Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:23 am 

Pagan Fucking Altar. For consistency they shit on every other fucking band in existence, including Bolt Thrower, who would probably be my second choice.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:34 am 

I'm the first one to mention Insomnium? What the hell.

There's also

Suffocation
Incantation
Immolation
Pagan Altar
Bolt Thrower
Septicflesh
Death
Dismember (Hate Campaign is pretty good imo)
Symphony X
Slough Feg
God Dethroned
Vader
Manilla Road
Novembers Doom
Nunslaughter
Rotting Christ
The Chasm
Thy Catafalque
Type O Negative
Enslaved
Esoteric

Last edited by reven on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:37 am 

I'd say Neurosis for me. Every album has a different sound but I love all of them.
Mastodon kind of. I love all their albums. The Hunter was good, but not as amazing as their past releases.
I should mention Death also.

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:22 am 

IX Leviathan wrote:
Greek outfits, Rotting Christ and Septicflesh are two more bands with very strong consistent discographies. With both persevering throughout the years and style changes, they remain as a pinnacle for symphonic metal. I still find it amazing that they're pumping out phenomenal albums to this date and have yet to become boring and repetitive.

I was thinking this same thing right before i went to bed last night. Definitely on the same page as you. Rotting Christ have managed to never disappoint me on any of their albums. My favorites are Triarchy, Khronos and Genesis. I have to go back and revisit Dead Poem and a couple others. I was even impressed with their latest AEALO. Pretty amazing to see how this band has evolved over the years.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

Nithoggr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:57 am 

I'll second Nile, Death, and Blind Guardian. I'll also add Watain and Dissection. I don't give a fuck, I loved Reinkhaos.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:58 am 

reven wrote:
Dismember (Hate Campaign is pretty good imo)
Type O Negative

Definitely these two for me. The two Carnivore albums are also of a very high quality, so I guess you could extend Type O to Steele's discography.

I'd also say Avantasia. I would mention Edguy too but I'm taking the original Savage Poetry into account here.

DraakUla
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:05 am 

Jungle Rot, along with Immolation and Vader.
Amon Amarth, 8 albums and no dissapointments.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:18 am 

I think there is a big difference between bands with flawless discographies and bands who have not released shitty albums. For instance, Opeth for me have never released a bad album. I can listen to all of their albums and thoroughly enjoy each one. But I wouldn't call their discography flawless, even though I dig each one. Nope, Deliverance is certainly a step below the rest as it eschews all of my favorite elements of Opeth. Still like it, it's not a shitty album, but it doesn't touch any of the other ones. Same with Type O. Their first album isn't really my thing, so I can't call their discography flawless in my eyes. A flawless discography means, to me, that each album is as brilliant as the last. And honestly, I'm having a hard time thinking of any bands that have that going for them - outside of bands with one, two or three releases (Ahab, Acid Bath, Thy Serpent, Ixion, etc.), who I don't really think should be counted.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:25 am 

Death and Pagan Altar have my vote for this.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:33 am 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
I think there is a big difference between bands with flawless discographies and bands who have not released shitty albums. For instance, Opeth for me have never released a bad album. I can listen to all of their albums and thoroughly enjoy each one. But I wouldn't call their discography flawless, even though I dig each one. Nope, Deliverance is certainly a step below the rest as it eschews all of my favorite elements of Opeth. Still like it, it's not a shitty album, but it doesn't touch any of the other ones. Same with Type O. Their first album isn't really my thing, so I can't call their discography flawless in my eyes. A flawless discography means, to me, that each album is as brilliant as the last. And honestly, I'm having a hard time thinking of any bands that have that going for them - outside of bands with one, two or three releases (Ahab, Acid Bath, Thy Serpent, Ixion, etc.), who I don't really think should be counted.

i'll second this sentiment (apart from not liking any opeth) and put forth anata as a band that has only released brilliant albums and demos before that - sure there's only 4 albums, but 6 if you count the demos and 7 if you also count the split with bethzaida

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:37 am 

Primordial is probably the best example I can think of. Imrama is the only exception to their flawless discography. And even Imrama is really good. It's just folk-ish black metal that was pretty typical of the time.

Also I would say Anaal Nathrakh. They have yet to release a dud. Agalloch, Summoning, Kroda and Peste Noire as well. Now I would also include Negura Bunget, but not the band claiming to be "Negura Bunget" currently.

JPH666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:40 am 

Bolt thrower
Immolation
Grand Belials key
Argoslent
Weltmacht
Crowbar

All have pretty flawless discographies

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:43 am 

I love everything from Death's, Alice in Chains', and Emperor's discographies, and I'd probably have to say Sodom, too, even though I don't quite own every album yet. I own everything from Autopsy's discography, but I'm much more partial to the first three albums and EP than I am to the latest LP (it's not bad, but it does get a bit boring).

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:49 am 

Even though they only released 4 albums in their short career Windir is about as close to flawless as you can get. Definitely one of the first black metal bands i really embraced. All of their albums are gems and can be played from start to finish with little filler.

Awesome to see the remaining members of Windir keeping the spirit alive in Vreid. Yet another band that could possibly be mentioned as having a somewhat flawless catalog.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

Glentxa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:53 am 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
I love every Death album. They changed styles here and there, but it was never a sign of weakness. It was building off of a strength, if anything.

This

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:56 am 

Electric Wizard for sure

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:10 pm 

Necrophagia, Devourment, Nile, Metallica, WASP, Sodom, Iron Maiden, Sikfuk, Mortician, Lordi, Beherit, Putrid Pile, Six Feet Under

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:16 pm 

Kalmah for sure. Every album is a masterpiece in its own way. From the unrelentless force of Swamplord, to the majestic The Black Waltz. Which, in my opinion, is still their best.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:32 pm 

reven wrote:

Mentioned them in the fourth post along with Kalmah :)

I'd have to second Esoteric as well, hard for the likes of a funeral doom band to keep it interesting after 20+ years, major props to them.

On the black metal side, Nokturnal Mortum (including their demos/EP's) minus fucking NeChrist which is pretty much a giant shitstain on their reputation, and lastly Drudkh. Yes Drudkh, with my favorite's by far being Microcosmos and Blood in our Wells. Despite how many people may disagree that they have a flawless discog, I am a fan of all their work, including their instrumental folk release that got a shitload of hate. I dunno, I guess there's something about their at times boring, rehashed work that never fails to impress me year after year :P.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:41 pm 

Hmm... I wouldn't say that Insomnium's discography is completely flawless. While their first, second, fourth, and fifth albums are flawless, their thirth album marked a slight bump in their songwriting. It's still a good album, but it misses the countless melodic hooks that the rest of their discography has.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:55 pm 

I agree with lots of bands that have already been mentioned and about Edguy, I agree and I would not really count the original Savage Poetry, it's just a demo, probably the young Tobias could not wait and released as an album anyway haha. A good demo nonetheless, that youthful energy is the charm of Edguy.

Draugr, the first was one of the very first black metal albums that I enjoyed from start to finish, melodic and epic stuff, and then the last, De Ferro Italico is better in everyway. A bit more varied, and more their thing rather than norse-styled black metal. It's not like they are reinventing the steel (hur hur) but I listen to Ver Sacrum or Suovetaurilia and they are beginning to create their sound, it's still norse-styled black metal with folky stuff, but... don't know really. Expect more from them in the future.

Sturmkaiser, practically the same band have two albums and an EP. Everything is good, the last one Veni Vidi Vici rules.

Human Fortress... the last powercore (ugh) shit it's not the same band anymore. Lord of Earth and Heaven's Heir and Defenders of the Crown are gold. It really fucking sucks the thing that it's going on with Jioti, the page here just say "Jioti Parcharidis left again in 2010 for health reasons." Some knows a bit more about that? one of my favourite singers for sure, and very under-recognized. Pity.
And Euroforce, but it's just one album haha.

Majesty. Yeah, the Manowar wannabes. Sue me. Including Dawnrider and Metalforce. Stormwarrior too, they keep releasing competent power/speed a la Kai Hansen.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:56 pm 

Emperor
Death
Timeghoul (idk if they count though)
Blut Aus Nord; while some hate a few of their albums I think they are all unique experiences and I love everything they've put out.
Dissection; I really enjoyed Reinkaos on top of their classics.

bassistfromhell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:02 pm 

Origin, Necrophagist, All of Vladimir Cochet's bands (Mirrorthrone, Weeping Birth, Unholy Matrimony)

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:02 pm 

IX Leviathan wrote:
reven wrote:

Mentioned them in the fourth post along with Kalmah :)

Oh lol I guess I didn't notice.

MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:22 pm 

I know they're young, but Dead Congregation hasn't even released a bad song.

Funebrarum's small discography is also flawless, not counting the random splits and demos.

Carcass changed their style so often that it's incredible that they didn't put out a bad release.

Gargoyle never disappoints.

Portal's level of quality has also been remarkably consistent, if you can even call their style consistent.

And I'll second Bolt Thrower and Incantation.

SleepingStar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:10 pm 

Not too much of an achievement for a band with few releases to have a 'flawless' discography, so I'm gonna have to go for Enslaved, Primordial and Summoning. Even going by the reviews on this site, the marks are high across the board and the few anomalies I happen to rate highly myself (Monumension and Imrama). Even more remarkable for Enslaved considering the progression their music has taken over their career, and still able to hit the spot whatever they try their hand at.

Honourable mention for Darkspace....just 3 albums but daaaamn they are amazing - 90%ers the lot of them

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:27 pm 

usernamepassword wrote:
Necrophagia, Devourment, Nile, Metallica, WASP, Sodom, Iron Maiden, Sikfuk, Mortician, Lordi, Beherit, Putrid Pile, Six Feet Under

Really? If you were to pile all of these bands discographies together, I'd be able to spot the piles of shit from miles away.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:39 pm 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
usernamepassword wrote:
WASP/quote]
Really? If you were to pile all of these bands discographies together, I'd be able to spot the piles of shit from miles away.

Oh c'mon. WASP is at least a band that has dud songs, not dud albums.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:44 pm 

I'm not too into WASP. Regardless, there are a lot of bad albums in the combined discography of all those bands.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:45 pm 

Definitely Esoteric. Anaal Nathrakh too,though In the constellation of the black widow was better than everything they've done,and possibly the most angry thing ever.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

zahgurim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:45 pm 

I'm not seeing nearly enough Finnish Death Metal love in this thread.
:scratch:

AltarsInGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:51 pm 

For me definitely Immolation, Incantation and Inquisition, the three I's! I also agree with Bolt Thrower.

Malexecration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:02 pm 

Unholy (Finland) - Enjoy every bit of their albums, just dynamic and intriging.
The Chasm - As previous stated, their style tends to change but it only gets better with every new album.
Dark Angel - Heavy heavy heavy!!!!!!!!
Death - Never gets old!
Immolation, Vader, Testament, Suffocation - Classics!!!
Kaamos - Small discrographie, but everything well executed.
Sadistic Intent - If it counts
Pentacle - Flawless

Unblessed Domain
https://www.facebook.com/UnblessedDomain/

Omision
https://www.facebook.com/omision/

ErectileProjectile
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:18 pm 

Zyklon
And who the hell cares about Virgin Steele? That band doesn't matter.

You sir, have made a very powerful enemy this day.

CrushedRevelation wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Better question is why is there a rooster on the cd?

Because they like cocks?

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:21 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
no Vomitory??? They haven't had one shitty album yet.

I was always perplexed by their lack of lead work. Their albums are good, but little to no solos in death metal is a big obstacle for me to overcome.

My Ebay Store

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:23 pm 

bronxeel wrote:
Electric Wizard for sure

Fuck! How could I forget!? Let's hope this newest album will not be a letdown!

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:25 pm 

zahgurim wrote:
I'm not seeing nearly enough Finnish Death Metal love in this thread.
:scratch:

Deathchain. Not exactly death, but whatever.
Deathchain rules, in fact, Deathrash Assault got me into extreme metal, I have a soft spot for them.

Thrasher4life
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:02 pm 

I'm gunna catch some flak for this but oh well.... Motorhead. There I said it. I know they've got some albums that are worse than others and some of the tracks are a bit off but damm it thats the best fucking band in the world right there. Even their worse songs or albums are miles ahead of anything else I can think of. Might just be my opinion but I can listen to anything they've ever put out and be blown away.

VHSDVD123
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:18 pm 

BLIND GUARDIAN all the way kids

Asha_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:26 pm 

I don't dislike any of Kamelot's albums, though I think Dominion may not be quite as good as the others ("We Are Not Separate" is still lovely, though, and it's not the only good song on the album).

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next