Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:15 pm 

I know they aren't the most favorite band around here going by the search engine results. I've always been a fan but thought their first ep was their best release.
This sounds more like their first ep in the energy level and they turned down a lot on the tech wanking sweep picks. only really appeared in the very begining of the song.

http://youtu.be/Vdwxk7LAKzc

“Incongruous” Track Listing:
1. Symptoms
2. Hunted
3. Left Hand
4. Hopes
5. It
6. Light
7. Incongruous
8. Pedestal
9. Grief
10. Damages
11. Unheard

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:34 pm 

That coveart is laughably bad what is that some kind of melting gum Baphomet or something, it looks terrible just like the song was due to the horribly computerized vocals and sweeps that sound like the lasers from Star wars. Horrible band

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:36 pm 

I thought the cover art was pretty interesting.

and it seems that you really didn't listen past 22 seconds cause that's the last the sweeps come in and right as the vocals kick in. The vocals have a very faint sound of distortion if any really.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:46 pm 

Veracs wrote:
That coveart is laughably bad what is that some kind of melting gum Baphomet or something, it looks terrible just like the song was due to the horribly computerized vocals and sweeps that sound like the lasers from Star wars. Horrible band

Yeah, BtM is like a parody of bad tech-death tendencies.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:51 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I thought the cover art was pretty interesting.

and it seems that you really didn't listen past 22 seconds cause that's the last the sweeps come in and right as the vocals kick in. The vocals have a very faint sound of distortion if any really.

The vocals on the prior album had a fair amount of fuzz on them, as opposed to this where Elliot's vocals sound less harsh and a bit more dependent on the production to add a gruff quality to them. As for the riffs, the EP was their best moment which was a fair combination of hardcore and death metal, this sounds like some of the throwaway tracks from the last album minus the sweeps just basically throwaway riffs and those bad vocals.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:54 pm 

Which ep are you talking about? Their first one or the last one they released? If you are talking about the first one then I'd agree though there is not much hardcore on there at all aside from a breakdown. I think this sounds far superior to their last album. And I actually enjoyed that as well.

Notorious Arab
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:36 am 

I don't know what's the fuzz about this band, i mean there's like 1000+ better bands out there.

leatherandtrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:46 am 

I feel like I'm one of the few devoted metal-heads that doesn't write Beneath the Massacre off as a core band. They do love breakdowns, but I see that only as an issue when a band uses breakdowns as a placeholder for their lack of talent. This is an example of a band who takes an idea of a breakdown and uses it appropriately. Furthermore, they have more than enough fast parts to compensate.
I also can say that I have seen them live and to witness their brand of chaos in person is a sight to behold. The bass player mimics the guitar player perfectly, and in this kind of tech-death that is no small feat. I can see why not everyone is crazy about them but I do not believe they deserve the Emmure-esque shit that they catch in the elitist community.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:54 am 

Meh, not bad. I've never been the biggest tech death-head out there....but I like the cover art. Think it's badass.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:30 am 

I can't wait for more technical sweeping jargon with no melody whatsoever! Yay...

My Ebay Store

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:57 am 

Fuck y'all, Beneath The Massacre rips and I'm definitely getting this. Heard one song from the album and thought it was rad. 2012 is looking good.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:45 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo-GIMHP ... re=related

another new song, much better in my opinion.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:45 am 

Yea I listened to the rest of the new songs up on youtube. I enjoyed them. I find it better than their last 2 albums actually.

I was supposed to see them live at the house of blues with a few other bands but the entire tour package got there late so they had to cut the opener (beneath the massacre) cause at 11 or 12 the show area becomes a booty dance club and they actually make far more money at that than the metal show.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:35 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Fuck y'all, Beneath The Massacre rips and I'm definitely getting this. Heard one song from the album and thought it was rad. 2012 is looking good.

This.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:29 am 

I haven't so much as heard this band's name in such a long time. They used to be favorites among a good bit of the DIY scene around here...I myself am not a particularly huge fan, but they usually have a couple songs that are pretty cool. I'll probably end up listening to this at some point. In regards to the cover art, I like it, though I can't help but feel I've seen that tattooed somewhere before...hmm.

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:35 am 

I had to look at the art closely for a while to see what it was supposed to be, and then I laughed.

adders11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:55 am 

May check it out at some point, though it's not exactly at the top of my priority list for 2012 releases. I actually liked Dystopia for the most part, didn't think it was half as bad a lot of people make it out to be.

Inflikted
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:32 pm 

MikeyC wrote:

They aren't bad, but their songs sound all the same. :boring:

Wow! I had no idea there were so many norsecore bands! :D

bearkin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:05 pm 

There are a bagillion tech bands out there with more wank than Beneath the Massacre, they only get the hate they do because people know about them.

I've loved very thing they've done since their debut and I'm looking forward to their new release.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:04 pm 

Hell yes. I almost forgot about Beneath The Massacre. I really didnt dig their last EP and I kind of turned away from them since. However Dystopia was a fucking killer record. These songs sound very promising. 2012 seems to be looking brighter and brighter by the day. Fuck 2011.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:18 pm 

americanholocaust wrote:
I can't wait for more technical sweeping jargon with no melody whatsoever! Yay...

Hmm? don't listen to much tech-death eh?

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:08 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Hmm? don't listen to much tech-death eh?

I love me some tech death, and I agree with that poster on BtM; tech death doesn't have to be mindless like Beneath is, in fact, it SHOULD'NT be that way...

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:31 am 

The cover art must be some kind of a parody. It's like a ridiculous cartoon version of an "evil" album artwork.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:18 pm 

I don't really see it as a cartoon parody. It's the best artwork they have. I'm not sure what's so horrible about it when there is praise for extremely similar looking covers for more 'true' bands

anyway this is probably better than both full lengths just judging by the few songs I listened to. I might have to go on a bing over the weekend.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:26 pm 

bearkin wrote:
There are a bagillion tech bands out there with more wank than Beneath the Massacre, they only get the hate they do because people know about them.

Just posted to point out how much of a titanic fallacy this sentence is.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:48 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I don't really see it as a cartoon parody. It's the best artwork they have. I'm not sure what's so horrible about it when there is praise for extremely similar looking covers for more 'true' bands

anyway this is probably better than both full lengths just judging by the few songs I listened to. I might have to go on a bing over the weekend.

The eyes and the mouth make it a cartoon version. I hate any artwork as hilariously stupid as that no matter how good the band is. If Immolation did that I'd probably punch a hole in the wall out of disgust and I'd still fucking diss it in the internet, yo. WTC just happens to be one of the worst non-amateur bands ever.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:03 am 

I really don't find anything wrong with the eyes or mouth... esp the mouth. But I guess maybe I'm more forgiving, or more people are apt to find fault. No biggie.

bearkin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:50 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
bearkin wrote:

Just posted to point out how much of a titanic fallacy this sentence is.

How many people bitch about Beneath the Massacre's wank? A lot.

How many people bitch about Monumental Torment's wank? None.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5knco_SdYyU

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:54 pm 

It doesn't matter whether BTM is more popular or not, because they still wank. That's why I said that your comment was such a fallacy.

bearkin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:19 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
It doesn't matter whether BTM is more popular or not, because they still wank. That's why I said that your comment was such a fallacy.

Sure, that's a fair point, but the point I was making was everyone acts as if BTM is the devil of wank. They do it, but it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. In my opinion, of course.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:44 pm 

bearkin wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Sure, that's a fair point, but the point I was making was everyone acts as if BTM is the devil of wank. They do it, but it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. In my opinion, of course.

I thought Necrophagist was the devil of pointless, instrumental wank :scratch: But yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Misbelief
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:39 pm 

americanholocaust wrote:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:28 pm 

I might actually enjoy this if the vocalist didn't suck ass. They were relatively decent live.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:53 am 

I thought the laser sweeps in the beginning were the best part of the song. The rest was pretty dull.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:59 am 

If you liked those laser sweeps are you a fan of Rings of Saturn? Most of their songs are composed of breakdowns and pinball sounding riffs. I like it cause it's fucking absurd as fuck.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:47 am 

I used to like them, but now they're pretty obnoxious to me because their riffs are boring. Their laser sweeps are cool though, and I still dig a few songs off their album, especially Seized and Devoured.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:51 pm 

triggerhappy wrote:
I used to like them, but now they're pretty obnoxious to me because their riffs are boring. Their laser sweeps are cool though, and I still dig a few songs off their album, especially Seized and Devoured.

They can write some cool riffing sometimes, like in "Final Abhorrent Dream" at 1:28 hopefully their new album has more riffing and a bit less wankery.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:52 pm 

I actually hope for more of those 'laser sweeps' and I'd prefer more riffing over more breakdowns.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:07 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I actually hope for more of those 'laser sweeps' and I'd prefer more riffing over more breakdowns.

50% Laser sweeps, 45% riffing and 5% breakdowns would be great :-P

Schaus2
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:43 pm 

Oh no! a tech death band that doesnt have an emphasis on atmoshpere or jazz fusion but instead sweeps!!! I must hate this band by default!

ahhh, I love the fact that metal is accepting of so many different bands.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next