Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:03 am 

I already noticed Kjetter's modifications earlier today, and noted he was doing the right thing by stripping extraneous ANS values.

E.g., searching for "IHU" would still match I.H.U. by default, so there was absolutely no need for "IHU" to be in the ANS field.

Kjetter, carry on. :)

Kjetter
Mutineer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:22 am 

Alhadis wrote:

Cheers.

Another 11,110 entries left.. feel free to pitch in guys *grin*

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:23 am 

Actually, I'd say the legacy line-ups list is in dire need of finishing first...

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:37 am 

Hadn't noticed any deletions on the modifications page, apologies Kjetter

Kjetter
Mutineer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:39 am 

Alhadis wrote:
Actually, I'd say the legacy line-ups list is in dire need of finishing first...

Yes massah, right away massah.. Hoe Emma, hoe..

Seriously though, regarding legacy. I know there is a list function for "all bands lacking lineups" and "all bands lacking lineups that also has legacy attached". But is there a function to list "all bands with remaining legacy information attached"?

Inspector_Satan wrote:
Hadn't noticed any deletions on the modifications page, apologies Kjetter

No worries, no butthurts. =)

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:48 am 

Kjetter wrote:
But is there a function to list "all bands with remaining legacy information attached"?

Erh, I'm guessing you'd be looking for this.

Kjetter
Mutineer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:56 am 

Alhadis wrote:
Kjetter wrote:
But is there a function to list "all bands with remaining legacy information attached"?

Erh, I'm guessing you'd be looking for this.

*cough* *cough* Yes. Forgive that mind-fart; I really thought there were even more entries with legacy still attached then the 2000 and something listed there.
Thanks. I'm going to stop cluttering up this topic now.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:17 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
I already noticed Kjetter's modifications earlier today, and noted he was doing the right thing by stripping extraneous ANS values.

E.g., searching for "IHU" would still match I.H.U. by default, so there was absolutely no need for "IHU" to be in the ANS field.

Whoa, wait a second. You have misled poor Kjetter here, I was almost ready to ban him for point-whoring, then I saw these posts...

It's true that IHU still matches I.H.U. In cases like this, there is indeed no need to enter IHU in the alternate spelling field.

However, the opposite is not true: Kjetter, for example, removed "R.D.X." from RDX's alternate spelling, and now you can't find the band if you search for R.D.X.! (Well, that is, until I restored R.D.X. to the alternate spelling field.)

So, one must be careful when editing this field. One should note that if the band name is an acronym without periods, adding the version with periods to the alternate spelling field is acceptable and even encouraged.

Kjetter - I apologize for the confusing private message you received, I'll restore your account ASAP, as there was clearly no ill intent here.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Kjetter
Mutineer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:22 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Alhadis wrote:

Whoa, wait a second. You have misled poor Kjetter here, I was almost ready to ban him for point-whoring, then I saw these posts...

It's true that IHU still matches I.H.U. In cases like this, there is indeed no need to enter IHU in the alternate spelling field.

However, the opposite is not true: Kjetter, for example, removed "R.D.X." from RDX's alternate spelling, and now you can't find the band if you search for R.D.X.! (Well, that is, until I restored R.D.X. to the alternate spelling field.)

So, one must be careful when editing this field. One should note that if the band name is an acronym without periods, adding the version with periods to the alternate spelling field is acceptable and even encouraged.

Kjetter - I apologize for the confusing private message you received, I'll restore your account ASAP, as there was clearly no ill intent here.

Oh my. I was really not aware I was doing anything wrong. I even consulted your guide, and got the impression (pt. 7) that this was entirely A-OK, even encouraged.

I will gladly backtrack my history and try to restore the ones that has been mangled.
Edit: Fixed up a good 40 or so. There may very well be more but I think I caught the majority. My apologies for effin' it up in the first place.

Actually, I'd be very grateful for an updated and complete run-through on how the system is meant to work if nobody would mind. In the appropriate topic ofcourse.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:59 pm 

Kjetter wrote:
Oh my. I was really not aware I was doing anything wrong. I even consulted your guide, and got the impression (pt. 7) that this was entirely A-OK, even encouraged.

I will gladly backtrack my history and try to restore the ones that has been mangled.
Edit: Fixed up a good 40 or so. There may very well be more but I think I caught the majority. My apologies for effin' it up in the first place.

Actually, I'd be very grateful for an updated and complete run-through on how the system is meant to work if nobody would mind. In the appropriate topic ofcourse.

Don't worry, it's not your fault, I've also restored your access and your points. The guide (assuming you mean this) was actually wrong in two places. :lol: I had no idea it was wrong, nor how these mistakes slipped through, but it's my fault for not double-checking. I've updated the guide, namely points 7 and 8, as follows:

Quote:
07. What about bands with a dot (.) in their name?
-This is where it gets tricky. If the band name already contains periods, it is not necessary to add the version without periods in the AS field, because during the indexing, both the versions (with periods, and with periods stripped out) of the name will be indexed. However, the opposite is not true: if the band name does NOT have periods in the name, but could be potentially searched for with periods, the version with periods should be added.

Examples:
- I can find D.R.I if I search for DRI, because "D.R.I." is what is entered in the actual band name field. So there is no need to enter "DRI" in the AS field.
- However, I cannot find RDX if I search for R.D.X.. Therefore, I should enter "R.D.X." in the AS field, because it's not unreasonable that someone would search for "R.D.X.".
- I can find the band A.Death.Experience by searching for "A Death Experience" or "adeathexperience". I can also find the band ...and Here I Lie by just searching for and Here I Lie. No AS needed here.
- For a case like Stormtroopers of Death, if I enter "S.O.D." in the AS, I will be able to find the band by searching both SOD and S.O.D., so I don't need to enter the two versions of the acronym. However, if I only enter "SOD", searching for S.O.D. will not return any match. So when entering an acronym, I should always enter the version of the acronym that contains periods.

08. What about bands with apostrophes?
-You should add the version with or without an apostrophe as an AS.
-I can't find Autumn's End by searching for Autumns End unless I enter "Autumns End" as AS. Likewise, I cannot find Sanitys Dawn by searching for Sanity's Dawn unless "Sanity's Dawn" has been entered.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or if I wasn't clear enough.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Kjetter
Mutineer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:05 pm 

Ouch. So I fouled up quite a few that contained apostrophes as well. Damn.
Again, I am going to go back and try to restore what I ruined. Think I've fixed all the acronyms now.

As for the questions regarding the alternate spelling. It would be great if there was some kind of guide covering which characters are accented and which characters are not. If that was a bit unclear I will give a concrete example.
"Ä" is an accented character and does not need an ANS entry.
"Å" however is NOT an accented character, and as far as I know will need an ANS entry.

It's not very common, but I have come across a number of characters where I needed to experiment to find out if they required an ANS or not.

Also, Morrigan, may I suggest that you cut this conversation and glue it into the more appropriate thread so other's can find this when searching? =)

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:45 pm 

Kjetter wrote:
"Å" however is NOT an accented character, and as far as I know will need an ANS entry.

There is no need to add an ANS entry in this case. The search can find it if you search for an "A".

Kjetter
Mutineer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:10 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
Kjetter wrote:

There is no need to add an ANS entry in this case. The search can find it if you search for an "A".

How odd, I experimented a bit with that and I could have sworn.. .. ..But you are of course correct. Thanks.

Does this extend to all the other similar characters? That is, all the characters that has a regular latin alphabet simile.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:47 am 

Kjetter wrote:
Does this extend to all the other similar characters? That is, all the characters that has a regular latin alphabet simile.

Thanks to UTF-8 collation, yes. :) Try searching for "Aexilium"... you'll notice it turns up a result for Æxilium, despite the absence of an ANS.

Morrigan wrote:

Ah shit, I didn't even notice that either...

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:10 pm 

Reporting myself, I added two albums to Jake Dreyer's discography that are already under Deadringer's Guild.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Jak ... 3540331748

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:34 pm 

Gone.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:28 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/users/goregut ---> check his modifications, all what he did is trolling.

Another one: http://www.metal-archives.com/users/theonapoloni look what he did with this page: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Crossbones/109767 could someone verify the existence of those releases?

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:10 pm 

Looks like it's their drummer who added all those demos and singles. I will contact him tomorrow.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:26 pm 

I don't suppose this http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Uzala/3540307083 is allowed with band's pics.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:46 pm 

Could someone ask http://www.metal-archives.com/users/Verd how did he figure out the line-ups on albums/demos by this http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ayat/20569 underground band. As far as I know some of those demos was not even released anytime over the Internet and a really handful of local fans/band members have them, if they even got released/recorded. Also this user http://www.metal-archives.com/users/fleurs%20du%20mal should probably be banned since she initially added completely freestyle line-ups to some of those demos (for example she added Dr. Cripples as the drummer on some demos although Dr. Cripples is more probably the name of the drum machine used only on their last album) and apparently the user Verd intended to (correct?) the mess she did by adding another (freestyle?) line-ups.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:49 pm 

I've told him to check this thread.

Dr_Keloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:27 am 

GraveWish wrote:
I don't suppose this http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Uzala/3540307083 is allowed with band's pics.

Needs to be just the latest line-up, of course. I'll crop the current jaypeg.

Verd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:23 am 

GraveWish wrote:
Could someone ask http://www.metal-archives.com/users/Verd how did he figure out the line-ups on albums/demos by this http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ayat/20569 underground band. As far as I know some of those demos was not even released anytime over the Internet and a really handful of local fans/band members have them, if they even got released/recorded. Also this user http://www.metal-archives.com/users/fleurs%20du%20mal should probably be banned since she initially added completely freestyle line-ups to some of those demos (for example she added Dr. Cripples as the drummer on some demos although Dr. Cripples is more probably the name of the drum machine used only on their last album) and apparently the user Verd intended to (correct?) the mess she did by adding another (freestyle?) line-ups.

Hi.

On January 19th, 2012, guitarist/bassist of Ayat Mullah Sadogoat sent the following report:

Ayat - Possession of Sister Clair - Drummer is Ayman
Ayat - Demo I - Drummer is Ayman not Dr. Cripples
Ayat - El Nabi Mojrem Moghtaseb Dajjal Demo - Drummer is Ayman not Dr. Cripples
Ayat - Rehearsal II - Drummer is Haytham not Dr. Cripples
Ayat - Rehearsal I - Drummer is Haytham not Dr. Cripples
Ayat - Necronarcotic Rehearsal - Drummer is Haytham and not Dr. Cripples
Source/Evidence:
I am the guitarist / bassist of Ayat

You can reach him here: http://www.metal-archives.com/users/SadoGoat.

For what concerns the drummer, the evidence is that they have always been a two-piece (as they say here http://www.live4metal.com/ayat2009.htm for instance), so this is probably the reason why the drummers are listed as guests. But I have no memory and I don't remember every thing very well!

Bye.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:40 am 

Well, http://www.metal-archives.com/users/SadoGoat is indeed a member of the band. By clicking on "View report history" I can only see one report by kingnuuuur stating that "Dr. Cripples is the alias of Haytham Khouja." I would trust kingnuuuur since he's a local although I don't recommend to use the real names for the musicians in this band, for obvious reasons. Can a moderator find the report posted by SadoGoat? It will be helpful if someone with access to the guy's email could contact him and verify the line-ups. It will be also helpful to know if Haytham Khouja is indeed Dr. Cripples and if he is the same Haytham who played on the other albums. Another thing is to know if Ayman's alias is Commander, the guy from the band Tenebra. If he wasn't, it will be good to know on which album's Commander played. In all cases Dr. Cripples is the guy who programmed the drums on their last album, I suppose he could be added to the line-up of the album.

P.S: If it's not possible to contact the guy I can manage to get more information but this may take some time.

Last edited by GraveWish on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Verd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:46 am 

I can find it for you: http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/361063

Lauri
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:26 am 

"Badbulon" is adding wrong/fake lyrical themes on some band pages

ex: Angst "Illness, Introspection" .... I wonder how he could find that ...

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:31 pm 

GraveWish wrote:
Another one: http://www.metal-archives.com/users/theonapoloni look what he did with this page: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Crossbones/109767 could someone verify the existence of those releases?

I got it confirmed. He's the drummer of the band and the tracks have all been released on cd/cd-r.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:20 pm 

Lauri wrote:

I've sent him a warning.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:00 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/users/Putago added a re-release to Nachtblut's discography

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:33 pm 

Re-release deleted, and warning sent.

Jakko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:03 am 

Tell "DreadlockMocio" to stop adding shit

For Zelzah, he added a photo of the cd because there is no band picture, here is his comment for report

"I added the right Logo, but there is are no photos of the mand, for this reason I ADD FOR THE MOMENT A CD PHOTO"

---

I also cant count how many double entries he created for artists because he can't fu***** read band bios to merge artists...

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:27 am 

Quote:
Tell "DreadlockMocio" to stop adding shit

This is not the first time I reported the guy once for adding utter crap, he even added an album's name instead of a band's logo. To quote myself:

Quote:
Could someone please tell http://www.metal-archives.com/users/DreadlockMocio to stop adding wrong line-ups, wrong album line-ups, bullshit logos and band pics!

Apparently he kept on doing the same thing. Oh I just noticed that he was previously reported by at Alhadis too. And looks like I reported him more then once too :-P

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:26 am 

I've sent him a warning.

Zorg85
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:58 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
Lauri wrote:

I've sent him a warning.

he's still adding shit

check the band picture he added for "Nawaharjan"

We only see 2 arms... common

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Naw ... 3540340430

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:41 am 

Final warning sent.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:58 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/users/Celticmoon adding random line-ups to newly added bands.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:28 pm 

Ugh, someone complained about him earlier, and I wasn't sure what was wrong because the email was vague, but.... he's been banned before, so I've heard enough. Nuked.

Edit: unbanned after talking to him, but we'll keep an eye on him.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Zorg85
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:04 am 

You should ban "dismember_marcin" or at least dock all his points and send him a serious warning.

He fucked up most album line-ups for Ad Hominem

He listed Kaizer Wohdanaz with All Instruments, Vocals, LIVE BASS ....

This live Bass should not appear in album line-ups: some people are congenital idiots

"LORD DAMIAN" also did it for at least one album

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:47 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/users/GoatCrusher777 added random bandcamp tracks as demo releases.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:32 pm 

Alhadis sent a warning to dismember_marcin.

GraveWish wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/users/GoatCrusher777 added random bandcamp tracks as demo releases.

Links?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 121  Next