Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:14 am 

androdion wrote:
I have to recommend the new (first actually) Anguish album, it's damn good!

I just checked it out on YouTube, and boy, that's great! Not over-keen on the vocals, but I'll be getting that album for sure.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:25 am 

balbulus wrote:
androdion wrote:
I have to recommend the new (first actually) Anguish album, it's damn good!

I just checked it out on YouTube, and boy, that's great! Not over-keen on the vocals, but I'll be getting that album for sure.

Yeah, that's about it. The vocals take a bit to get used to but when they do it clicks and there are plenty of good riffs to revel upon. ;)

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:09 am 

Help im a doom noob. Can anyone recommend me some epic, folky doom? Like the saddest, most epic melodic and melancholic doom around. Acoustic parts and clean passages are a plus. But heaviness is also good. Thanks!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:30 am 

Try Solstice, While Heaven Wept, Procession, Scald and The Flight of Sleipnir to get started.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

paexaea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:02 am 

Holy fucking shit, thank you so much for the Scald recommendation.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:09 am 

No problem man, if you want another good doom band from the ex USSR, check out Gods Tower, really damn good.

grishunden
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:38 pm 

I'm looking for doom acts such as Catacombs - In the depths of r'lyeh. It has this really eerie and mysterious vibe to it which i find spectacular.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:24 pm 

grishunden wrote:
I'm looking for doom acts such as Catacombs - In the depths of r'lyeh. It has this really eerie and mysterious vibe to it which i find spectacular.

Wormphlegm and Tyranny are obvious choices for your typical "scary as hell" funeral doom. ;)

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:39 pm 

Statement: Reverend Bizarre rules. Anyone wants to join me and circle jerk? Now listening to The Festival and it's totally noticeable that this is a Kimi Kärki song. Wouldn't feel out of place on Signs of Osiris.

philosopsycho
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:44 pm 

KYPCK. any doom lover will like the band.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:22 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Statement: Reverend Bizarre rules. Anyone wants to join me and circle jerk? Now listening to The Festival and it's totally noticeable that this is a Kimi Kärki song. Wouldn't feel out of place on Signs of Osiris.

I'll join your circle jerk, dude. It's probably my favorite band of all time. Hellblazer will join too, so it's gonna be epic!!!!

Signs of Osiris was the best doom album of 2011 for me, Kimi was quite underrated, he's as talented as Albert Witchfinder, The Puritan kinda suck, sadly.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:37 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Signs of Osiris was the best doom album of 2011 for me, Kimi was quite underrated, he's as talented as Albert Witchfinder, The Puritan kinda suck, sadly.

Second best according to me. I am also very fond of Dennis Cornelius so Memory Driven's Animus did sway me more than Lord Vicar. However, I will say that LV finally came into their own in 2011. Many of the songs on Fear No Pain did go on for too long, for no apparent reason. Not so on Signs of Osiris. Still, nothing can beat what the chaps did in Reverend Bizarre. I really can't find any real fault in any song they did. Call me a fanboy, I don't care! The band is my favorite band ever. I hope I will see them live again some day. Some of my best concert memories are from Revbiz gigs. Love these guys!

Also I do fucking love The Puritan. Also Opium Warlords. Sami Hynninen has a vision and I agree with it most of the time (if not all the time).

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:47 pm 

I have Lithium Gates on cd, might check it out again, it didn't click at first. Only heard Memory Driven's name, I guess I should check it out.

Also :tongue: I want to see Revbiz so fucking bad. It's one of my biggest sadness in life, along with Cathedral (missed them in MDF :( )

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:56 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I have Lithium Gates on cd, might check it out again, it didn't click at first. Only heard Memory Driven's name, I guess I should check it out.

Also :tongue: I want to see Revbiz so fucking bad. It's one of my biggest sadness in life, along with Cathedral (missed them in MDF :( )

Yeah. The Puritan takes time. It was so for me. At first I just wanted them to sound like Reverend Bizarre, but that wasn't meant to be. In time the greatness (purely subjective, of course) of the music did occur to me. Sami Albert Hyninnen is a great songwriter regardless of the band his in. And he has a certain style to him, a style you notice when you pay attention more carefully. I mean, a few of the songs on Live in Colonia Dignidad (Opium Warlords) are similar to what he did in Reverend Bizarre, for example.

Also meh, I saw Cathedral playing live supporting Candlemass once. Wasn't all that great. Dorrian knows how to put on a good show though. Then again, I'm not a big fan of Cathedral's music.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:10 pm 

I'm a big fan of Cathedral's stuff and their last show gonna be/or were in Australia. I guess they're not popular here, a shame.

BTW, would you be my last.fm buddy????

edit: Memory Driven is very good, perfect mix of prog metal and doom, reminds me of While Heaven Wept at some places.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:20 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I'm a big fan of Cathedral's stuff and their last show gonna be/or were in Australia. I guess they're not popular here, a shame.

BTW, would you be my last.fm buddy????

edit: Memory Driven is very good, perfect mix of prog metal and doom, reminds me of While Heaven Wept at some places.

Memory Driven has the Cornelius flair. If you're into Revelation's album Yet So Far album or Oversoul or Dwell Within. Yeah, he has a certain style to him as well, I guess. That's why I'm a fan. Identity is very important in doom metal. Many can recycle Iommi riffs but playing doom with a unique character is what matters in the end.

Sure, we can be last.fm buddies.

yellowmadness54
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:45 pm 

Albums similar to Matador by zoroaster?
Slow melodic chanting is a plus...

eugene2workman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:56 am 

Thanks.It's an honor to be part of the Social discussion. I do take pride in forum discussion. Thanks for such a great contribution.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:04 am 

eugene2workman wrote:
Thanks.It's an honor to be part of the Social discussion. I do take pride in forum discussion. Thanks for such a great contribution.

?

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:32 pm 

I am looking for consistent stoner (drone doom) that focuses purely on "clean" sections. Like the quiet Kyuss sections, later Earth (especially bees made honey..),certain moments of Isis or some Ahab. There are many more examples but hopefully you'll get what i mean.
Psychedelich and overwhelming is only a plus, speed is not important but melody is. Album recommendations are prefferable.

MariusBR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:31 pm 

Aelter - Dusk Dawn /Follow You Beloved

How is this album? Can`t find them on EM, but RYM says the both of them are a bargain for 16 euros.. Not even sure the album should be mentioned in this thread, but it is my closest bet.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:50 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
eugene2workman wrote:

?

I guffawed heartily at this, Metantoine. Well played, sir.

If anyone can provide recs of instrumental or lyrically sparse fuzzed out, lo-fi doom in the vein of St. Vitus's debut and/or similar sounding albums, it would be appreciated.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

paexaea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:01 am 

Metantoine wrote:
eugene2workman wrote:

?

Uh yeah, I kinda derped too when I saw this.

Still loving Scald, btw. Recommended to all fellow doomheads.

Ludo74500
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:35 pm 

Hello all stoner freaks =)

Can someone recommend me bands like Trippy Wicked & The Cosmic Children of the Knight ?
I dont know exactly their style (psychedelic "groovy" stoner i think...) but i love their 3 LP's.
I've research something to approach that without results...

Thx =)

psycho_gcv
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:23 am 

Does anybody have info on this group?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0RoMcWShYQ

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:55 am 

Looking for for raw, heavy doom/death or very slow death metal. Think of something similiar to Anathema and Paradise Lost's demo's...just better produced would be great. Vocals must be deep and the music in general shouldn't be too melodic.

psycho_gcv
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:00 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Looking for for raw, heavy doom/death or very slow death metal. Think of something similiar to Anathema and Paradise Lost's demo's...just better produced would be great. Vocals must be deep and the music in general shouldn't be too melodic.

http://youtu.be/XA4SbAIXU9Y

AllTooHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:15 pm 

This has probably been recommended already but Pilgrim's 2012 album Misery Wizard is really awesome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2tIWEDG4lo
And I really like the black/doom metal band Isolation from germany
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUpliTUsL6s

How about some futuristic Doom either with sci-fi related lyrics or a futuristic sound kinda like Atreus http://www.archive.org/details/AtreusUndertheGreyFirmament but more Metal and less noise, or some Nautical Doom like Ahab or The Wounded Kings' album The Shadow Over Atlantis, something that makes you feel like you're sinking down into the abyss of the ocean.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:10 am 

Early Saint Vitus is awesome. I'm suprised there hasn't been talk of the new one they've got coming out. I've got some pretty high expectations for it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:43 pm 

Why is Reverend Bizarre so popular? I have So Long Suckers, and it seems like a lot of 20 and 30 minute songs that don't do a whole lot except repeat the same notes over and over. I'm not big into doom, so I know, I probably chose the worst album out there for my first non- Sabbath doom album.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:12 pm 

Well, that's their weakest album by far. But to answer your question, they have huge riffs and epic vocals. They operate on the "if a riff is good, more of it is best" logic.

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:20 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Well, that's their weakest album by far. But to answer your question, they have huge riffs and epic vocals. They operate on the "if a riff is good, more of it is best" logic.

I started a thread about that album the day I got it. Metantoine said that it was one of his favorite albums of all time. I don't see it. I like doom, if it's catchy and has drive behind it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:47 pm 

It's probably just not for you, it happens. It took me a while to get into them because of the sheer repetition. I like them quite a bit now but I don't put them on super often.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:12 am 

Unifying_Disorder wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

I started a thread about that album the day I got it. Metantoine said that it was one of his favorite albums of all time. I don't see it. I like doom, if it's catchy and has drive behind it.

Try their debut if you want to know what Reverend Bizarre is about, but they're not my favorite doom band either.

paexaea wrote:
Still loving Scald, btw. Recommended to all fellow doomheads.

:thumbsup:
Really sucks Agyl couldn't have recorded more...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:31 am 

Unifying_Disorder wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

To each his own, I guess. I like long songs a lot. So Long Suckers is really not the album to start with the band anyway. Their 2 others are more immediate. You might want to check Lord Vicar though, the new project from Rev Biz's guitarist.

Edit: Don't tell me that Anywhere Out of this World is not catchy!

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:07 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Don't tell me that Anywhere Out of this World is not catchy!

Once it finally gets going, at least :P

That and Caesar Forever are the two tracks on that album that were immediate standouts. I still need to listen to that one more myself and not write it off as much.

I'll echo how that's probably the worst one to start with and will second the debut, In The Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:15 am 

Twitching Tongues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aTSpdE1A9g

Last FM

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:23 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... wMoEzcw2kk New Ahab studio teaser. So down.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:21 pm 

For people who are fans of more traditional doom with some stoner influence. Check out Scattered Earth. They broke up but have both of theirs demos streaming on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/ScatteredEarth ... 8091127385
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:04 am 

here's a recommendation :

Mindrot - one of the most underated bands from the 90's post-doom/death scene...amazing apocalyptic gothic crushing doom/death/sludge.......like fields of nephilim colliding with obituary ...all three releases highly recommended

my request : anything like QOTSA circa Rated R or debut ?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 133  Next