Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:48 am 

Played the ME3 demo last night, loved it apart from that bow legged running animation :lol: Glad to see some of the older crew members are back.

I've forgotten how terrible MGS2 is. I kinda feel like I should finish it, but getting the motivation is not happening. Otacon and Raiden :ugh:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:04 am 

Pfft. MGS2 is great. Raiden isn't so cool, but the gameplay is fantastic.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:20 am 

Morrigan wrote:

Definitely. The story of 1 with the gameplay of 2 would make my world. That said, I've never played Twin Snakes, so I'm a fool.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:33 am 

Morrigan wrote:

I never minded Raiden, to be honest.

He always just seemed like a normal dude, to me. To a normal dude, a vampire running up the side of a building is "What the FUCK AM I WATCHING" material. People were just upset they weren't playing Snake, who would probably react to said vampire running up said building with mild disinterest.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:02 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Definitely. The story of 1 with the gameplay of 2 would make my world. That said, I've never played Twin Snakes, so I'm a fool.
On paper, Twin Snakes is the best game of the series. In practice though... the new cut scenes are beyond annoying, fuck you very much Ryûhei Kitamura (and fuck your shitty film Versus, the only movie in my life where I actually FELL ASLEEP in the first third of the movie). :nono: They don't ruin the game or anything, but so much abuse of slow-mo and bullet time lameness is very painful to watch.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:03 am 

Ugh Twin Snakes, the most important change is replacing THE FUCKING MUSIC! :nono: I still love the original so oh well, never touching Twin Snakes again.

MGS2 was a blast, another game I beat too many times to count. Story was downright hilarious, but the gameplay and easter eggs were awesome. The VR Missions for that one in Substance was like another game within itself as well, I had so much time on it it was pretty disturbing.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:13 am 

Replacing the music AND fucking the voicework up. Seriously, the rerecorded stuff just sounds so flat in comparison to the original. And Snake kick flipping off a missile :annoyed:

Can't say I agree about MGS2 being great. I didn't really care for it years ago and I definitely didn't this time. I was a big fan of the first game and this one disappointed me when it came out.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:31 am 

Morrigan wrote:
fuck you very much Ryûhei Kitamura (and fuck your shitty film Versus, the only movie in my life where I actually FELL ASLEEP in the first third of the movie)

You hate Versus as much as I do? :beer: Fucking godawful trash. Even worse than Battle Royale.

As for MGS2, I have yet to play it as part of my MGS box set I got recently. Looking forward to it, even if the story is crap. Looking forward to Subsistence more, though.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:32 am 

Love it, MGS2 is gloriously confusing and odd, a great sense of character and politics, wrapped up in such a weird storyline. The last like 1/4 of gameplay? Brilliant!

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:37 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Love it, MGS2 is gloriously confusing and odd, a great sense of character and politics, wrapped up in such a weird storyline. The last like 1/4 of gameplay? Brilliant!

"Raiden, turn the game console off right now!"

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:10 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
Replacing the music AND fucking the voicework up. Seriously, the rerecorded stuff just sounds so flat in comparison to the original. And Snake kick flipping off a missile :annoyed:

Can't say I agree about MGS2 being great. I didn't really care for it years ago and I definitely didn't this time. I was a big fan of the first game and this one disappointed me when it came out.

That said, I still love the original most and think it's perfectly fine on its own. Way better music (sorry Gregson Williams), David Hayter sounded human which was pretty cool, and overall it just explodes 80/90's awesome action movie cheese without the hour long La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo's and Liquid fucking rocked. Had to kill him like 5 times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DetEgFqO3A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPISnnLhnhI

Can't beat 90's synth. So yeah, Twin Snakes is pointless when the original is already perfect.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:44 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DetEgFqO3A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPISnnLhnhI

Can't beat 90's synth. So yeah, Twin Snakes is pointless when the original is already perfect.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK YEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:33 pm 

No, Twin Snakes greatly improved the controls and the gameplay. I don't remember the music and VO being worse either, though it's been a while, but I'm sure it's subtle, compared to the lame, obnoxious and over-the-top cut scenes.

Under_Starmere wrote:
You hate Versus as much as I do? :beer: Fucking godawful trash. Even worse than Battle Royale.

I didn't hate Battle Royale. I found it entertaining, if a bit silly, but at least it kept my interest. Versus was completely without redeeming value, though.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:50 pm 

GOTY - Thief.

So epic that I have an entire sequel to play, TAKE MY MONEY GOG! Pretty sure I'm on the final mission of Thief... so THAT is why Constantine's mansion was so weird? ;)

After this I still have Arx Fatalis, but from there... feels like I might be out of options for more classic late 90's / early 2000's FPS's to play, the best era.

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:34 pm 

I've loved every MGS except 4.... that one was stupidly easy (if you used FaceCamo you basically never got caught and to be honest, you never really had to be sneaky in that game since you're basically a war machine compared to everyone else), the storyline sucked balls in almost every way possible and the bosses (ESPECIALLY after MGS3) were such a disappointment. The entire game felt like it was riding on nostalgia while shitting on the series simultaneously. MGS3 was probably my favorite overall, I loved the whole jungle survival and Sean Connery-era James Bond aspect of it and you no longer had to go to the same rooms five times for once. It also features some of my favorite bosses in video games and an awesome theme as well.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:52 pm 

That scene where the Shagohod rides up the broken bridge and the MGS3 theme tune kicks in. Goosebumps every goddamn time.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:35 pm 

Yeah, MGS3 is probably the franchise's high point, with the first and second trailing on its heels. I was also quite disappointed with #4, but it could have been worse.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:42 pm 

MGS3 is also my favourite, I think. I got the HD collection, I should replay it some time.

MGS4 could have been SO GOOD. What little gameplay parts there were, were pretty awesome. I loved the stalking through that Eastern European city part. But yeah, overall pretty disappointing. :ugh:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

PillarofModern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:44 pm 

Skyrim is the most fun a black metal musician can have...or folk metal, if you dig norse mythology.

Bahamut7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:08 am 

I guess I'm the only one who thinks MGS1 was their finest moment. :P I will admit that it's a matter of nostalgia but it's a game so good that I've gone through it more times than any other game I've ever played in my life. Hard to credit the game less for it. I was really iffy with MGS2, especially with Raiden, the boring relationship with him and Rosemary and some of the forced dialogue. However, it's hard to not love AI Colonel. I will have to get the HD collection at some point, especially for Peace Walker but I'll be getting Silent Hill HD next month and I'd love to go through 2 and 3 again.

I will admit that I am tempted to return to FFXIII after putting it aside for months on end. Turns out I was rather close to the end so I may as well finish it off at some point... Yes, I'm a masochist.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:29 pm 

MGS1 is my overall favorite. Basically in terms of gameplay it went 2>3>1, story 1>3>2, memorability 1>3>2, fun 3>1=2, and the only reason they aren't all equal in terms of fun is because 3 has Snake V The Monkeys, and Ape Escape is my favorite game ever so it was the perfect crossover. The thing is, I've beaten 1 and 2 more times than I can count but I only went through 3 once. If I'm not mistaken it was really fucking lengthy. I've started it more than once and played through huge chunks of the game multiple times, but I can only remember going through the Volgin and Shagohod fights once. The thing that makes 3 better than 2, to me, is the unique and memorable boss fights. 1 had the best, nobody forgets the Psycho Mantis fight, nor the hand to hand Ninja fight, the Sniper Wolf battle, Vulcan Raven in the tank, et cetera. 3 was amazing as well, with The Fear and The Sorrow being just as memorable as anything from the first. And The End? Holy shit that one will never leave my mind if only for the difficulty. It took me an hour to beat him the first time I played through, and that isn't an hour of dying and restarting, it's one continuous hour of trying your hardest. 2? Geez I have trouble remembering who all you fight. The Fortune fight was lame and Vamp was fairly standard and apart from the two battles at the end they were pretty boring and standard.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:14 pm 

MGS1 is my favourite. Unforgettable bosses and storyline. It's part of the reason why I was so disappointed by MGS2. It sucked for both and was filled with cringeworthy moments. The Otacon and Emma side plot was terrible and also extremely creepy. They liked to 'play house' where they were both husband and wife. And then Otacon was banging the stepmum? What is this all about.

What is it with the token 'character who pisses themselves' as well? Kojima sure is a strange man.

MGS3 isn't that lengthy. Beat the HD version in about 10 hours.

~Guest 271807
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:32 pm 

Anyone hacking through Kingdoms of Amalur?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:01 pm 

Mass Effect 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4II7wSSXp0

Man, I play sci-fi games to get away from Earth. I want a sci-fi series where Earth gets the Death Star treatment and too bad, move on. I swear this game better be bigger in scope than it's looking (ie give me more planets and locales and not just Earth...) and boy it's going to be such a cheesy over the top conclusion, no doubt.

Now I'm loving the multiplayer demo with friends, good stuff. But it's still safe to say the art direction went to crap. I really want to know if they lost some artists / concept artists after the first game, the sci-fi greatness just doesn't even compare. It's pretty much Halo at this point. Forerunner architecture is the only thing I ever really liked artistically from the Halo verse.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:09 pm 

I was discussing ME with some guys from my World Religions class today. A couple of us agreed: ME has no story.

aka it's stock generic sci-fi pulled from a hat. A couple people disagreed, but they just don't know what they're talking about. ;)
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:20 pm 

Thanks for reminding me Nahsil.

Pre-ordered ME3 today woop woop, can't wait for this.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:40 pm 

I'll still enjoy it, but this series could have been so much more. The first game was more subtle, had a sense of scope and adventure, good characters and villains, etc. Honestly looking back on it the second game pretty much had no story at all, it was all about hearing your characters stories... but beyond that, it offered hardly anything else other than oh no, millions of Reapers are coming to attack. The Collectors were completely uninteresting compared to the Geth, and there was no Saren like character or anything. The game would be pretty flat if your characters didn't have any backstory or things to talk about, when the first game only had that kind of focus in the background with most story upfront.

Obviously I don't think ME3 will improve upon that since it just looks like something Michael Bay directed at this point.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:57 pm 

Yeah, what really gets me about the Mass Effect series after the first game (even more than the loss of a coherent plot) is that the universe lost pretty much everything unique. The first game really pulled you in - there was that really cool slick sci-fi look everything had, all the environments were pretty and interesting, and there was also that absolutely superb 80's electronic-inspired soundtrack. The second game pissed away all the cool art direction in favor of gritty, dark blandness, and ditched the cool, unique soundtrack for bland "epic" pseudo-holywood generic orchestral stuff. I honestly just don't know what happened.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:17 pm 

satanic_neumann wrote:
http://www.nextfrictionalgame.com/

Sequel for Amnesia? In China? This is really interesting to say at least.

Apparently the title is "A Machine For Pigs" and there's some new concept art up.

Concept art generally doesn't mean shit when it comes to the actual game, but I'd welcome some more diversity and detail in the environments, as much as I like stone walls and generic bookshelves.

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:51 am 

bamahammer wrote:
Anyone hacking through Kingdoms of Amalur?

Just started this one yesterday. Too early to say much but for some reason i really liked this game since the demo and my opinion hasn't changed. I'm planning to play as finesse/sorcery guy, usually i'm not a huge fan of magic users in rpgs but in Amalur its fun to play as such.
I heard that this game should be really easy even on hard difficulty. Well, i started as normal and nearly got my ass kicked twice in the first dungeon haha, the mine with bunch of kobolds. I guess it gets easier later when i got better gear.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:10 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
I'll still enjoy it, but this series could have been so much more. The first game was more subtle, had a sense of scope and adventure, good characters and villains, etc. Honestly looking back on it the second game pretty much had no story at all, it was all about hearing your characters stories... but beyond that, it offered hardly anything else other than oh no, millions of Reapers are coming to attack. The Collectors were completely uninteresting compared to the Geth, and there was no Saren like character or anything. The game would be pretty flat if your characters didn't have any backstory or things to talk about, when the first game only had that kind of focus in the background with most story upfront.

Obviously I don't think ME3 will improve upon that since it just looks like something Michael Bay directed at this point.

Honestly I thought the Collectors were a cool idea, the thing that they lacked was, as you said, a Saren type character to be the main villain. ME1 wouldn't have been nearly as good if it had just been Sovereign the whole time, Saren really made the conflict feel a lot more personal. They tried to do that in ME2 by making the Collectors blow up your ship, but they were just faceless aliens for the most part, not something you could really feel personal animosity toward. That's why they ended up having to put the focus a lot more on side missions, because the main mission was kind of bland, even though it could've been awesome.

Shit, imagine if there had been some sort of conspiracy in the Earth government that maybe involved the human crewmember you saved in ME1 (Ashley or the other guy), say they were covering up the Collectors' gobbling up the colonies for mysterious reasons. Then that would've provided a better reason for joining Cerberus, because you couldn't trust anyone in the human military. "If you can't trust Ashley (who the fuck saved the other guy) then who can you trust?" kind of thing. Plus it would've given it a bit more gravitas, what with getting betrayed by someone whose life you saved previously.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:32 pm 

I saved Kaiden rather than Ashley. Ashley was a pointlessly xenophobic moron, while Kaiden was level-headed and intelligent (if annoying). I'll take the latter.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:21 pm 

He also had the personality of a toaster. I'll take xenophobic over boring any day (in terms of fictional character traits, anyway).

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:20 pm 

satanic_neumann wrote:
http://www.nextfrictionalgame.com/

Sequel for Amnesia? In China? This is really interesting to say at least.

Things are official, as the ARG-decipherers suggested, the next Amnesia game is subtitled "A Machine for Pigs" and is being developed by the guys behind award-winning walking simulator "Dear Esther"; The Chinese Room, with Frictional as producers.
Producers, How fancy! releasing Amnesia without any sort of publisher contract has apparently made another small indie company filthy fucking rich.

Not sure about the Chinese Room though, they have atmoshere and evironment design down but with an Amnesia sequel we'll also be expecting some game in our game.
They already have an engine ready to go though (or so I assume), how hard could it be?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:50 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Honestly I thought the Collectors were a cool idea, the thing that they lacked was, as you said, a Saren type character to be the main villain. ME1 wouldn't have been nearly as good if it had just been Sovereign the whole time, Saren really made the conflict feel a lot more personal. They tried to do that in ME2 by making the Collectors blow up your ship, but they were just faceless aliens for the most part, not something you could really feel personal animosity toward. That's why they ended up having to put the focus a lot more on side missions, because the main mission was kind of bland, even though it could've been awesome.

Shit, imagine if there had been some sort of conspiracy in the Earth government that maybe involved the human crewmember you saved in ME1 (Ashley or the other guy), say they were covering up the Collectors' gobbling up the colonies for mysterious reasons. Then that would've provided a better reason for joining Cerberus, because you couldn't trust anyone in the human military. "If you can't trust Ashley (who the fuck saved the other guy) then who can you trust?" kind of thing. Plus it would've given it a bit more gravitas, what with getting betrayed by someone whose life you saved previously.

This random post = better plot than ME2.

Sums up my thoughts on Saren and his involvement pretty well in the first game.

Illusive Man isn't that great either, definitely doesn't fit that Saren villain kind of bill, and he's probably just an AI or connected to the Reapers. Meh.

I hate how Shephard's kind of become the T-1000 as well. It's admittedly been years since I played the first game, but if I remember right he felt a little more human, the world didn't revolve around him, but it's the complete opposite now. He's the unstoppable all important Jesus Christ saving the universe at this point.

Well hopefully you can bang Liara.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:52 pm 

So does that mean Frictional is not going to participate in the actual game-making? That would be a shame. I liked Dear Esther and even felt it had some artistic depth that Amnesia could have used, but I'd feel better with Frictional doing the basics and TCR advising, or something like that. On the other hand it may help to avoid sequelitis.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:55 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Well hopefully you can bang Liara.

That's what my thoughts are on 3 at the moment.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:30 am 

Liara is some hot alien puntang, dayum

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:21 pm 

I want to have the ability to bang some Krogan broad in ME3 ohhh yeah.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:45 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
I want to have the ability to bang some Krogan broad in ME3 ohhh yeah.

rule34.paheal.net/

Have fun. :puke:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 392, 393, 394, 395, 396, 397, 398 ... 940  Next