Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
germandeather
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:46 pm 

for ex. while listening to Urfaust i think of two dudes sitting in some gloomy basement ,reading the satanic bible and then recording their albums in trance.
When i think of Darkthrone , again, two dudes sitting in a house on a snowy hill in norway jamming around after drinking too much beer and listening to manilla road and agent steel for 48 hours.

It could be about in what circumstances do you think the music was created.
But it can also be some kind of vision. Like Windir's music is related to norways landscape or
Devourment is about slashing whores not just because of the lyrics ,devourment could also sing about anime but i will always think about abuse when a devourment record is spinning in my CD-player.
Its about what do think/imagine or what pictures go through your head while listening to the music ,the aura the song gives you.
Maybe its because you listened to the album while you experienced something like getting baked to cryptopsy or having sex while listening to Carcass...

So basically what do you feel/imagine or remember when you listen to a certain Band/Song/Album.

I hope you got what i'm asking for.

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:39 am 

Listening to Blut aus Nord's "The Choir of the Dead" off of "The Work Which Transforms God" (or any BaN for that matter) makes me think about someone either drunk driving in Hell or having a really bad shroom/acid trip whilst trying to pilot a spaceship.

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:30 am 

When I listen to Sodom I think of Tom singing in a live setting, but dressed as the dude on the cover of "In the Sign of Evil" :evil:

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:41 am 

I was listening to Saracen-Vox In Excelso, a great album about the Crusades and the Templars on my way home from the university this week. My class was history of the crusades, so yeah, I'll let you all imagine what was the subject of my thoughts in the metro.

About Sodom (When listening to M-16 and Agent Orange), I imagine myself alongside Tom in 'Nam haha.

Good music is like a good book, you'll be transported into a fabulous realm inside your imagination.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:13 am 

Metantoine wrote:
About Sodom (When listening to M-16 and Agent Orange), I imagine myself alongside Tom in 'Nam haha.

:snipe: Rofl. That's awesome. I just watched Full Metal Jacket last week. As soon as I got to the helicopter scene with the maniac shooting up the rice fields I immediately thought of the Agent Orange cover art. Come to think of it, considering that the movie came out a couple of years before Agent Orange, I wonder if there's an influence or connection there... "GET SOME BABY, GET SOME!" :lol:

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:06 am 

tehfoks wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

:snipe: Rofl. That's awesome. I just watched Full Metal Jacket last week. As soon as I got to the helicopter scene with the maniac shooting up the rice fields I immediately thought of the Agent Orange cover art. Come to think of it, considering that the movie came out a couple of years before Agent Orange, I wonder if there's an influence or connection there... "GET SOME BABY, GET SOME!" :lol:

And it didn't make you think about Malevolent Creation's Alliance Or War? Because that specific dialogue is sampled at its beginning! ;)

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:17 am 

androdion wrote:
And it didn't make you think about Malevolent Creation's Alliance Or War? Because that specific dialogue is sampled at its beginning! ;)

Haha just heard the song on youtube. Didn't even know about that one! Great song, too. Thx. :metal:

Smalley wrote:

james1902009
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:56 pm 

Basically any place related to the cover art. Like Mayhem's DMDS, I imagine the band inside that church on the cover, in a big echo-y room with a blue haze. Darkthrone's Under A Funeral Moon, they're rehearsing outside at night under, well, a full moon. I always make some kind of association involving the artwork...

Death_Welder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:22 am 

I went through a really rough patch in my life a few years ago and personal details aside, my 2 friends really helped me through it. We went to an amon amarth concert and that was the start of an upswing. So Amon Amarth reminds me a lot of that time period and my friends. Hard to explain, but I'll never forget that concert.

Most bands have a personal story behind them like that for me. A memory with friends, especially Cannibal Corpse

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:00 pm 

I usually relate albums to places I've been.

Hvis Lyset Tar Oss reminds me of back when I used to live in a small town in Germany, the setting of which pretty much resembled the cover of the album. It takes me back to the long walks I took through the mountainous forests.

Stormblast, of all albums, reminds me of the winter I spent in Sweden. Again, forest trekking comes to mind.

Leviathan's Massive Conspiracy Against All Life reminds me of back when I used to live in New York City (before I moved to Germany). I remember being in some of the less luxurious neighborhoods walking alone at night and seeing sorry sights of people with their lives torn apart... The album brings up lots of emotion in me and combines the image of the dark city I lived in with a kind of dystopia, think the City of Angels in the Crow II or Bladerunner. Or even A.I. if you've seen that.

DisembowelMe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:37 pm 

The second album by Darkspace reminds me of a gargantuan black spaceship going around the universe, enslaving sentient beings, torturing them, extracting their agony and distress to condense it into some dark material used to reinforce said spaceship.

Count Dirt Nap
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:05 pm 

So a thread for people with varying levels of autism?

I always imagine Ghoul doing exactly what they say in the lyricsa

The humans in Ziltoid are animated in the Futurama style to me.

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:41 am 

Count Dirt Nap wrote:
So a thread for people with varying levels of autism?

I always imagine Ghoul doing exactly what they say in the lyricsa

The humans in Ziltoid are animated in the Futurama style to me.

Haha I'm assuming you meant this as a joke but if you count ADD as a varying level of autism then yeah, definitely! Haha yeah yeah I know, every suburban white kid who spent their teenage years in the 1998-2006 range got diagnosed with ADD, but still!

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:25 am 

Not exactly on thread, but when I listen to an album heavily in some period of time, then after taking a long break and listening to it again, it brings fucktons of memories from that period of my life. I know this probably happens to everyone, but it affects me really much.

Reply to topic