Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:11 pm 

androdion wrote:
@ dontlivefastjustdie - Considering all the above writings you might like World Circus better, that is if you're prepared to get a singer that screeches higher than on the first Death Angel record.

now THAT is what i'm talking about. will be checking World Circus out for sure as the vocals were a big turn off on Think This and I love some high pitch wailing
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:19 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Like I said, I enjoy both albums but "Think This" to me contains more filler and less entertainment. It was the right move to go in the prog direction though, I just wish their songwriting had been more concise/focused.

I wonder which album Tad and Brian prefer. I know Tad didn't really care for the high vocals.

Brian has been quoted as preferring Think This. Dunno about Tad.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:40 am 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
androdion wrote:
@ dontlivefastjustdie - Considering all the above writings you might like World Circus better, that is if you're prepared to get a singer that screeches higher than on the first Death Angel record.

now THAT is what i'm talking about. will be checking World Circus out for sure as the vocals were a big turn off on Think This and I love some high pitch wailing

Also try H.O.D's (Hospital of Death) albums, epecially the first, an awesome release with some high pitched wailing and killer songwriting, well worth a listen dude.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:29 pm 

BUMP for the fellow thrashers!!

ANTICHRIST!

Best thrash revival bands with Vektor imo. Let's revive this thread.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:39 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

ANTICHRIST!

Well that was jaunty as fuck :headbang: Thanks for the bump Metantoine.

last.fm

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:20 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

ANTICHRIST!

Fucking excellent. Some of the best 'new' thrash I have heard a in a good while. Cheers for the link.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:30 pm 

No problem, glad you both like the band :)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:48 pm 

Actually, in spirit of your new mod position and the reviving of these help threads, I will attempt a little kick start here: I am looking for thrash with a high dose of speed metal elements, much like Vektor, or Immaculate do frequently with their fast palm-muted, tremolo(?) picking mixed in with the choppier aspects of thrash, but emphasis on the former, not the latter. Also, melodic chorus' are a plus, Vendetta - brain Damage, and Anacrusis - Present tense being good examples here.

Cheers

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:48 pm 

Looking for thrash metal bands who have quite some acoustic sections in their music, such as Metal Church.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:30 pm 

I'm always happy to see some love for Toxik in this thread. They're among my favorite thrash bands of all time - I tend to like technical, progressive thrash metal and they do that very, very well.

Anyway, I thought I would post the links to the higher quality mp3s for my band's demo that I just uploaded since we play thrash. I'm also looking for feedback/reviews, as I posted in the "Request-a-Review" thread. If you don't feel like downloading them, though, the whole demo is available for streaming online on our facebook (in my sig) and ReverbNation pages. I hope you enjoy it!

Songs (in order):
Live and Let Live
Divide and Conquer
Spasms of Revolution
Danse Macabre

Metal Archives Page

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:06 am 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
I've been trying to find more thrash like Toxik's 'World Circus' (I think I picked up that rec from a thread you made earlier last month, DGYDP). Laaz Rockit is another good example, now that I think about it.

Basically something very fast-paced, shrieky vocals, and catchy intense riffing. Time period isn't really an issue, I'd actually like to see some more current bands in this style since most seem to be doing the more Exodus/Kreator thing. I'd say the main criteria is fast and shrieky.

Check our my band TEMPLE OF BLOOD.

Also check out IMMACULATE - Atheist Crusade.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:23 pm 

So, I recently started to listen to thrash...

"wut?"

Yeah, I sort of skipped thrash and went straight to Death and Black when I was making my journey through all the genres. The only Thrash band I ever really listened to is Slayer, so yeah.. I'm really digging Antichrist's Forbidden World though, so maybe you guys could recommend me some starter albums? Maybe some good recent Thrash albums? I'm open to anything though. And yes, I know vektor, they are pretty awesome indeed. :headbang:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:54 pm 

For a starters crash course you have the obligatory Bay Area an Teutonic scenes. I'd personally recommend Kreator's Coma Of Souls and Sodom's Agent Orange from Germany, with maybe a splash of Paradox's Heresy. For Bay Area I'd say Testament's The Legacy, Megadeth's RIP, Toxik's both albums for some technical stuff along with Watchtower's Control And Resistance, if you don't mind high-pitched vocals. Morbid Saint without a doubt.

For new bands you have stuff like Evile which are a modern and thrashier Metallica, and an Italian band called Abuser which is playing in the old eighties style, I find it pretty good and Autothral gave their album 90%, that says something.

There you go, some classics that make you thrash out, some melodic and technical stuff and some retro stuff. It will keep you occupied for a bit.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:35 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Maybe some good recent Thrash albums?

For some recent stuff check out:

Ramming Speed - Brainwreck (thrash with some grindcore influences)
Cross Examination - Menace II Sobriety (best new crossover band hands down)
Revocation - Existence is Futile and Chaos of Forms (thrash mixed with tech death)
Municipal Waste - Waste Em All (Don't even bother with any of their output after this album... it's solid fucking gold and blows everything else they've done out of the water)
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:14 am 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
thrash with a high dose of speed metal elements

Kind of familiar with Vektor, not sure how they relate to speed metal but some stuff I found to be very speedy would be Razor's Evil Invaders, Agent Steel, and for something not rec'd all the damn time try Nasty Savage's self-titled, it's very speed-metal-y.

I'll be looking into Mortal Mess and Temple of Blood, looking forward to it in fact.

Ok for me, is there any really essential death/thrash from the early 90's I'm missing out on? I thought I had my bases covered with Death, Morgoth, Mortification, Assorted Heap, Num Skull, and so on, but I recently got into Cancer, and I wondered how the fuck it took me so long to listen to them. I had always assumed they were just OSDM. If you're not sure if something falls on the death metal side of the fence that's perfectly fine, as old death metal is another genre I'm really enjoying getting into.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

Last edited by KC_Slaanesh on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:43 pm 

Posting again cuz the thread didn't bump.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:07 pm 

You should give Solstice a go if you haven't yet, really good stuff with members from Malevolent Creation. Their debut is ripping!

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:42 pm 

If any of you have yet to check out Alcoholator, I would definitely suggest giving them a try. They're pretty new from what I can tell. It's bay area thrash, influenced heavily by bands such as Exodus. I have only checked out Coma, and have done little to no research on them yet, but I was very impressed with that record. It's full of solid guitar playing and has a plethora of thrash anthems on it. There's also a pretty cool Excitor cover as well. I think what makes them stick out from alot of the modern Warbringer style Slayer influenced thrash is that Alcoholator has the thrash influence of Exodus like I mentioned, but has a more traditional approach at times. I enjoyed them alot.

My Ebay Store

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:14 pm 

androdion wrote:
You should give Solstice a go if you haven't yet, really good stuff with members from Malevolent Creation. Their debut is ripping!

Yeah Solstice is good, they're like a 3-way split between thrash, hardcore, and death though. I like how brutal they can get at times, but they still sound kinda different from most old school death/thrash I can think of except for maybe Demolition Hammer.

And re: Alcoholator, I like what I've heard on youtube links people posted on FB, haven't heard a bad one yet from those guys. Like you said, a quality revival band.

eratni
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:36 am 

Hello guys, I am from Czech republic and I'd like to recommend you some good czech thrash metal bands. Because I think you do not have chance to discover it by yourself, but its surely worth listening. First band I'd like to present is called Arakain. This band is nearly same old as Metallica. The reasons why they are not worl-known are - communism in our country in times of biggest world thrash wave and the 2nd reason is that they dont speak english. But I dont think this is not gonna be problem for you. This band has released first album in 1990, but in that time they were already underground known with repertoar of tens songs. Bands style is something like slightly tech thrash/heavy and they got really awesome ballads. On first two albums it sounds simmilar to artillery. Its very RIFFY and catchy. So i'd like to recommend album from 1990 called Thrash the trash - sample (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqEiDl-D1IA) then 1991's album Schizofrenie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOQAnDqvc2E), 1992 Black jack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4ADSKy0rZw) and 1993 Salto mortale (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YxHFbjV4Eo).
So guys if someone already knows them, please tell me, what do you think about them. If you dont know, please listen some albums and tell me too.

some ballad for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BZohlX4 ... re=related

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:54 pm 

Hi guys, I'm not the biggest fan whent it comes to thrash metal, but I was the same with Black, and now I'm in love with it.

So, I'm looking to get more into thrash, some of the bands I already know and like a lot are: Vektor, Revocation and Skeletonwitch. One is Prog/Thrash the second Death/Thrash and the last one Black/Thrash, yeah, I like Hybrids :-P

Could you guys recommend me more Thrash metal bands? I'm thinking of great Riffing, fast and catchy solos, really variated drum fills and not just blasts, I'm ok with any type of vocals, but i'm not a huge fan of mid-screams only.

Xlxlx already gave me a good starting point with Exmortus and Torture Squad, can you guys help me a little more?

Thanks! :-P

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:58 pm 

Check out Antichrist. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ant ... 3540285768

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:09 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

I don't have audio at the moment, but I read the reviews of their album and it seems pretty interesting! I'll be checking them ASAP, thanks!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:18 pm 

IntoNevermore wrote:
Hi guys, I'm not the biggest fan whent it comes to thrash metal, but I was the same with Black, and now I'm in love with it.

So, I'm looking to get more into thrash, some of the bands I already know and like a lot are: Vektor, Revocation and Skeletonwitch. One is Prog/Thrash the second Death/Thrash and the last one Black/Thrash, yeah, I like Hybrids :-P

Could you guys recommend me more Thrash metal bands? I'm thinking of great Riffing, fast and catchy solos, really variated drum fills and not just blasts, I'm ok with any type of vocals, but i'm not a huge fan of mid-screams only.

Xlxlx already gave me a good starting point with Exmortus and Torture Squad, can you guys help me a little more?

Thanks! :-P

For death/thrash you can check out Massacra, and if you like them you can always look up Torturer's first album which is very much alike early Massacra but with a more technical flair. On the same style but a bit more blackened you have Terrorama which is quite cool, simple but rather energetic and raw. I've discovered a new Italian band called Abuser thanks to the almighty deadly fungus, and I can say that it's highly enjoyable. Old school thrash, speedy at points and proggy at others. Check it out.

PS: Weren't you the guy who've enjoyed that Russian band Grey Heaven Fall when I named it in the "Best of 2011" thread? I have bad memory for names (internet aliases included) but if it was you I've already reviewed it, so take a look. ;)

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:44 pm 

androdion wrote:

For death/thrash you can check out Massacra, and if you like them you can always look up Torturer's first album which is very much alike early Massacra but with a more technical flair. On the same style but a bit more blackened you have Terrorama which is quite cool, simple but rather energetic and raw. I've discovered a new Italian band called Abuser thanks to the almighty deadly fungus, and I can say that it's highly enjoyable. Old school thrash, speedy at points and proggy at others. Check it out.

PS: Weren't you the guy who've enjoyed that Russian band Grey Heaven Fall when I named it in the "Best of 2011" thread? I have bad memory for names (internet aliases included) but if it was you I've already reviewed it, so take a look.
;)

Thanks a lot for the recs, and yes! It was me! I'll be checking the review, Grey Heaven Fall was a GREAT find! :-D

Edit: Already read it, very good description of the music and now I know where to find the translation of the song titles! :-P

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:20 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
thrash with a high dose of speed metal elements

Kind of familiar with Vektor, not sure how they relate to speed metal but some stuff I found to be very speedy would be Razor's Evil Invaders, Agent Steel, and for something not rec'd all the damn time try Nasty Savage's self-titled, it's very speed-metal-y.

Nice rec with nasty Savage. I heard some later albums but this is my first time hearing the debut, liking it a lot.

Cheers

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:23 am 

IntoNevermore wrote:
androdion wrote:

PS: Weren't you the guy who've enjoyed that Russian band Grey Heaven Fall when I named it in the "Best of 2011" thread? I have bad memory for names (internet aliases included) but if it was you I've already reviewed it, so take a look.
;)

Thanks a lot for the recs, and yes! It was me! I'll be checking the review, Grey Heaven Fall was a GREAT find! :-D

Edit: Already read it, very good description of the music and now I know where to find the translation of the song titles! :-P

You're welcome, and thanks for your kind words. ;)

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:05 pm 

I posted above about Alcoholator being a West Coast band. I just wanted to clarify that they are a bay area sounding thrash band, but hail from Montreal, if that sparks anyone's interest.

My Ebay Store

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:07 pm 

Yeah, hoping to see them come play in Kingston. It is not so far from Montreal. Actually talked to one of the members about it on facebook not to long ago.

MariusBR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:47 pm 

Didnt bother lurking and backtracking 50 + pages, but would like to recommend the newest hype in norwegian thrash;

Nekromantheon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkBMMwMn7wI

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:30 pm 

MariusBR wrote:
Didnt bother lurking and backtracking 50 + pages, but would like to recommend the newest hype in norwegian thrash;

Nekromantheon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkBMMwMn7wI

Makes me want to punch random things as hard as I can while frothing at the mouth muttering slightly incoherent expletives. Not bad :headbang:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:29 pm 

americanholocaust wrote:
I posted above about Alcoholator being a West Coast band. I just wanted to clarify that they are a bay area sounding thrash band, but hail from Montreal, if that sparks anyone's interest.

They're playing in Montréal this friday, I don't I'll go, I'm too broke (the ticket is cheap, but beer isn't)

Anyway for those interested: http://www.facebook.com/events/243002539106659/