Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LiveForDoom
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:00 pm
Posts: 123
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:30 pm 
 

Well your boy ran around like a pussy after he promised a dog fight. Diaz bitch slapped him for it =). He landed strikes but nothing significant AT ALL. He had one good goddamn flurry the entire fight, the punch-punch-headkick combo and THAT didn't even stop Diaz's pace. The flurry was the ONLY highlight they showed after the fight? Diaz landed the cleaner, harder shots and controlled the cage the entire fight. Fight won.

It is what it is and I'm about to give it to you =)

Condit was NOT happy and look at the faces on his coaches. They were not happy either. You can not be proud of a pussy performance like that. Condit and team were shocked as FUCK when they announced him as the winner. It is clear that the judges do not like Diaz because they find him to be disrespectful, which is why Diaz is not taking the rematch. He can't get fair judging in Vegas. Simple as that folks.

Top
 Profile  
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm
Posts: 2132
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:53 pm 
 

Condit landed 68 leg kicks in that match, a new record for single bouts. How many did Diaz have to answer with, six? And don't tell me Carlos's kicks were "ittie bittie leg kicks" because Diaz had one pretty hematoma on his thigh by the end, and he couldn't do shit about it. In fact, I wouldn't give a single round to him, well maybe the 5th and that's despite the fact that he even failed to catch the armbar at the end.

Oh by the way: Nick Diaz fails UFC 143 drug test; Nevada commission recommends disciplinary action

I'm guessing it would've been a NC if he'd won anyway, and it also slims down the chance of a rematch.

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:58 pm 
 

LiveForDoom wrote:
It is clear that the judges do not like Diaz because they find him to be disrespectful, which is why Diaz is not taking the rematch. He can't get fair judging in Vegas. Simple as that folks.


Yeah, OK dude.

godsonsafari wrote:
Diaz record stuff


All I know is this:

-11-1-1 outside the UFC

-A combined 7-5 inside the UFC, where the competition is the consensus best. This does not include IFCO Steinbeiss fight in 2006 (because it's not UFC)

That's a huge disparity. 85% win record (11 out of 13) out, 58% (7 out of 12) win record in. The numbers don't lie.

And I never spoke of Condit regarding records, because I don't disagree with you. I'm looking at Diaz singularly.

At any rate, I'm done arguing about this. He's proven to be his own worst enemy anyways.

EDIT: kingnuuuur beat me to it.
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Posts: 778
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:45 pm 
 

LiveForDoom wrote:
Well your boy ran around like a pussy after he promised a dog fight.
Oh good god....

LiveForDoom wrote:
He had one good goddamn flurry the entire fight, the punch-punch-headkick combo and THAT didn't even stop Diaz's pace.
Watch the fight again, there were multiple combos.

LiveForDoom wrote:
Diaz landed the cleaner, harder shots and controlled the cage the entire fight. Fight won.
This is flatout bullshit. WALKING SOMEONE DOWN =/= cage control. Controlling your position in the fight to fit YOUR gameplan constitutes cage control. Had Diaz cut Condit off successfully and then implemented his gameplan of pitter patter bs punches culminating in 2 or 3 hooks/straights....then sure, you'd be right. But he didn't, so you're not.



LiveForDoom wrote:
Condit was NOT happy and look at the faces on his coaches. They were not happy either. You can not be proud of a pussy performance like that. Condit and team were shocked as FUCK when they announced him as the winner. It is clear that the judges do not like Diaz because they find him to be disrespectful, which is why Diaz is not taking the rematch. He can't get fair judging in Vegas. Simple as that folks.
You may want to TELL his coaches that, because they differ. In fact, Greg Jackson said in several interviews post-fight that the fight was fought precisely the way they wanted to. If you're mad that Condit isn't stupid enough to be a punching bag that can't move and just stand there in front of Diaz, you may as well say that Diaz is a pussy for putting his hands up to block anything. I mean, really...after all, this is just about letting the other guy punch you and then you punch him until one you falls down, right?

Lol, no offense, but you need some perspective, it seems. Out of curiosity, how long have you been watching mma?

Top
 Profile  
SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Posts: 778
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:49 pm 
 

godsonsafari wrote:
In boxing, you'd call that being "a runner". There are successful runners in boxing - I think of Cory Spinks right away. But people hated Cory Spinks and the networks stopped showing his fights, even after his legs went away and he actually had somewhat entertaining fights. Condit didn't do anything that I'd consider proper counter punching or stick and move action. Strike and run, strike and run, stayed away from anything that would be connoted as a exchange, did nothing to seriously hurt Diaz and end the fight.



Good thing this isn't boxing, then. So far as "proper counter punching" or "stick and move action".....compared to boxing, almost NO ONE in mma does that. Why?Because it's not practical. Condit did fine, considering the sport.

Top
 Profile  
godsonsafari
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 am
Posts: 689
Location: Sparty's Land Grant University, USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:51 pm 
 

Quote:
-11-1-1 outside the UFC

-A combined 7-5 inside the UFC, where the competition is the consensus best. This does not include IFCO Steinbeiss fight in 2006 (because it's not UFC)


Oh god, seriously? Yeah, he's 7-5 in a career that spans how many years against how many ranked opponents? Numbers in individual sports do lie when context is removed. Otherwise, you can argue that Jorge Rivera is a equally talented fighter P4P than Nick Diaz based on his record in the UFC.
_________________
"It's not some safe thing like Fugazi where everyone sits down and eats their tofu and goes 'wow man, that's revolutionary' " - Jerry A of Poison Idea

Top
 Profile  
godsonsafari
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 am
Posts: 689
Location: Sparty's Land Grant University, USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:52 pm 
 

Quote:
Good thing this isn't boxing, then. So far as "proper counter punching" or "stick and move action".....compared to boxing, almost NO ONE in mma does that. Why?Because it's not practical.


It's "impractical" because its difficult to master. The same reason was once applied to things like side kicks, non-squared stances, and the jab in MMA.
_________________
"It's not some safe thing like Fugazi where everyone sits down and eats their tofu and goes 'wow man, that's revolutionary' " - Jerry A of Poison Idea

Top
 Profile  
SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Posts: 778
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:02 pm 
 

godsonsafari wrote:
Quote:
Good thing this isn't boxing, then. So far as "proper counter punching" or "stick and move action".....compared to boxing, almost NO ONE in mma does that. Why?Because it's not practical.


It's "impractical" because its difficult to master. The same reason was once applied to things like side kicks, non-squared stances, and the jab in MMA.


MMA boxing is never going to equal traditional boxing: it's highly unlikely to devote that much time to training in *just* boxing, especially when pure boxers tend to get assraped in mma. Maybe one day we'll see someone with what you're considering "proper" here, but I doubt it.

Top
 Profile  
godsonsafari
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 am
Posts: 689
Location: Sparty's Land Grant University, USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:30 pm 
 

I'm not saying that running isn't an effective tactic, but it isn't classic "stick and move" defensive counter punching. The closest you'll see to it is Anderson Silva using head movement to confound a one dimensional Forrest Griffin en route to a KO. Rashad is pretty good at it too, TBH. It works if you know how to use it, but like a lot of techniques, most fighters are bad at utilizing these weapons correctly, and so the argument is that it "doesn't work". Remember when karate stances and things like sidekicks were sure fire absolutely positively not gonna work in MMA ever?
_________________
"It's not some safe thing like Fugazi where everyone sits down and eats their tofu and goes 'wow man, that's revolutionary' " - Jerry A of Poison Idea

Top
 Profile  
SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Posts: 778
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:26 pm 
 

godsonsafari wrote:
I'm not saying that running isn't an effective tactic, but it isn't classic "stick and move" defensive counter punching. The closest you'll see to it is Anderson Silva using head movement to confound a one dimensional Forrest Griffin en route to a KO. Rashad is pretty good at it too, TBH. It works if you know how to use it, but like a lot of techniques, most fighters are bad at utilizing these weapons correctly, and so the argument is that it "doesn't work". Remember when karate stances and things like sidekicks were sure fire absolutely positively not gonna work in MMA ever?


Sure (assuming you didn't know who the Machida's were at the time), there was a long time where the only things that mattered were bjj, wrestling, and muay thai. In my opinion, Frankie Edgar utilizes better stick and move practices than Anderson Silva, both of whom have great boxing for mma. But my point was, when you say "running" you are thinking/communicating in boxing terms. Now, you wouldn't call what karate practitioners do (moving in and out and scoring points) "running"....and in the context of mma, I personally don't think it applies. That's all.

Top
 Profile  
SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:26 am
Posts: 157
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:41 am 
 

Damn, it's like Sherdog up in this place right now. Except not as bad.

Top
 Profile  
SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:26 am
Posts: 157
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:44 am 
 

FirebathDan wrote:

All I know is this:

-11-1-1 outside the UFC

-A combined 7-5 inside the UFC, where the competition is the consensus best. This does not include IFCO Steinbeiss fight in 2006 (because it's not UFC)

That's a huge disparity. 85% win record (11 out of 13) out, 58% (7 out of 12) win record in. The numbers don't lie.


Shogun is 4-4 in the UFC man. Just sayin.

Top
 Profile  
godsonsafari
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 am
Posts: 689
Location: Sparty's Land Grant University, USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:13 am 
 

But, but...Shogun was exposed as a steroid enhanced wannabe from PRIDE! Just like Rampage, who also came from the peak of his career, and Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera. And Gomi too. Because Gomi was the same elite guy when he got to the UFC as when he was a champ in PRIDE. /sarcasm

OK seriously, it totally has devolved into that, hasn't it?
_________________
"It's not some safe thing like Fugazi where everyone sits down and eats their tofu and goes 'wow man, that's revolutionary' " - Jerry A of Poison Idea

Top
 Profile  
SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:26 am
Posts: 157
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:11 pm 
 

Well, you actually brought up a very good point earlier about criticizing fighter's records. Really that argument can be applied to pretty much any fighter's record (except for maybe Jon Jones). Wanderlei, Noguiera, Cro Cop, Fedor, Overeem, all their careers are filled with sub-par competition.

"Fedor was never any good. Overrated can-crusher."

"Overeem could never make it the UFC! All his fights are against scrubs."

Top
 Profile  
SangreV
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 pm
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:28 pm 
 

It's one thing to poke holes in a fighter's record (you can do this with anyone) but when people are collectively criticizing an entire organization it's just silly. I mean, do these people actually forget that Pride actually had an overall better roster than UFC during the whole rivalry?

How's Tim Sylvia, Andrei Arlovski, Pedro Rizzo, Ricco Rodriquez, and Frank Mir doing these days?

How did stalwarts like Ken Shamrock, Tito Ortiz, Kevin Randleman, BJ Penn, Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, and Matt Hughes fare in their last UFC title runs?

Seriously...it's amounts to the same thing.

Top
 Profile  
godsonsafari
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 am
Posts: 689
Location: Sparty's Land Grant University, USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:32 pm 
 

If you want to tear anyone down, you can. It might look stupid, but it can be done. Like you said, the number of guys who have fought challenging opposition every time out is limited - maybe Dan Henderson? Maybe Randy Couture? Machida? Jon Jones? If you want to, you can dismantle Anderson Silva's ledger of wins and losses easily. There's some great fighters on that list - and then you realize Chael Sonnen is the third best man he ever beat, and he was nothing and no one until he discovered TRT.

Quote:
It's one thing to poke holes in a fighter's record (you can do this with anyone) but when people are collectively criticizing an entire organization it's just silly. I mean, do these people actually forget that Pride actually had an overall better roster than UFC during the whole rivalry?


This. 205 was always somewhere they were roughly equal, but PRIDE either had the division when the UFC didn't or generally had better fighters fighting there than the UFC did. Anyone see Dave Menne recently?
_________________
"It's not some safe thing like Fugazi where everyone sits down and eats their tofu and goes 'wow man, that's revolutionary' " - Jerry A of Poison Idea

Top
 Profile  
SangreV
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 pm
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:40 pm 
 

Also, I posted this on a different forum but I'll re-post it here. It's my brief thoughts on the Condit/Diaz fight and why Condit indeed won. I have been watching MMA for over a decade, and I'm not sure that everyone who watches MMA today fully understands how the sport works. Even though more people seem to feel Condit won, tons of people have told me that Diaz won simply because he was pushing forward the whole fight while Condit was running. Over the course of the fight it was evident that Condit met the criteria of the judges more so than Diaz did, and certainly on a round by round breakdown. I had Condit winning 48-47, three of the five rounds.

Quote:
I admit that it wasn't the fight I had hoped for, but it's a sport first, entertainment second. And besides, you forgot about the part where, despite "running away", he was still able to win the fight.

Fights are scored on effective striking & grappling, aggression, and octagon control.

I hate the notion that Diaz was won simply because he was pushing forward. This alone does not equate to "aggression" as you have to actually be throwing punches and landing too. Diaz was moving forward yet he was outstruck by Condit by a fair margin. It should be obvious that Condit was the clean, effective striker in a match that was primarily a striking battle. Though not a ton of damage was done in the fight, clearly the most effective blows were given by Condit with the couple of kicks and knees to the head, as well as the many kicks to the leg. It's ironic too that Diaz would be so critical of Condit's kicks as Diaz is well known for throwing tons of jabs, and "baby" or "pitter-patter" punches during fights.

Even if Diaz made better use of grappling, it hardly factored into the fight, and you have to give Condit some credit too. Diaz got a nice takedown in round five, but remember it wasn't the only time he attempted to take the fight to the ground as Condit did stuff a couple of previous attempts. Even with the takedown, Condit as able to stay out of trouble and nullify Diaz' submission attempts while being in a disadvantageous position.

Octagon control. This is something that Diaz is usually very good at, but not so much in this fight. Diaz typically outstrikes his opponents and aims to keep his opponent up against the fence while he unloads a barage of punches. Diaz is great at luring his opponent into his gameplan but in this fight, Condit was able to avoid the majority of Diaz' strikes by not allowing this to happen by moving, and picking his shots in the process. In essence, it was Condit that demonstrated more "octagon control" over the course of the fight as he was able to better implement his gameplan, dictate the pace of the fight, and take advantage of available opportunities.

Upon rewatch, I scored it differently but with the same end result. I have Condit winning rounds 1,3,4. Diaz, I gave him round 2 and even if Diaz wins round 5, it's still a win for Condit.

Even though I would rather see Diaz fight St-Pierre, the right man won.

Top
 Profile  
SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:26 am
Posts: 157
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:13 am 
 

SangreV wrote:

How's Tim Sylvia, Andrei Arlovski, Pedro Rizzo, Ricco Rodriquez, and Frank Mir doing these days?



I don't know man, I'd say Frank Mir is doing ok. Just ask Big Nog's arm :-D.

Top
 Profile  
SangreV
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 pm
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:37 am 
 

Yes, Mir is doing pretty good but he isn't the holy son that the UFC and many fans once touted him to be, after breaking Tim Sylvia's arm. Undoubtedly, he's talented but his glaring flaws will likely prevent him from being the heavyweight champion.

Anyways, my point is that most of these fighters who were once at the top or believed to be, inevitably fell, some further than others. It really didn't matter which organization these guys fought for, both organizations' fighters received similar fates and it's part of the nature of the sport when at the elite level, not something tied to a company's name. Some of them continue to lose, some of them are .500 at the elite level, some of them are still finding success more often than not.

Top
 Profile  
LiveForDoom
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:00 pm
Posts: 123
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:32 pm 
 

shutupanddie, you are just wrong friend. Keep defending your stance that the only way to beat Diaz is to not fight Diaz. They gave the game to condit, however the fight goes to Diaz. Condit got treated like a bitch because he fought like one. =) Diaz 1-2 and 5 for sure.

Top
 Profile  
SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Posts: 778
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:04 am 
 

LiveForDoom wrote:
shutupanddie, you are just wrong friend. Keep defending your stance that the only way to beat Diaz is to not fight Diaz. They gave the game to condit, however the fight goes to Diaz. Condit got treated like a bitch because he fought like one. =) Diaz 1-2 and 5 for sure.



Yeahhhhh, NO. He failed in rd. 5 to complete anything, AND he threw less connecting strikes. Even if you give him the razor thin nod in rd 1, he still fails. I'm going to laugh when he gets suspended for stupid reasons. With any luck, he'll retire and fuck off back to the 209. :) Diaz didn't control shit, he didn't assert himself any further than to act like an asshole and make all of his nuthuggers get wet over his "badass" bullshit for most of the fight. Honestly, he's fought WAY better fights, and Condit fighting a smart fight is no reason to shit on him, that makes absolutely zero sense.

Top
 Profile  
SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Posts: 778
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:08 am 
 

SymposiumOfSickness wrote:
Damn, it's like Sherdog up in this place right now. Except not as bad.



Lol...it is...I post there a lot as well. That place is all tore up with debates over that fight.

Top
 Profile  
SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Posts: 778
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:14 am 
 

SangreV wrote:
It's one thing to poke holes in a fighter's record (you can do this with anyone) but when people are collectively criticizing an entire organization it's just silly. I mean, do these people actually forget that Pride actually had an overall better roster than UFC during the whole rivalry?

How's Tim Sylvia, Andrei Arlovski, Pedro Rizzo, Ricco Rodriquez, and Frank Mir doing these days?

How did stalwarts like Ken Shamrock, Tito Ortiz, Kevin Randleman, BJ Penn, Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, and Matt Hughes fare in their last UFC title runs?

Seriously...it's amounts to the same thing.



Hmmm...actually, Mir's not doing so bad. Agreed with the rest of it, however: Pride sucked for reasons other than the fighters.

*edit* just read the Mir pointing out above....


Last edited by SHUTUPANDDIE on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Posts: 778
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:16 am 
 

SangreV wrote:
Also, I posted this on a different forum but I'll re-post it here. It's my brief thoughts on the Condit/Diaz fight and why Condit indeed won. I have been watching MMA for over a decade, and I'm not sure that everyone who watches MMA today fully understands how the sport works. Even though more people seem to feel Condit won, tons of people have told me that Diaz won simply because he was pushing forward the whole fight while Condit was running. Over the course of the fight it was evident that Condit met the criteria of the judges more so than Diaz did, and certainly on a round by round breakdown. I had Condit winning 48-47, three of the five rounds.

Quote:
I admit that it wasn't the fight I had hoped for, but it's a sport first, entertainment second. And besides, you forgot about the part where, despite "running away", he was still able to win the fight.

Fights are scored on effective striking & grappling, aggression, and octagon control.

I hate the notion that Diaz was won simply because he was pushing forward. This alone does not equate to "aggression" as you have to actually be throwing punches and landing too. Diaz was moving forward yet he was outstruck by Condit by a fair margin. It should be obvious that Condit was the clean, effective striker in a match that was primarily a striking battle. Though not a ton of damage was done in the fight, clearly the most effective blows were given by Condit with the couple of kicks and knees to the head, as well as the many kicks to the leg. It's ironic too that Diaz would be so critical of Condit's kicks as Diaz is well known for throwing tons of jabs, and "baby" or "pitter-patter" punches during fights.

Even if Diaz made better use of grappling, it hardly factored into the fight, and you have to give Condit some credit too. Diaz got a nice takedown in round five, but remember it wasn't the only time he attempted to take the fight to the ground as Condit did stuff a couple of previous attempts. Even with the takedown, Condit as able to stay out of trouble and nullify Diaz' submission attempts while being in a disadvantageous position.

Octagon control. This is something that Diaz is usually very good at, but not so much in this fight. Diaz typically outstrikes his opponents and aims to keep his opponent up against the fence while he unloads a barage of punches. Diaz is great at luring his opponent into his gameplan but in this fight, Condit was able to avoid the majority of Diaz' strikes by not allowing this to happen by moving, and picking his shots in the process. In essence, it was Condit that demonstrated more "octagon control" over the course of the fight as he was able to better implement his gameplan, dictate the pace of the fight, and take advantage of available opportunities.

Upon rewatch, I scored it differently but with the same end result. I have Condit winning rounds 1,3,4. Diaz, I gave him round 2 and even if Diaz wins round 5, it's still a win for Condit.

Even though I would rather see Diaz fight St-Pierre, the right man won.

Hey - you posted this on Sherdog, no?

Top
 Profile  
SangreV
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 pm
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:02 pm 
 

^ No, I'm not a member of that site.

Unless someone copied what I wrote?

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:11 pm 
 

Just caught the UFC on Fuel 1 prelims on Facebook; very decent night of fights. Tim Means looked great in his debut, and an impressive KO by Brookins.

Here are my (very) quick picks for the main card:

Menjivar, Dillashaw, Miocic, Markes, Struve, and Sanchez.

I don't have cable so I won't be able to watch the card tonight. So instead, I'll be playing this:
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:26 am
Posts: 157
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:29 am 
 

How is UFC 3 man? I played Pride mode in Best Buy and had a lot of fun getting head stomp and leg tkos as Cro Cop, but I'm not sure if it's worth a buy.

I know this type of question belongs in the Video game thread but whatever.

Also, that Menjivar fight was sick.

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:48 pm 
 

SymposiumOfSickness wrote:
How is UFC 3 man? I played Pride mode in Best Buy and had a lot of fun getting head stomp and leg tkos as Cro Cop, but I'm not sure if it's worth a buy.


I'm having a blast with UFC 3, but let me state that I am hardly a gamer-more of a classic button masher. I haven't pulled off one sub yet, however, the sub mechanism is vast improvement over UFC 2010-I actually might be able to pull off a sub one of these days.

I find the game to be mindless fun, but I only plan to play against the CPU in exhibition mode. I don't think I'll venture into career mode (either with a custom character or an established fighter), and I'll likely only go online with it once or twice. I am definitely getting a kick out of the Pride mode-the soccer kicks, stomps, and knees to the head on the ground are fun, and you can play any part of the roster in UFC or Pride mode.

Good game, but as to whether or not it's "worth a buy", I'd suggest either GameFly-ing it or grabbing the demo from the PS/Xbox network.

It's still not the best MMA game on the market-EA MMA is vastly superior to both UFC games. It's a shame that the EA roster is somewhat lackluster.
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:27 am 
 

Checking in with my UFC 144 picks:

Pettis/Lauzon: Pick 'em. I dig both of these guys (even if I think Pettis is a touch overhyped for landing that chance kick on Bendo) and think either one would be interesting in the LW title picture. Gun to my head, Pettis.
Hioki/Palaszewski: Wasn't too impressed with Hioki in his fight with Roop at UFC 137 (IIRC I had Roop winning). Don't know much about Bart past his KO win over Tyson Griffin on the same card. Give me Hioki based on record alone.
Okami/Boetsch: I expect Okami to grind out a decision.
Akiyama/Shields: I expect Sheilds to prevail, likely by grinding out a decision.
Kongo/Hunt: I'll take Kongo here.
Rampage/Bader: I expect Bader to grind out a decision.
Edgar/Henderson: Gotta rep NJ and go with Frankie Edgar to retain. Seriously, Bendo is an extraordinarily tough test for Frankie. He's got size, subs, and wrestling over the champ, so I would not be shocked in the least if Bendo pulls this off. Frankie needs to utilize his speed, boxing, and endless heart to win this fight. We've seen Frankie survive and come back from the brink of defeat numerous times, and this heart and endurance are important keys to his success.

I'm way on the fence about ordering this card, TBH. Money is tight, and this card promises to be long at 4 hours with the additional two fights over the traditional 5 fight main card. More bang for your buck, sure, but it's also gonna run to 2AM EST and three of the fights look to be decision grinders. Not sure if I can justify the purchase, despite always being interested when Edgar fights.
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:26 am
Posts: 157
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:43 am 
 

Great card (aside from a few fights), didn't buy it though. Streamed that mofo. Feel bad for Joe Lauzon, been a fan of him for awhile. Superb grappling display from Hioki and it's good to see Gomi finally get an another win too. It's clear his best days are behind him though. Good main event, I'm a fan of both guys so I'm glad Bendo won. The guy gets a lot of hate but he's clearly a top lightweight. Also, Rampage looked like shit and lol at Okami having his victory snatched away by getting KTFO. Crazy comeback.

Top
 Profile  
SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Posts: 778
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:05 pm 
 

I enjoyed this set of fights. Barbarian surprised the fuck out of me, those could not have felt good to throw at that angle. Bendo is officially the best fighter on one leg in the UFC, lol. Also, anyone else get a giggle or two out of his "Can I get an amen!!!" in a primarily Shinto/Buddhist nation? I'm not a fan of when fighters feel the need to leak their christianity all over the place, but that was funny as balls. Cheers to Bader, but that slam almost dislocated the fuck out of his arm....it made MY arm hurt to look at it. Akiyama dropped some nice judo, but I think he's through in the UFC for now. It SUCKED watching Lauzon get ko'd....I don't really like Pettis, his eyebrows disturb me.

Top
 Profile  
SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:26 am
Posts: 157
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:59 pm 
 

Seriously, Bendo's balance on one leg is uncanny. And what an odd thing to say about Pettis haha.

Top
 Profile  
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm
Posts: 2132
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:48 pm 
 

Man, Bendo's physical conditioning is unreal. After 25 mins of highly technical and intense striking and grappling he looked almost fresh and unscathed. Just wow. I predict he's going to remain champ for quite some time, say at least 4-5 title defenses.

Top
 Profile  
SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:26 am
Posts: 157
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:39 am 
 

Easier said than done though, especially in a division as deep as lightweight. Saturday just further proved how tough the WEC guys are too.

Top
 Profile  
SangreV
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 pm
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:33 am 
 

I doubt Henderson will go on a significant title defense/win streak, especially in this division. I gave Henderson the win 48-47 but I feel that he's still got quite a ways to go before he's able to think about having any sort of dominant reign. I'm highly skeptical this will happen, but granted, he's got a fair bit of potential.

There's still many tough fights left to be had at this weight division and I wouldn't mind seeing Gilbert Melendez join the UFC roster.

Top
 Profile  
SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Posts: 778
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:11 pm 
 

SymposiumOfSickness wrote:
Seriously, Bendo's balance on one leg is uncanny. And what an odd thing to say about Pettis haha.



They're just too pretty for a fighter, that's all I'm saying. Every time he fights I'm just hoping against hope that someone will land a nice head kick to the eyebrow line or bust them with an elbow in the clinch or in his guard. He needs to get all busted up and ugly, a la Wanderlei pre-cosmetic surgery. I'm from San Antonio, and I know it's classless to say, but he looks like a trillion little wanna be gangsters from this area.

Apart from that, I totally dig his skills, lol.

Top
 Profile  
SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Posts: 778
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:14 pm 
 

SangreV wrote:
I doubt Henderson will go on a significant title defense/win streak, especially in this division. I gave Henderson the win 48-47 but I feel that he's still got quite a ways to go before he's able to think about having any sort of dominant reign. I'm highly skeptical this will happen, but granted, he's got a fair bit of potential.

There's still many tough fights left to be had at this weight division and I wouldn't mind seeing Gilbert Melendez join the UFC roster.



It's just a matter of time until Gilbert is brought into the UFC, they already have the rest of that Gracie stable of retards in the UFC, why not one more. I like him as a fighter, but he's always been up and down...a lot of exciting fights and then a streak of semi-boring decisions. I prefer watching Nate Diaz fight over him, if I have to pick one of that group.

Top
 Profile  
SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Posts: 778
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:59 pm 
 

It's on, bitches!


http://bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/03/01/ph ... 16015.html

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 806
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:06 am 
 

RE: LW division: I agree about Bendo's reign being short-this division is just too deep. As fighters, I like Bendo, Pettis, Miller, Guida, Lauzon etc. but I also am a big fan of Edgar. So I'm torn on where this division goes next; I feel it's fair that Frankie gets his rematch (after all, he gave immediate rematches in both the close decision with BJ and draw with Gray instances), considering it was a very close fight (as I understand it-I still haven't seen it yet). At the same time, the division needs to be shook up, as Frankie fought the same two people over the course of his two year reign as champ-its' time for some new contenders. At any rate, LW has tons of potential for great fights over the next year or so.

SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:
It's just a matter of time until Gilbert is brought into the UFC, they already have the rest of that Gracie stable of retards in the UFC, why not one more.


L-O-fucking-L. Love it.

SHUTUPANDDIE wrote:


I'm very stoked for this. FLW looks to be yet another excellent division (after more fighters have been added to it). I'll take the fast pace, high energy fights of the LW and below divisions over 85% of HW and LHW fights any day. The fact that they got Uncle Creepy in there (the consensus #1 FLW) gives total legitimacy to this tourney. They just need to acquire Jussier Formiga (imminent, I feel) among others and we're all set.

Here are my quick picks for this weekend:

UFC on FX 2: McGee, McCall, Benavidez, Kampmann

Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey: Sayers, Souza, Daley, Noons, Tate
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Melodic Black Metal, Band, Drums
Cold Blank Stare
Black Metal, Solo Project, Everything

Top
 Profile  
SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Posts: 778
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:42 am 
 

Is Court McGee fighting on this card? I love that dude...great story, great personality, great fighter. I'm mostly looking forward to Kampman making Alves looks stupid though...Martin seems to make all of his opponents look like screeching noobs, somehow. At first I didn't think much of him, but the last few fights that Martin's been in have been great - and he got robbed hard against Diego The Vampire Slayer Sanchez.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CorpseFister, Exigence, Kiwion, MSNbot Media and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group