Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:33 pm 

I didn't want to create three different threads, so here are some random suggestions I've been thinking about...

I would like to be able to rate albums without leaving a review (one example would be the way iTunes does it). I think album ratings would get much more accurate if all of us people who are incapable of writing well could still have input. You could even keep reviewer's ratings separate, if you wanted the people who put some time into their work to get extra credit.

I've noticed quite a large amount of mistaken lyrics, sometimes they even pop up before the album was even released (an example would be In Flames' Sound of a Playground Fading). If someone could ask in the rules section that one uses official sources for lyrics, that alone would probably help.

I, personally, would like to see some genre descriptions put up on the site. Stuff about the origins of a genre, bands that pioneered it, genres it developed into (a rating system like the 'similar artists' tab would work great here). People on the Archives seem opposed to this sort of thing, but for me it would be convenient to have it integrated into the site rather than jumping between Allmusic and here.

That's about it, and thanks for creating this awesome site. I can credit most of my recent musical journey to this site and it's forums.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:37 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
I would like to be able to rate albums without leaving a review (one example would be the way iTunes does it). I think album ratings would get much more accurate if all of us people who are incapable of writing well could still have input. You could even keep reviewer's ratings separate, if you wanted the people who put some time into their work to get extra credit.

This has more-or-less been brought up time and time again and it's basically unwanted. Ratings take the description process out of judging an album, and is more likely to result in mindless 5-star/whatever the maximum rating is ratings without any thought process to back them. Basically, if you like reviews for the score attached to them, you're doing it wrong.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:44 pm 

Sometimes I just don't have time to read through entire reviews, but I see your point

stones n water
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:19 pm 

i agree with the lyrics, i pretty much take for granted that all the lyrics posted here are correct, but sometimes there not
what's whorse, sometimes the words are clear for everyone to hear, but inexplicably the guy (or girl) who posted them just made it wrong who knows why, or copy-pasted from a bad source without checking them

potug
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:04 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:

I, personally, would like to see some genre descriptions put up on the site. Stuff about the origins of a genre, bands that pioneered it, genres it developed into (a rating system like the 'similar artists' tab would work great here). People on the Archives seem opposed to this sort of thing, but for me it would be convenient to have it integrated into the site rather than jumping between Allmusic and here.

That's about it, and thanks for creating this awesome site. I can credit most of my recent musical journey to this site and it's forums.

I thought it would be nice too, like ''how to recognize a music genre'' but about history... there's some classical fights like, who created black metal: Venom or Bathory? and some people that also say: "Death didn't created death metal". All the metal history isn't very exact, opinions count a lot in these kind of history

Reply to topic