Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:15 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Some really interesting recs,I take back what I said about ambient black metal. I knew paysage d'hiver,forgot to mention them. Mesmerizing stuff.

Check out Evilfeast, I find his ambient work some of the best, start with the "Lost Horizons.." album, his work is alot more grim than the norm but alot of the keyboard passages are beautiful. Also, try Walknut's " Grim Forest's.." album, it is labelled as atmospheric black metal but I find their overall sound very similar to Coldworld.
I would also highly reccommend Lustre, a lot of his work is slow and lenghty but the atmosphere he can create is stunning, works a treat.

Macaroni_Maniac
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:42 am 

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for more bands like Hellhammer. I already know Warhammer and Apokalyptic Raids, but I know there have to be many more of them.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:13 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Some really interesting recs,I take back what I said about ambient black metal. I knew paysage d'hiver,forgot to mention them. Mesmerizing stuff.

Steer clear of Wrath of the Weak. They are often labeled as atmspheric bm or ambient bm, but in truth they are ambient BS. If you like black metal without any riffs, though... Keep that in mind while I'll try and think of something to recommend... ;P

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:15 pm 

Macaroni_Maniac wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for more bands like Hellhammer. I already know Warhammer and Apokalyptic Raids, but I know there have to be many more of them.

If you don't already know of them Von are amazing. Also check out Xibalba- Not the Hardcore band, mind you.

Naxxar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:38 pm 

Hey really there are 2 things i'm looking for, First i'd like to know of some bands that sound like Wolves in the Throne room, I already know of agalloch and i was hoping to find more. The other thing i'm looking for is is there any bands that sound like Mayhem with albums like Deathcrush I loved mayhem but after dead the lyricists mostly sucked :P

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:24 pm 

For the first request, I suggest looking into Fen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LMcI962Vuo

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:06 am 

Naxxar wrote:
Hey really there are 2 things i'm looking for, First i'd like to know of some bands that sound like Wolves in the Throne room, I already know of agalloch and i was hoping to find more. The other thing i'm looking for is is there any bands that sound like Mayhem with albums like Deathcrush I loved mayhem but after dead the lyricists mostly sucked :P

Based on the variety of bands to which I have seen Agalloch described as being similar to I can safely say that all bands sound like Agalloch, thus all bands sound like WITTR, thus you can pick any black metal band out of a hat.

You mean vocalists? Dead wrote lyrics on DMDS, so you can look there for more dead lyrics. Dead didn't do the vocals on "Deathcrush", though, that's Maniac who also sang on "Chimera".

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:30 am 

Naxxar wrote:

I tend to recommend Ash Borer to WitTR fans.

jute
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:54 pm 

Could anyone suggest some music like Samael's Ceremony ofOpposites? I guess defining characteristics might be mid tempo grooving, use of harmonics, (no more than) subtle industrial touches, and a certain strange atmosphere.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:09 pm 

Try this one.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:03 pm 

for agalloch and wittr type bands, also look into alcest, altar of plagues, and alda. these bands should please all fans of this style.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:24 pm 

jute wrote:
Could anyone suggest some music like Samael's Ceremony ofOpposites? I guess defining characteristics might be mid tempo grooving, use of harmonics, (no more than) subtle industrial touches, and a certain strange atmosphere.

Godkiller's LPs are very much like "Ceremony of Opposites" in the total mix of 'tude, sounds, cadence and general influences.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:14 pm 

I am really enjoying Trimonium's blow the horns. I find it straddles that 'triumphant' sound without it negating to over-the-top displays of cheesiness one could associate with that word. Been getting back in to a BM mood these days and this definitely hit the mark this time.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:51 am 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
I am really enjoying Trimonium's blow the horns. I find it straddles that 'triumphant' sound without it negating to over-the-top displays of cheesiness one could associate with that word. Been getting back in to a BM mood these days and this definitely hit the mark this time.

Funny you should mention this apex, I have just picked up a copy of this cd for 1.99! Looking forward to hearing it now.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:23 am 

Eli_the_Destroyer wrote:
for agalloch and wittr type bands, also look into alcest, altar of plagues, and alda. these bands should please all fans of this style.

Alcest and Altar of Plagues? Come on, what do those two even have in common? Neither sounds at all like Agalloch or WitTR (though Agalloch is also metal for pussies like Alcest, but even so not nearly to the same extent). I've never heard Alda - why do I have a feeling that neither that has anything to do with those bands...

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:44 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I've never heard Alda - why do I have a feeling that neither that has anything to do with those bands...

Hey Ilwhyan, if you have not checked out Alda, do so man, their latest album is actually a good slab of cascadian black metal, some great acoustic work on it mate, I got the cassette version (only format at present) from the band and found it quite enjoyable. The album will be due out on cd soon from Pest productions, I think you will enjoy it.
As for the Agalloch reccommendations I will add Gallowbraid to the list (will we ever see a debut full length??).

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:57 am 

STORMM wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
I've never heard Alda - why do I have a feeling that neither that has anything to do with those bands...

Hey Ilwhyan, if you have not checked out Alda, do so man, their latest album is actually a good slab of cascadian black metal, some great acoustic work on it mate, I got the cassette version (only format at present) from the band and found it quite enjoyable. The album will be due out on cd soon from Pest productions, I think you will enjoy it.
As for the Agalloch reccommendations I will add Gallowbraid to the list (will we ever see a debut full length??).

I might, though I'm not that keen on Cascadian bands. Their style is fine, but not all are master songwriters, or musicians.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:40 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

All i can say is you obviously dont listen to any of the bands mentioned, so think twice next time before you try to start an argument.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:48 pm 

Naxxar wrote:

Not like WIITR specifically, but Drudkh's Handful of Stars very kinda shoegazy/post rock, also the other Neige-related projects Amesoeurs and Lantlos should please you. Check Les Discrets too, it's very soft metal with certain degree of black metal riffing here and there.

I'm getting little out of the request, but Ulver's Bergtatt, October Falls's Streams of The End, Nattsol and Empyrium are bands that you should check if you like forest-like atmospheres, nice use of acoustic elements, black metal riffing/vocals and cleans.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:57 pm 

Eli_the_Destroyer wrote:
All i can say is you obviously dont listen to any of the bands mentioned, so think twice next time before you try to start an argument.

Oh geez... :lol: Not as much starting an argument as I'm trying to point out to anyone about to take your recommendation that they're pretty off.

Granted, someone who enjoys WitTR will probably enjoy Altar of Plagues, and one who enjoys Agalloch will probably immediately buy all AoP albums and sell his Agalloch ones in a thrift store upon hearing AoP. Yet, they do not sound very alike. You might like them for the same reasons, but cannot autimatically assume everyone else will: you should mainly recommend similar sounding bands. Alcest, on the other hand, is completely off. When one looks for music similar to Agalloch and WitTR, you can't assume he's looking for something even wussier than Agalloch - while WitTR is not exactly intense for black metal, it's far more so than Agalloch, let alone Alcest. Intensity is very important for me personally, and I refuse to believe it simply doesn't count to others. You may enjoy all those equally, but as a person who's into AoP and none other from those (though as for Alda I can't yet say, as I mentioned before), I'm trying to say your recommendation is off.

AtDusk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:24 pm 

mckickflip wrote:
Would anyone be so kind as to recommend atmospheric black metal in the vein of Neige & Noirceur or Moon (Aus)? I've been listening to Neige & Noirceur over and over again but I have yet to find a band that is quite similar to him.

It's hard to describe, but I'll try: lots of very, very fast drum machine beats over slow/mid-paced black metal, often with multiple keyboards and a lot of reverb. Lots of long and drawn out songs. I hesitate to say "epic" because that implies a whole lot of things I'm not looking for but I guess it has a certain epic quality to it.

You must try Darkspace and Paysage D'Hiver (esp. their self-titled album), if you haven't yet.

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:30 pm 

Anybody heard of a band with lyrics about sex and mild BDSM and/or benign perversions, unlike Gnaw their Tongues, Belphegor, and the like...
more in the vein of Suffering Souls' Sadistic Goat Complex (...sweet pain is licking my skin...follow your instinct, my misanthropic bitch, I need your flesh...misanthropic whore, lick my fuckin' blood...) nothing toooo explicit, just a hint of debauchery and fornicationn... :lol:

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:33 pm 

Littlewolf wrote:
Anybody heard of a band with lyrics about sex and mild BDSM and/or benign perversions, unlike Gnaw their Tongues, Belphegor, and the like...
more in the vein of Suffering Souls' Sadistic Goat Complex (...sweet pain is licking my skin...follow your instinct, my misanthropic bitch, I need your flesh...misanthropic whore, lick my fuckin' blood...) nothing toooo explicit, just a hint of debauchery and fornicationn... :lol:

Perhaps you'd enjoy Tsatthoggua? http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Tsatthoggua/5063

The first Arkhon Infaustus "In Sperma Infernum" may also be of interest.

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:15 pm 

thanx Maltus, but it's not really what I had in mind...
I've got nothing against raw BM per se, but I'm looking for something more subtle and sophisticaded, even symphonic BM would be nice...

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:17 am 

Littlewolf wrote:

Octagon perhaps? Not sure if the lyrics and themes are too explicit though...
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Oct ... iscography
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGvEH6LG ... re=related

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:52 pm 

thnx Poop, but it's too raw, too explicit...
I'm aware of the fact that BM is not an epitome of sophistication and subtleness but still...there's got to be something...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:52 pm 

so many things to check out! Austere was cool, so was Vinterriket. Evilfeast started off synthy and fruity, but then awesome riffs kicked in. That one was definitely different. Lustre was strange, I'll have to give it more time.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:02 pm 

Can anyone recommend any albums that sound like Nokturnal Mortum's Voice of Steel? I'm looking for epic, atmospheric, and folk-ish. I see the name Drudkh being mentioned very often but besides the fact that they are also from Ukraine, i don't really know anything about them. Do they sound anything like NM? Thanks in advance!

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:57 pm 

I dunno. I'm kinda tired of these terrible recs for folkracblackcrap. Anyone out there have GOOD taste in black metal?

Anyone hear the recent EPs from Dodsengel?

MariusBR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:53 pm 

I only have Mirium Occultum by Dødsengel, but then again I have it on vinyl. Quite pleased with the contents to say the least.

Have you heard the newest album from Aptorian Demon? http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Aptorian_Demon/Libertus/328707

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:12 pm 

Quite pleased as in probable modern classic? :P

Yeah, it's pretty great.

Haven't heard that band, but it looks cool! It has Ghash, so it's not likely to go beneath a certain baseline level of quality.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:19 pm 

tehfoks wrote:
Can anyone recommend any albums that sound like Nokturnal Mortum's Voice of Steel? I'm looking for epic, atmospheric, and folk-ish. I see the name Drudkh being mentioned very often but besides the fact that they are also from Ukraine, i don't really know anything about them. Do they sound anything like NM? Thanks in advance!

If you don't mind a couple of aspects of them, you could try Kroda's latest album.

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:42 am 

hey wrote:
tehfoks wrote:

If you don't mind a couple of aspects of them, you could try Kroda's latest album.

Yep. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks man!

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:02 pm 

hey wrote:
tehfoks wrote:

Drudkh is mainly slow or mid-tempo black metal, mostly 3/4. It ranges from harsh and grim to blissful and magnificent, but it's rarely intense other than emotionally. It's not overtly folkish, but Roman Saenko's riffing implements much slavic sound. Recommended starting points are Forgotten Legends and Blood In Our Wells.

I'd also recommend Lutomysl. It's much better than Kroda in my opinion, though the vocals are sub-par. I've only heard a couple of albums, your guess as to a which album is the best to start with is as good as mine. Decadence was my introduction to the band.
John_Sunlight wrote:
I dunno. I'm kinda tired of these terrible recs for folkracblackcrap. Anyone out there have GOOD taste in black metal?

Anyone hear the recent EPs from Dodsengel?
It's Dødsengel you dick! :P

Come on, name some good bands. I'd like to hear some that you consider good, besides I need some more of those slavic BM bands to listen to.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:32 pm 

I think Lutomysl's newest is their best. Just listen to the riff at about 0:50. The vocals are great too, slavic languages have that 'hateful' sound in black metal.
(the song is not on youtube)
http://exeexecutor.wrzuta.pl/audio/0eZO ... y_of_being

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:00 am 

Good bands include: Dødsengel, Malus, Bekhira, Leraje, Prosatanicum, Jarost Marksa, Sapthuran, Instinct and so on in that logical fashion.* These are all great BM that don't follow any recent BM trend and thus aren't talked about a great deal. I'm not necessarily saying I'm the only true blackmetaller in town, it just gets a bit dull when Drudkh and Agalloch are on every single page...

*Decided not to include Hills of Sefiroth as a joke entry since no one could tell the difference. :P

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:14 am 

vengefulgoat wrote:
By the way, does anyone know stuff in the vein of new Absurd?

Newer Totenburg, albums starting from Pestpogrom. Not too similiar but spirit is very similiar.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:58 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Good bands include: Dødsengel, Malus, Bekhira, Leraje, Prosatanicum, Jarost Marksa, Sapthuran, Instinct and so on in that logical fashion.* These are all great BM that don't follow any recent BM trend and thus aren't talked about a great deal. I'm not necessarily saying I'm the only true blackmetaller in town, it just gets a bit dull when Drudkh and Agalloch are on every single page...
Ярость Маркса, really? Fury of Marx, for fuck's sake.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:46 am 

John_Sunlight, have you heard the new(ish) release from Trou Noir? I feel like that'd definitely appeal to you- it's probably the most unique thing I've heard in a long time, but it doesn't seem like it's explicitly trying to be such. It's atmospheric and melodic, but doesn't rip off Burzum and isn't the folk/meloblack stuff you so despise. It's as if the album, Echoes in Black Holes, was recorded in a vacuum- not only does it accurately portray the monolithic void that is space very well, but its delightfully strange atmosphere and riffing styles have these little quirks that keep you coming back again and again and again.

(seriously, more black metal needs to start talking about space rather than Satan/vikings/forests, as awesome as that stuff is there's plenty music that explores that stuff in detail- concepts about the cosmos are quite uncommon, and haven't been explored much, I have no idea why, it's perfect for BM)

Also, pretty much everything you've ever namedropped for as long as I've been lurking on these forums is amazing. Just thought I'd let you know that.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:19 am 

RapeTheDead wrote:
(seriously, more black metal needs to start talking about space rather than Satan/vikings/forests, as awesome as that stuff is there's plenty music that explores that stuff in detail- concepts about the cosmos are quite uncommon, and haven't been explored much, I have no idea why, it's perfect for BM)

Would agree with what your saying bro, the space/sci-fi theme is quite fitting to alot of the atmosphere in black metal. If you dig deep there are more bands focusing on this than would think. Check out space black metal blog, that guy knows his stuff in this type of music and you prob will find some stuff you might enjoy, I find it quite helpful, most of these bands are unheard of but hopefully will be of interest to you.

http://spaceblackmetal.blogspot.com/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 231  Next