Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:32 am 

OzzyApu, that Aurora Borealis review's rating is really off.

Quote:
hardly do I ever find a point where I’m actually absorbed like water forming into ice. They’re a second-rate The Chasm, except poorer riffs and much less enthusiastic music. The bass support in this respect doesn’t help out too much, since everything sounds so flat and bland. I bet on my iPod I could make out it’s lines, but that’s hardly worth the effort since the music is very uneventful and drags on without interesting me one bit.

[...]

[The vocals] are so low that they go under the radar without any of it meaning anything to me. When I hear vocals, I intend to understand the music more – this isn’t the case with this album. Very rarely are there moments that mean anything to me here [...] Most of the time it’s very fast tremolo picking, but you can’t expect to pull that off for a full album without building up to anything!

Based on those criticisms, the album is a "piece of shit" and is rated 21%. Second rate compared to The Chasm is accurate, "second rate rip-off" is simply not true, and your criticism warrants a score of about 50% by my reckoning. Boo hiss! What do you mean about "making out the lines" with iPod anyway?

It seems to be a hard band to actually criticise. Noktorn's review of Relinquish is a total failure in that regard (comes off as him not wanting to admit to enjoying it that much), and I'm not surprised, the band is pretty good.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:50 pm 

C'mon man, don't worry about the rating that much. Having read over it again, I think it does warrant a score around the range I gave it. I don't like the music, so what's so hard to understand about the score?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:38 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Noktorn's review of Relinquish is a total failure in that regard (comes off as him not wanting to admit to enjoying it that much)

you've got to be kidding me

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:42 pm 

Noktorn is a good reviewer as long as his work doesn't devolve into a self-centered rant, something that happens more often than it should for my taste.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:21 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
C'mon man, don't worry about the rating that much. Having read over it again, I think it does warrant a score around the range I gave it. I don't like the music, so what's so hard to understand about the score?

Either you have a different rating scale or failed to express in words your disdain for the music. I accept your opinion. Sometimes I just can't understanding such ratings.

Noktorn: It lacks atmosphere because the drummer plays too many fills? I agree that the album is lacking in atmosphere, but your criticisms are mainly piss-poor.
Quote:
And yet, despite these qualities, something seems to be... missing.
Quote:
Perhaps it's just me.

Verd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:25 am 

Metal_Detector wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Alestorm/Back_Through_Time/302666/Verd

Apparently the album has no highlights.

It had them, but someone probably deleted them when approving the review..

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:41 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

Either you have a different rating scale or failed to express in words your disdain for the music. I accept your opinion. Sometimes I just can't understanding such ratings.

Quote:
For one, the production is shit awful; no it’s not like putrid where the fuzz overwhelms everything, but it’s more the along the lines of just boring

The atmosphere is neither cold nor epic like you’d expect from the name, album cover, lyric titles, etc. The only chilly thing that I can consider is how thin the guitar tone is: very tiny, razor-like, and rather timid. It keeps flopping away with different rhythm changes and patterns overlapping, but hardly do I ever find a point where I’m actually absorbed like water forming into ice. They’re a second-rate The Chasm, except poorer riffs and much less enthusiastic music. The bass support in this respect doesn’t help out too much, since everything sounds so flat and bland.

Drumming to me is relentless and is both louder and clearer than the riffs and vocals. The double bass is hardly offensive – it sounds like pillows are in the way or the kick and the bass drum; either that or he’s drumming with q-tips. The pace is always fast, but it hardly makes up for the lack of effort on the part of the rest of the instruments. Everything else about the kit (aside from the cymbals) is subpar in quality; they all sound flat, even though the drumming is motivated enough.

They’re pure raspy screams (yes, raspy screams) that are very low in the mix, and that means under the loud drums and under the seemingly quiet guitars / bass. They’re so low that they go under the radar without any of it meaning anything to me. When I hear vocals, I intend to understand the music more – this isn’t the case with this album. Very rarely are there moments that mean anything to me here, and all the songs sounding similar don’t help the cause, either.

hile I will say that the latter half of the album is better than the first half (beginning with “For Your Comprehension,” so not really latter half), the album is still a piece of shit. Uninspired, poorly produced music with ballistic drumming isn’t going to save this one from the recycling bin.

How does any of this fail to express my disdain for the album? I have no idea how you can't understand that after reading it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:52 pm 

I'm surprised I didn't get any noticeable backlash from my Obscura review.

Oh, shit. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:57 pm 

Sarcasm? Because it WAS mentioned on the last page.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:01 am 

Empyreal wrote:

It's not exactly backlash, and I meant for the fact that I gave it such a low score, not the actual quality of the review.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:34 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

It's not exactly backlash, and I meant for the fact that I gave it such a low score, not the actual quality of the review.

So you want backlash? :lol:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:39 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
How does any of this fail to express my disdain for the album? I have no idea how you can't understand that after reading it.

Your criticism does not come across as nearly as vehement as a score of 21% would, in my opinion, warrant, is all.

I do not agree with the descriptions altogether, but that's another thing: what puzzles me is how ill you think of unevoking, uninteresting yet not inherently crappy music. Such albums get 50%-ish from me.
Wilytank wrote:

Disappointed?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:58 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

Disappointed?

Actually, I think I am. :lol: But I'm not the most well known reviewer on teh internetz. Plus, I only lowered the average score by like 4%.

Back when it was just a rating and a blurb review on Rate Your Music that took me all of 10 seconds to write, I got a comment from one of my acquaintances there: "Bad, bad, BAD [Wilytank]! *swats you on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper*" He also said something about the problem clearly lies with me. :roll:

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:23 pm 

It's terrible that people are discussing divergent views on metal with calm rationality rather than brash emotionalism...

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:46 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
It's terrible that people are discussing divergent views on metal with calm rationality rather than brash emotionalism...

It's civilization man, which has already assimilated us. AND YOU SHALL BE ASSIMILATED TOO!!!

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:35 pm 

Just like to say that it's always nice to read a good ol' fashioned Darkness Descends worship review. Something about that album gets people so enthusiastic and excited, like they're still on a high from the excellence of DD and want to rip heads off RIGHT NOW but there are no heads around so they have to settle for pounding a really positive review into the keyboard instead.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

Oh, shit. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it.

Self obsessed much?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:47 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/A ... ationFront

Fist of all, WOW. Second of all, he gives almost zero justification for calling this "the best metal album since 1993." There's one sentence of extremely vague musical description, and then two paragraphs going on about how good he thinks it is. I'm almost tempted to put this in oven fodder, something I rarely resort to.

Opinions?

Last edited by Metal_Detector on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:49 pm 

Shit review, yes, but then again similar or even worse stuff gets accepted.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:19 pm 

I'm sure this was brought up when it happened, but I was wondering what happened to Noktorn's Catasexual Urge Motivation review?

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:27 pm 

Razakel wrote:
I'm sure this was brought up when it happened, but I was wondering what happened to Noktorn's Catasexual Urge Motivation review?

Morrigan removed it I believe.

Obligatory Last FM Link

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:29 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/G ... Zodijackyl

I get that not everyone will connect with the emotional drive of these songs, so whatever. But the production is fantastic on this record! The dynamics are excellent between the fuzzy guitars and synths, the acoustic instruments, pianos and reverby leads- it all fits to create a huge and wonderful sonic space. To say it’s indecipherable noise suggest serious hearing damage.

Anyway, this review is crazy talk. Il Etait Une Foret is an incredible record.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:46 pm 

Yeah, I was arguing with him on #metal, I highly disagree with him on many many subjects. I think he only talks about how the songs are too long and how the production is crap (which is really not). Anyway, he gave 100% to Morbid Angel's latest frisbee so... :) But he's a cool guy ahaha.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:18 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Gris/Il_%C3%89tait_une_For%C3%AAt.../165412/Zodijackyl

I get that not everyone will connect with the emotional drive of these songs, so whatever. But the production is fantastic on this record! The dynamics are excellent between the fuzzy guitars and synths, the acoustic instruments, pianos and reverby leads- it all fits to create a huge and wonderful sonic space. To say it’s indecipherable noise suggest serious hearing damage.

Anyway, this review is crazy talk. Il Etait Une Foret is an incredible record.

Thats one of my favourite albums of all time, but its certainly not for everyone. I kind of get what he says about the bad production (although I disagree.) The guitars do sound extremely distorted and grainy and are often hard to make out. This works perfectly with the album though, in my opinion. And I feel that the songs need to be long to establish an atmosphere. While I understand why he didn't like it, I think 17% is hyperbole done just to drag the albums score down. Objectively its not that great of a review, because he barely goes into any detail at all.

Been meaning to do reviews lately, just haven't had time. University is pretty overwhelming right now so I don't really have a lot of time and I don't wan't to do reviews at expense of my social life. Hopefully I'll have a bit more time soon.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:50 pm 

Yeah it's one of my favorite albums too, but it's definitely not for everyone. Still though, I think the production on that album is just about perfect for the style of music.

I’ve also been mulling over trying my hand at reviewing. I’ve got a few under or not at all reviewed albums in mind.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:49 pm 

The first paragraph in Genzel's 100% review for, wait for it, Ozzy Osbourne's Scream album has to be one of the biggest facepalm moments in recent memory:

Quote:
Sure, there are depressing moments, akward singing and somewhat one dimensional lyrical production, but no one can argue if Ozzy didnt this time deliver a solid studio album once again. I wont listen to the other comments about this masterpiece, because music isn't rational: its all about emotion. And if you arent a sensitive person who likes to talk about feelings, dont listen to Ozzy! Because Ozzy is all about emotion. Ozzy clamped up a solid metal album and is now the ruling prince in the metal industry. Not Ozzy only in his solo career defined classic rock, he also made a truly groundbreaking revelations with the Scream- album. Scream album is an original release, which defines modern heavy metal music.

Where to begin, am I right? Apparently awkward singing, boring lyrics, and depressing moments = a perfect album. Oh, and despite the other negative reviews, no one can deny that this is solid music. Also, I was enlightened to learn that Ozzy defined classic rock with his solo band, you know, only nearly two decades after classic rock had been around...

:durr:

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:40 pm 

Wow... just wow. Also, I love it when people use things an artist has done in the past to justify praising a recent album by said artist. As if that makes the music on the newer album better.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:53 pm 

I was reading the reviews for Morbid Saint's Destruction System. They were pretty good, I agreed with a lot of what they said...except for one thing. Each of the reviewers said the production was sub-par or at least worse than Spectrum of Death. At low to medium volume yeah it sounds a bit rough...but c'mon this is some of the most evil, vicious thrash there is...crank it up! I love the production of this album, it's a hell of a lot better than modern or even contemporary albums. Most albums have a volume limit (unless you have some state of the art setup maybe). At a certain point everything starts to blend together, sound like crap, and cause your ears to bleed. Destruction System is the exact opposite. The louder you play it the better it sounds, I have yet to find a limit...I know of no other album that does the same.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:19 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Wow... just wow. Also, I love it when people use things an artist has done in the past to justify praising a recent album by said artist. As if that makes the music on the newer album better.

Morbid Angel made Altars of Madness, so that must mean Illud Divinum Insanus is good, right?

googens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:02 pm 

The latest Debauchery review isn't filled with any actual description other than calling it shit over and over. Only thing I could get out of it is that it's a pile of shit and that its Six Feet Under with AIDS.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:18 pm 

Sounds about right, actually.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:46 pm 

It's actually more like Six Feet Under's slow but well-meaning cousin. He's fun to hang around once in a while but he can get annoying in extended contact.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:50 pm 

I hope you're kidding. That album is a monstrous turd. I about pissed myself the first time I heard it. God, what abysmal shit.

Obligatory Last FM Link

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:17 pm 

Ha...well I do enjoy the good poop joke so I guess that's why I can get some form of entertainment from it.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:06 pm 

I simply had to listen to something off that album, and I must say that had I not been expecting a musical equivalent of a flaccid cock slap in the face, I would've turned it off immediately. It was hard rock, essentially, with heavy guitar tones and growls. Not as bad as the reviewer claims, but incredibly bad regardless.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:18 pm 

I'm rather enjoying OzzyApu's Rotting Christ reviews, especially since he seems to have a slightly different opinion when it comes to most of them. I have a feeling I'll always love TotLL the most though, and I don't quite have a burning passion for Sleep of the Angels yet.

Also: are there any other bands that you think released six albums of consecutively growing merit?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:50 pm 

Thanks man. I'm enjoying writing them in trios, since it keeps it clean and distinctive (from my perspective). I love this band, and each album holds its own in its own way.

As for your question, Shining (Swe) and WASP are a couple that are in the ballpark, but I doubt I'll get agreement on that from others.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:19 pm 

Just saw a 91% review for Electric Wizard's Black Masses and that the review average is in the 80s. I don't get why people like it. I mean they had some truly amazing albums like their debut and Dopethrone, but Black Masses is just boring, the only really good track is the title one.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:23 pm 

It's obviously not a bad album by any means. I wouldn't give it a 91, but a 80 to 85, around the same for Witchcult Today. Yes, their early stuff was better, but they are still a very solid band, albeit in a comfort zone.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:03 pm 

I hate to pick on other people's reviews since I also write them, but since when is Aborted goregrind? I actually like the tone of the review, more or less, but the user insists on calling Aborted a goregrind band which is factually wrong.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 520  Next