Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thrashedtofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:47 am 

Unifying_Disorder wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
Maybe you're shitty.

I don't know. Maybe I have to watch it again. I'm not saying it was bad, but it was a letdown from what I was expecting.

Mad Max 2 pretty much invented (or at least popularised) the whole leatherclad punky post-apocalyptic thing. I think it´s aesthetics are more important than storyline or production value.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:44 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Watched The Man from Earth for the second time tonight, brilliant flick. I wish the people I viewed it with hadn't gotten caught up on "believability." Come on. The film is so far beyond any sorts of attempts to legitimize the science fiction aspect of it...it's not about that.

Those sorts of people can be really irritating to watch movies with. Are they the kind of guys who would spend half an hour talking about how different Night of the LIving Dead would be, with cellular phones?
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:21 am 

I watched Schindler's List for the countless time. Terrific picture and definitely Spielberg's swan song. I always find new and interesting things to notice every time I watch it. One thing being Hitler is neither mentioned nor referenced throughout the entire film..or at least I don't recall. I believe this was the director's way of emphasizing the fact that although Adolf Hitler was indeed one of history's biggest criminals, to even show his portrait hanging in an office in the background would possibly plant the notion to the viewer that one man was responsible for brainwashing all those people when in reality, The Holocaust was very much a collaborative effort and every man who supported, took part or enabled it was every bit as guilty as the madman at the top.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:26 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
The only Coens film i didn't really like was A Serious Man. Anyone else feel this way?Burn After Reading may not be their top effort, but was pretty hilarious. Malkovich killed it.

That movie is abysmal. Painful to sit through. It's not the only one I dislike, I actually don't think much of No Country, although it certainly wasn't horrible. Burn after reading took a little while to work for me, and I was bored and unentertained for a good 45 minutes, but the way it goes crazy in the last hour is hilarious and fun as hell. The CIA guys doing the wrap ups were probably the things that got to me the most. That and the dildo chair.

hahah yeah man i guess you kinda have shit in common with me on these ones. Serious Man seemed like an imposter style modern "quirky" attempt at dark comedy, rather than the artful execution of intelligent black comedy we've come to expect from The Bros. I was pretty disheartened at the first ten-fifteen and i've never really felt like that with a Coens film before. They either draw you right in with rich cinematography, surreal dark humour, thrilling foreshadowing, or all of the above. I'll admit that while watching BAR i started to feel the same way, but overall the quality of the dark humour, and Malko-dawg's performance captivated me after some initial doubt. I definitely believe in their ability to keep keep making good films, but that was certainly a missed-step with SM. They're not a write-off like Queensryche (no good product in 20 years), but yeah, odd to see a bad film by them. It felt generic. :\

Oh, and by the way, long time Coens fan here, and i wasn't too thrilled with No Country either, especially on first viewing. It's still a good film, but my friends, film workers and otherwise seemed to love it a lot more than i did. Give me Barton Fink any day and i'll A&E it.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:19 am 

Razakel wrote:
I loved A Serious Man.

lord_ghengis wrote:
Out of interest, could you point out a single element that was enjoyable? I seriously can't identify a single redeeming quality.

I just thought it was really funny. Hilarious characters, everything going so horribly wrong for the protagonist. I haven't seen it since it came out, but I remember really liking it. I was really impressed by the lead actor and I still don't know who he is.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:28 am 

I watched Schindlers List for the first time only a few weeks back, it really is amazing how physically distressed I was by a few of the scenes. The gas chamber one is probably the closest I've been to recoiling in sheer terror, but any of the scenes where the executions weren't fast (the gun jamming scene for example) the tension builds at a huge rate.

I really couldn't see anything funny about A Serious Man, unlikeable asshole people treat an unlikeable dweeb meanly at an exceeding slow pace for an hour and a half. It really seemed like a very internal movie just for themselves, I mean the first 15 minutes are entirely unrelated to the movie, it's just so off putting.

Vlachos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:04 am 

It was a brilliant film, but how can anyone watch Schindler's List more than like, two times?
I took advantage of being in 8 feet of ocean water by taking an enormous dump in the water. I had goggles on so I watched it sink to the sand on the ocean floor. It was the most awe-inspiring thing I have ever seen.

Playing online like a true boller right here

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:44 am 

my ex-girlfriend loved it, plus.... so..............

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:53 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
It felt generic. :\

Dude, what the hell are you talking about? It's cool if you didn't enjoy the film, it was based heavily on Jewish symbolism, but calling it generic is just dumb.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:03 pm 

Just watched Restoration with Robert Downey Jr. and David Thewlis (One of my fave actors). 8/10 interesting history piece with a unique sense of humour and a good story.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:49 pm 

I've been meaning to watch Shindler's list for a while but it seems like 3 hours of intense black and white depression so I'm not super down.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:58 pm 

What's wrong with intense black and white depression?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:09 pm 

Different tastes I guess :p

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:58 am 

On Coens:

Miller's Crossing: I agree with Expedience, it was rather forgettable. A remake of an older film noir flick, but with darker overtones (due to Hollywood sensibilities being what they were when the original was made) and doesn't really capture much of the feel of the original, or film noir. A romp without much of interest taking place. One of their poorer films, if not the poorest.

A Serious Man: I can't say I was too fond of the film either, but I sort of see where they were going with it and why it doesn't really have much of an appeal to anyone too familiar with the ethos and ideas of people of American Jewish descent. The film is take on Job (the unlucky dude from bible) and Jewism and its ideals as well as America in the 1960s. Yeah, everyone is pretty much a prick in the film and the film more or less knows it. It's a sort of a dark, quirky comedy like Coens have been making for a while, but this one goes for a rather niche crowd. I do like how they build up the rabbis. Three rabbis, supposedly wise in the matters of life and religion, yet all three pretty much don't have anything to say to the Job of the film. Or really anything to offer for anyone. It makes some interesting points, but as a movie it wasn't very enjoyable. Don't know if it works better for members of the target group.

No Country for Old Men: I can see why people wouldn't enjoy it, but I think the understated dialogue, explosive action and stoic approach to storytelling really captured the feel of Cormac McCarthy's writing. Just strong performances all around and much to my liking.

Abominatrix wrote:
Nahsil wrote:
Watched The Man from Earth for the second time tonight, brilliant flick. I wish the people I viewed it with hadn't gotten caught up on "believability." Come on. The film is so far beyond any sorts of attempts to legitimize the science fiction aspect of it...it's not about that.

Those sorts of people can be really irritating to watch movies with. Are they the kind of guys who would spend half an hour talking about how different Night of the LIving Dead would be, with cellular phones?

I used to watch movies and thinking "this isn't believable at all", fortunately no longer. I don't think it is necessary in art/storytelling/whatever - be it books, films, comics, games - for the storytelling to be realistic. Nor is it really desirable either, unless the story calls for it. As long as everything that happens serves some purpose in the story, storytelling, theme setting it's all good. A coherence within a piece of work is desirable, but even that can be waived in case it is necessary, for example completely forgetting some plot point to increase the atmosphere of dread in a horror movie.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:03 pm 

Conan: The Barbarian (remake) - 7 out of 10.

I've gotta say, I was expecting some stuff from this movie. I was expecting a not so good acting and I got it (Ron Pearlman and Morgan Freeman both just didn't care through it). I was expecting a very generic revenge story and I got it. I was extpecting un-even storytelling and I got it. The one thing I didn't expect from this was to enjoy it.....and I did. The film knows what it is, dosn't try to do anything outside of what it is and decides to just be itself, and I just enjoyed it. There was an enjoyable ammount of blood for an Unrated film (Not sure if there's an unrated version out). The action was fun to watch. There was also some legit "Holy Shit" moments in it, like the opening scene with the baby in the womb and later on when Conan uses a decapitated head to get past security. I also actually enjoyed the witch daughter, I'm a sucker for female villians and she was fun one. So yeah, this surprised me, it wasn't anything great or even good, it was just a fun action/fantasy film and I can't complain about that.

FromADistance
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:17 pm 

Apollo 18 - 4.5/5

I'd been told this film was disappointing; non-scary, badly-shot and uninteresting. They, as I've often found, were wrong. Of all the "found footage" style films that have been in vogue since The Blair Witch Project, this is the scariest one I've ever seen. The feeling of claustrophobia and utter abandonment is almost enough to induce a panic attack, especially when the scares REALLY start coming.

I think it's because as a culture we've become used to the moon being accessible; we see the footage from the Apollo missions and think "been there, done that". We had forgotten how difficult every step of that journey was, and how utterly dangerous the positions of the men on each flight were; how close they were to never coming home. This film has reinforced that for me; the sense of loneliness and helplessness adds more than anything to the chill factor. In space, no-one can hear you scream.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:30 am 

I saw Pina last night in 3D. This was the first time I'd seen a 3D movie in a very long time, so that took some getting used to, but once I adjusted, I really enjoyed the film. I don't know much about modern dance (or dance in general), but the film was so beautifully shot that I got completely absorbed by the performances. Great score as well. The "narrative" is an interesting one as well. The way they interweave larger performances with short interview clips and solo dance pieces kept me engaged the entire time. I'm not sure if such a method would work in any other film however.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:41 am 

Underworld Awakening- saw it in a "fake imax", but still impressed. Very loud movie. It nearly felt like there was an earthquake during the action scenes.

morfumax
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:33 am 

Just watched The Grey, which I thought was very well done, and was really successful at creating an isolated atmosphere. Bonus points for Liam Neeson.

I have to say I think that Empyreal's taste in movies is extremely shitty. Which is surprising, since his taste in power metal is great. Or not so surprising I guess. Or maybe I just have completely opposite tastes when it comes to movies.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:37 am 

In the name of the Father (1993)
4/5

Powerful, thrilling, and critically acclaimed cinema following the story of Gerry Conlon and the rest of the Guildford Four - a wrongly convicted group blamed for the 1974 Guildford Pub bombings in London, during a period of heightened unrest between the IRA and British forces in the UK. Seemingly unanimously praised actor Daniel Day Lewis leads the cast of this evocative, moving film, as Conlon, and gives a brilliant performance as a small-time thief from Belfast, beaten and broken by the police, forced into admitting guilt for these heinous crimes, by an incompetent and corrupt British Police force under pressure to find the culprits. Aside from a stunning performance by DDL, in one of his most celebrated roles, Pete Postlethwaite does excellently as Giuseppe, and acclaimed actress Emma Thompson makes an appearance. If you like your films moving, powerful and with meaty subject matter, this based on a true story film should appeal to you, and it's pretty easy to see why it was so critically acclaimed. Apart from an apparent few historical/factual inaccuracies, it's pretty hard to fault this film really. The fairly contemporary nature of the the subject matter, at the time of the film, with a biography by the real-life Gerry, means that Daniel Day Lewis was here pretty confined in a role less fantastical, or open than his others, and he really explodes, doing a brilliant job of some challenging stuff. His breakdown for example is just an acting masterclass. I'd recommend this film.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:40 am 

I'm just restlessly waiting for Quentin Tarantino's next masterpiece.

Expendables 2 looks fun especially with Chuck Norris added.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:58 am 

I love Tarantino,and I'm sure Django Unchained will kick infinite ammounts of ass,but based on the details made available so far,I'm not super excited. Great cast though.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:05 am 

Yeah on paper, QT's film plots don't look like much but it's in the execution of those little awesome details(Tarantino-isms) that fuel the enjoyment and that is why he is the best filmmaker working today. I see there is now a release date. I'll be very much looking forward to Christmas Day just for that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:13 am 

morfunax wrote:
Just watched The Grey, which I thought was very well done, and was really successful at creating an isolated atmosphere. Bonus points for Liam Neeson.

I have to say I think that Empyreal's taste in movies is extremely shitty. Which is surprising, since his taste in power metal is great. Or not so surprising I guess. Or maybe I just have completely opposite tastes when it comes to movies.

And maybe next time you could actually give a real argument or statement instead of saying stupid shit. I thought The Grey was good too so I guess you have shitty taste as well.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:04 am 

^ hahaha, what the fuck is this shit?

Conan the Barbarian (1982)
3/5

I just watched this for the first time in many years, and while flawed, mostly dude to the hammy acting, and campy dialogue, this well-regarded sword and sorcery epic wins out due to insanely good soundtrack, awesome gore and stunning sets and costumes. The film is a mixture of influences from the original pulp writings, and the later books by other authors, so many fans of those literary works are bound to have differing opinions on the film depending on where their allegiances lie. In my opinion, the film's considerable budget could have been better spent on casting, and perhaps a bit more (though i hear scripts were in the works for 10+ years) on script writing, as these are really the only weak areas of the film. As with the horror genre to which i'm partial, sword and sandal type flicks, though constantly attempted by many directors passionate of the subject matter and genre, often fall down due to lack of budget - but with its $20 million, one could be forgiven for perhaps thinking a better job could have done in the acting and dialogue departments. With cheap horror films for example - we expect these deficiencies, and they're part of the charm , but with a production of this scale they seem out of place. Anyways, an enjoyable film with an epic narrative of vengeance and quest, and plenty of brute force, and nude or partially fur-clothed babes including a seductive snake witch and sword-proficient scantily clad Valeria, who beheads guards while barely clothed in fur, along with Arnie as Conan and his sidekick Subotai. The strongest performances are by James Earl Jones as the villain Thulsa Doom, and Max von Sydow as King Osric.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:09 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
I'm just restlessly waiting for Quentin Tarantino's next masterpiece.

Expendables 2 looks fun especially with Chuck Norris added.

And he's managed to piss a lot of people off with the rating..

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:59 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I love Tarantino,and I'm sure Django Unchained will kick infinite ammounts of ass,but based on the details made available so far,I'm not super excited. Great cast though.

Hahaha, his next film is really called Django Unchained? Be prepared for a flux of "Django" films in movie stores. Anyway, looking forward to it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:26 am 

The Grey - 4/5

A very cold, isolated film about Liam Neeson and some of his co-workers getting stranded out in the arctic wastelands after a plane crash and having to fend against wolves and all sorts of other perils. Each of them has his own inner trouble and one of the main themes is the desperation and longing one feels for comfort in hard, harsh environments - we all have things to cling to. Neeson gives one of his best performances in a while and the other guys all do pretty well themselves. The main strength of the film is the huge, enveloping atmosphere of cold and desolation. I felt downright hopeless several times when watching this, right up to the bloody closing scene. If there's a failing to this, it's that the character development is just too basic and stunted and has all been seen before. It's not bad, but it does keep the movie as a whole from reaching a higher plane.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:40 am 

Haha what the hell, Chuck Norris forced them to rate The Expendables 2 PG-13? The whole appeal of the movie is supposed to be watching endless people get blown to pieces.

"It was reported that the change was requested by Norris before he would take part in the film, as he did not appreciate the swearing present in the script."

So he doesn't appreciate cuss words but he has no problem with excessive violence? What a fucking twat.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:54 am 

Please let this move by him obliterate Chuck Norris memes and quotes for good.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Vlachos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:23 am 

Chuck Norris doesn't go down on guys for pleasure, he does it to make their ears cave in.
I took advantage of being in 8 feet of ocean water by taking an enormous dump in the water. I had goggles on so I watched it sink to the sand on the ocean floor. It was the most awe-inspiring thing I have ever seen.

Playing online like a true boller right here

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:38 am 

Only Invasion USA is real. I'm surprised that film hasn't been bandied about given how much the internet seems to love talking about Chuck Norris.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089348/

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:25 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Haha what the hell, Chuck Norris forced them to rate The Expendables 2 PG-13? The whole appeal of the movie is supposed to be watching endless people get blown to pieces.

"It was reported that the change was requested by Norris before he would take part in the film, as he did not appreciate the swearing present in the script."

So he doesn't appreciate cuss words but he has no problem with excessive violence? What a fucking twat.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:47 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The Grey - 4/5

A very cold, isolated film about Liam Neeson and some of his co-workers getting stranded out in the arctic wastelands after a plane crash and having to fend against wolves and all sorts of other perils. Each of them has his own inner trouble and one of the main themes is the desperation and longing one feels for comfort in hard, harsh environments - we all have things to cling to. Neeson gives one of his best performances in a while and the other guys all do pretty well themselves. The main strength of the film is the huge, enveloping atmosphere of cold and desolation. I felt downright hopeless several times when watching this, right up to the bloody closing scene. If there's a failing to this, it's that the character development is just too basic and stunted and has all been seen before. It's not bad, but it does keep the movie as a whole from reaching a higher plane.

It was my first time at the theater since at least over a year, my father and I went to see this instead of the awful SW episode 1. Yeah, Liam Neeson is very great in it, I feel it was an important movie for him, kind of biographical in some metaphoric ways (Neeson lost his wife in a ski accident in Québec :oh shit: ). His character has to deal with despair and separation from his wife. It's a tough and sad movie as it is a survival movie, not only against wolves and cold, but against his own troubles. It's a most watch if you like these kind of movies. Yes, it can be considered ''simple'' as Empy said, it's not a over the top action flick and doesn't have pretention to be one.
4,1/5 (only to be a bitch and to be different than Empyreal.)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:53 pm 

It's hard to watch 1989's Batman again when I got The Dark Knight on the shelf.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:16 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
It's hard to watch 1989's Batman again when I got The Dark Knight on the shelf.

It's very different, but I still think Batman Returns is the best of them. Yes, I'm a fan of Chris Nolan's vision of the bat, but I feel he removed all the fantasy from it. Opposed to Burton's movies. His two movies had the right amount of seriousness and fantasy opposed to the non flexible serious atmosphere of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. The joker always has been a twisted crazy and kind of funny character, no way to change that though. Can't wait for the final movie of the trilogy, but I prefer my Batman a bit more sillier (not like Clooney in Batman and Robin silly hahaha).

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:09 am 

The 1989 Batman and The Dark Knight are about on par for me. Amazing movies, both. I hated Batman Returns though...fucking loathed that one.

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:17 am 

Today I went to the movie rental store and got some movies.

Tonight I watched Bullitt with Steve McQueen. I really liked it for what it was, although I didn't quite understand the intricacies of the plot. I like when I can digest movies 100%. Anyway, it had a lot of class that I don't see in movies anymore. Although I think I was expecting a bit more of a proto-Dirty Harry Callahan type thing. I was waiting for things to show up, you know, the at-odds chief, stuff like that, didn't happen. I get how he was a bit of a cowboy cop, he did kind of go out on his own, and he did try and conceal a death from everyone, including his superiors. But how was the airport scene against protocol? The villain was trying to leave the country, he'd shot at the cop, then he went in the airport, shot a security guard, and then the cop shot and killed him. Thus meaning that the trial that was the whole reason for the movie, couldn't proceed. But how did he screw up? How exactly is that unjustified, if at all? Sounds to me like an imminent danger to ones self and others, in other words, self defense.

My dad liked the movie until the ending, which I think ruined it for him. It was kind of sudden. He said that it "made no sense."

The car chase scene proves to me that you don't need fancy computers and stuff to make excitement, just screaming engines and squealing tires. The sort of stuff Judas Priest used to write about.

I also watched That's What I Am. My dad picked it out. At first I was put off by the PG rating, thinking it would be some sort of kids movie, and questioning why he got it. But after about 10 or 15 minutes it picked up. It actually dealt with some more mature themes. It actually wasn't bad. On a related note, Ed Harris is an under-rated actor, by the way.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:19 am 

Both the Nolan batman movies are amongst my favourite movies. Dark Knight rises is my most anticipated movie right now. Please let it be the greatest thing ever.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:17 am 

Razakel wrote:

Terry Crews on the PG-13 rating:
"It's PG-13. Do you really think only men 40 and over saw the first one? The kids bought tickets to "Eat Pray Love" and walked right into "The Expendables". In fact, they were YOUR kids."
Exactly, maybe he should be telling THAT to Chuck, not the people bitching about it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323 ... 818  Next