Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:14 pm 

I wasn't sure whether to put this in metal or general discussion as I don't know what genre it's going to be; this was my educated guess.

So yes, Dylan Carson of EARTH is planning on recording a solo album based on Scottish and English folklore and ballads, magic and mythology. It's not going to be through a label so he's doing it through Kickstarter and looking for pledges in order to support the process. As far as I know you don't get charged if the pledge goal is not met. Details and album blurb here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/160 ... lbion-lp-c

So what do you guys think of this? Any guesses as to what it will actually sound like?

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:33 pm 

Hadn't heard of this at all so thanks for sharing! The concept sounds interesting enough; I'd wager it might turn out to be something chilled and atmospheric along the lines of Hex in a more overtly folky sauce. I'll probably be proven dead wrong, though :P
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:47 am 

This sounds like a relatively strange project. It could go either way.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:07 am 

Yeah, definitely. I mean, it's Carson and I have a lot of faith in him (see: entire career with Earth for why). However there's a chance that something like this could end up going really twee and lame. I've heard otherwise great artists trying to do Scottish folk in particular and ending up sounding utterly lame. Still, here's hoping he pulls it off!

He's taking it seriously though. After you pledge you can see a few update posts that are hidden to non-pledges. He's gotten both of his hands tattooed with magical symbols in preparation, and has designed a large chest tattoo that he says he will be getting soon. That's dedication.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:17 pm 

Love Dylan Carlson's work with Earth, and I'm interested in hearing this. Earth have gotten more and more melodic with each album, and I feel like this isn't too off the wall considering the atmosphere of the last few albums. Either way, I'm stoked about how stoked he is about it, and I'll certainly be picking it up when it comes out. Probably pledge something too what I get a bit of disposable cash.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:31 pm 

As of now there's only 52 hours to go in the drive, with about 2/3 of the required funds outstanding - so if anybody was thinking of pledging at some point, the time is now!

EDIT: the target has been reached! Hoorah!

Reply to topic