Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:44 am 

Thats it! Wow youre good, thanks man. And to anyone who hasnt heard this, it fucking rules, highly underrated demo.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:50 am 

You're welcome, It was on Peter's page. Got to learn to use MA! :)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:00 am 

oh ok, i honestly didnt know each band member had their own page, just knew that on the vader page they dont show it since he wasnt officially in the band, just played on the demo

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:28 am 

nicor333 wrote:
Any recs for good death metal bands with only ONE guitarist?

I'll recommend Drowned for one from Germany, great stuff.

Another great band, this time from America, and that is Drawn And Quartered.

Also check out Lantern. Really cool stuff.

If you're not already familiar with them, you need to hear Claws from Finland. Really cool old school death.

Another, newer (and fuckin' killer) outfit is Bastard Priest from Sweden.

From Australia is Destruktor. Maybe more of a black/death hybrid, yet there is still some very strong death metal in their style.

All with only one guitarist, all fucking awesome.

My collection

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:24 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
nicor333 wrote:

I'll recommend Drowned for one from Germany, great stuff.

Another great band, this time from America, and that is Drawn And Quartered.

Also check out Lantern. Really cool stuff.

If you're not already familiar with them, you need to hear Claws from Finland. Really cool old school death.

Another, newer (and fuckin' killer) outfit is Bastard Priest from Sweden.

From Australia is Destruktor. Maybe more of a black/death hybrid, yet there is still some very strong death metal in their style.

All with only one guitarist, all fucking awesome.

I will add BONES to this great list.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:32 am 

Looking for something like Entombed's Wolverine Blues.
Something gritty and on the dm side of things, but with a healthy dose of groove.
Thanks all

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:00 am 

Dooders wrote:
Something gritty and on the dm side of things, but with a healthy dose of groove.
Thanks all

You could try Hearse, it's like Wolverine Blues mixed with early Arch Enemy.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:51 am 

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but with bands with one guitarist only, Bloodsoaked. Maybe been heard before, and you either like Peter's work or you don't, he sometimes uses another guitarist on live performances, but this seems to fit perfectly.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:40 am 

nicor333 wrote:

"Good" is rather subjective but my band only has one guitarist. We like a lot of thrash and grind in our death metal though. You can DL both our cassette EPs from the link in my sig. The only parts on the recordings that have more than one guitar track are the solos since there's a backing rhythm part.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:13 pm 

I'm not too crazy about most of the Old school Death Metal revival bands I've heard so far. Most of them don't bring anything new to the table and just sound boring. I checked out Horrendous The Chills because of the good press and ended up being disappointed. Anyone have a good band that plays in that style to recommend?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 271807
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:28 pm 

nicor333 wrote:

Uh, Krisiun?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:52 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I'm not too crazy about most of the Old school Death Metal revival bands I've heard so far. Most of them don't bring anything new to the table and just sound boring. I checked out Horrendous The Chills because of the good press and ended up being disappointed. Anyone have a good band that plays in that style to recommend?

Why did it disappoint you? It has all the great traits of OSDM, from Sweden to Florida with a little step over the Netherlands. It's hard to recommend you something when the best rec I have is the one band/album you don't like. ;)

Anyway, for Swedish DM revival you have Maim, Repugnant or Necrovation, and you can also check out Undergang if you like stuff like Rottrevore or Rippikoulu. Also check out Slugathor and their post-breakup incarnation Desecresy for Bolt Thrower worship mixed with Finnish DM. That should keep you entertained for a while.

~Guest 271807
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:31 pm 

Defiled from Japan is amazing. One of my favorites.

PillarofModern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:08 pm 

Been listening to From Skin to Liquid again, by CC. Can anyone else find a catchy, slow, grindlicious track like this song? Thanks

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:43 pm 

I'm looking for something along the lines of Incantation's "Onward to Golgotha" except with dual high and low screams/growls.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:01 am 

androdion wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

Why did it disappoint you? It has all the great traits of OSDM, from Sweden to Florida with a little step over the Netherlands. It's hard to recommend you something when the best rec I have is the one band/album you don't like. ;)

Anyway, for Swedish DM revival you have Maim, Repugnant or Necrovation, and you can also check out Undergang if you like stuff like Rottrevore or Rippikoulu. Also check out Slugathor and their post-breakup incarnation Desecresy for Bolt Thrower worship mixed with Finnish DM. That should keep you entertained for a while.

It was just so tired sounding. I felt like I could predict everything they were going to do before they did it. I actually haven't heard of most of those bands so thank you, I'll let you know!

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:48 am 

androdion wrote:
Dooders wrote:
Thanks all

You could try Hearse, it's like Wolverine Blues mixed with early Arch Enemy.

I'm liking a lot of parts, but some of the more cheesy melodic bits aren't doin' much for me thus far. I'll keep listening.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:53 am 

Dooders wrote:
Thanks all

Try the swedish band Nine http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nine/20442
They sound very much like Wolverine Blues era Entombed. A number of bands followed Entombed into Death'n'roll territory, but most were nowhere near as good but you could also try Desultory Swallow the Snake lp and Convulse Reflections lp.

While different to Entombed you could also try early Illdisposed, heavy stuff but with a good sense of groove.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:54 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:

I assume you're already familiar with Disma since they get a lot of good press for that style. For Bolt Thrower worship definitely check out War Master from TX and for some swedish action check out Miasmal.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:02 pm 

Lightsbane wrote:
I'm looking for something along the lines of Incantation's "Onward to Golgotha" except with dual high and low screams/growls.

For proper Incantation worship (and quite old too), I recommend you both Dominus Xul albums: The Primigeni Xul and To the Glory of the Ancient Ones.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:28 pm 

@ Dooders - Maybe try their latest album, which is probably their best. They have a small taste for cheese, I'll give you that, but it's a strangely rewarding listening experience. Good recs by Hayisforhorses, especially old Illdisposed which is great, although not that much rot'n'roll.

Also, good recs from dontlivefastjustdie and Kveldulfr on different matters. ;)

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:58 am 

Dooders wrote:
Thanks all

You might check out:

Graveyard (this one: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Graveyard/111014 )
Evocation

And perhaps also Interment.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:05 am 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
Dooders wrote:
Thanks all

They sound very much like Wolverine Blues era Entombed. A number of bands followed Entombed into Death'n'roll territory, but most were nowhere near as good but you could also try Desultory Swallow the Snake lp and Convulse Reflections lp.

While different to Entombed you could also try early Illdisposed, heavy stuff but with a good sense of groove.

Especially diggin' Illdisposed, but I like it all minus Nine. Good rec's! :thumbsup:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:56 pm 

Thanks Androdion and Dontlivefast just die, all those bands were awesome. I especially liked Slugathor and Maim.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:14 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Thanks Androdion and Dontlivefast just die, all those bands were awesome. I especially liked Slugathor and Maim.

Glad I could point you in the right direction. I'll also recommend Coffin Dust (PA). They're not really "old school" per say but they have those tendencies and write some really sick death metal in the Carcass / Exhumed style.

http://coffindust.bandcamp.com/album/an ... uried-evil

edit* My 1000th post. True Internet Metal Warrior.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:53 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

Glad I could help.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:08 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
Dooders wrote:
Thanks all

You might check out:

Bingo! Graveyard hit my request on the head and Interment turned out to be a great band regardless. Thanks

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

Lvcfyre (Mostly like Immolation with a slightly modern sound)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLFkSCjB ... re=related

Morbus Chron (Mostly like Autopsy with the twisting riffwork)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToLtylII ... re=related

Corpsessed (Mix of groovy Swedish death and doomy Finnish death)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd2A078svZc

Entrails (typical Swedish style)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ltxVTWsSy4

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:50 pm 

Lvcfyre (were they just trying to write Lucifer in the most Google unfriendly way?) was fuckin' great. That shrill lead tone was unexpected but utterly devastating. Morbus Chron sucked. The riffs were boring and when the vocals came in, I actually laughed. Then again, I never liked Autopsy either. Corpsessed really nailed that whole "recorded in a tomb" feel, and were really crushing. Nice blend of the two styles. Entrails was pretty good,but a bit too clean for the style they're playing.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:54 pm 

I posted this in the speed metal thread, but in case anybody here has a good rec for me:
TheExodusAttack wrote:
This might be an odd request but bear with me. Some of you may have heard of Revocation, which are supposed to be some sort of new technical death/thrash band. Sounds super boring, right? I thought so to, until I heard this song, which is a pretty interesting modern take on total fucking speed metal. Just listen to the catchy pre-chorus at :56, or the part where the solo speeds up at 2:29. Death metal? Haha yeah right. However, this song is totally fucking awesome and I'm wondering if you guys know anything like it. I.e. super melodic modern speed/thrash metal with a bit of death metal influence only in the drumming and the vocals. Totally awesome meedly-meedly-moo style lead guitars are a must. Anybody up to the challenge? Arsis' debut is also a pretty good indicator of what I'm looking for, as well as this other Revocation track.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:35 pm 

Dooders wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:
You might check out:

Bingo! Graveyard hit my request on the head and Interment turned out to be a great band regardless. Thanks

Sweet. Glad to hear it. :)

Inundium
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:46 am 

ASupervillain wrote:
hippiedrow wrote:
I've been hoping for a thread like this to pop up
Here is my request:
I am looking for death metal with an epic feeling, I would like it to sound something like Nile in terms of epicness, but with brutality and very intellegent lyrics.

Lykathea Aflame- I'm sure you've heard plenty of mixed opinions about this band on the board but they really are worth your time.

Augury- again you've probably heard of them but check them out.

Dark Lunacy- If you decide to only check out one band I recommend then make it this one, pure awesomeness of the most awesome proportions. each album is totally different and each one still manages to be epic, emotional and dramatic. I would start with "The Diarist".

Hacksaw to the throat- Don't let the name fool you these guys are epic, intelligent and they really know how to write a song.

Odious Mortem- Great, brutal, and somewhat like Nile. This band is sick.

I kind of forgot that you were looking for bands that sounded like Nile when I started writing that but each band is epic and brutal.

Just ordered Dark Lunacy only based on your recommendation, I'll let you know how it turnes out.:)

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:42 pm 

I need the fastest, most technical death metal you can find. Like Beyond Creation or Cryptopsy, or faster. Got any suggestions?
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:53 pm 

I want something like Death's SBG (i.e. full of speed, and vocal hooks), but in a Swedish/Floridian style. Any suggestions (I know the obvious bands)?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:32 pm 

Anyone know where I can find HowDisgusting's death metal list?

Bleak731
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:30 pm 

Huh, I just tried to look at his RYM profile says his account has been suspended. That really sucks seeing as how he was a huge help when I was first getting into more obscure death metal.

Edit: Here's one of his lists, hope it helps!
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=51203&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=obscure&start=0

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:58 pm 

Thanks a bunch man.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:46 am 

A preview track from the new Ignivomous album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Xnjetmg98

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:31 pm 

That sounds excellent! Looking forward to the album.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:33 pm 

The new Spawn of Possession track is pretty damn shitty. What a shame.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164 ... 289  Next