Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DraakUla
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:34 am 

Lately I've been listening to alot of NLBM, hence my question, are there any DM bands with dutch lyrics?
The only band I can think of right now is Brutus. I don't really care if it's melodic death or brutal death.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:09 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
You could try some Amoral, but only their first 3 albums, after that they became power metal. Maybe I couldn't be more wrong though..

Lackpower metal.

Wait, scratch the metal. Lackpower rock.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:15 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:
You could try some Amoral, but only their first 3 albums, after that they became power metal. Maybe I couldn't be more wrong though..

Lackpower metal.

Wait, scratch the metal. Lackpower rock.

Indeed, perhaps the most boring vocals ever? Gah... Ari Koivunen..... my first experience with his music
o_O :scratch: :nono: :fuck: :ugh: :boring:

In that exact order.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:30 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Indeed, perhaps the most boring vocals ever? Gah... Ari Koivunen..... my first experience with his music
o_O :scratch: :nono: :fuck: :ugh: :boring:

In that exact order.

:lol: It's not just the vocals that suck though.

As for the early Amoral stuff, I've heard very little but I do like ''Other Flesh''. Reminds me of modern Pestilence with some decent songwriting actually.

EDIT: I'm looking for very accesible technical death metal. Think of Atheist or perhaps Death circa Human/Individual Through Patterns. I"m NOT looking for brutal/technical death metal so no unintelligible vocals either+no over the top instrumental madness as, say Necrophagist for example.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:44 pm 

Thats a pretty good song yes, but my favorite has to be Reptile Ride. They already started putting in more melodies, but it worked really well for that album because they did not offer up their excellent songwriting for it. Sadly, the band smelled money. And their former vocalist left the band because he did not like the commercial direction they were going in. And thats where Koivunen entered the picture.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:44 pm 

Colin040, Gorod and Anata might be good bands for you to dig in, and even Quo Vadis may be up your alley since it has a lot of melodic leads.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:48 pm 

Colin, you could try some Obscura, but I'm pretty sure you already know them. You could consider them a little over the top, but they are pretty accesible. And maybe the latest Immolation EP? Tell me, do you guys consider them normal death metal or borderline technical death?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:16 pm 

Thanks for the recs. And no, I haven't heard Obscura so far but I will soon.

Mweh, at times I feel the early Amoral vocalist would fit better at a core album. The guy's just not adding much to the music.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:42 pm 

Ok, I have a really weird request, are there any Death metal bands that sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFU-iggF ... er&list=UL Ridiculusly catchy... (its one of those Andy Rethfield remixes, but this one actually rocks)

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:27 pm 

colin040 wrote:
I'm looking for very accesible technical death metal. Think of Atheist or perhaps Death circa Human/Individual Through Patterns. I"m NOT looking for brutal/technical death metal so no unintelligible vocals either+no over the top instrumental madness as, say Necrophagist for example.

Check out Revocation's "Chaos of Forms" and "Existence is Futile"

Catchy and melodic technical death/thrash
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:09 pm 

Hi guys, lately I been listening to a lot Black Metal, but now I want to get back to my beloved Death Metal, This time with some good Progressive Death Metal, something like Augury or Barren Earth. Nothing really techy but more focused in the progression and the structure of the songs. So, no Necrophagist please.

My fav Prog/Death acts are Kalisia, Augury, Barren Earth and Symbyosis. Bands that have a good amount of Atmosphere, Progression and Brutality, everything in a perfect balance. More bands like that are welcome!

Thanks.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 am 

IntoNevermore wrote:
Hi guys, lately I been listening to a lot Black Metal, but now I want to get back to my beloved Death Metal, This time with some good Progressive Death Metal, something like Augury or Barren Earth. Nothing really techy but more focused in the progression and the structure of the songs. So, no Necrophagist please.

My fav Prog/Death acts are Kalisia, Augury, Barren Earth and Symbyosis. Bands that have a good amount of Atmosphere, Progression and Brutality, everything in a perfect balance. More bands like that are welcome!

Thanks.

I was actually going to mention Symbyosis but you beat me to the punch. Maybe try Codeon's Source, but that might not be what you're after.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:19 am 

MikeyC wrote:
IntoNevermore wrote:

Thanks.

I was actually going to mention Symbyosis but you beat me to the punch. Maybe try Codeon's Source, but that might not be what you're after.

Thanks Mickey! Yeah, I've been a fan of Symbyosis for about 2 years now, really happy that I discovered them. :-P

Now, I just read the reviews for Codeon's album, and the thing got my attention, I'll be checking them.

Last edited by IntoNevermore on Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmithMetal84
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:36 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
colin040 wrote:
I'm looking for very accesible technical death metal. Think of Atheist or perhaps Death circa Human/Individual Through Patterns. I"m NOT looking for brutal/technical death metal so no unintelligible vocals either+no over the top instrumental madness as, say Necrophagist for example.

Check out Revocation's "Chaos of Forms" and "Existence is Futile"

Catchy and melodic technical death/thrash

Revocation are about as good as a metalcore band... So in other words, they suck. IMO.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:52 pm 

Can someone recommend me some death metal on the borderline of technical death metal?, something like Immolation's Province. Also, I'd love it to have a similar production, though its not necessary.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:10 pm 

SmithMetal84 wrote:
Revocation are about as good as a metalcore band... So in other words, they suck. IMO.

So how does it feel to have horrible taste in music?
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound

http://www.last.fm/user/Axel_Sikth

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:17 am 

Can anyone rec me some bands similar to Foul Body Autopsy? (the band from the UK, not the Necrophagist song :P )

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:25 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Can someone recommend me some death metal on the borderline of technical death metal?, something like Immolation's Province. Also, I'd love it to have a similar production, though its not necessary.

Drawn and Quartered would be a good place to start.. i'd say get something from their last 3 albums.

HeirOfNothing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:38 am 

Remission/Leviathan-era Mastodon gone death, anyone?
Or some groovy-in-a-mindfuck-sort-of-way shit, other than Immolation.

CrustAsFuckExistence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:52 am 

I'm looking for some really out there, bizarre, experimental, progressive, technical Death Metal. Stuff like Gorguts, Ulcerate, Lykathea Aflame (so some melody thrown in the mix is more than welcome), etc. Can I get some suggestions?

Atmospheric Black Metal (solo)

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:57 am 

CrustAsFuckExistence wrote:
I'm looking for some really out there, bizarre, experimental, progressive, technical Death Metal. Stuff like Gorguts, Ulcerate, Lykathea Aflame (so some melody thrown in the mix is more than welcome), etc. Can I get some suggestions?

You are familiar with Pavor, correct?

Also, you could try these bands

Bloody Sign - French death metal, slightly tech death, but not over complicated, nice melodies too.. I enjoy every album of theirs.

Burning At The Stake - I found these guys recently, and was pretty impressed. They are relatively young but I think they have a pretty bright future ahead of them. It's modern tech death, but not at all like the overdone hyperblast shit. This band actually has structure.

Spawn of Possession's album Cabinet. I'm pretty sure you know about this band, but it is really great fast paced tech death. I really enjoy the production of this record.

Theory in Practice is a band that is technical but still utilizes great melodies as well. Pretty sure they are Swedes. Try either The Armageddon Theories or Third Eye Function.

My Ebay Store

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:06 am 

You can always listen to !T.O.O.H.! if you don't mind some grind in the mix.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:22 pm 

Try Flourishing. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Flo ... 3540304023

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:24 pm 

are there any bands similar to Cryptopsy?? Odd but slightly follow-able tech death with occasional acoustic passages. Like on Phobophile or Cold Hate Warm Blood.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:54 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
are there any bands similar to Cryptopsy?? Odd but slightly follow-able tech death with occasional acoustic passages. Like on Phobophile or Cold Hate Warm Blood.

I find early works by Melancholy Pessimism to be heavily influenced by None So Vile, but be advised that the Czech band is a bit crazy! ;)

SmithMetal84
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:05 pm 

Axel_Sikth wrote:
SmithMetal84 wrote:

So how does it feel to have horrible taste in music?

You tell me, ya butthurt metalcore fanboy.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:48 am 

henkkjelle wrote:

Try Flourishing. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Flo ... 3540304023

Flourishing is shit. It's highly annoying and it reminds me of shitty indie rock.

The basic post-Gorguts experimental technical death metal groups are Negativa and Baring Teeth, and one that preceded it, obviously Demilich. The Chasm is experimental aswell, although not particularly technical, let alone chaotic. I only have some of their later albums though, so I don't really know what the early stuff sounds like. The new albums are quite heavy metal sounding in fact; I'm not sure if they're really death metal at all. You will also most likely enjoy Mithras.

For sheer dissonance, go for Incantation and their imitators like Disma and Dead Congregation.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:47 pm 

SmithMetal84 wrote:
You tell me, ya butthurt metalcore fanboy.

Haha. Sure, I'm a "butterhut metalcore fanboy". I'd imagine you'd be the authority on "butthurt" given the obvious stick up your ass. Whatever gets you through the night. Revocation are tons of fun and in no way metalcore. Might I suggest giving 'em another try after removing whatever's stuck in your ears and bum?
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound

http://www.last.fm/user/Axel_Sikth

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:28 pm 

androdion wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:

I find early works by Melancholy Pessimism to be heavily influenced by None So Vile, but be advised that the Czech band is a bit crazy! ;)

I already have that band :) thanks for the rec, though!!

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:31 pm 

You fucked the quote up.

I don't know how you can like Flourishing. It's like the Krallice of death metal or something.

androdion wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:

Early works as in the demo, or the first few full-lengths...?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:39 pm 

I guess I like weird and original death metal. and let me repeat: Yeah, well that's just like, your opinion, man. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it sucks. In my eyes Flourishing's debut album is one of the best Death metal album to emerge in... lets say 3 years?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:45 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
I guess I like weird and original death metal. and let me repeat: Yeah, well that's just like, your opinion, man. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it sucks. In my eyes Flourishing's debut album is one of the best Death metal album to emerge in... lets say 3 years?

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:47 pm 

Indeed. Note the part that says "in my eyes."

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:54 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

Do I have to stamp that "IMO" in every opinion I voice on this forum in order not to come across as some douchebag who thinks only his personal opinion is right? I think it's quite redundant, and I find it equally redundant to point out to others that their views are "just their opinion".

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:59 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

Do I have to stamp that "IMO" in every opinion I voice on this forum in order not to come across as some douchebag who thinks only his personal opinion is right? I think it's quite redundant, and I find it equally redundant to point out to others that their views are "just their opinion".

Well this is the internet, so I can't see your body language. For all I know you were being a little douchy.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:35 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Early works as in the demo, or the first few full-lengths...?

Haven't heard the demo, but the first couple of albums have some definite influence by the Canadian gods, albeit more pronounced on their debut. On their sophomore it's not so prevalent but it's still sort of there.

Their debut is the easiest album to begin with the band, it gives you enough nods to Cryptopsy while paving the way for their typical Czech weirdness. ;)

Acidchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:55 pm 

colin040 wrote:
EDIT: I'm looking for very accesible technical death metal. Think of Atheist or perhaps Death circa Human/Individual Through Patterns. I"m NOT looking for brutal/technical death metal so no unintelligible vocals either+no over the top instrumental madness as, say Necrophagist for example.

Not to judge- but I don't quite understand why you would be looking for technical death metal without over-the-top instrumental madness. That's literally the point of the subgenre.
However, you might like Augury if it hasn't been mentioned. Seconding Obscura.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:35 pm 

Hi guys, I'm looking for really fast Death metal, could be melodic or technical as long it has loads of fast drums, think of Fleshgod Apocalypse, First Fragment and even Despised Icon could work.

Already know, Origin, Hour of Penance, Behemoth, Decapitated and Man Must Die

Thanks! :-D

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:55 pm 

I'm sure you also know Nile.

Mithras has incredibly fast double bass drums.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:02 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'm sure you also know Nile.

Mithras has incredibly fast double bass drums.

Yeah, I already know Nile, witch Mithras album do you recommend? :-P

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160 ... 289  Next