Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:35 am 

do you find yourself listening to certain albums?

I normally listen to Darkthrone early evening, Paysage d'Hiver around ten, and Elysian Blaze normally only past midnight.

Moonsorrow I listen to anytime, Thyrfing early evening and later.

Do you find yourself listening to certain albums/bands only at certain times throughout the day or night?

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:00 pm 

I like to listen to Kyuss's self titled in the late afternoon as it gets dark. If I still lived in Arizona though, I'd be able to accompany it with a desert sunset and campfire which would be perfect.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:10 pm 

Death/black metal can sometimes be a little harsh for me first thing in the morning. I tend to listen to Blind Guardian-esque power metal early on in the day.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:06 pm 

In the morning I usually listen to something cheerfull to begin the day with a smile. The rest of the day is open to anything.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:09 pm 

Walking to work in the morning in the snow I tend to put on Limbonic Art.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

mindshadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:21 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
In the morning I usually listen to something cheerfull to begin the day with a smile. The rest of the day is open to anything.

What music is cheerful to you early in the morning?, henkkjelle.

bassistneededlolnot wrote:
Death/black metal can sometimes be a little harsh for me first thing in the morning. I tend to listen to Blind Guardian-esque power metal early on in the day.

I only have Somewhere Far Beyond, BG are a fine band.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:24 pm 

The perfect example for cheerful morning music to start the day with a grin: Kvelertak.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:25 pm 

Nothing too loud/extreme in the late evenings sometimes when I start to get tired.

Except for that it really depends on my mood.

Kiwion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:07 pm 

I do have a tendency to listen to Low on a saturday/sunday morning. Long drone song I tend to listen to when it´s really late. No idea why.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:18 pm 

Even though I typically listen to black metal mostly during the night, I woke up early this morning and listened to Hvis Lyset Tar Oss when I couldn't fall back asleep. Det Som En Gang Var and Tomhet in particular were very relaxing for someone just waking up

mindshadow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:35 am 

colin040 wrote:
Nothing too loud/extreme in the late evenings sometimes when I start to get tired.
Except for that it really depends on my mood.

Kiwion wrote:
I do have a tendency to listen to Low on a saturday/sunday morning. Long drone song I tend to listen to when it´s really late. No idea why.

I usually listen to Isis and Cult of Luna late at night, as they're strangely calming and make me feel I'm on a long journey into the unknown.

LlamaTrainer wrote:
Even though I typically listen to black metal mostly during the night, I woke up early this morning and listened to Hvis Lyset Tar Oss when I couldn't fall back asleep. Det Som En Gang Var and Tomhet in particular were very relaxing for someone just waking up

Burzum is often mentioned with reverance, and I often think there are many black metal acts out there just as good, but Hvis Lyset Tar Oss certainly has something they don't.. timelessness? otherwordlyness?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:24 am 

mindshadow wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

What music is cheerful to you early in the morning?, henkkjelle.

bassistneededlolnot wrote:

I only have Somewhere Far Beyond, BG are a fine band.

Were, not are. SFB is very good and they have a number of good albums but it was all downhill after Nightfall.

Battle Hymns in the morning, Into Glory Ride in the afternoon and Hail to England in the evening. Sign of the Hammer on repeat in-between.

\m/
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

mindshadow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:43 pm 

Nahsil wrote:

Battle Hymns in the morning, Into Glory Ride in the afternoon and Hail to England in the evening. Sign of the Hammer on repeat in-between.

\m/

So you don't find yourself listening to anything specific at certain times of the day? hmm Maybe I do out of habit more than any other conceived reasoning(?).

I saw Manowar at Colston Hall, Bristol a long while ago..

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:30 pm 

Generally, I like to start the day with some mellow stuff like Opeth or Insomnium, eventually move into something more upbeat like power metal such as Blind Guardian, Persuader, Pharaoh, etc to keep me going throughout the day. Then the evenings are free for alls, usually some more melodeath or atmospheric black metal to wind down.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Last edited by IX Leviathan on Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:31 pm 

nah I just listen to stuff based on mood and whatnot.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

brmln
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:02 am 

Hmm...I find myself listening to black metal more often at night. Other than that, I just throw on whatever I'm in the mood for.

Burzum is definitely one of my favorites for nighttime listening. There's something calming about Hvis Lyset Tar Oss that I can't really explain. It's just a very relaxing album to listen to.

CircleTheWagons
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:09 am 

I don't know. It really depends on my mood, but I can play Burzum day and night because Varg's discography is so varied.

Oh, and punk-era Darkthrone is great when you're drunk in the afternoon and having a good time.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:32 am 

I listen to brutal death metal and other abrasive genres in the morning. Around four hours before I go to sleep I transition to doom. Within the final hour of wakefulness I inevitably end up listening to Khanate, Earth or Sunn O))).

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:52 am 

I'll usually listen to any new albums in the mornings and on the ride to work. For me, my day is more dependent on what I am doing. If I have a lot to get done at work, I might throw on a psytrance album, or something longer and/or atmospheric. If I only have a little to do and goofing off a bit, I'll throw on some ridiculous thrash metal album, or a podcast.

I do, however, find myself usually listening to industrial/cyber acts late into the night.

MegaAwesomePants
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:55 am 

Really, a lot of stuff throughout the whole day

chish
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:03 pm 

Throughout most the day it's just whatever albums I've been playing a lot lately, though there a couple of exceptions. If I wake up and usually have time to listen in the morning, I prefer more melodic stuff, usually proggy/jazz stuff or melodeath. And I find that if I stay up particularly late, come 4/5am I listen to nothing but powerviolence and grind, weirdly enough.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:07 pm 

I listen to so many different styles and genres of music, at all times of the day. Just depends what mood I am in at that particular instant. Time of day or style plays no part in what I listen to. My two cents.

My Ebay Store

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:33 pm 

I usually listen to old-school dm like Dead Congregation and Incantation in the morning while eating breakfast (Not that I don't listen to it at any other part of the day, but in the morning I don't ever recall listening to anything else).

ScorchedEarth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:33 am 

I like some death metal in the morning in the style of Deicide, Centurian, Luciferion and Insaitanity usually. Anything else goes throughout the day.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:42 am 

Poisonfume wrote:
I usually listen to old-school dm like Dead Congregation and Incantation in the morning while eating breakfast (Not that I don't listen to it at any other part of the day, but in the morning I don't ever recall listening to anything else).

Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Oksanamica
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:14 am 

In the night...the soft music

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:19 am 

I've found I can only listen to stuff like Ornette Coleman in the mornings. The rest of the day is up for grabs although if it's raining or snowing then I put something on too match that particular mood.

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:52 am 

usually Kampfar on my way to work on a bike, Aspera Hiems Synfonia before falling to sleep...

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:17 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
The perfect example for cheerful morning music to start the day with a grin: Kvelertak.

Seconded. I listen to this album everyday when I wake up!
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

ScorchedEarth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:03 pm 

kingnuuuur wrote:
Poisonfume wrote:

Oh god that made me laugh

Painkiller1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:44 am 

It doesn't really matter to me unless I'm listening to a band like Sunn O))), who I can only listen to at night with all the lights off.

Behemoth brings the snuggle.

mindshadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:47 am 

Littlewolf wrote:
usually Kampfar on my way to work on a bike, Aspera Hiems Synfonia before falling to sleep...

Next time someone rides past me I'll smile and imagine them listening to Hjemkomsten or Ravenheart.

Arcturus :beer:

iAm wrote:
I've found I can only listen to stuff like Ornette Coleman in the mornings. The rest of the day is up for grabs although if it's raining or snowing then I put something on too match that particular mood.

What do you usually play if it's raining or snowing?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:55 am 

Interesting question, never really thought about it before. In the morning through early afternoon I generally listen to electronic/ambient, rap and psychedelic music. For after that it really depends, don't have a routine really. Late at night I almost exclusively listen to black metal. The darkness really sets the mood. Oh, and to the person who mentioned listening to Kyuss in the desert while the sun goes down, that sounds amazing.

Rotting_Christ_Mike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:27 pm 

Most of the times I choose what to listen to based on the weather. If you think about it, the weather affects your mood and usually you listen to music based on your current mood. I'll always spin some Ulver and Enslaved when it's raining, along with some doom or atmospheric black metal. Sometimes though I just listen to an album that I have planned on listening to when I have time. If it's a short album or EP or demo I may listen to it in the car on my way to work or something. If it's longer I'll usually take some of my free time to listen to it, or while doing a project for work. So sometimes I listen to what I have enough time for. Summary: what I listen to many times has nothing to do with the time of the day that I listen to it. :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:26 am 

Literally anything at anytime.

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:53 am 

No. Likely because I have such an irregular sleep pattern. There are definitely pieces which I feel are more appropriate at varying stages of consciousness.

EnemyofLight
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:02 am 

I tend to listen to something that will get me pumped in the mornings, usually thrash or death metal. If I'm not in school, it's whatever I put on, since I usually just sleep and wake up whenever. During a normal week, I end the days listening to black metal or more atmospheric death metal stuff, and doom metal as I'm going to sleep.

~Guest 256486
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:28 am 

Listening to power/speed/heavy metal bands past midnight and early in the morning always gets me in the mood. For some reason every time I get on the bus to go to school I like to start things off by playing Pretty Maids' Future World (it has that *adventurous* feeling to the sound).

During the afternoon I usually switch to more aggressive shit such as old school thrash and death metal (especially if I'm pissed). Doom metal bands are useful to me whenever I am feeling uninspired with my one-man project. It's usually much simpler, but there is so much energy to it.

Sometimes when it is raining or I am feeling emotional I find it the perfect opportunity to listen to some glammy '80s power ballads and AOR rockers just for the sentimental value of it.

NWOBHM is where it's at when I am playing my favorite old school consoles (and emulators since I am broke). It just works out so well for me.

I don't know, really. I'm weird.

SmithMetal84
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:14 pm 

I listen to Portal ONLY at night. Usually around midnight.

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:44 pm 

I like to listen to Under the Sign of the Black Mark while playing Doom.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next