Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:56 pm 

I actually brought that up a while back in regards to Autopsy and the reason I was given was that if there's a big gap between releases, the band is usually refreshed and chock full of ideas and just wants to get it all out there. It would be tough to cut out some of the beloved songs you wrote in your rejuvenated enthusiasm. That makes sense, but I still stand that these albums could really use a trim.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:03 pm 

I've considered that viewpoint and assumed that's what it HAD to be, but I still think its a bad decision that hurts an album in the long run. If you give me a traditional metal album that's over an hour I better not have to skip a god damn song. If I do have to start skipping all around it feels like a cobbled together mixtape and I lose interest.

I think we're on the same page though, so I apologize for preaching to the choir. I still haven't checked out Macabre Eternal for the same reason! I loved The Tomb Within EP but I have a reeeeaaaalllly hard time buying that Autopsy made an hour and five minute album with no filler.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:09 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Anybody else notice my favorite track off each album is the first one? That might actually be a bad thing.

So, your favourite track from 1982 is actually 'Invaders'?

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:15 pm 

Hey!

Thats a badass song.
INVADERS MARAUDING!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:15 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I've considered that viewpoint and assumed that's what it HAD to be, but I still think its a bad decision that hurts an album in the long run. If you give me a traditional metal album that's over an hour I better not have to skip a god damn song. If I do have to start skipping all around it feels like a cobbled together mixtape and I lose interest.

Blood of the Nations does get tiresome, it's a lot more same-y than Accept's early, better stuff.

Also "Invaders" is a huge piece of shit. The chorus ruins an otherwise good song.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:20 pm 

I love "Invaders", silly chorus and all.

But the dirty Scot brings up the point I was hoping nobody would, "Hallowed be thy Name" really probably does beat "Fast as a Shark", but who cares? They both rock.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:24 pm 

I never minded long albums, so long as there's no filler. And I can't think of any song I don't enjoy on Blood Of The Nations.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:26 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I think we're on the same page though, so I apologize for preaching to the choir. I still haven't checked out Macabre Eternal for the same reason! I loved The Tomb Within EP but I have a reeeeaaaalllly hard time buying that Autopsy made an hour and five minute album with no filler.

Well there are no flat out filler tracks on it, every single song has at least a couple of minutes of standout material, just some of them may have a 6 minute run time overall, and the album would be better off overall scrapping the 2 minutes of awesomeness to shave off four minutes of boring stuff a couple of times.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:34 pm 

Yeah I guess that's kind of what I would expect based on all the outside information (number of songs, individual lengths, overall runtime). I have enough faith in Reifert and crew that they wouldn't just shit out some straight up garbage songs, but I don't want to hear them trying to be so ambitious, honestly. I appreciate that they're psyched to be writing/playing again but the number of death metal albums that are over an hour which I listen to regularly is...well pretty much just The Chasm's stuff.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:59 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I haven't given Blood of the Nations a shot, and you pretty much nailed my suspicions to the floor. The tracklist/runtime just looked like bad news. I don't know why it is that older bands feel they should just jam pack an album full of as many songs as possible with no thoughts towards pacing, flow, or shit even listener stamina.

Well, I know when it's been a long time, or when there's some new blood in the band, they often feel kind of rejuvenated and that they have a lot to prove and show. This could be problematic, but I honestly don't mind most of the time....the last Autopsy record was fantastic for me from start to finish.

Accept put on such a fantastic show last year. I havent' any great urge to check out any new albums to be honest but if I could see them again I would in a flash. They just cranked out song after song after song for over an hour..I don't think they ever stopped playing for more than two seconds. Judas Priest could learn a thing or two from this band.

Edit: Jonpo, I agree with you that generally death metal albums shouldnt' be that long..if they're, I don't know, Sinister or even Incantation albums, perhaps, but I think Autopsy can pull from enough diverse influences to make it work out for them. They do have a lot of elements those other bands sort of lack, as much as they're also favourites for me.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Last edited by Abominatrix on Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:01 pm 

Man, Borealis. Power/progfrom canada, and oddly good stuff. While I think the review scores on the archives may be a little high for these guys, they still have two solid albums. They don't have any one 'super' outstanding element, but with deep vocals and a strong instrumental backup, these guys are awesome. They seem to suffer a bit on song 'sameyness', but their second album improves on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyig2cScAjk

They just are a solid band, not really many flaws you can poke at.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:02 pm 

There were some good songs in 1982! Just looking at my iTunes the best for me would be Manilla Road's "Cage of Mirrors", Maiden's "# of the Beast", Virgin Steele's "Children of the Storm" and Tank's "Used Leather."

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:10 pm 

My income tax return still hasn't come in yet. I filed on 1/28. They sent me an email saying my new projected date would be March 6th. Fuck the IRS.

My Ebay Store

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:12 pm 

Cage of Mirrors (and Queen of the Black Coast) are so painfully under rated when it comes to the Road discography. That whole album is honestly one of my favorites, because we all know Metal is as good as a love song gets, but those two songs specifically just humble me every time. He was so good at capturing the mood of those stories. What story is Cage of Mirrors sourced from, anyways? Need to read that.

Abominatrix wrote:
....the last Autopsy record was fantastic for me from start to finish.

Edit: Jonpo, I agree with you that generally death metal albums shouldnt' be that long..if they're, I don't know, Sinister or even Incantation albums, perhaps, but I think Autopsy can pull from enough diverse influences to make it work out for them. They do have a lot of elements those other bands sort of lack, as much as they're also favourites for me.

Well, you know if there's any opinion around here I take directly to heart its yours. I wasn't planning on writing off Macabre Eternal without giving it a chance, but I'm definitely planning on trying to snag a cheap used copy just in case. If you're saying you can enjoy it from front to back there's probably a decent chance I will too. And yeah, Autopsy are definitely about as good as death metal gets on Mental Funeral, for my money.

I was hoping to go home early and lay the fuck down but now its looking like I'm probably not even going to get to leave on time. Amon Duul II became too much so now I'm literally just listening to Planet Caravan on repeat over and over.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:18 pm 

Yeah...not to say that I'd like to listen to all of Macabre Eternal every single time I put it on, but, perhaps sadly, I don't do that with as many albums as I used to. I mean, I still feel sometimes that I want to have the complete album experience, but I'm always overwhelmed in the evenings with the amount of stuff I can listen to and yet how little time I have and so usually end up just making playlists full of music while I try and get things done. Anyway, I played it all the way through a couple of times when I got it and never got bored, if that tells you anything. I actually think there's a ton of variety on the album, in terms of pacing, tempo, vocal style, groove...so it keeps things from getting stale. Hope they can keep upthe momentum.

Hope you get some rest tonight. I can't wait to go home myself. I'm sick of wheedling, brown-nosing sticklers, I'm starting to hate the smell of coffee, and I want fresh air.

Edit: Oh, I don't know what story "Cage of Mirrors" draws inspiration from..I always assumed it was Shelton's own sort of sword and sorcery creation, though it reminds me of a Smith story..maybe nothing specific exactly, just the sort of thing he would right. Maybe I'm wrong though. Failsafeman?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:23 pm 

Ah okay, I see where you're coming from. I pretty much strictly put on albums to shut everything else out and listen to them from start to finish. That's why these albums that feel really self-indulgent pose problems for me. Completely identify with your evening listening session problems though. Its compounded by the fact that I live with two people that I want to hang out with so I feel like I'm being an anti-social asshole if I come home and I'm just like "Alright peace guys I'm gonna go lock myself in my room for hours and listen to music". At this point I'm happy to just squeeze in one full-length before bed time.

edit: Man, if he wrote that all on his own I'm even more impressed. It just seemed to have some really specific references (The Griffin with his eyes of blood, staring through my soul, demanding virgin sacrifice...HOW WAS I TO KNOW?!?!). There is a Kull story where a wizard tries to kill him with some mirrors but its not much of anything like this story. Maybe I was wrong, I just assumed it was based on some amazing short story hahah.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:26 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
But the dirty Scot

Fuck off, you filthy Australian.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:27 pm 

Yeah, "THe Mirrors of Tuzun Thune". Great story, i read it again a few weeks back. I love it when Howard decides to get all existential on us. I thought the wizard was pretty cool; too bad he needed a spear in the gut!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:28 pm 

That's the one! Definitely a great tale. I couldn't remember the title, now I know why I looked it up: it's mentioned in By This Axe I Rule from the second Cauldron Born album! I would love to just sit in on a conversation between Shelton and Howie on "weird fiction".

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:39 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
But the dirty Scot

Fuck off, you filthy Australian.

I'm a bogan, you're a sheep shagger, why can't we be friends?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:00 pm 

americanholocaust wrote:
My income tax return still hasn't come in yet. I filed on 1/28. They sent me an email saying my new projected date would be March 6th. Fuck the IRS.

Lack of sex makes people lose motivation in all fields of life, and people handling taxes are probably not the most appealing personalities, so that is a fully valid solution to your problems.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:13 pm 

Napero wrote:
americanholocaust wrote:

Lack of sex makes people lose motivation in all fields of life, and people handling taxes are probably not the most appealing personalities, so that is a fully valid solution to your problems.

:lol:

I chalked it up to them just being lazy dicks, but your theory holds alot of weight, too.

My Ebay Store

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:35 pm 

Vlachos wrote:
Yup, bad idea. What happens when you marry the broad and you inevitably want to shag someone else?

I think everyone experiences that whether they waited or not. It's called attraction, and it never stops. That's why there's monogamy, and integrity.

Vlachos wrote:
Sokaris wrote:
I saved myself for a really hot chick, that was worth it.

No, what you did was either not get to have sex beforehand or you passed up the opportunity to be with some slobs. I see the latter as a neutral, if slightly negative, decision.

How is passing up a slob a negative?

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Waiting for marriage is a terrible idea. Getting to know your sexual compatability with a partner is an important part of knowing how much chemistry the relationship has.

At the risk of sounding crass; you've got to try before you buy.

If she failed to deliver, would you love her less? And if the relationship already has chemistry, isn't that already a good sign?

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I find the idea of teenage boys wanting to "save themselves" a little odd, given how most raging male hormones are. "Moderately attractive? No four o' clock shadow? Err, okay!" (all said in a voice that veers between abnormally bassy and extra squeeky).

I know I'm a minority here, but I'm actually a practicing Catholic. I follow it, and that's a big part. I also happen to like metal music. Another part, is just the feeling that, we may, or may not be together in the future, after all, people break off relationships even in engagements, my mom did. And if that happens, it's not only a "What was the point of that" type situation, it's that now she has to carry all that with her, and so do I. I don't want to do that to someone, whoever she goes on to be with ultimately.

As for Blood of the Nations, I was actually suprised. It has some awesome songs, and I haven't heard anything I don't like. I haven't listened to it straight through in one sitting yet.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:46 pm 

Unifying_Disorder wrote:
If she failed to deliver, would you love her less?

I know several marriages that have failed due to this. It might take a bunch of sixpacks for dudes to admit it, but not getting laid in marriage at least every now and then is the main killer of relationships. Yes, this is one of the "caveman opinions", but anyone denying it is either a blind über-feministic female or a dude with defective nuts (with all due respect for dudes with faulty nuts, my own pair has been operated on once).

It might stem from other things, and in a deeper analysis it could well turn out to be the man's own fault in most cases, but without sex, 99% of long-term relationships are going to die. Please take this at face value, I know guys who actually tried harder than what would be considered appropriate in a Catholic Sharia court, and one dude completely abstained from everything for two years before coming to his senses. I is a big deal.

After reading this you can't say you haven't been warned...

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:49 pm 

Napero wrote:
Unifying_Disorder wrote:
If she failed to deliver, would you love her less?

I know several marriages that have failed due to this. It might take a bunch of sixpacks for dudes to admit it, but not getting laid in marriage at least every now and then is the main killer of relationships. Yes, this is one of the "caveman opinions", but anyone denying it is either a blind über-feministic female or a dude with defective nuts (with all due respect for dudes with faulty nuts, my own pair has been operated on once).

It might stem from other things, and in a deeper analysis it could well turn out to be the man's own fault in most cases, but without sex, 99% of long-term relationships are going to die. Please take this at face value, I know guys who actually tried harder than what would be considered appropriate in a Catholic Sharia court, and one dude completely abstained from everything for two years before coming to his senses. I is a big deal.

After reading this you can't say you haven't been warned...

Oh, I was talking more about quality than frequency. I thought that's what you were talking about too.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:54 pm 

In the words of Josif Stalin, "quantity has a quality of its own". He was talking about tanks, sure, but in the case of sex, it turns into "zero quantity can not have a quality".

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:57 pm 

Well I'd agree with that. No one wants a sexless marriage. But I the point I made about a relationship already having good chemistry still stands. It's not a total blind catch.

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:12 pm 

Practice makes perfect, especially when what you are practicing on can tell you exactly what she wants. So quantity does have that quality haha.

So i would say tanks and sex have a lot in common ;)

But if you have shitty sex that never improves, the lines of communication are probably frayed.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:41 pm 

UD, I get what your saying, sex is an important part of a relationship/marriage, but it isn't the biggest, and from what your saying, it shouldn't be either. There's a difference between guys who are unhappy with their marriage because of no sex and their relationship itself is weak and guys who are just upset with no sex. However, you should also lay on it on the line, I know that this is a problem with marriage/long term relationships, sex gets downplayed by one of the people without any real mention and things can really become problematic. I guess one should just go into relationships honestly, and include how important sex is to one another.

Anyway, it ain't too important for myself, so I don't really relate to lots of others.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:48 pm 

Unifying_Disorder wrote:
Well I'd agree with that. No one wants a sexless marriage. But I the point I made about a relationship already having good chemistry still stands. It's not a total blind catch.

Only to a point. Chemistry does not equate to sexual compatibility. I know this through experience.

Oh and I'd agree with what Philofrog brought up, sex is not the most important part of a relationship. But it is a very significant part of most.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:10 pm 

Many of you have made good points, and I would certainly agree that sex is an integral part of any healthy relationship. I'd imagine that it's rather difficult to have a whole lot of intimacy in a sexless relationship.

But I'd also like to say that there's nothing really wrong with a young man (or woman, for that matter) saving his virginity for the right person, and not spending their young life being highly sexually active, with many different partners. Many would say that it's a foolish and naive thing to do, but even if that's true, I still think it's an admirable method of behaviour, and one that western society on the whole could stand to see more of.

Blame it on my upbringing, I suppose, but I've always found it difficult to have much respect for people with loose sexual morals, and I myself choose not to participate in the rather promiscuous lifestyle of many of the youth around me, and no, it's not because I'm so awfully ugly that I couldn't, but rather because I was raised with very strong moral values, and choose not to.

Oh, and I can attest to Napero's post on sexless relationships above, I've seen more than one relationship slowly break apart due to the bad sex lives of the married individuals. Affairs, fights, etc etc.

last.fm

Last edited by TheOldOne on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:11 pm 

My stupid fucking internet connection is driving me crazy. Luckily, I'm enjoying the new Napalm Death between its bouts of finickiness.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:21 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Oh and I'd agree with what Philofrog brought up, sex is not the most important part of a relationship. But it is a very significant part of most.

It's an important one. But, first and foremost, it is the single most important deal breaker there is. It never makes a marriage, but it has immense power in breaking one.

Just believe it. I've seen enough of other people's problems to know.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:23 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:
But I'd also like to say that there's nothing really wrong with a young man (or woman, for that matter) saving his virginity for the right person, and not spending their young life being highly sexually active, with many different partners.

I can agree with this, and it actually ties into some second hand experiences I've been having over the last year or so (not personally). I work with mostly young, Christian kids. Now, they're all lovely people, but there's a recent marriage spree happening among them and others that they know (my city only has 100,000 people in it, so they all go to the same church and know each other, etc.) The average is a marriage proposal after six months of dating, the shortest dating period I've seen is three before they get hitched. A personal friend of mine said that he wanted his first girlfriend to be his only one, and now they're getting married. The fact that sex and fear of God's judgement is a factor, I think. But what they are really doing just what people have been discussing for the last page or so, except they think that they have a pretty little bow on it. Bottom line, exploration through something like marriage is not a smart thing. I'm not saying you have to "try before you buy" or anything like that, but such a short period of casual dating isn't a great incubation period, and could lead to conflict in places outside the bedroom. Shits complicated. God forbid I get married, but if I do, I'm going to make her live with me for at least a year before doing anything permanent. Close quarters changes people...

Edit: I kind of contradicted myself as I went along. I suppose I more "understand" rather than "agree" with what you're saying. Bottom line, you don't need to be a hedonistic pleasure seeker all the time, but I still don't think a vehicle like marriage is the time to "test drive" your sexuality.
Death metal is eternal.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:31 pm 

Napero wrote:
But, first and foremost, [sex] is the single most important deal breaker there is. It never makes a marriage, but it has immense power in breaking one.

Yeah, that's probably the best point anyone has brought up in this discussion.

Also, RedMisanthrope, agree. Co-habitation is a good idea before marriage. Hell, me and my gf will probably just keep living in sin forever.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:28 am 

Physical attraction and sexual chemistry are just as important as any other aspect in a relationship, and people who deny it are either ugly or with a person they don't find physically attractive.

My Ebay Store

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:48 am 

PeachPit wrote:
Man, Borealis. Power/progfrom canada, and oddly good stuff. While I think the review scores on the archives may be a little high for these guys, they still have two solid albums. They don't have any one 'super' outstanding element, but with deep vocals and a strong instrumental backup, these guys are awesome. They seem to suffer a bit on song 'sameyness', but their second album improves on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyig2cScAjk

They just are a solid band, not really many flaws you can poke at.
Yes I agree with you wholly. I heard their latest when it came out last year and was made an immediate fan. Definitely a band to keep an eye on.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:58 am 

THE SCENE: I go over to a girl's house, I hope for something to happen.

THE BAD NEWS: She's on her period, so therefore most options are exhausted.

THE WORST PART: Having explosive, painful, and smelly bright green diarrhea and trying to have it quietly without her hearing it (and failing miserably).

THE ACTUAL WORST PART: Hearing her in the bathroom above me, shitting just as violently.

Least erotic night ever.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:03 am 

This is the FFA thread, but there ARE limits. Come on now.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:04 am 

BastardHead wrote:
THE SCENE: I go over to a girl's house, I hope for something to happen.

THE BAD NEWS: She's on her period, so therefore most options are exhausted.

THE WORST PART: Having explosive, painful, and smelly bright green diarrhea and trying to have it quietly without her hearing it (and failing miserably).

THE ACTUAL WORST PART: Hearing her in the bathroom above me, shitting just as violently.

Least erotic night ever.

This is the most epic post you have ever bestowed upon us, Bastard.

My Ebay Store

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271 ... 827  Next