Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 2902
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:15 am 
 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Some really interesting recs,I take back what I said about ambient black metal. I knew paysage d'hiver,forgot to mention them. Mesmerizing stuff.


Check out Evilfeast, I find his ambient work some of the best, start with the "Lost Horizons.." album, his work is alot more grim than the norm but alot of the keyboard passages are beautiful. Also, try Walknut's " Grim Forest's.." album, it is labelled as atmospheric black metal but I find their overall sound very similar to Coldworld.
I would also highly reccommend Lustre, a lot of his work is slow and lenghty but the atmosphere he can create is stunning, works a treat.

Top
 Profile  
Macaroni_Maniac
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:41 am
Posts: 31
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:42 am 
 

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for more bands like Hellhammer. I already know Warhammer and Apokalyptic Raids, but I know there have to be many more of them.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6564
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:13 pm 
 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Some really interesting recs,I take back what I said about ambient black metal. I knew paysage d'hiver,forgot to mention them. Mesmerizing stuff.

Steer clear of Wrath of the Weak. They are often labeled as atmspheric bm or ambient bm, but in truth they are ambient BS. If you like black metal without any riffs, though... Keep that in mind while I'll try and think of something to recommend... ;P
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
iAm
Wastelander

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:18 am
Posts: 5630
Location: West of the Duwamish due South of the Sound
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:15 pm 
 

Macaroni_Maniac wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for more bands like Hellhammer. I already know Warhammer and Apokalyptic Raids, but I know there have to be many more of them.

If you don't already know of them Von are amazing. Also check out Xibalba- Not the Hardcore band, mind you.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
If the U.N. flew a bunch of C130's over Syria and rained down boxes of Thin Mints, they'd be standing in a giant circle hand-in-hand singing like goddamn Whoville residents within an hour.

I hate music

Top
 Profile  
Naxxar
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:35 pm
Posts: 1
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:38 pm 
 

Hey really there are 2 things i'm looking for, First i'd like to know of some bands that sound like Wolves in the Throne room, I already know of agalloch and i was hoping to find more. The other thing i'm looking for is is there any bands that sound like Mayhem with albums like Deathcrush I loved mayhem but after dead the lyricists mostly sucked :P

Top
 Profile  
wrathchild_88
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:16 pm
Posts: 342
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:24 pm 
 

For the first request, I suggest looking into Fen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LMcI962Vuo

Top
 Profile  
John_Sunlight
President Satan

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 4761
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:06 am 
 

Naxxar wrote:
Hey really there are 2 things i'm looking for, First i'd like to know of some bands that sound like Wolves in the Throne room, I already know of agalloch and i was hoping to find more. The other thing i'm looking for is is there any bands that sound like Mayhem with albums like Deathcrush I loved mayhem but after dead the lyricists mostly sucked :P

Based on the variety of bands to which I have seen Agalloch described as being similar to I can safely say that all bands sound like Agalloch, thus all bands sound like WITTR, thus you can pick any black metal band out of a hat.

You mean vocalists? Dead wrote lyrics on DMDS, so you can look there for more dead lyrics. Dead didn't do the vocals on "Deathcrush", though, that's Maniac who also sang on "Chimera".
_________________
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6564
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:30 am 
 

Naxxar wrote:
Hey really there are 2 things i'm looking for, First i'd like to know of some bands that sound like Wolves in the Throne room, I already know of agalloch and i was hoping to find more. The other thing i'm looking for is is there any bands that sound like Mayhem with albums like Deathcrush I loved mayhem but after dead the lyricists mostly sucked :P

I tend to recommend Ash Borer to WitTR fans.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
jute
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:30 am
Posts: 148
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:54 pm 
 

Could anyone suggest some music like Samael's Ceremony ofOpposites? I guess defining characteristics might be mid tempo grooving, use of harmonics, (no more than) subtle industrial touches, and a certain strange atmosphere.
_________________
Jute Gyte - experimental black metal, electronics

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 5159
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:09 pm 
 

Try this one.
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:37 pm
Posts: 127
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:03 pm 
 

for agalloch and wittr type bands, also look into alcest, altar of plagues, and alda. these bands should please all fans of this style.

Top
 Profile  
John_Sunlight
President Satan

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 4761
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:24 pm 
 

jute wrote:
Could anyone suggest some music like Samael's Ceremony ofOpposites? I guess defining characteristics might be mid tempo grooving, use of harmonics, (no more than) subtle industrial touches, and a certain strange atmosphere.

Godkiller's LPs are very much like "Ceremony of Opposites" in the total mix of 'tude, sounds, cadence and general influences.
_________________
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Top
 Profile  
The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:29 pm
Posts: 1497
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:14 pm 
 

I am really enjoying Trimonium's blow the horns. I find it straddles that 'triumphant' sound without it negating to over-the-top displays of cheesiness one could associate with that word. Been getting back in to a BM mood these days and this definitely hit the mark this time.
_________________
Resident Speedmetal, and Metalpunk warrior
R.I.P Keith Deen, Vocalist for the almighty Holy Terror.

Top
 Profile  
STORMM
Veteran

Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 2902
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:51 am 
 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
I am really enjoying Trimonium's blow the horns. I find it straddles that 'triumphant' sound without it negating to over-the-top displays of cheesiness one could associate with that word. Been getting back in to a BM mood these days and this definitely hit the mark this time.


Funny you should mention this apex, I have just picked up a copy of this cd for 1.99! Looking forward to hearing it now.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6564
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:23 am 
 

Eli_the_Destroyer wrote:
for agalloch and wittr type bands, also look into alcest, altar of plagues, and alda. these bands should please all fans of this style.

Alcest and Altar of Plagues? Come on, what do those two even have in common? Neither sounds at all like Agalloch or WitTR (though Agalloch is also metal for pussies like Alcest, but even so not nearly to the same extent). I've never heard Alda - why do I have a feeling that neither that has anything to do with those bands...
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
STORMM
Veteran

Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 2902
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:44 am 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I've never heard Alda - why do I have a feeling that neither that has anything to do with those bands...


Hey Ilwhyan, if you have not checked out Alda, do so man, their latest album is actually a good slab of cascadian black metal, some great acoustic work on it mate, I got the cassette version (only format at present) from the band and found it quite enjoyable. The album will be due out on cd soon from Pest productions, I think you will enjoy it.
As for the Agalloch reccommendations I will add Gallowbraid to the list (will we ever see a debut full length??).

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6564
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:57 am 
 

STORMM wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
I've never heard Alda - why do I have a feeling that neither that has anything to do with those bands...


Hey Ilwhyan, if you have not checked out Alda, do so man, their latest album is actually a good slab of cascadian black metal, some great acoustic work on it mate, I got the cassette version (only format at present) from the band and found it quite enjoyable. The album will be due out on cd soon from Pest productions, I think you will enjoy it.
As for the Agalloch reccommendations I will add Gallowbraid to the list (will we ever see a debut full length??).

I might, though I'm not that keen on Cascadian bands. Their style is fine, but not all are master songwriters, or musicians.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:37 pm
Posts: 127
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:40 pm 
 

STORMM wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
I've never heard Alda - why do I have a feeling that neither that has anything to do with those bands...


Hey Ilwhyan, if you have not checked out Alda, do so man, their latest album is actually a good slab of cascadian black metal, some great acoustic work on it mate, I got the cassette version (only format at present) from the band and found it quite enjoyable. The album will be due out on cd soon from Pest productions, I think you will enjoy it.
As for the Agalloch reccommendations I will add Gallowbraid to the list (will we ever see a debut full length??).


All i can say is you obviously dont listen to any of the bands mentioned, so think twice next time before you try to start an argument.

Top
 Profile  
Kveldulfr
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 pm
Posts: 2457
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:48 pm 
 

Naxxar wrote:
Hey really there are 2 things i'm looking for, First i'd like to know of some bands that sound like Wolves in the Throne room, I already know of agalloch and i was hoping to find more. The other thing i'm looking for is is there any bands that sound like Mayhem with albums like Deathcrush I loved mayhem but after dead the lyricists mostly sucked :P


Not like WIITR specifically, but Drudkh's Handful of Stars very kinda shoegazy/post rock, also the other Neige-related projects Amesoeurs and Lantlos should please you. Check Les Discrets too, it's very soft metal with certain degree of black metal riffing here and there.

I'm getting little out of the request, but Ulver's Bergtatt, October Falls's Streams of The End, Nattsol and Empyrium are bands that you should check if you like forest-like atmospheres, nice use of acoustic elements, black metal riffing/vocals and cleans.
_________________
Forestfather in Facebook- Some sort of black metal.
Get Forestfather's new album 'Hereafter' here!
Kveldulf's various stuff in Soundcloud

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6564
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:57 pm 
 

Eli_the_Destroyer wrote:
All i can say is you obviously dont listen to any of the bands mentioned, so think twice next time before you try to start an argument.

Oh geez... :lol: Not as much starting an argument as I'm trying to point out to anyone about to take your recommendation that they're pretty off.

Granted, someone who enjoys WitTR will probably enjoy Altar of Plagues, and one who enjoys Agalloch will probably immediately buy all AoP albums and sell his Agalloch ones in a thrift store upon hearing AoP. Yet, they do not sound very alike. You might like them for the same reasons, but cannot autimatically assume everyone else will: you should mainly recommend similar sounding bands. Alcest, on the other hand, is completely off. When one looks for music similar to Agalloch and WitTR, you can't assume he's looking for something even wussier than Agalloch - while WitTR is not exactly intense for black metal, it's far more so than Agalloch, let alone Alcest. Intensity is very important for me personally, and I refuse to believe it simply doesn't count to others. You may enjoy all those equally, but as a person who's into AoP and none other from those (though as for Alda I can't yet say, as I mentioned before), I'm trying to say your recommendation is off.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
AtDusk
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:27 pm
Posts: 97
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:24 pm 
 

mckickflip wrote:
Would anyone be so kind as to recommend atmospheric black metal in the vein of Neige & Noirceur or Moon (Aus)? I've been listening to Neige & Noirceur over and over again but I have yet to find a band that is quite similar to him.

It's hard to describe, but I'll try: lots of very, very fast drum machine beats over slow/mid-paced black metal, often with multiple keyboards and a lot of reverb. Lots of long and drawn out songs. I hesitate to say "epic" because that implies a whole lot of things I'm not looking for but I guess it has a certain epic quality to it.


You must try Darkspace and Paysage D'Hiver (esp. their self-titled album), if you haven't yet.
_________________
At Dusk

Top
 Profile  
Littlewolf
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 4:18 am
Posts: 151
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:30 pm 
 

Anybody heard of a band with lyrics about sex and mild BDSM and/or benign perversions, unlike Gnaw their Tongues, Belphegor, and the like...
more in the vein of Suffering Souls' Sadistic Goat Complex (...sweet pain is licking my skin...follow your instinct, my misanthropic bitch, I need your flesh...misanthropic whore, lick my fuckin' blood...) nothing toooo explicit, just a hint of debauchery and fornicationn... :lol:
_________________
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Top
 Profile  
Malthus
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:32 pm
Posts: 740
Location: Switzerland
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:33 pm 
 

Littlewolf wrote:
Anybody heard of a band with lyrics about sex and mild BDSM and/or benign perversions, unlike Gnaw their Tongues, Belphegor, and the like...
more in the vein of Suffering Souls' Sadistic Goat Complex (...sweet pain is licking my skin...follow your instinct, my misanthropic bitch, I need your flesh...misanthropic whore, lick my fuckin' blood...) nothing toooo explicit, just a hint of debauchery and fornicationn... :lol:


Perhaps you'd enjoy Tsatthoggua? http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Tsatthoggua/5063

Image


The first Arkhon Infaustus "In Sperma Infernum" may also be of interest.

Image

Top
 Profile  
Littlewolf
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 4:18 am
Posts: 151
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:15 pm 
 

thanx Maltus, but it's not really what I had in mind...
I've got nothing against raw BM per se, but I'm looking for something more subtle and sophisticaded, even symphonic BM would be nice...
_________________
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Top
 Profile  
ThePoop
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:38 pm
Posts: 493
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:17 am 
 

Littlewolf wrote:
Anybody heard of a band with lyrics about sex and mild BDSM and/or benign perversions, unlike Gnaw their Tongues, Belphegor, and the like...
more in the vein of Suffering Souls' Sadistic Goat Complex (...sweet pain is licking my skin...follow your instinct, my misanthropic bitch, I need your flesh...misanthropic whore, lick my fuckin' blood...) nothing toooo explicit, just a hint of debauchery and fornicationn... :lol:


Octagon perhaps? Not sure if the lyrics and themes are too explicit though...
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Oct ... iscography
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGvEH6LG ... re=related
_________________
My favorite Carcass album is Swansong.

Top
 Profile  
Littlewolf
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 4:18 am
Posts: 151
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:52 pm 
 

thnx Poop, but it's too raw, too explicit...
I'm aware of the fact that BM is not an epitome of sophistication and subtleness but still...there's got to be something...
_________________
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 5004
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:52 pm 
 

so many things to check out! Austere was cool, so was Vinterriket. Evilfeast started off synthy and fruity, but then awesome riffs kicked in. That one was definitely different. Lustre was strange, I'll have to give it more time.
_________________
lord_ghengis about Vomitory splitting up wrote:
They were a band who understood music needed more explosions.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
tehfoks
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:40 am
Posts: 259
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:02 pm 
 

Can anyone recommend any albums that sound like Nokturnal Mortum's Voice of Steel? I'm looking for epic, atmospheric, and folk-ish. I see the name Drudkh being mentioned very often but besides the fact that they are also from Ukraine, i don't really know anything about them. Do they sound anything like NM? Thanks in advance!
_________________
Painkiller1349 wrote:
You lose 20 kvlt points if you change your logo to something easier to read.

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

Top
 Profile  
John_Sunlight
President Satan

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 4761
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:57 pm 
 

I dunno. I'm kinda tired of these terrible recs for folkracblackcrap. Anyone out there have GOOD taste in black metal?

Anyone hear the recent EPs from Dodsengel?
_________________
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Top
 Profile  
MariusBR
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:47 pm
Posts: 99
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:53 pm 
 

I only have Mirium Occultum by Dødsengel, but then again I have it on vinyl. Quite pleased with the contents to say the least.

Have you heard the newest album from Aptorian Demon? http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Aptorian_Demon/Libertus/328707

Top
 Profile  
John_Sunlight
President Satan

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 4761
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:12 pm 
 

Quite pleased as in probable modern classic? :P

Yeah, it's pretty great.

Haven't heard that band, but it looks cool! It has Ghash, so it's not likely to go beneath a certain baseline level of quality.
_________________
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Top
 Profile  
hey
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:41 pm
Posts: 1390
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:19 pm 
 

tehfoks wrote:
Can anyone recommend any albums that sound like Nokturnal Mortum's Voice of Steel? I'm looking for epic, atmospheric, and folk-ish. I see the name Drudkh being mentioned very often but besides the fact that they are also from Ukraine, i don't really know anything about them. Do they sound anything like NM? Thanks in advance!

If you don't mind a couple of aspects of them, you could try Kroda's latest album.

Top
 Profile  
tehfoks
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:40 am
Posts: 259
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:42 am 
 

hey wrote:
tehfoks wrote:
Can anyone recommend any albums that sound like Nokturnal Mortum's Voice of Steel? I'm looking for epic, atmospheric, and folk-ish. I see the name Drudkh being mentioned very often but besides the fact that they are also from Ukraine, i don't really know anything about them. Do they sound anything like NM? Thanks in advance!

If you don't mind a couple of aspects of them, you could try Kroda's latest album.


Yep. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks man!
_________________
Painkiller1349 wrote:
You lose 20 kvlt points if you change your logo to something easier to read.

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6564
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:02 pm 
 

hey wrote:
tehfoks wrote:
Can anyone recommend any albums that sound like Nokturnal Mortum's Voice of Steel? I'm looking for epic, atmospheric, and folk-ish. I see the name Drudkh being mentioned very often but besides the fact that they are also from Ukraine, i don't really know anything about them. Do they sound anything like NM? Thanks in advance!

If you don't mind a couple of aspects of them, you could try Kroda's latest album.

Drudkh is mainly slow or mid-tempo black metal, mostly 3/4. It ranges from harsh and grim to blissful and magnificent, but it's rarely intense other than emotionally. It's not overtly folkish, but Roman Saenko's riffing implements much slavic sound. Recommended starting points are Forgotten Legends and Blood In Our Wells.

I'd also recommend Lutomysl. It's much better than Kroda in my opinion, though the vocals are sub-par. I've only heard a couple of albums, your guess as to a which album is the best to start with is as good as mine. Decadence was my introduction to the band.
John_Sunlight wrote:
I dunno. I'm kinda tired of these terrible recs for folkracblackcrap. Anyone out there have GOOD taste in black metal?

Anyone hear the recent EPs from Dodsengel?
It's Dødsengel you dick! :P

Come on, name some good bands. I'd like to hear some that you consider good, besides I need some more of those slavic BM bands to listen to.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
vengefulgoat
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:15 am
Posts: 977
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:32 pm 
 

I think Lutomysl's newest is their best. Just listen to the riff at about 0:50. The vocals are great too, slavic languages have that 'hateful' sound in black metal.
(the song is not on youtube)
http://exeexecutor.wrzuta.pl/audio/0eZO ... y_of_being

Top
 Profile  
John_Sunlight
President Satan

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 4761
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:00 am 
 

Good bands include: Dødsengel, Malus, Bekhira, Leraje, Prosatanicum, Jarost Marksa, Sapthuran, Instinct and so on in that logical fashion.* These are all great BM that don't follow any recent BM trend and thus aren't talked about a great deal. I'm not necessarily saying I'm the only true blackmetaller in town, it just gets a bit dull when Drudkh and Agalloch are on every single page...

*Decided not to include Hills of Sefiroth as a joke entry since no one could tell the difference. :P
_________________
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Top
 Profile  
ancientorder
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:38 am
Posts: 260
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:14 am 
 

vengefulgoat wrote:
By the way, does anyone know stuff in the vein of new Absurd?

Newer Totenburg, albums starting from Pestpogrom. Not too similiar but spirit is very similiar.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6564
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:58 am 
 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Good bands include: Dødsengel, Malus, Bekhira, Leraje, Prosatanicum, Jarost Marksa, Sapthuran, Instinct and so on in that logical fashion.* These are all great BM that don't follow any recent BM trend and thus aren't talked about a great deal. I'm not necessarily saying I'm the only true blackmetaller in town, it just gets a bit dull when Drudkh and Agalloch are on every single page...
Ярость Маркса, really? Fury of Marx, for fuck's sake.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
RapeTheDead
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:48 pm
Posts: 472
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:46 am 
 

John_Sunlight, have you heard the new(ish) release from Trou Noir? I feel like that'd definitely appeal to you- it's probably the most unique thing I've heard in a long time, but it doesn't seem like it's explicitly trying to be such. It's atmospheric and melodic, but doesn't rip off Burzum and isn't the folk/meloblack stuff you so despise. It's as if the album, Echoes in Black Holes, was recorded in a vacuum- not only does it accurately portray the monolithic void that is space very well, but its delightfully strange atmosphere and riffing styles have these little quirks that keep you coming back again and again and again.

(seriously, more black metal needs to start talking about space rather than Satan/vikings/forests, as awesome as that stuff is there's plenty music that explores that stuff in detail- concepts about the cosmos are quite uncommon, and haven't been explored much, I have no idea why, it's perfect for BM)

Also, pretty much everything you've ever namedropped for as long as I've been lurking on these forums is amazing. Just thought I'd let you know that.
_________________
UnderTheGuillotine wrote:
Smoke weed.

Top
 Profile  
STORMM
Veteran

Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 2902
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:19 am 
 

RapeTheDead wrote:
(seriously, more black metal needs to start talking about space rather than Satan/vikings/forests, as awesome as that stuff is there's plenty music that explores that stuff in detail- concepts about the cosmos are quite uncommon, and haven't been explored much, I have no idea why, it's perfect for BM)


Would agree with what your saying bro, the space/sci-fi theme is quite fitting to alot of the atmosphere in black metal. If you dig deep there are more bands focusing on this than would think. Check out space black metal blog, that guy knows his stuff in this type of music and you prob will find some stuff you might enjoy, I find it quite helpful, most of these bands are unheard of but hopefully will be of interest to you.

http://spaceblackmetal.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 137  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group