so I don't know any very similar ones. Check out Calvarium and Vitsaus.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:38 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
something
Gee man, make it personal...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:03 pm 

Did you end up checking out Sun Of The Blind?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:50 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
something
Gee man, make it personal...

?

If any of you know bands that sound a lot like Aurora Borealis, tell me. Last FM and what.cd fail to recommend me anything real, in last FM's case because of the multitude of bands using the same name, and furthermore, the great proportion of them being un-metal.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:58 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Is Xasthur not still the go to DSBM band? Or is it one of those bands who's name is an ironic phrase now?

After not listening to any Xasthur for a good 4 years, I've recently gotten back into his stuff pretty thoroughly...Suicide in Dark Serenity and A Gate Through Bloodstained Mirrors being in my opinion the greatest two releases. I know a lot of the "ironic" crowd has attached themselves to Xasthur but I don't let that bother me, I think the material on these two releases especially is good enough to stand on its own. Still not the biggest fan of the "DSBM" genre, but there are a few seminal bands that really refined the sound and embodied the depressive nature of the music ("Happy Days", "Make a Change..." and those bands can fuck off, emo black metal). Abyssic Hate is the other great DSBM band I think, both Suicidal Emotions and the "United by Heathen Blood" split kill.

Inconjunct
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:30 am 

Looking for amazing lead guitar like in the song "Through the moonless night" by Hirilorn.

I know where to look in general but I figured people here might know some specific awesome shit I'm missing

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:56 pm 

Looking for stuff similia ro Void Meditation Cult's Sulfurous Prayers: raw, filthy black metal with low barked vocals that's midpaced.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:20 pm 

You probably now it already, but Tha-Norr's "Wolfenzeitalter" fits the description as given. I haven't heard VMC so I can't comment on similarities to that specifically. I know a few more like this, let yet know later when I can think of them.

Not yet, Necroticism174, I'll look up a few trax on yootoob or something tonight so I can give a first impression but don't expect much in the way of in depth ANALysis.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:57 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Looking for stuff similia ro Void Meditation Cult's Sulfurous Prayers: raw, filthy black metal with low barked vocals that's midpaced.

I've just acquired the demo and will listen to it, meanwhile I'll post here the obvious stuff.
Beherit - The Oath of the Black Blood, Engram
Diocletian
Blasphemous Evil
Archgoat
Clandestine Blaze
Fallen Christ (not really mid-paced, but not really fast like Blasphemy etc.)
Goatlord (not your stuff vocal wise, but since they're not high screams or anything...)
Nocturnal Blood (not really mid-paced, but not extremely fast)

I recall some early Profanatica stuff having lower vocals, can anyone confirm?

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:51 pm 

Looking for a sort of list, The Best of Raw Black Metal

Recs?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:00 pm 

Markov wrote:

Recs?

Raw as in crappy production or filthy aesthetics?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:06 pm 

Check out ...aaaarrghh... From Turkey

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:09 pm 

http://www.amazon.com/WWE-Best-RAW-15th ... 571&sr=8-1

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:09 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Markov wrote:

Recs?

Raw as in crappy production or filthy aesthetics?

Both, whatever is good. Or what you deem good, haha. Pick your poison.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:34 pm 

Look, giving random, non-specific recs to people is boring. If this isn't a game or a mental exercise of some kind or a quiz to test the depth of our metal knowledge and requires no thought it's not fun.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:55 pm 

basically what John said. But in the interest of answering your vague request with a vague answer, check out any of the French Black Legions bands. Dosen't really get any rawer than that.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 231  Next