Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
C N Machiavelli
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:46 pm 

A thread for recommending which bands to see or skip a live performance.I'm not sure that this belonged in the Rec Central, so I put this thread here. Since this is the first post I'll start off.

I've recently been thinking about seeing Deicide live on March 3, though I'm unsure whether I should or not. I humbly enlist for help to help make up my mind about whether I should skip or see them.

I'm judging on the quality of the live performances Deicide (and Jungle Rot the others have had in the past (I've tried searching for a few videos that have a good quality that can capture the sound of the performance but the best one was Doomsday LA, and that was 5 years ago), so I could use some words of experience who have been to any of their recent shows. Set list information would also be helpful- I'm not going to a show where half of the Deicide setlist is from their latest album. Another issue is the supporting bands; while I'm pretty certain I'll just bide my time and find something else to do when Abigail Williams is onstage, does anybody know if I should stick around for Jungle Rot or Lecherous Nocturne?

I DON'T care about whether or not Glen Benton really is a fuckhead, since that's a point that many people bring up whenever Deicide is mentioned. I've already been to the venue (Gramercy Theater) and don't feel that it's too bad, so that point is irrelevant for me.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:22 pm 

Deicide have a habit of not showing up to shows, they most recently cancelled a show last-minute around here in 2010. You'll have fun if you're a die-hard fan, but they have very little stage presence, and their show isn't much more than Glen's banter and jokes. The put out two live DVDs since Jack Owen joined the band - it's a fairly tight performance, but they hardly move or interact with the crowd. Ralph Santolla and Dave Suzuki were the most animated guys of post-Hoffman Deicide.

I used to be a die-hard Deicide fan, but I lost respect for them because of their no-showing habit, and Jack Owen's white supremacist ties. I had more fun seeing Malevolent Creation when I didn't know their music than when I saw Deicide and loved their music.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:26 pm 

Jungle Rot live is a blast, you'll love it. Deicide however, or more or less kind of static. It's not that they're bad.....just boring. I used to be a pretty big fan too. It just seems like their all tired.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

C N Machiavelli
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:06 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Deicide's show isn't much more than Glen's banter and jokes.

Oh. I was hoping that any of his purported immaturity would be for signings and the like. Also I didn't know Jack Owen was a racist (so good thing everything after The Stench of Redemption sucked and I already own what I need, so he shouldn't expect any royalties from me).

Thanks for the advice guys. Keep this thread going; I already see that it's working out!

GarageMetal468
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:33 pm 

Well, I did convince a lot of people who were indecisive at the time to see Exhumed when they came around in October. Seriously one of the best bands I have ever seen live. Needless to say, none of them regretted it.

And Deicide were okay live, I guess. I agree with them not having a lot of stage presence.

ChurningtheMaelstrom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:35 am 

I saw Deicide a couple years ago at B.B. King's in NY and it was a great show. True, Deicide isn't the most stimulating band to see live but they played a lot of their best songs and played them well. No bullshit from Glen. Overall I'd say just go because going to shows is a lot of fun even if the band sucks.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:00 am 

100% see Lecherous Nocturne when you go to this show. Energetic performance, really good songs, just overall a good band.

Plus their bassist plays their crazily structured, fast as hell music with fingers. Gotta respect that.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

benstewart
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:05 am 

Nice post... Any upcoming live shows?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:57 pm 

benstewart wrote:
Nice post... Any upcoming live shows?

You're in Brooklyn? Of course there are upcoming shows.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:47 pm 

I have an opportunity to go to a live metal show tonight. It's a newer band, with a really great, hot shot virtuoso guitarist who I love hearing play but- I'm just not a big fan of the band. And my hesitation has to do with being surrounded by a much-younger crowd of fanboys of this particular group, while I am more an admirer of the musicianship rather than the band, or even the songs themselves. This is one of those pretty well-known modern metal bands that for some reason I just never got into. There is an undefinable "something" that this band seems to lack, compared to the bands that I dug way back when. And I dont wanna be one of those old cranky farts who is all like "back in my day the scene/bands were better..." because these guys ARE good and it would be cool to check em out- but that's my dilemma: how do you fit in; Wanting to check out a band because you like the guitar work, vs the younger teenage fans who have obsessed about this band for years and this is their first time playing in this city, etc. I will probably end up going anyway- nothing else seems to be going on tonight.

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:41 pm 

OP since you probably live nearby (A friend dragged me to a Blessthefall concert at Gramercy; I was pleasantly surprised), what other good shows do you know about within the vicinity?
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:45 pm 

I'm going to be seeing Eluveitie and Children of Bodom in a couple weeks. Can't wait :)

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:00 pm 

^well, after much hemming and hawing and general indeciciveness, I've made up my mind and I'm gonna go see 'em TONIGHT. I'll let you know how it was.

pbsisbad
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:14 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
^well, after much hemming and hawing and general indeciciveness, I've made up my mind and I'm gonna go see 'em TONIGHT. I'll let you know how it was.

How was it?
So you go to a show, and you can't mosh... who cares. Are you there to run into people or to listen to the music? If you want to run into people go to the mall and run through groups of mall goths or something for fun.

TIMJ Profile

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:09 pm 

^freakin' amazing! First of all, It's so very seldom that our little podunk town gets a genuine guitar hero playing a show here. Alexi Laiho is the real deal, and godDANG- when I was watching him, my jaw hit the floor; yeah he really is that good. The band themselves were practically note perfect; almost flawless, and the sound was great. I loved the dueling interplay between Laiho and Wirman's keyboards; the way they would build on each other through these really intricate riffs and meldodies- fuck, like I said, it was freakin' amazing. WELL worth it to drag my ass out on an otherwise boring nothing-going-on kinda night. (so I guess this thread was kind of theraputic for me, it helped me make up my mind to go see a great show!!)

I dug Eluvaitie too. They kind of had the In Flames thing going on, but with much more of a Celtic influence, and by that I mean "Celtic" as in instrumentation, melody and arrangements, not "Celtic" as in "Frost!" So they were interesting, and pretty good. And all my intial hangups of not knowing every single word to every song, not fitting in with a "younger" crowd, etc were (in hindsight) pretty superficial and dumb. Plenty of older types who didnt know all the lyrics. Just a great show all around.

Reply to topic