Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:34 pm 

I'm wondering if any of the home studio recorders out there can post pics of their home studio setup? This is really just a thread to fap to for gearwhores and such. I'll post mine when I get home from work, though it's very unimpressive.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:55 pm 

I've actually been thinking about doing this for awhile... well actually just going to my shed and taking pictures of my gear for insurance purposes and perhaps get a floater out on them depending how much I can get one for and how much for. but Let's see if I can remember about taking my camera with it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:02 am 

Well maybe you and I are the only ones interested. I did take photos. I'll probably upload them to photobucket and post them here in the morning.

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:41 am 

I'm interested. I used to buy a magazine called "Home Recording" and I always enjoyed the regular segment they'd run where you get a little photo tour of someone's home studio.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:12 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Well maybe you and I are the only ones interested.

I'd be interested in seeing some pics :) Not much I can show myself, unfortunately, the 'home studio' we use for all our bands/projects isn't situated near my house.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:35 am 

Okay sounds good. I'll post my stuff up shortly. just arranging it all to post.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:57 pm 

Okay I'm doing a sorta virtual tour. I know the pics are going to be large and plenty so i'm throwing it in the spoiler box in order not to destroy the entire thread.

So this is the Tomb:

Spoiler: show
Walking up to the horrid location

Nondescript doorway

And in we go

I switched to color after the initial lead up, standing inside the overall view

another shot in the dark cause...

this is my own source of light outside what leaks in from the very top of the walls

okay put it on twilight setting and took pics, another overview from left....

...to center...

...to right

So these are some of the guitars I use to record with, different tunings/tones for different projects

A couple of the basses I use, same thing different tunings/tones for different projects

okay going more into what I use to record with here are probably the most used heads

The cabinet I use for all my recording

My bass rig I use for recording

And the drumkit, yea I don't believe in polishing bullshit or cleaning off dust, it's a waste. I rather spend my time playing

The overhead view, the toms have a bit of life left, I plan on replacing the heads soon

And the view from my drum seat, the brains of the entire place

And that's my main recording set up, but here are some additional photos of the rest of the gear

couple more ampegs on a 4x12 fender bassman.

another ampeg and a randal rg 300

Kustom 2x15 sitting on a Peavy Black Widow 2x10/2x18 the kustom i use for guitar and the peavy obviously for bass

another shoot of the peavy with additional bass and guitar used for recording

another ampeg sitting on a shitty ass crate, mainly used for practing with someone while I drum, assorted pedals and gear

bass and guitar in need of repair..that I haven't gotten around to

assorted junk, like pedals, more guitars blah blah

the old drum kit Iused to play, what you can't see that the other 4 rack toms are sitting in each other in the kicks

Hope you enjoyed the tour about, feel free to ask any questions about anything aside from the actual location. :P

bearkin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 pm 

Yeah, uh, where do you keep the keys to your shed?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:26 pm 

on me at all times ;)

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:03 pm 

Damn Shaolin. That's incredible. I'm not even sure I want to post my lousy pictures anymore - this completely shames just about every set-up I've seen, short of perhaps Peter Gabriel's home studio lol. Nice gear you've got in there man. I'm drooling over that Sunn head. Wanted to get me one of those. Looks cramped in there with all that gear!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:15 pm 

it's not so bad with just me.. hell it's not so bad with a full band cause I'm usually the drummer so I have an alotted space! I appreciate the compliments please post pictures! I wanted to see everyone's set up!

it's a 10x20ft space.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:33 pm 

Sorry SLK, but looking through your pictures irritated me to no end. I just really dislike disorganized/cluttered spaces. Other than that, you look really equipped.

I'll be posting my pictures later.

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:31 pm 

What's with all the pieces of tubing/pipes stuck in the ceiling tiles. Is that part of your anger management system or something? :lol:

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:37 pm 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
Sorry SLK, but looking through your pictures irritated me to no end. I just really dislike disorganized/cluttered spaces.

Hahaha. You do realize that's just your perception of being disorganized right? Many creative people thrive in what appears to an outsider to be chaos. It obviously works for him.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:47 pm 

Holy shit, you really do have one of every amp ever. How many of them can you run at once before you run into problems with not having enough power?

korgull wrote:
What's with all the pieces of tubing/pipes stuck in the ceiling tiles. Is that part of your anger management system or something? :lol:

Looks like drumsticks stuck into the suspended ceiling, plus two microphones hanging down for recording drums.

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:51 pm 

Ah, drumsticks, yes, I can see it now. That makes sense. I thought it was lengths of PVC tubing or something that was just lying around.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:56 pm 

hahaah yes it's drumsticks. there used to be 3 times the amount but I stopped throwing them up in the ceiling about 5 years ago and slowly they have been falling out ever since. I've been in this shed for almost a decade.

and yea Det_Morkettall, it's not in anyway disorganized I can tell you exactly where everything is and what everything is and why it is in the particular space. cluttered... yea I can totally see that but it's all placed for the most effient setup for myself.

and yes! Zodijackyl! that's how I set up my overheads for my drumkit. never have to worry about them ever being in the wrong spot or off from one recording to the next even after breaking down my kit, they are placed exactly so they pick up everything perfectly. and as far how many I can run.... well I've had 5 rigs going at once with no problem at all. which is 4 half stacks and one of the bass rigs.. oh and the PA before one speaker went to shit and the head shut down. and I'm trying to get back the Sovtek Mig H100 that I used to have that I traded to the old guitarist I played with for the PA speakers before he moved to florida... he damn sold it another idiot I know who doesn't even play guitar. he has an old sunn rig and this sovtek and they are just rotting at his parents house.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:23 pm 

Nice setup there, SLK! Looks like you've just got a room in a storage unit?? Had any complaints when you're being loud as hell haha?
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:51 pm 

Yea it's a storage unit in a climate controlled building. I'm currently raising funds for the building I plan on building in my backyard.

never had a single complaint amazingly. I think it's cause I'm centrally located in the building so i'm surrounded by even more units that help cancel out the noise.

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:35 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Okay I'm doing a sorta virtual tour. I know the pics are going to be large and plenty so i'm throwing it in the spoiler box in order not to destroy the entire thread.

So this is the Tomb:

Nondescript doorway

And in we go

this is my own source of light outside what leaks in from the very top of the walls

...to center...

...to right

So these are some of the guitars I use to record with, different tunings/tones for different projects

A couple of the basses I use, same thing different tunings/tones for different projects

okay going more into what I use to record with here are probably the most used heads

And the drumkit, yea I don't believe in polishing bullshit or cleaning off dust, it's a waste. I rather spend my time playing

The overhead view, the toms have a bit of life left, I plan on replacing the heads soon

And that's my main recording set up, but here are some additional photos of the rest of the gear

Kustom 2x15 sitting on a Peavy Black Widow 2x10/2x18 the kustom i use for guitar and the peavy obviously for bass

another ampeg sitting on a shitty ass crate, mainly used for practing with someone while I drum, assorted pedals and gear

the old drum kit Iused to play, what you can't see that the other 4 rack toms are sitting in each other in the kicks

Hope you enjoyed the tour about, feel free to ask any questions about anything aside from the actual location. :P

You definitely have a mad scientist's study there. It looks very cosy.

SmithMetal84
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:38 pm 

ArtificialStupidity wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

So this is the Tomb:

Nondescript doorway

And in we go

...to center...

...to right

You definitely have a mad scientist's study there. It looks very cosy.

I thought the same as well haha. Blue light's awesome. @SLK, What do you play?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:51 pm 

it's actually a green light. like from a traffic light. The camera doesn't really pick up the overall green haze it casts.

and what do you mean what do I play? as in instrument or style of music?

instrumentwise.. drums, guitar, bass... everything you see in that shed I personally own. I don't share the space with anyone.

style of music... most i stay in the realm of metal or harsh music so to speak.... tons of death metal of all styles... brutal, osdm, weird bizzar off kilter stuff, grindcore older style and newer noiser, power violence, hardcore, black metal, doom, just what i feel like or i'm asked to participate in.

blackswordstudio
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:33 am 

here is my studio.

http://blackswordstudio.blogspot.se/

https://www.facebook.com/Blackswordstudio

Reply to topic