Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tkdcommando
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:45 am 

As an avid beer drinker, I like to treat myself to a nice cold one that was made with quality and care. I figured I would apply the same methods and goals towards selecting a nice rum. I thinks its really invigorating trying new things and I just wanted to see if any of my fellow Tavern crawlers had any opinions/taste preferences/experiences as it relates to rums and the like.

I guess to start off, I only had recently taken an interest in rums. I was drinking some homebrew with my grandpa and upon finishing our last bottle I figured why not see what grandpa had in his old liquor cabinet. I found an old bottle of Bacardi Oro and poured about 2 shots worth into a glass, mixed it with coke and sipped. Not bad, but it could have been better. Since then, I've tried a few others in the Bacardi family, a mix or two of Captain Morgan, and some others.

Recently, as in 2 days ago, I acquired the Kraken Black Spiced Rum....my God :D....notes of vanilla and cloves, with the rum flavor kind of floating nicely on the back of the whole taste experience with a fair amount of toastiness from the oak. I was impressed. Its great with shots, with sodas (I've got to try ginger beer next :D), or my favorite with just a bit of ice. At $20 a bottle, its not bad stuff.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:50 am 

My experience with rum...hm

the first drink i ever bought was captain morgan tattoo rum. i pre-threw up after smelling it before even getting it down. ended my night quick right there.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:39 am 

Why do you buy such crappy rums that you must blend them with Coke? Ewww...

tkdcommando
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:00 am 

Napero wrote:
Why do you buy such crappy rums that you must blend them with Coke? Ewww...

Well to be honest, at the time I didn't really know anything about rum tasting or what makes a quality rum. It would be tantamount to me drinking a mass produced macrobrew to start with as a beer drinker and then slowly move into craft beer that's usually made to higher standards of quality and taste. My experience tasting it was so little that I figured any introduction to a kind of drink was better than none.

And in the defense of mixing rum with an additive (coke, ginger ale, ginger beer, etc.), I think it says a lot about an alcoholic beverage (gin, whiskey, rum, whatever) if it is good by itself as a sipping beverage or mixed with another component to form a new drink experience altogether. One could say that its versatility of use gives it a certain appeal. The Kraken, as I mentioned before, was great with a coke and just as good by itself in a scotch glass with an ice cube. It just depends on the mood. I had both in one sitting. Pretty good either way :beer:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:05 am 

Had occasion to try a glass of The Kraken again recently and it kinda sucks, honestly. It's easy drinking, for sure, as it tastes essentially like candy syrup with alcohol added, but it's got an incredibly dull profile, no complexity or richness at all. If you're looking for a gateway rum I guess it's decent for that, but there are way better rums out there, and I haven't even sampled that many. Topping my list is El Dorado 12 year demerara, one of the most delicious and richest liquors I've ever tasted. It's like fine bourbon, only mellower, rounder, and sweeter. Just below that is Diplomatico from Venezuela, as well as El Dorado 15 year. Need to expand the list, obviously, but these are excellent choices for sure.

EDIT: Check out www.theministryofrum.com and explore!

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:37 pm 

Ha, Kraken rum. I had some of that on New Year's and ended up keeling over and passing out on some chick's kitchen floor... after, of course, vomiting over the balcony railing. The taste was nice and sweet but I'm sure it wouldn't cater to any genuine rum enthusiasts.

But... it comes in a cool bottle.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:44 pm 

Rum is gross. Good rum is gross. ALL RUM IS THE DEVIL'S WORK.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:52 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

I think someone's liver was built to digest milk only. Milk from tits.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:17 pm 

I like Paramount 151, Sailor Jerry's, and Appletons. I like it straight or in a mixed drink.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:28 pm 

Napero wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

lol

Rum is like ... juice to me. Yeah, juice? Juice that goes with anything. ANYTHING.

I love it. Vodka's got a little more spice in some mixes, but rum... makes anything good.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:00 pm 

Napero wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

Damn it Nappy, you said you'd never mention those videos.

See, I'm the exact opposite. Maybe it's because I fucking loathe sweet alcohol, but the core ingredients of rum and the taste and the palate are all unappealing to me. I'll take my bourbons over most alcohol....but I'd take almost anything else but rum.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:53 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

Why else do you think it's a pirate's beverage of choice?

Hold on though, you're really into bourbon but loathe rum? I know they're not exactly twins, but there's a lot more similarity there than between, say, rum and vodka. There are some spicy, smoky rums that I'm sure could bridge the gap for you.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:05 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:

Tequila was not available?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:29 am 

I don't doubt I could be convinced of it....I s'pose I'll have to look around for some truly good spicy rums. All the rums I've had are always so sweet, and I haven't just had shitty ones.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:35 pm 

I split a bottle of Bacardi 151 with a friend the other night. Don't remember what it tasted like, but I was just drinking to get drunk :P Did the trick well enough.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:34 pm 

tkdcommando wrote:
As an avid beer drinker, I like to treat myself to a nice cold one that was made with quality and care. I figured I would apply the same methods and goals towards selecting a nice rum. I thinks its really invigorating trying new things and I just wanted to see if any of my fellow Tavern crawlers had any opinions/taste preferences/experiences as it relates to rums and the like.
I guess to start off, I only had recently taken an interest in rums. I was drinking some homebrew with my grandpa and upon finishing our last bottle I figured why not see what grandpa had in his old liquor cabinet. I found an old bottle of Bacardi Oro and poured about 2 shots worth into a glass, mixed it with coke and sipped. Not bad, but it could have been better. Since then, I've tried a few others in the Bacardi family, a mix or two of Captain Morgan, and some others.
Recently, as in 2 days ago, I acquired the Kraken Black Spiced Rum....my God :D....notes of vanilla and cloves, with the rum flavor kind of floating nicely on the back of the whole taste experience with a fair amount of toastiness from the oak. I was impressed. Its great with shots, with sodas (I've got to try ginger beer next :D), or my favorite with just a bit of ice. At $20 a bottle, its not bad stuff.

Cacique, Brugal, Pampero, Matusalen, Santa Teresa,... with coke and some lime juice if possible.

tkdcommando
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:38 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
tkdcommando wrote:

Cacique, Brugal, Pampero, Matusalen, Santa Teresa,... with coke and some lime juice if possible.

I'll have to check a few of these out when I have the extra cash laying around. Any preference of one over the other?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:09 pm 

tkdcommando wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:

I'll have to check a few of these out when I have the extra cash laying around. Any preference of one over the other?

I use to drink Brugal cause it's less sweet than Cacique (maybe, too much sugar) and those two are easy to get around here.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:28 pm 

Sipping some Diplomatico Añejo right now. It's good enough, but nothing close to the Reserva Exclusiva. Should've gone with something more high-budget, in hindsight. Currently interested in grabbing some bottles of Depáz agricole, Pampero Aniversario, Santa Teresa 1796, and Chairman's Reserve.

Pantheisticon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:58 pm 

I had some rum straight from the Bahamas a few weeks ago. It was ok, I prefer vodka. Although I'm not really an avid drinker. I prefer smoke.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:09 pm 

I've never tried any fancy or non-mainstream brands, but rum is usually very drinkable and it tastes decent with anything. And I mean anything. We once had nothing to mix it with, except for milk, and to our surprise it was quite tasty. I usually just buy Slovak cheap rum (I study in Slovakia) for like 3-4 euros for half a liter to get drunk, goes down quite easily straight from the bottle as well. I can't stand Tequila though, just the smell makes me feel sick.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:01 pm 

I'll confess to not knowing much about rum and not drinking it much either, but I concur that Kraken was like boozy candy syrup. I like sweet stuff too, Kraken was just a bit much.

Oh and Bacardi, Captain Morgan, and Admiral Nelson are all shit.

Carry on.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:54 pm 

My most recent experience with rum? Drinking half a bottle of Captain Morgan last night while playing StarCraft 2, going to bed too late, then waking up today feeling nauseated. Threw up. Ate a foot-long steak-and-cheese sandwich from Subway. Feel better now.

I don't usually drink rum, but I think liquor in general is not sitting well with me these days. Better stick with beer, I guess.

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:08 pm 

tkdcommando wrote:
And in the defense of mixing rum with an additive (coke, ginger ale, ginger beer, etc.)

Off topic I know, but there is a difference between ginger ale and ginger beer? I've been wondering for years, but somehow I always had the feeling they were the same thing, just different brands. (I've never tried ginger beer, wouldn't even know where to get it around here.)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:08 am 

My favorite by far is Sailor Jerry's You can drink it plainly on the rocks and it's a nice sweet taste. Complements Coke Zero very nicely. Is 96% proof and is like 13 bucks a bottle and no hangover or ill after effects from downing the entire bottle in a night.

at least not to me.

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:07 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
My favorite by far is Sailor Jerry's You can drink it plainly on the rocks and it's a nice sweet taste. Complements Coke Zero very nicely.

No offense man, but alcohol with Coke Zero sounds absolutely disgusting to me.

Vlachos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:28 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

Hold on though, you're really into bourbon but loathe rum? I know they're not exactly twins, but there's a lot more similarity there than between, say, rum and vodka. There are some spicy, smoky rums that I'm sure could bridge the gap for you.

I'm with him. As a fan of bourbon, I haven't come across a rum that I can tolerate (Well, that I can remember). Vodka's surely further away from rum than bourbon is, but I'd choose it over rum every time. But I'm not against sweet alcohols because I'm not in the least bit turned off by something like Jagermeister.

Alcohol choice is inconsistent in most people I've come across. It's a weird concept that one can love certain beers while hating others, yet could drink ouzo and vodka as if they were water but couldn't stomach a shot of sambucca. I still can't believe that some people go to the extent of claiming that shiraz X is terrific while shiraz Y is revolting.
I took advantage of being in 8 feet of ocean water by taking an enormous dump in the water. I had goggles on so I watched it sink to the sand on the ocean floor. It was the most awe-inspiring thing I have ever seen.

Playing online like a true boller right here

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:40 pm 

You know this could all be going on in my wine and spirits thread.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:16 pm 

John, you're talking like a monopolist.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:44 pm 

Haven't tried much rum myself, save for some Captain Morgan in a mixed drink way back when I first turned 21 (yeah... I'm one of the few who waited until they were 21 to drink :p)

I also had a shot of Bacardi 151. Damn, the stuff was like gasoline. Definitely saying something when I took a shot of Jack Daniel's as the chaser.

When I first tried scotch it was the cheap blended varieties - Dewar's and Johnny Walker. I prefer single malts now. I wonder if there are similar things with rum, where you got the mainstream widely available stuff, but the really good stuff is hand-crafted and aged several years. What would you recommend as a good aged rum?

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:03 pm 

El Dorado 12 Year that is all

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:01 am 

splyu wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
My favorite by far is Sailor Jerry's You can drink it plainly on the rocks and it's a nice sweet taste. Complements Coke Zero very nicely.

none taken. I've been drinking coke zero for so long I don't really like regular coke anymore.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:22 pm 

So how much commercial rum is actually aged in barrels? I was under the impression that most modern rum is basically produced like vodka, just distilled and then sent out the door.

Dudeeemadudbomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:01 pm 

I generally prefer whiskey or tequila over rum now, but rum is still half decent. I've only tried Appleton Estate, White Captain Morgan's, and Bacardi 151. The 151 is the best of the bunch that I've tried. I have done shots of that stuff with no chase and no consequences except getting drunk. I don't know if it's as good as Alberta Premium though.

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:16 pm 

mcmufffins wrote:
I split a bottle of Bacardi 151 with a friend the other night. Don't remember what it tasted like, but I was just drinking to get drunk :P Did the trick well enough.

Fuck that shit made me black out last saturday.

ChurningtheMaelstrom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:37 am 

Lemmy drinks rum and coke...enough said.

NikeOfSamothrace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:20 am 

I don't drink but I was coerced by my friend to drink some rum after we took part helping a rum tasting event. Funny story, I downed a small cup (Mind you, I was there for more than 10 hours, hadn't eaten anything all day and I happen to be 5'3 and 110 lbs.)

I ended up freaking out on everyone. Worst night ever lol

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:25 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
My favorite by far is Sailor Jerry's You can drink it plainly on the rocks and it's a nice sweet taste. Complements Coke Zero very nicely. Is 96% proof and is like 13 bucks a bottle and no hangover or ill after effects from downing the entire bottle in a night.

at least not to me.

A man after my own heart :beer:

That's generally the only rum I'll drink, since rum isn't my drink of choice. Mixed with Coke Zero, or ideally Cherry Coke Zero, it's excellent. Good enough to drink straight too.

Garyuu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:05 pm 

I've had kraken like just about anybody who has ever had rum. I thought it was good, but what do I know about rum? I don't drink too much. I'll have an occasional beer, or hard cider because I like the apple taste. I might have some Crown Royal if I feel like it.

splyu wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

It is. I forgot what brand it was, but there was this beer and cola thing at the store here. Absolutely disgusting.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:35 pm 

Rum and coke is a very common drink, I'm surprised there's so much animosity towards it. A shot of liquor in a cup of soda is really common in nearly any combination.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next