Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:33 pm 

Doesn't have to be pure Post-Rock, if it's mixed with sludge or black metal that would be fine as long as it has a strong Post-Rock sound (Agalloch for example). I'd love to hear some folky accordion or flute bring a pirate sound to the mix, something that makes you feel like you're standing on the front of a galleon, watching as the approaching shore grows out of the mist whilst drops of rain fall like shards of ice on your face.

It can be occasionally happy as long as it's in context, but not too often (this is Post-Rock, melancholy should be part of the genre's definition). I'd also like to avoid repetitiveness, as this is the reason I write off half the atmospheric music I find (not to say the band can't take it's time, again, Agalloch is a perfect example of what I'm looking for). I'd also like for there to be a powerful climax in almost every song, as this is why I listen to atmospheric music, to hear a slow moving beast of emptiness and reverb slowly evolve into a pinnacle of melodic delight. On the other hand, having the song slowly fade away in a very conclusive, satisfying manner is great too (Ghosts of Midwinter Fires, by guess who? Agalloch) Oh, and nothing with too many electronics, I want it to be clearly instrumentally driven.

The kind of Post-Rock atmosphere I'd like to hear is perfectly captured on Agalloch's The Mantle, but rec's need not incorporate metal. The closest I've come to the right pirate sound would be Finsterforst or Alestorm, but the former doesn't remind me enough of the sea and the latter is just way too happy.

I have been wanting this kind of thing for awhile. If you find the right band for me, you will gain +10 internet points

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:58 pm 

I'd like to have a pet monkey (he could shuffle my cards when I'm playing games, do the dishes, taste my food,...) but unfortunately there's things that doesn't exist.

You should try Kauan though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ5dvpgBVt8

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:06 am 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
I'd also like for there to be a powerful climax in almost every song, as this is why I listen to atmospheric music, to hear a slow moving beast of emptiness and reverb slowly evolve into a pinnacle of melodic delight

This sentence reminded me to Codes in the Clouds, maybe not what you're looking for, but this is one of my fav post-rock bands, give it a try :-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQwRGToIfzk

Edit: Kauan was amazing, thanks for bringing that up Metantoine :thumbsup:

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:01 am 

gloomy AND pirate?

can't say I've ever heard anything that made me think, 'yo-ho, yo-ho, a pirate's suicide for me'

edit:
try Menosgada and Noctalis

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:00 pm 

Well I would suggest Falls of Rauros. They are a lot like Agalloch in terms of theme, atmosphere and song structure. Their songs build often to an epic climax. A perfect example of this can be found in their song "To Witness Existence As A Subservient Entity." It's got the gloomy atmosphere, and hell, the last few minutes have a chorus sung by a group of people that sounds very yo-ho-ho PIRATEY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK8wB8aZ6BY

Perhaps Darkestrah's one song album Epos as well?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evoG7eKH ... re=related

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:08 pm 

I'm thinking more on what I'd like as far as the folkiness goes, and I guess it doesn't need to be pirate per se, but what I would like is accordion with a seafaring vibe. Good rec's all around though, I need more Post-Rock anyway (I'm just getting into the genre)

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:17 pm 

maybe Windrider - To New Lands [2010]?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuSJLJIZXco

bearkin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:01 pm 

Probably not at all what you're looking for but there's a Post Rock band called In Each Hand a Cutlass. They're not dark or black at all. And while they don't sound piratey, their name is and their album artwork is of a pirate ship.

That's the best I can do.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:59 pm 

Some of you seem to think I'm asking for the Blacker side of Agalloch, when I mean to say I want the Post-Rock side of Agalloch though some Black doesn't hurt. I've refrained from naming actual Post-Rock groups because I've just discovered most of them and don't really know which bands are gonna stick, but I have been listening to a lot of Rosetta and Ocoai. I would think there would be more of this kind of thing.....maybe I'll have to fill this hole in the musical world later in life.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:40 pm 

well, there's The Pirate Ship Quintet, and they're pretty good.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:05 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
Some of you seem to think I'm asking for the Blacker side of Agalloch, when I mean to say I want the Post-Rock side of Agalloch though some Black doesn't hurt. I've refrained from naming actual Post-Rock groups because I've just discovered most of them and don't really know which bands are gonna stick, but I have been listening to a lot of Rosetta and Ocoai. I would think there would be more of this kind of thing.....maybe I'll have to fill this hole in the musical world later in life.

If you liked Codes in the Clouds, you can check Explotions in the Sky, Lights out Asia and Yndi Halda, some post-rock bands I love.

Edit: If you didn't like them, then don't bother :-P

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Reply to topic