Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:48 am 

Welp, that made me look silly. Props to the drummer. Gonna go make myself feel better by watching Ian Paice one handed drum roll videos. IT'S A GRAVITY BLAST DAMN YOU!
Death metal is eternal.

ChurningtheMaelstrom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:01 am 

I've listened to SMRC probably a hundred times, and I always wondered about the drumming...I always thought it was so good that it couldn't be real haha, especially on the instrumental part of "Hetoimasia"...whether it's machine, or half-machine or whatever, it's fuckin awesome and totally makes the album as great as it is. As for the other albums, Idk it just doesn't click as well for me but is still excellent regardless of its origin.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:31 pm 

I think that since their inception DsO have had more than one drummer, but I've never got the feeling they were programmed, unlike countless other BM bands. they never felt plastic, industrial. plus, for the people claming it is impossible to drum like this... well, I recommend you people to listen to drummers like frost, flo, longstreth, dude from lykathea aflame, dude from ulcerate, among others. IMO, the guy from DsO is just a french(?) drummer with some mad skills but very much human.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:10 pm 

Various people wrote:
Stuff about the drumming on DsO's "Abscission"

Reading over this thread and spotting the discussion about this track made me curious, so I went back and listened to it as carefully as I could with headphones.

During the parts where it appears that the drummer is playing the ride cymbal simultaneously over a roll across the toms, this is what I hear:

A 16th note single stroke roll with the right/leading hand on the ride and the left/offbeat hand descending across the toms, with the kicks playing 16ths filling in the space. Or alternately, a blast beat with the snare replaced with a decent across the toms, again with 16ths on the kicks to fill the space.

I think what people are hearing stems from the tempo blurring things together-the tempo is blazingly fast and the impression of 16ths on drums with an overdubbed cymbal likely comes from the combination of the kicks and toms. This phrase is so short and it flies by at such a fast pace that if you're not counting carefully along with it, offbeats can be mistakenly heard as downbeats rather easily.

This is not anything a moderately skilled human extreme metal drummer could not play-in this case, the added skill in DsO's drummer comes from playing it as cleanly as it is at the tempo DsO is playing at.

/my $.02

More on topic, it's my personal opinion that DsO's drummer is human, but the drums are triggered and compressed beyond belief to ensure as much consistency in the hits as possible (this is very evident in the beginning of the first track on Kénôse-the snare hits are so triggered and compressed that they are totally out of dynamic compared to what the rest of the band is doing). I pick up on a perceived "human element" in the phrasing and feel of the drumming on their later records. But the idea that the drumming in this band is either spliced from multiple short takes or programmed altogether would not surprise me one bit.

Regardless, the drumming style fits the chaos of the music perfectly, and I suppose any approach to achieving that is simply a means to an end.
Obliteration

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:19 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
Various people wrote:
Stuff about the drumming on DsO's "Abscission"

Reading over this thread and spotting the discussion about this track made me curious, so I went back and listened to it as carefully as I could with headphones.

During the parts where it appears that the drummer is playing the ride cymbal simultaneously over a roll across the toms, this is what I hear:

A 16th note single stroke roll with the right/leading hand on the ride and the left/offbeat hand descending across the toms, with the kicks playing 16ths filling in the space. Or alternately, a blast beat with the snare replaced with a decent across the toms, again with 16ths on the kicks to fill the space.

I think what people are hearing stems from the tempo blurring things together-the tempo is blazingly fast and the impression of 16ths on drums with an overdubbed cymbal likely comes from the combination of the kicks and toms. This phrase is so short and it flies by at such a fast pace that if you're not counting carefully along with it, offbeats can be mistakenly heard as downbeats rather easily.

This is not anything a moderately skilled human extreme metal drummer could not play-in this case, the added skill in DsO's drummer comes from playing it as cleanly as it is at the tempo DsO is playing at.

/my $.02

More on topic, it's my personal opinion that DsO's drummer is human, but the drums are triggered and compressed beyond belief to ensure as much consistency in the hits as possible (this is very evident in the beginning of the first track on Kénôse-the snare hits are so triggered and compressed that they are totally out of dynamic compared to what the rest of the band is doing). I pick up on a perceived "human element" in the phrasing and feel of the drumming on their later records. But the idea that the drumming in this band is either spliced from multiple short takes or programmed altogether would not surprise me one bit.

Regardless, the drumming style fits the chaos of the music perfectly, and I suppose any approach to achieving that is simply a means to an end.

Great analysis, man!! Haha I'm glad other people are as interested in this guy/machine as I am, except I'm not a drummer so I don't have the technical know-how to figure out exactly what the fuck is going on with the drums.

Someone mentioned Blut aus Nord earlier, Vindsvall's another guy that I'm really interested in. Maybe I should start a separate thread about BaN, but they claim to have a drummer even though the drums to me definitely seem programmed...what's the deal with that??

RedMisanthrope

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:34 pm 

BaN have a guy that's credited with "drum programming". Weather that means he writes the drum patterns then plays them through a program, or plays an electronic kit...not sure. You can never be sure about French black metal artists.
Death metal is eternal.

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:35 am 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
BaN have a guy that's credited with "drum programming". Weather that means he writes the drum patterns then plays them through a program, or plays an electronic kit...not sure. You can never be sure about French black metal artists.

We're both talking about this dude, right?

http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/W.D._Feld/479

RedMisanthrope

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:56 am 

Yep. I've just seen him credited with drum programming before ("The Work...", I think)
Death metal is eternal.

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:33 am 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
Yep. I've just seen him credited with drum programming before ("The Work...", I think)

Sometimes I feel like it's just Vindsval and the rest of the members are made up. I don't know why.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:47 am 

...Then again, who knows, really?
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:12 pm 

About DEATHSPELL OMEGA, I thought Shaxul handled the drums on early recordings, and another new drummer was introduced from SMRC on.

Now I tend to think that the same drummer from Hirilorn (named Yohann) did all the band's drum parts, assuming he progressed a lot.

Anyway, people stated that it could only be a drum machine, because sometimes cymbals are played above fills. But if you listen carefully to "Funeral Fog", there are also parts where Hellhammer keeps hitting the hat while rolling on tom-toms. Overdub?

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:44 am 

KFD wrote:
About DEATHSPELL OMEGA, I thought Shaxul handled the drums on early recordings, and another new drummer was introduced from SMRC on.

Now I tend to think that the same drummer from Hirilorn (named Yohann) did all the band's drum parts, assuming he progressed a lot.

Actually thats very true, according to Shaxul (recent interview), he mentioned that he played drums on early DSO records, so its very likely that SMRC has totally new drummer. He also mentioned that other members of Hirilorn, Yohann and Sinn, left the whole metal scene.

After Kenose was released i though the drummer would be Azk.6 from Arkhon Infaustus (plays in Sektemtum nowadays, great debut album by the way!), very technical drummer.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:30 pm 

Possible, I don't listen to Arkhon Infaustus, so I cannot tell.

Infernalord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:38 am 

Come on people, I'm pretty sure that Deathspell Omega uses the services of a human drummer. I managed to learn the song and do a video cover of it, so any dedicated drummer can do the same... all it takes is time, patience and dedication.
Some stuff might be chaotic yeah, but still sound humanly playable to me.

I prefer the feeling that you can feel on "Chaining the Katechon" or "Paracletus". And feeling is all that matters, really. And I am saying this as a drummer...

PS - If you think DsO sounds unplayable, go listen to Ulcerate then. I am far more impressed by the work of Jamie from Ulcerate than the DsO's drumwork.

PS2 - Allow me to suggest you to discover a Portuguese band called Concealment, their work is based on dissonant riffs and rather unusual tempos. Great, great drum work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwn9Jxgpy8s

Cheers.

TheScumbag
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:57 pm 

I've been thinkin' for a while that the drummer of the last DsO albums is the drummer from Mgla and Kriegsmaschine, i mean, i've seen a concert with Clandestine Blaze [A Mikko Aspa project] playing along with Mgla, so i think they know eachother, and some drumrolls on the latest Kriegsmaschine album [Enemy of Man] have that style of drumming... I don't know, it's only an idea that i had in my head for the last year.

Cheers.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2