Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Astrum502
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:10 pm 

My band, Astrum is gonna do a 6 song MCD soon, and I just recently wrote this new song for it.
It's a demo, our vocalist(a female) will be doing it. This is me on voical here.

http://youtu.be/-YkAQbinO7Q

I like it.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:13 pm 

In a sheer act of brilliance I managed to take my Songwriting Challenge song and turned it into something great. I am going to use this for my death metal band I am going to do later in the future (bound to happen). Similar to Lykathea Aflame with Incantation. I just have to write more stuff in this style. My friend is down and he is good at guitar so if I can find another guitarist and have my other friend drum then there will finally be a good death metal band in Rochester again.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:03 pm 

Incantation Aflame?? sounds bizarre and berserk, I like it

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

CrustAsFuckExistence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:45 am 

Similar to Lykathea Aflame and Incantation? Holy shit, that sounds absolutely incredible. Still working on the songwriting portion of my piece for this...might not be able to finish on time, but I'll certainly give it my best shot. Looks like a lot of people here are really bringing their "A-game", based on most of the song descriptions I've read.

Atmospheric Black Metal (solo)

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:20 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
hell it's all your material, I don't see anything particularly wrong with it. I would say yea if you had already released those old songs that you are cutting riffs from.

but are you talking like literally cutting and pasting songs together from their files? I'd had to mess with that nightmare unless you were solely using it as a writing tool to later fix where it's smoothed out.

I have some incomplete stuff, almost all of it consists of abandoned projects. What I'm trying to do is to turn shit into gold... and I'm wondering if it'll work.

death234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:01 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
death234 wrote:
First off Im a guitarist and I usually wright Death Metal songs, but I appreciate a lot of different types of music, so sometimes Ill wright rap lyrics.

You should "wright" no lyrics at all.

Oh look another guy who would rather point out someones mistakes rather than ignor them. Im not really mad that you blatantly pointed out a mistake I made in an effort to embarrass me, but mad that you presume to say that I shouldn't right lyrics due to the fact that I'm not a good speller. Thats kind of unfair because I doubt you would tell the primary WRITER of your favorite band that he shouldn't write lyrics because he's a bad speller. Just thought you should know that the little booklet inside the cd case isn't typed up by the band It goes through this person called an EDITOR. You know what editors do? They edit things. Now I know this is a tuff concept but I'm sure with a bit of research you could understand it. Just remember making fun of people just to get pleasure out of embarrassing them is a pretty dick move that not many people appreciate.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:31 pm 

The level of spelling skill tends to be an indication of writing ability altogether, though dyslexia makes an exception (though it must be said that a seriously dyslexic person is rarely as enthusiastic about writing due to its difficulty to said person, therefore decreasing the probability of a dyslexic being a skillful writer).

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:55 pm 

Ilwhyan has a point which I tend to agree with, additionally I associate poor sentence structure and spelling with laziness as well. 10 secs to do a google search..(just typing in the word will get it autocorrected) does wonders.

Death, it might do best for you to either develop thicker skin, cause everywhere you go where you have to spell anything you will get made fun of, or spend a bit more time learning to spell or at least attempt to fix your mistakes and learn from them. Otherwise the above rant sounds more like a cryfit.

ArtificialStupidity, hell you never know. you might stumble across some excellence that route. I guess it all depends on the strength of your riffs. I know in bands before we have wrote full albums and then deconstructed them as we went on and cut what we didn't like playing and reforming the songs into better songs.

Last night i was thinking about finally revisting one of the first bands I did with someone... it basically sounded like a grindier Naked City styled band. we have been talking about redoing it for the longest time... I guess after a decade now maybe we should give it another shot.

death234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:25 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Ilwhyan has a point which I tend to agree with, additionally I associate poor sentence structure and spelling with laziness as well. 10 secs to do a google search..(just typing in the word will get it autocorrected) does wonders.

Death, it might do best for you to either develop thicker skin, cause everywhere you go where you have to spell anything you will get made fun of, or spend a bit more time learning to spell or at least attempt to fix your mistakes and learn from them. Otherwise the above rant sounds more like a cryfit.

ArtificialStupidity, hell you never know. you might stumble across some excellence that route. I guess it all depends on the strength of your riffs. I know in bands before we have wrote full albums and then deconstructed them as we went on and cut what we didn't like playing and reforming the songs into better songs.

Last night i was thinking about finally revisting one of the first bands I did with someone... it basically sounded like a grindier Naked City styled band. we have been talking about redoing it for the longest time... I guess after a decade now maybe we should give it another shot.

Ilwhyan, First off you should take a look at this.
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/22107

ShaolinLambKiller, The argument isn't about my spelling its about the comment about my lyrical writing ability. I know I'm a bad speller and I already do get criticized about it. That doesn't upset me, but there have been plenty of people who became great writers who had trouble with spelling, as shown on the site above. It just seems wrong to tell someone they have terrible writing ability when you don't even know them. When the only thing you have as evidence is a spelling error. Thats all the more I'm going to say about it.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:45 pm 

death234 wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Ilwhyan, First off you should take a look at this.
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/22107

ShaolinLambKiller, The argument isn't about my spelling its about the comment about my lyrical writing ability. I know I'm a bad speller and I already do get criticized about it. That doesn't upset me, but there have been plenty of people who became great writers who had trouble with spelling, as shown on the site above. It just seems wrong to tell someone they have terrible writing ability when you don't even know them. When the only thing you have as evidence is a spelling error. Thats all the more I'm going to say about it.

I think Ilwhyan was just trying to be humorous. Calm down.

Wrote another song. I feel stuck though. I'm just going to write some keyboard stuff in the meantime.

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:12 pm 

I've been re-teaching myself how to play "black metal riffs" so for shits and giggles I want to do a release as a concept "album" entirely about the video game Deus Ex. Perhaps maybe throw in a bit of electronic sound ala Ulver, since the game's soundtrack is total cyberpunk techno/electronic music.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:08 pm 

BlashyrkhMR101 wrote:
I've been re-teaching myself how to play "black metal riffs" so for shits and giggles I want to do a release as a concept "album" entirely about the video game Deus Ex. Perhaps maybe throw in a bit of electronic sound ala Ulver, since the game's soundtrack is total cyberpunk techno/electronic music.

No kidding, I had that idea years back, as well as other cyberpunk crap, Blade Runner specifically. Never went through with it. Have fun!

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:33 am 

Writing some bass lines. Dunno why, but bass is usually the most fun instrument to write shit for.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:34 pm 

So I've decided that I'd rather write more aggressive songs for my death metal band. I want to have a more melodic/progressive feel like Lykathea Aflame/Pestilence but I am not good enough to write like that (yet, I'm going to be teaching myself stuff on bass/guitar again I also want to incorporate keyboards but I need one first). So just going to play death/thrash with a lot of tremolo parts with some black metal overtones.

Also looking for a name, I like Skoptic Syndrome but that sounds like a grind band name. The search for a band name continues!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:52 pm 

that actually sounds more like a melodic nu-metal band name than a grind name.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:07 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
that actually sounds more like a melodic nu-metal band name than a grind name.

Well anything with Syndrome sounds like that. I can imagine it right now actually.

I like Deep Grave so I might use that. I am really bad at band names so I might not even name it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:52 pm 

Maybe wait till you have the music together a bit more. like a few roughed in songs.

Deep Grave really ain't that great either. Mainly cause of the overuse of grave in band names.

It's like why not just name it Black Graveblood of Goats. all the most overused words in metal bands.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:26 am 

Sorrowseed's playing at Machine in Boston on March 28th and at the Palladium in Worcester on April 6th. We're the only band playing in Boston (fitting considering that the promoters are letting us set our own set time and it's our first show back), but in Worcester we're playing on a bill with Pathogenic, and two REALLY bad bands; a nu metal band and a "deathstep (as they describe it, a fusion of death metal dubstep of all fucking things)" band.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:34 am 

StinkyPenis wrote:
I like Deep Grave so I might use that. I am really bad at band names so I might not even name it.

Deep Grave sounds like one of those vaguely gothic heavy rock/metal bands with incredibly downtuned guitars that only play 8th chugs in tempo 110, as the singer warbles around singing about love, death and roses in his quasi-basso-profondo with a southern accent and a slight slur.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:38 pm 

Subrick wrote:
"deathstep (as they describe it, a fusion of death metal dubstep of all fucking things)" band.

Haha. I’ve been waiting to see shit like that popping up. The way deathcore and dubstep have gone (especially brostep), it was only a matter of time.

In other news- fuck yes! My bands second album just came back from the factory. I am really damn proud of this thing and it feels great to finally hold a finished copy. Woo!

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:50 pm 

I think I might go with Fear of Napalm or World Obliteration (Terrorizer references.) I would use As Statues Fall after the Fear of God release but that sounds like a -core/melodic death metal band name. Most people wouldn't know what the reference is.

CorpseFister wrote:
In other news- fuck yes! My bands second album just came back from the factory. I am really damn proud of this thing and it feels great to finally hold a finished copy. Woo!

Congratulations dude.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:38 pm 

there is a world obliteration grind band.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:53 pm 

Damn. My lyrics are pro-nature/anti-civilization, but more in a punk aesthetic but not like Eco-terrorism. SO I'm just going to think while I'm at work. I like longer band names like Circle of Dead Children, The Day Everything Became Nothing, etc. But the name isn't everything. I mean the band Slampede is a sick thrash/groove/hardcore band but who would have known with that shit name.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:07 pm 

i wouldn't have thought so cause that name is terrible. and how you describe them... yea i would still think the same.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:15 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Sorrowseed's playing at Machine in Boston on March 28th and at the Palladium in Worcester on April 6th.

I had no idea that Machine was a music venue, I thought it was a gay bar.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:13 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
i wouldn't have thought so cause that name is terrible. and how you describe them... yea i would still think the same.

Totally a band that played shitty bars but its fast I shouldn't have said groove metal. Singer sounds like John Bloodclot from Cro-Mags with some alright growls. If bar metal was like this I would go to metal shows in my city more.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:16 pm 

yea you shouldn't have said groove metal. that's actually good what you linked. I didn't care for his shouted almost punky vocals all that much but they aren't predominate enough to ruin the entire song for me.

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:42 pm 

Well I kept working on the old song and it's turning out to be something really epic, with Carmina Burana-esque choir section. Though, I only have a piano reduction of it. Might be ready this week.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:15 am 

Apteronotus wrote:
Subrick wrote:
Sorrowseed's playing at Machine in Boston on March 28th and at the Palladium in Worcester on April 6th.

Oh it is, but the promoter is a big fan of our music and wanted us to come play for a long time. However the band was not active for most of 2011, so only now were we able to book the show.

Also, here are both the nu metal band and the deathstep band we're on a show with. It might make you all vomit through your ears.

http://www.reverbnation.com/patient0
http://www.facebook.com/PostExistence?s ... 8091127385

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Astrum502
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:22 pm 

My punk metal thrash band, which I like to call 1st Wave Black metal style, as that's my main inspiration, ASTRUM, is working on the new 2012 release. We start practice this Sunday of the new material. I have all the songs completed, and personally, I think it's a progression from our previous albums. Here is a new track, though this is a demo basically, as I am doing vocals here, and I recorded it all myself, my band has a female singer, and real drummer and all, so it will sound different when the whole band plays it. Comments welcome.

http://youtu.be/kuXV2QVon_E

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:04 pm 

Finally done with the demo! I'll post it on the spamming section once the links for bandcamp are up.

Now it's time to start working in figuring out how Sibelius works in order to compose some orchestral stuff.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:47 pm 

so far I'm almost done with two songs. . . coming along slowly dammit.
This Krisiun/CC hybrid thing isn't so easy after two songs.
Now I gotta figure out how to record them.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:03 pm 

make it happen!!! I'd want to hear for sure.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:05 pm 

Sweeps,sweeps,and more sweeps.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Poe Ohlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:07 pm 

Writing a few songs, still trying to get band members to record a demo.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:20 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Apteronotus wrote:

Oh it is, but the promoter is a big fan of our music and wanted us to come play for a long time. However the band was not active for most of 2011, so only now were we able to book the show.

Also, here are both the nu metal band and the deathstep band we're on a show with. It might make you all vomit through your ears.

http://www.reverbnation.com/patient0
http://www.facebook.com/PostExistence?s ... 8091127385

The band that rehearses right next to my practice space is way worse.

Played a show with Leaking Head last night and it was terrible. I could barely play guitar. Also, lack of equipment/being around a bunch of rock stars who are too busy drinking beer and whiskey to bring equipment. Played and then left. But we are going to get recorded February break and we will possibly have shirts coming as well.

Got some riffs for a new song. Going to name the band Violent Procreation after some Carnivore lyrics.

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:39 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Thanks for motivating, this is what I got http://soundcloud.com/dewfluor/intro. That's just the intro. I'll post the whole thing later. I wouldn't call them riffs exactly, but since there's gloomy atmosphere and dissonant overall feel, I figure you might like it

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:09 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
make it happen!!! I'd want to hear for sure.

thing is I have mixcraft :P and that isn't as godly as reaper I hear, so so far I'm partly screwed.
I don't exactly have good recording equipment, either so I can't record vocals (yet). Also my drum programming software failed. . . . I had a desktop that could record pretty well but it crashed since 2010. Two years I spent fixing it and It didn't work.
I don't know that I'll get anything done this year but I will definitely get some more songs written.
If you want to know how everything is going to sound then I can describe it to you. It, like I said, is supposed to be a Krisiun/CC hybrid style of death metal. So far it sounds more like Gore Obsessed meets Works of Carnage with a Vital Remains/Glen Benton sort of growl since that's how I do my vocals. I have to find a way to do drums.
I know it sounds like I'm making excuses. . . but I am :P :P
I'll definitely get some songs done soon, though.

BastardHead wrote:

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:16 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
So far it sounds more like Gore Obsessed meets Works of Carnage with a Vital Remains/Glen Benton sort of growl

So the vocals sound like shit? OH SLAM.

Nah, I'm kidding. Seriously though, I dig his vocals on earlier Deicide albums but the stuff he's done with VR is pretty poor.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:21 pm 

HA! I always enjoy some constructive criticism goddammit!!!

but yeah I can do the ultra-low Chris Barnes/Mike Majewski vocals but after a while they grow uncomfortable to my throat so I usually go no lower than Glen Benton SoR growling.
I can do high screams but I don't know if I should include them in the album I'm writing because they sounds like absolute shit to me. My high screams sound like Maurizio from Kataklysm. I hate that guy's high screams even though I absolutely love Kataklysm and Ex Deo.

BastardHead wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 185  Next