Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:43 am 

Metal Church's Blessing in Disguise

One of the best thrash metal albums ever but I really listen to it occasionally.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:48 am 

Mastodon - All albums pre The Hunter.

I love all those albums but I just think I listened to them way too much. Haven't listened to them in a long time but I still hold them in high regard!

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:50 pm 

Harlequin_Fetus wrote:
Mastodon - All albums pre The Hunter.

I love all those albums but I just think I listened to them way too much. Haven't listened to them in a long time but I still hold them in high regard!

This
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Death_Welder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:07 pm 

Well, I'm more of a band person versus albums. Meaning for the most part I'll enjoy a band's entire discography versus saying I only like albums X, Y, and Z of a certain band. Having said that, a band that I REALLY love when I'm occasionally in the mood is Hate Eternal. It's very brutal and larger-than-life type material, excellent vocals, memorable songs, great music. But sometimes I just need something less...chunky. It's like having a large meat lovers pizza for breakfast, it's really fucking good but it just isn't the right time and place

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:24 am 

Agreed on a couple of the others about most thrash, it's something I really can't listen to if I'm not feeling particularly energetic.

Also Cloven Hoof's "A Sultan's Ransom" is really a mood album for me, a lot of the time I listen to it it just doesn't click but then once in awhile, BAM, it's grandeur is unleashed upon my ears. Not sure what it is about the album, as it doesn't seem particularly inaccessible.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:26 am 

Well, ya can't just listen to Stormcrowfleet on a sunny day.

Gompidge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:45 pm 

If I am feeling sick/hungover then something overly technical does seem a bit too much for me and I tend to restrict my listening of quality albums to my music room, but things such as the weather or season don't effect me.

On a slightly different tangent, I very rarely listen to my favourite albums. There's quite a few I've not listened to for atleast 5 years, mainly so I don't spoil the experience/get too used to them. I will have to revisit them soon though.

simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:16 pm 

This happens a lot to me. There are albums that I love so much but I don't listen to it occasionally. Hence for example, I recently have heard Mandator's Initial Velocity and it is an EXCELLENT thrash metal album from the Netherlands but I'm struggling to play it again even though, I loved the FUCK out of it and I highly recommend it especially the epic song: Black Rose.

Yeah, there are a lot of albums that give me the same feeling. Another honor mention that I recently loved is Theocracy's As The World Bleeds... great album from start to finish.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:07 pm 

Opeth - Orchid

Pales in comparison to literally everything else they've ever done. Still like it, though.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:27 pm 

Most funeral doom (the good ones). Funeral doom is one of the first genres I mention when I get asked what kind of metal I like, but I wouldn't say I keep any FD discs in "constant rotation". Exceptions of course: "Stormcrowfleet" and "Stream from the Heavens" come to mind. "Antithesis of Light" has been sneaking in more plays too, but just the title track mostly.
Death metal is eternal.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:21 pm 

Primal Fear's Seven Seals. It's not bad or anything, but I just can't listen to it daily. :/ I need to set the mood properly, like when I cut my lawn. Something like that.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:01 pm 

Any of the Darkspace LP's.

SGblack
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:37 pm 

Summoning

CrustAsFuckExistence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:46 pm 

Definitely Deathspell Omega's "Fas...". Brilliant album, I love hearing it on the occasions on which I do listen to it, but I have to be in a very particular mood; it's simply too intense and abrasive most of the time. Strangely, I can listen to (somewhat) similar bands like Blut Aus Nord, S.V.E.S.T, Ulcerate, Mitochondrion, Gorguts, etc pretty much any time, though.

On the other hand, anything like Summoning or Bal Sagoth (or any of the few Power Metal bands I enjoy, or most "Viking Metal" bands) is also very much "mood music" for me- to really get into this kinda stuff, I pretty much need to have just come off a LOTR bender, or have been reading up on Norse mythology or King Arthur or something, haha...

Atmospheric Black Metal (solo)

Burning_Missive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:44 am 

Besides Primordial's more recent outputs:

The Ruins of Beverast - Unlock the Shrine, Rain Upon the Impure, Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite. I love this project so much and have the utmost respect for Alex, but the music on all of his albums is so rich that I feel like most things I could listen to after one of those albums will unfortunately pale in comparison. The only stuff I can listen to is stuff just as hard hitting, like newer Primordial, Godspeed You! Black Emperor or either of Agalloch's first two albums.

Void of Silence - Human Antithesis. This album would not be what it is if it weren't for A.A.'s vocal contribution. If you think he's depressing on Primordial albums, this album makes his Primordial work seem almost tame by comparison. The only problem with Human Antithesis (for me) is that I rarely listen to anything past the first track. The reason for this is because the first track is 20 minutes long and sets up perfectly just how depressing the whole album's going to be. I'm almost always worn out by the end of it and don't have much interest in listening to the rest of the album, which is a shame because it's all top-notch music.

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:02 am 

Lulu

I like it when I listen to it, I just can't really bring myself to listen to it

Last edited by usernamepassword on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:25 am 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Opeth - Orchid

Pales in comparison to literally everything else they've ever done. Still like it, though.

Interesting, considering how mediocre almost everything else they've done is (aside from some good parts on each album). When it comes to Opeth, it's always a matter of how many good parts there are compared to the amount of uninspired drivel, but the fact is that they're mostly unable to write a good album, or even a good song, though Åkerfeldt has penned some good riffs. I rank Damnation and Orchid the best, and Damnation mostly because of the guitar solos and atmosphere.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:49 pm 

Negura Bunget's n'Crugu Bradului. Wonderful album, but the Long intros to each song are quite exhausting

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:12 pm 

Anything by The Project Hate. I have to REALLY be in the mood for infinitely long songs.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Seelenfeuer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:14 pm 

Any Of the first four Iron Maiden albums that have Bruce Dickinson on them would be in this category for me.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:29 am 

Seelenfeuer wrote:
Any Of the first four Iron Maiden albums that have Bruce Dickinson on them would be in this category for me.

How come? Those are some of the albums I can easily turn on at any time, whereas anything else by Maiden apart from the Di'Anno era are something I can only listen to occasionally.

Seelenfeuer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:43 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Seelenfeuer wrote:

How come? Those are some of the albums I can easily turn on at any time, whereas anything else by Maiden apart from the Di'Anno era are something I can only listen to occasionally.

Bruce Dickinson's vocal style is very hammy at times and his whole recording persona tends to turn me off and keep me from enjoying them as much as the Di'Anno albums. There's no songs on them that are as cool as "Phantom of the Opera" anyway. I actually really like some singers who were obviously inspired by him (such as John Arch) because almost none of them come across like he does.

nurmengard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:07 am 

I've got to admit it...but i don't want to...grrrr.

Silencer's Death Pierce Me

I actually listen to it more commonly than many people could stand because sometimes I want to hear a comedy album involving a vocal duet between Gollum and the Kool-aid Man (his most notable appearance on the album is at 5:23 on the track "Sterile Nails and Thunderbowels") singing songs about eating cats and "CRUSHING THE FUCKING LION OF JUDAAAAAAAH GRARARGH!"

Other times I actually think that it is a pretty cool black metal album that defies subgenre boundaries to combine the emotional tone of SDBM with a much more straightforward rock oriented musical approach which is actually pretty catchy. Nattramm is a really silly vocalist but one has to admit that he could pull off varied vocal approaches and did put in a seriously intense performance.

Seelenfeuer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:14 am 

Silencer is just a wannabe Dictius Te Necare anyway

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2