Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:20 pm 

I was wondering about the process musicians go through when it comes to making a music video. I know that not everyone will have experience here, but it could be an interesting topic to discuss. Metal is a very DIY oriented music genre so I am hoping that some of the musicians here have done more than just pay someone else to make a video without any band members involved in the process. By all means feel free to share any videos y'all have done.

Also, I was wondering how people feel about the idea of music videos with music overall. Are they unnecessary, distract from the music, etc. or do they add another artistic element and allow the band to express ideas visually in addition to aurally? I clearly think music videos can be cool even though a lot of metal bands have really dumb stuff out there. Once I get more stuff written I could see making a video for one of my projects.

CorpseFister
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:54 pm 

My new wave band has seven music videos, five of which we've done ourselves. The other guys in the band are both very into films and visual art, so it was a pretty natural thing for us to get into. We even invested in a high quality camera and Finalcut for our last few.

Personally, videos that are just a band performance are really not that compelling. They can be used as a promotional tool, but at the end of the day I don't have that much interest in them. We try to create interesting concepts, either thematically or visually and go from there. We've always got a running list of video ideas, plus storyboards or rough shots, and when it comes time that we want to do another we pick a song to match a concept.

This was a video from our last album. Unfortunately it didn't get too many htis, but I'm really proud of it. It was a fucking load of work too, there are hundreds of shots and we used over 20 hours of footage to edit it together. It was loosely based around the idea of alienation and the dehumanizing effect of television, and then trying to tie that into the concept of the uncanny valley by creating stranger, less recognizable images as the video goes on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leolLdABdDc

Oh, we also dropped a tv off a bridge, and set computers, mannequin heads and televisions on fire. It was pretty fun, haha.

This is our latest video. We got life size cardboard cutouts of ourselves and spent about a week creating a 'day in the life' video. We wanted to contrast alienation with everyday life, but in a humorous way, which seemed to work with this song since it has a bit more an electro/indie feel to it than alot of our stuff. It was pretty fun to do, but a fuck load of work as well. There were some really tricky shots like trying to film a cardboard cutout driving a car, or taking the subway. We probably spent somewhere between 40 and 50 hours between filming and editing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbiHdc3g ... e=youtu.be

But yeah, all in all I think its a cool thing to do as band. Just try to do something interesting with it.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:07 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
This is our latest video. We got life size cardboard cutouts of ourselves and spent about a week creating a 'day in the life' video. We wanted to contrast alienation with everyday life, but in a humorous way, which seemed to work with this song since it has a bit more an electro/indie feel to it than alot of our stuff. It was pretty fun to do, but a fuck load of work as well. There were some really tricky shots like trying to film a cardboard cutout driving a car, or taking the subway. We probably spent somewhere between 40 and 50 hours between filming and editing.

Holy shit.... 1:55! I was like "Wait a moment... Isn't that the U of A LRT station?!" Yes it is! I've gotten on and off of that station literally hundreds of times.

3:12: The Rack. I might actually be going there today.

Last edited by Indecency on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CorpseFister
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:09 pm 

Yeah, we've got quite a few of recognizable landmarks in the video. Go Edmonton!

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:12 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Yeah, we've got quite a few of recognizable landmarks in the video. Go Edmonton!

Is that Hawrelak Park early on in the video?

CorpseFister
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:16 pm 

Yup. And actually that’s Pawnshop, not The Rack.

Also, you can’t really tell where it is from the shot, but in the first video I posted we threw a TV off the High Level bridge :lol:

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:20 pm 

Huh? At 3:12, you can see The Rack in the background.

As for Hawrelak, I actually recognized at first because of those weird ass barbecues they have there. It wasn't the field or body of water that clued me in, it was the barbecue =D

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:33 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
My new wave band has seven music videos, five of which we've done ourselves. The other guys in the band are both very into films and visual art, so it was a pretty natural thing for us to get into. We even invested in a high quality camera and Finalcut for our last few.

Personally, videos that are just a band performance are really not that compelling. They can be used as a promotional tool, but at the end of the day I don't have that much interest in them. We try to create interesting concepts, either thematically or visually and go from there. We've always got a running list of video ideas, plus storyboards or rough shots, and when it comes time that we want to do another we pick a song to match a concept.

This was a video from our last album. Unfortunately it didn't get too many htis, but I'm really proud of it. It was a fucking load of work too, there are hundreds of shots and we used over 20 hours of footage to edit it together. It was loosely based around the idea of alienation and the dehumanizing effect of television, and then trying to tie that into the concept of the uncanny valley by creating stranger, less recognizable images as the video goes on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leolLdABdDc

Oh, we also dropped a tv off a bridge, and set computers, mannequin heads and televisions on fire. It was pretty fun, haha.

But yeah, all in all I think its a cool thing to do as band. Just try to do something interesting with it.

CorpseFister, I officially dig your new wave band. How much did all these videos cost? My band is very interested in doing a music video if it's in our budget.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

CorpseFister
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:03 pm 

Cheers thanks man! The new album will be available for free d/l in a few weeks (or couple bucks to cover shipping for physical), I'll give you a shout when its out.

And yeah cost- I should have mentioned that. The videos themselves didnt cost much. Really, the big expense was buying a decent camera that could shoot in HD. I don't know the model (that's not my department) but I think we spent 1500 on it. We did 2 videos using web quality cameras, which turned out fine, but they don't look as good and they are not suitable for TV. Mind you, no one is playing our videos on TV right now, but its worth considering if a band is serious about getting their shit out there. For web only, it should be okay. There are other options though- either hook up with someone who has a camera (maybe a film student) or rent one. If you live in a decent sized city, there is likely a film/directors society that will rent quality equipment on the cheap, or perhaps something coming our of a college or university. Otherwise look into music gear/camera rental places. The downside to that is having a limited time- the amount of time we've spent fucking around with our camera to figure out how to use it effectively and to get the best shots would making renting a nightmare.

Other than that, the video with all the TVs cost maybe 30 bucks- just enough to buy mannequin heads, masks and the DW40, steel wool, and gas needed to start fires with. The rest was all shit we owned or could scrounge/borrow. The video with the cutouts cost a bit more. We spent about 200 getting the cutouts made. The other expense was about 200 dollars worth of beer and 50 bucks worth of pizza for the party scene. We really wanted it to feel real, not staged and lame, so we invited a bunch of people over, gave them a ton of free beer and lo and behold, it turned into a real party :lol:

So yeah, I think a quality camera is the biggest cost issue for a small band trying to film videos. But like I said you could try renting, or there are lower quality cameras that can still do the job.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:15 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Cheers thanks man! The new album will be available for free d/l in a few weeks (or couple bucks to cover shipping for physical), I'll give you a shout when its out.

And yeah cost- I should have mentioned that. The videos themselves didnt cost much. Really, the big expense was buying a decent camera that could shoot in HD. I don't know the model (that's not my department) but I think we spent 1500 on it. We did 2 videos using web quality cameras, which turned out fine, but they don't look as good and they are not suitable for TV. Mind you, no one is playing our videos on TV right now, but its worth considering if a band is serious about getting their shit out there. For web only, it should be okay. There are other options though- either hook up with someone who has a camera (maybe a film student) or rent one. If you live in a decent sized city, there is likely a film/directors society that will rent quality equipment on the cheap, or perhaps something coming our of a college or university. Otherwise look into music gear/camera rental places. The downside to that is having a limited time- the amount of time we've spent fucking around with our camera to figure out how to use it effectively and to get the best shots would making renting a nightmare.

Other than that, the video with all the TVs cost maybe 30 bucks- just enough to buy mannequin heads, masks and the DW40, steel wool, and gas needed to start fires with. The rest was all shit we owned or could scrounge/borrow. The video with the cutouts cost a bit more. We spent about 200 getting the cutouts made. The other expense was about 200 dollars worth of beer and 50 bucks worth of pizza for the party scene. We really wanted it to feel real, not staged and lame, so we invited a bunch of people over, gave them a ton of free beer and lo and behold, it turned into a real party :lol:

So yeah, I think a quality camera is the biggest cost issue for a small band trying to film videos. But like I said you could try renting, or there are lower quality cameras that can still do the job.

That's actually great news as one of my best friends is film/photography hobbyist and he'd definitely be down to help us film it. Was it hard to match the track up with your playing?

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

CorpseFister
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:21 pm 

Perfect, that's a great start.

As for timing, naw. What we did was have the track playing in the background while we filmed so we had the audio cue to line up with. Then its simple to sync it in either Finalcut (which a lot of people seem to use) or even iMovie (which isnt amazing, but is definitely workable).

LordOminous
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:06 pm 

My band is flying off to serbia to do a music video at the weekend, but we don't really have a massive input in the process. I think we're just gonna stand in front of a greenscreen and play our instruments while a director screams at us. All the fun and fancy stuff happens in cgi and post production after we leave.

Astrum502
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:54 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Perfect, that's a great start.

As for timing, naw. What we did was have the track playing in the background while we filmed so we had the audio cue to line up with. Then its simple to sync it in either Finalcut (which a lot of people seem to use) or even iMovie (which isnt amazing, but is definitely workable).

I think this Gygnets is really good. It kinda reminds me of early John Foxx, and a taste of Bryan Ferry.
Not sure if you are familiar with them, but they are singers I liked growing up.

FredSanford
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:44 am 

Apteronotus wrote:
Also, I was wondering how people feel about the idea of music videos with music overall. Are they unnecessary, distract from the music, etc. or do they add another artistic element and allow the band to express ideas visually in addition to aurally? I clearly think music videos can be cool even though a lot of metal bands have really dumb stuff out there. Once I get more stuff written I could see making a video for one of my projects.

The latter. I like to see as much output as the band is willing to give. If they have a vision of the song concept they want to get across, that's great. Even if it's just a performance video, we get to see them playing and what gear they use. :lol:

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:55 pm 

Wow CorpseFister, those videos were really awesome and the music was catchy too! I think the film student route you suggested be a good idea for people that want a higher quality video and can not afford a camera because students are typically desperate for experience. I am hoping I can get a friend of mine to help out if I ever find the time to get some real work done musically. Luckily I live within driving distances of a lot of colleges and somehow ended up with a few friends into film.

LordOminous, do you get to provide any direction with the video? I am kind of wondering what you mean by not having massive input in the process. I can see how it might be something the record label might have all set up, contacting the director, financing, etc. Anyway I hope it works out well and you enjoy your trip to Serbia.

LordOminous
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:11 pm 

Apteronotus wrote:
LordOminous, do you get to provide any direction with the video? I am kind of wondering what you mean by not having massive input in the process. I can see how it might be something the record label might have all set up, contacting the director, financing, etc. Anyway I hope it works out well and you enjoy your trip to Serbia.

The label basically said "hey guys wanna do another music video?" , to which I replied I "we wanna do a video for song X, in which we're totally frostbitten and playing on an iceberg in Antarctica, and there's an epic sea battle going on around us with sea monsters and two huge ass pirate ships". They said "OK!" and set it all up and financed it... the choice of studio to record in was pretty much a no-brainer, as there's a director here who we've worked with before and who is pretty damn pro at doing this mad CGI shit (http://www.youtube.com/user/iCODETEAM/videos). The director wrote the script and all the details, and we have faith in him to make it good. So yeah, right now we're in serbia covered in fake frostbite makeup and theatrical snow (aka shaving foam) making a ridiculous video in a bluescreen studio. We won't see it until it's pretty much finished... we get shown a draft and can suggest a few changes "i look like a retard in this scene, have more shots with naked girls, etc" .Happy days.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:53 am 

apart from music my biggest passion are films so when we have the material
to do a video probably it will be totally home made
its important to be aware of your limitations before making such things
you dont want to find yourself in a z class troma movie (unless is the point
of the music xD)

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Lastfm

LordOminous
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:16 am 

IanThrash wrote:
you dont want to find yourself in a z class troma movie (unless is the point
of the music xD)

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCx4pmCFvBM

I mean, seriously, I thought Virgin Steele were an actual band? What nonsense is this?

Reply to topic