Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:54 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
I thought id never see the day, but it looks like soulfly is now a metal band O_o.

Max has been trying to return to his death/thrash roots for a while now, flirting with thrash metal as early as Prophecy. And of course there is Cavalera Conspiracy, but so far what I've heard from this new album kicks ass.

HavingTheFlu wrote:
Seems like nobody gives a fuck for the second track off of "Enslaved" having leaked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT8GsymR9Kc

HAIL! HAIL! HAIL! GLA-DEE-AY-TORR!

I can get used to this.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:05 pm 

Obviously, this material is a significant improvement over previous Soulfly material but I'm still not very excited about it. The lineup has certainly improved and I definitely respect David Kinkade's drumming ability. However, it seems very derivative of other, better death metal bands. It just seems a bit mediocre to me. I don't think that Max Cavalera really has the passion and taste to do death metal well.

jerk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:13 pm 

OK, so it doesn't sound like Arise. Who cares? I say ignore the silly Arise comparisons and just focus on the music. These two tracks are a lot more metal than anything else Soulfly has done. Not great, but not bad, and could conceivably get Soulfly added to the Archives (besides, I'd love to see what the reviewers have to say about their JUMPDAFUCKUP period).

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:26 pm 

World Scum sounds ok but nothing special. It just doesn't catch my interest.

HavingTheFlu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:15 am 

"Enslaved" tends to be one killer record but will probably remain kind of underrated after all. Both "World Scum" and "Gladiator" kill, whatsoever.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:25 am 

jerk wrote:
OK, so it doesn't sound like Arise. Who cares? I say ignore the silly Arise comparisons and just focus on the music. These two tracks are a lot more metal than anything else Soulfly has done. Not great, but not bad, and could conceivably get Soulfly added to the Archives (besides, I'd love to see what the reviewers have to say about their JUMPDAFUCKUP period).

Im pretty sure that we all know what we can expect. A lot of negative reviews and a couple "openminded" people who will give it very positive ratings and a couple of people who just happen to like it.

HavingTheFlu wrote:
"Enslaved" tends to be one killer record but will probably remain kind of underrated after all. Both "World Scum" and "Gladiator" kill, whatsoever.

Im pretty sure it will be seen as a return to form by a lot of the old sepultura fans but im mostly curious what the numetal/metalcore/traditional soulfly fanbase will think.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:41 pm 

I've got Gladiator on right now. This song is awesome.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:17 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Im pretty sure it will be seen as a return to form by a lot of the old sepultura fans

i don't think so, or at least not among the more internet-going types. my guess is the average "true metal" fan's opinion is going to be "ok it's metal, but so what? it fucking sucks, and fuck max cavalera anyway."

HavingTheFlu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:38 am 

Don't think so. "Conquer" has been absolutely metal, and people still act like it's nothing like that. Nothing's gonna change. Love it or hate it.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:19 pm 

If this album keeps that pace to the end, the band should be added to the archives. BTW, this second song is pretty cool too, I feel that Dave fits here way better than on Borknagar.

I'm not a Soulfly expert by any means, but looks like Max it's not trying to get back the Sepultura days, but exploring something more extreme and/or dark/heavy with this (in his mind). I can understand why people hates Soulfly so much (Beneath the Remains and Arise are monumental albums and then he goes to make jumpdafuckup stuff?) but honestly, he's doing a decent music now and the bashing seems to be irrelevant and out of place.

This is at least better than anything Sepultura has released without Max.

Oh, and Kinkade has some right, from a drummer's perspective this album seems to be busier and faster at times than anything Max released since Chaos A.D. (like blastbeats and very fast double bass things).

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:47 pm 

HavingTheFlu wrote:
Don't think so. "Conquer" has been absolutely metal, and people still act like it's nothing like that. Nothing's gonna change. Love it or hate it.

Calling something metal is not a stamp that i give to music if i decide its good. Heck im listening to a crust punk band right now. I just find that all soulfy ive heard so far is at most metallic hardcore not to distant from the stuff you had in the 90's and even then 1 metal song does not make an album metal.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:29 am 

Except that all indications are pointing to every song on this album being a metal song. World Scum and Gladiator being rather death-y in their riffs and overall sound definitely add to that.

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:23 pm 

The new album sounds like Arise if you're on crack.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:18 pm 

DanFuckingLucas wrote:

Old joke is old. Though it hardly classifies as a joke if it wasn't funny to begin with.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:15 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
DanFuckingLucas wrote:

Old joke is old. Though it hardly classifies as a joke if it wasn't funny to begin with.

I don't know, maybe there's a punishment in Hell where you spend eternity being told unfunny jokes. By Joe Pasquale. I'd call that horror beyond imagination, but you don't need to imagine it, you can just watch it. Of course, most of the jokes are stolen. You might be asking yourself what I'm talking about, or where I'm going with this, and that's a pretty good question, though it is one to which I don't readily have an answer.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:33 pm 

DanFuckingLucas wrote:
I don't know, maybe there's a punishment in Hell where you spend eternity being told unfunny jokes. By Joe Pasquale. I'd call that horror beyond imagination, but you don't need to imagine it, you can just watch it. Of course, most of the jokes are stolen. You might be asking yourself what I'm talking about, or where I'm going with this, and that's a pretty good question, though it is one to which I don't readily have an answer.

Damn, then I'd rather go to Heaven... except Jerry Falwell and other Christians are up there... so I'd still prefer Hell.

True, originality is hard to come by. Whether it is in comedy (can't tell you how many people try to rip off Bill Hicks and utterly fail in the process) or in music. So much stuff seems to be derived from so much previous stuff.

But we're getting off topic here. Probably won't be much to discuss about Soulfly's new album until another song or the whole album is leaked or made available for streaming, or March 13 - whichever of those possibilities comes first.

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:41 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
DanFuckingLucas wrote:

Damn, then I'd rather go to Heaven... except Jerry Falwell and other Christians are up there... so I'd still prefer Hell.

True, originality is hard to come by. Whether it is in comedy (can't tell you how many people try to rip off Bill Hicks and utterly fail in the process) or in music. So much stuff seems to be derived from so much previous stuff.

But we're getting off topic here. Probably won't be much to discuss about Soulfly's new album until another song or the whole album is leaked or made available for streaming, or March 13 - whichever of those possibilities comes first.

Yeah, I won't be checking it out unless I'm reliably informed it sounds like Arise. Or Bolt Thrower. There's not enough Bolt Thrower.

Also, when I made that joke, I was kind of drunk.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:31 pm 

Not really a leak, but a third song from the album can be heard in this live performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EQUUGQsS7o Skip to 1:00 to hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4LDuaqxb-I - this has marginally better audio.

Can't really hear anything in either version though.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:33 pm 

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:22 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Except that all indications are pointing to every song on this album being a metal song. World Scum and Gladiator being rather death-y in their riffs and overall sound definitely add to that.

that was my point.

Bruce500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:32 pm 

This... Is going to start some fights, but I'm with the general idea that this thread should not exist.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:27 pm 

Bruce500 wrote:
This... Is going to start some fights, but I'm with the general idea that this thread should not exist.

Can't see why it shouldn't exist.

It's in the tavern, people listen to the band, there are ties to metal, a new album's coming out. Enough is there to warrant existence.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:37 pm 

Bruce500 wrote:

Your post shouldn't exist, it doesn't bring any meat to the discussion. This thread is fine, it would even be fine in the Metal Discussion, the tracks are metal.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

psycho_gcv
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:41 am 

I'm looking forward to the new album, can't wait actually.

Pedr00
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:39 am 

Leaked.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:04 pm 

...So what do people think?
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:14 pm 

Can't find a working link online. Seems like downloading is a bit more harder these days?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:15 pm 

Yeah it is, that whole anti-piracy thing actually caught on a bit.

Not like a Soulfly album would ever be worth it though. ;)

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:01 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Not like a Soulfly album would ever be worth it though. ;)

Heh, I don't like the band but I guess the new album is worth a try. Don't be such a pessimist! :p

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:39 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Can't find a working link online. Seems like downloading is a bit more harder these days?

Yup.

Look for it in Turbobit.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:49 pm 

Found it already. At the moment ''Legions'' is playing. Can't say I'm that impressed so far and it still sounds a bit too modern-in-your-face kind of like. ''World Scum'' got me quite excited but yeah, haven't heard the full album yet and perhaps the rest will grow on me.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:39 pm 

downloading now.... and just so the government can't catch me, i'm gonna buy it from amazon as well, but the mp3 downloads version is $2 more expensive than the actual thing. WHAT?!

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:34 pm 

paying for mp3's is pretty false anyway.

_MachineGodMessiah_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:10 am 

"World Scum" is pretty motherfucking metal at least. Hell they got a dude from Cattle Decapitation to record on it. Definitely a much darker, harsher metal recording than previous efforts as far as I can tell. Let's see the last one they did that got this close was Dark Ages. It's not exactly "Arise on crack" like they put it, strictly death/thrash-wise, but it's definitely worth an honorable mention here as a fairly solid groove/death/thrash thingy considering all the earlier "mainstream" stuff they produced.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:13 pm 

The Arise on crack thing was actually relating to the drumming on the record, as someone already pointed out earlier in the thread.

Currently on Redemption of Man by God. I'm quite liking this album.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:14 pm 

i've given it a listen through now, and overall it's at least as good as conquer was.
it's about as heavy as the last cavalera conspiracy album, and the songs are a lot better.
lots of different vocal styles going on, too - not sure exactly how many of them are max and how many are guests, but still cool.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:47 pm 

The only songs with guest singers are World Scum (Travis Ryan from Cattle Decapitation), Redemption of Man by God (Dez Fafara from DevilDriver), and Revengeance (Max's songs Zyon, Richie, and Igor Jr.). All the other vocals on the album are Max.

Pedr00
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:20 pm 

Subrick wrote:
The only songs with guest singers are World Scum (Travis Ryan from Cattle Decapitation), Redemption of Man by God (Dez Fafara from DevilDriver), and Revengeance (Max's songs Zyon, Richie, and Igor Jr.). All the other vocals on the album are Max.

Also in Plata O Plomo the vocals in the Spanish part are by Tony Campos. Excellent song btw. Also Soulfly VIII are the most beautiful of all Soulfly's instrumental songs.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:57 pm 

I'm listening to the leak. As far as I'm concerned it's just another album that you hope is going to be a return to form but doesn't quite hit the mark. It sounds nothing like Arise aside from a few transplanted thrash parts. Being a fan of "classic" Sepultura it doesn't really do anything for me.

However, if Soulfly remains rejected from MA after this album comes out it will be hilarious. It's solidly a metal album regardless of what you think of its quality.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:50 pm 

Kiddie Metal.

I couldn't listen for more than about 15 seconds and felt like I had already heard the whole album. Boring, repetitive, and lame. I had to check it out but thank God I paid no money for it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next