Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:15 pm 

Marras:
Wow this is impressive to come out of that set up you linked, Good lord. i like how the bass is a solid rumble. the guitars are exactly the proper disgust for for this style. the vocals are even sitting where they need to and well done. love the ending fadout weirdness. Overall a great piece. I'm assuming you used the drum tracks supplied. they blend very well.

Grimmig:
Loving the guitar on here as well, though it doesn't mix as well to the drums as marras's. But hell ain't like there was a ton of time for mix and all that. The vocals are excellent, and not too loud as well. has a droning carrying effect to the riffs which I like as well.

Apteronotus:
I'm not digging the guitars as much. the reverb isn't really frost bitten it's cavernlike maybe more fitting for some really primative death metal with a nastier distortion and not as much wash. I like how the bass kinda walks a bit to itself in the 2nd part. the mid section I think would've been better actually trilled cause it's almost kinda lazy sounding.. hell it's all like a lazy sunday gaze after a large lunch. bit of the trilled notes around 2min are kinda sloppy but the following creepy riffage was neat. I like the totally fucked solo hell I wish it went on further.

mcmufffins:
Hell how it's mixed sorta, it reminds me of revenge, not so much in the actual riffing. Not the biggest fan of the distortion on the guitar. i'm not really liking the single note tremlo. kinda derpy sounding to me.

CorpseFister:
Like the wall of synths going on. i keep thinking it's going to go into something Depeche Mode sounding. I like how the vocals are far in the background. Hell it's almost like the killers on downers. So for that I overall liked the entire thing. it all mushes very well to me.

Awblaster:
Frostbitten as hell, absolutely cutting and then to some interesting midpaced I didn't expect. The vocals are great. proper placement in the mix and everything, drums could be a tad louder. But a tad. I'm glad I can hear some bass plucking about underneath little bit of interplay during the mid parts is very nice. I like the lead part and section after the little accoustic diddly. and the crawling around 3 min mark riffing reminds me of candlemass. So that's awesome.

kingnuuuur
I'm not the biggest fan of the distortion you used on the guitars, I know they are direct in but it's just fuzzy to be fuzzy and robs it of some energy. Riffing and the interplay of the guitars is excellent. And really loving it when it picks up sped and there are multiple tracks all over just swarming me with some great melodies. Love it. shame you didn't get any vocals done.
Zodijackyl
Holy fuck what happened to the drums? ha anyway the guitar sounds pretty nice aside from the obvious mistakes. Might make an interesting song once it's all properly done up.

Ilwhyan, totally agree with all you said.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:16 pm 

hell at the end of my song you can hear that i'm obviously straining to take a shit.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:45 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
hell at the end of my song you can hear that i'm obviously straining to take a shit.

I sound like dying Elvis too without warmup. It's always disheartening to start doing harsh vocals, because at first I sound comically bad.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:41 am 

I'll write my mini-review after giving all the songs another listen. Some good stuff considering the spontaneity and briefness of this mini-challenge.

Meanwhile, I've uploaded a compilation of the songs. Download it HERE.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:31 am 

First, I'd like to thank everyone for participating. I enjoyed all of them, and I'm trying to avoid commenting on the mixing and

Apteronotus - You nailed the dirty black metal guitar playing with the phrasing of the slides. I like how you brought in the melody at the end too, that's a great transition to the ending. Didn't enjoy the solo too much, it was a bit inaudible, but I get what you were going for with it.

Awblaster - I like the dynamics of the intro and outro, but there's a lack of dynamics between there. I like how you led the song with the vocal rhythms, and the guitar playing is well paired to the vocals. There's one riff that's repeated with the vocals a few times that feels tiring, I'm not quite sure how to describe it. I like what you did overall and it has a well-produced black metal feel, though something about the vocals and guitars is a bit rough on my ears (might be my headphones).

CorpseFister - Holy shit the vocals. The vocals are amazing. I like the distant feel of them. The synths are a bit overwhelming at times, but the sound is really cool, like a combination of early 2000s keyboard metal mixed with the distant screams and production of black metal.

Grimmig - Punkish blackish metal, this is cool. The vocals remind me of Burzum. The first riff reminds me of "Ea, Lord Of The Depths", while overall the instrumentation reminds me of Darkthrone. I think you could make it even stronger by working on guitar/vocal interaction and not timing them together 100% of the time.

kingnuuuur - You certainly have the Ulver sound down! I can't tell without referencing Nattens Madrigal if you stole their song or wrote your own. It gets a bit repetitive, but the harmonized melody at the end is great.

Marras - Very sharp, abrasive sound. The vocals are really percussive. With some mixing and smoothing out, this could be a really strong song.

mcmuffins - I like the second guitar part a lot, it's a good transition from the first one. The vocals are pretty harsh and they're really loud, didn't like them too much :P

SLK - Good blackish grind. I'd like to hear it when you redo it. You already covered the things I'd comment on, mainly the lack of mixing and the vocals being a bit strained, so there's not a lot I can add.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:40 am 

I'll let you know when it's completed and up!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2