Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:28 am 

This is a sad story. I randomly checked out WOY last year with Gwynbleidd and got a chance to chat with David briefly after the show. He was really nice and seemed genuinely appreciative of the fans. He sold me their discography and, while it is hit and miss, I really enjoyed a lot of his music. I guess I am reiterating much of what has been said, but I felt compelled to express my grief at his loss.

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:09 pm 

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

NO! NO! NO!

I had just gotten into this band and I love the material! Was eagerly awaiting the new record!
Rest In Peace David Gold!

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:30 pm 

It's hilarious how easily Metalheads succumb to the same kind of propaganda hate mongering evangelical Christians stick to. WITTR, Agalloch and WOY flannel wearing Neckbeard hipsters? Have you ever seen these people? Have you ever been to show? I don't know, maybe the Canadian metal scene isn't affected by it, but I have yet to go to a show by one of these bands and see anyone who WASN'T a big, long haired metalhead. It's almost as if the rumour that metalheads hate whatever is new and popular, even if it means straight up making up bullshit to justify it, is now completely true. I mean I saw the justification for Glam, Nu and certain strains of Metalcore, but this is ridiculous. How sad.

Agalloch

Pfft an Axe, god what a hipster weapon, am I right!? And I mean, Black metal and folk really!?

Wolves in the Throne Room
-OH SHIT HE'S WEARING FLANNEL, YOU'RE ALL TOTALLY RIGHT THEY'RE TOTAL HIPSTERS!!! And I mean nature and winter, those are such, like, Unblack metal concepts right!? What kind of self respecting BM band would sing about such things! They may as well sing about how much they love jesus!

Woods of Ypres
Look at these Posers, cos I mean, Black metal AND Doom is such a hipster combo, just ask Nortt. He wears lensless glasses and flannel all the time and likes Arcade fire more the Thergothon.

Think with your own minds people, that's one of the main things this genre tends to teach.

Joemoe1122
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:03 am 

RIP

This is so sad, I absolutely loved Woods Of Ypres.

Bitches love Enslaved.

amitoz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:32 pm 

RIP

i had also just gotten into them, the lyrics to the new album are kind of haunting now.

Line 6 Spider 4

http://www.last.fm/user/amitoj84

"died for me well too bad i dont believe"

Hemispheres
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:03 pm 

absurder21 wrote:
It's hilarious how easily Metalheads succumb to the same kind of propaganda hate mongering evangelical Christians stick to. WITTR, Agalloch and WOY flannel wearing Neckbeard hipsters? Have you ever seen these people? Have you ever been to show? I don't know, maybe the Canadian metal scene isn't affected by it, but I have yet to go to a show by one of these bands and see anyone who WASN'T a big, long haired metalhead. It's almost as if the rumour that metalheads hate whatever is new and popular, even if it means straight up making up bullshit to justify it, is now completely true. I mean I saw the justification for Glam, Nu and certain strains of Metalcore, but this is ridiculous. How sad.

Agalloch

Pfft an Axe, god what a hipster weapon, am I right!? And I mean, Black metal and folk really!?

Wolves in the Throne Room
-OH SHIT HE'S WEARING FLANNEL, YOU'RE ALL TOTALLY RIGHT THEY'RE TOTAL HIPSTERS!!! And I mean nature and winter, those are such, like, Unblack metal concepts right!? What kind of self respecting BM band would sing about such things! They may as well sing about how much they love jesus!

Woods of Ypres
Look at these Posers, cos I mean, Black metal AND Doom is such a hipster combo, just ask Nortt. He wears lensless glasses and flannel all the time and likes Arcade fire more the Thergothon.

Think with your own minds people, that's one of the main things this genre tends to teach.

good post.

my 2 cents...this was a good band. I do think their stuff past their first ep could've been better for my taste. But the bands style was a great one and David seemed like a hardworking guy, sincere guy. I remember when the first ep was being sold by CDRs...I wanted to buy one but was lazy and didn't have money. I regretted it years later, it's a hot item. RIP
Reading his books is just exhausting. Detailed descriptions can be great, but in Lord of the Rings when Tolkien takes up an entire page to tell you exactly how a tree looks... just get on with it Tolkien, you sociopath.

misogynisticfeminist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:09 am 

absurder21 wrote:
stuff

I agree with this. Having listened to Agalloch and Wolves in the Throne Room for quite some time now, I never understood why they fell into this catagory. Neither band, to my knowledge, has ever spoken out towards any type of hippy movement or urged us to save the planet in any song or interview. The only thing I can think of is that WitTR showed up on pitchfork once or twice. It's a bummer there is such a stigma attached to these guys, considering the vocals of WitTR are some of the best in metal, in my opinion.

I've yet to listen to WoY...

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:23 am 

I'm a fan of their whole discography. Its really a sad news. Will definitely check out Woods V

Shalk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:41 am 

I don't give a shit about how their look, but WoY was a terrible, terrible act musically speaking. Their lyrics were also abysmal.

Anyway, it sucks that someone dies in that way, so RIP, but I won't miss him or the band from a musical perspective.

ODSM Page in Fb

Pratl1971
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:50 pm 

David even once remarked that either people give them a 0/10 or 1/10 or a 9/10 or 10/10...there is really no middle ground when liking or enjoying this band. It's all personal taste; I personally find the lyrical content haunting, evocative and intelligent as opposed to shit like Dummy Burger or CoF which insults the very fabric of my intellect.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:56 pm 

Dimmu Borgir is insulting to intellect, and Woods of Ypres is not? To each their own; personally I'd rank the latter over the former in terms of the magnitude of detrimental effects to the brain caused by listening.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:23 pm 

Pratl1971 wrote:
David even once remarked that either people give them a 0/10 or 1/10 or a 9/10 or 10/10...there is really no middle ground when liking or enjoying this band. It's all personal taste; I personally find the lyrical content haunting, evocative and intelligent as opposed to shit like (...) CoF (...)

While I have nothing to say against your first sentence, the other part of your comment sort of irks me because, as much as you might like WOY's lyrical content, saying that their lyrics are anything else than childish whining is sort of absurd, ESPECIALLY when comparing them against Cradle of Filth's, because while I have no idea when it comes to the latter band's recent output, it's safe to say that, at least back in the day, Dani Filth wrote some stuff that can stand face to face with classic gothic poetry. No contest there.

Shalk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:43 pm 

Saying that David's lyrics are better or more intelligent than Dani's it's too much fanboyism and/or plain ignorance. While I'm not a CoF fan, the lyrics have been mostly all well done to my knowledge.

ODSM Page in Fb

adoravivos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:31 pm 

Nyaricus wrote:
:(
(...)
R.I.P.
Also, it appears that his death might have been a suicide (though it still definitely could've been an accident) but the wording here is kinda vague:
"What caused the collision between a car and a pedestrian, which resulted in Gold's death, remains under investigation."
Source: http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/Articl ... ?e=3415707

(hi) You know guys, I love their music, I have no words describing what I felt when I found out that the vocalist of new-discovered by me band is dead. Before I found out I was deeply shocked that his lyrics are so close to my thoughts and i can recognize myself here and there, almost everywhere. What I wanted to do is to write an @ to this guy "shite, what a handsome and talented guy!!!" - I thought.. and then... I was speechless, even more than that. I didn't know him but watched interviews, concerts on yt... and identified myself in WoY music. I know he was very sensitive person, it's so obvious.

Why I quoted this post: I think that this wasn't just an car-accident... it really might have been a suicide. He seemed to be such a warm and joyful person, smiled a lot etc.. but that didn't mean anything. Did you read his last tweets? Something happened these days and it looked like he was screaming inside about it, and it came outside in few tweets too. This is my opinion, however I DON'T WANT to hurt anyone or make this speculations hurt anyone in any way (especially if any member of his family came here or any friend of him.. :/ ). Can't stand thinking that such an awesome guy passed away, what's worse: by suicide.. that there was no one to ..just hug, listen? Speculations. Still...a misunderstanding, even it's more than a year. Wish it was just a rumour or any commercial-move like "yea, that was just a stupid joke.. promotion" but it wasn't!
His music helped me a lot during few very tough months, but I don't want to write about it. It gave me strenght and kicked me to move forward..
Everything so anonymous... shit, don't know what to write about someone whom i never seen on my eyes nor spoke, exchanged @ or so... just miss him and what he showed or gave trough his songs, that's the intuition about someone who I'm sure was awesome person.

HellKnight666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:30 pm 

Hey how he died now is not important . R.I.P metalhead brother

adoravivos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:54 pm 

I didn't write that it is. I wrote inter alia about few other things like that he helped me a lot, if you noticed that. The thing is that I think he suffered. I love to listen to WoY, but it's painful too because of David's death. Eh. Why sometimes such things cannot be "STUPID", horrible jokes... damn it. That's all I wanted to write. Wherever his soul is... RIP. ;/

HellKnight666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:09 pm 

I understand you , many of people died in last few year . I miss for LifeLover music , new music

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:26 pm 

Extreme thread necromancy.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2