Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Rokkross
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:13 pm 

Does anyone know any good music shops in Iowa? I live in Calhoun County, so preferably (somewhat) close to there, though any good shops in Iowa will do, really. The closest thing to a music store I have near me is an FYE in Ft. Dodge, which doesn't have a huge selection of metal, and doesn't have any vinyl. The only real metal distributor that I know of here in Iowa is Pagan Flames Productions, and most of the albums they sell are horribly produced and intentionally low-fi, which isn't my taste (though I enjoy some of the CDs/records I've ordered from there). Besides, they don't even have a shop you can visit (to my knowledge), you can only order from there.

Oh, also, it doesn't have to be specifically metal-oriented (I'm into post-rock, folk, ambient, and shoegaze as well), I'm just looking for any good music stores here in Iowa, especially if they sell vinyl.

foul body autopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:37 pm 

anything in glasgow that sells pullovers? google search doesn't come up with much :(

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:37 pm 

divine_torture wrote:
I live in Decatur, IL. Don't wanna have to travel to Chicago or Peoria...Anyone know a decent place within an acceptable radius?

I thought I smelled something haha, I'm from Springfield, only places that're worth checking out are disc replay and recycled records... Though lately both have been pretty dry as far as getting good music. About a year ago some black metal fanatic from Missouri "died" and the family drove all the way up to recycled records and sold off his massive 600+ black metal collection to em. They in turn, ended up selling all of these rare gems for $4 each since they were used and didn't wanna take the time to sell em individually on the Internet. I got sooo many great albums from that haul, satanic warmaster's black metal Kommando/gas chamber EP, Sarcofago's first album INRI, the first beherit album on the original turbo records release along with at least 50 others.

Sachimada
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:34 am 

When it comes to Southern Ontario you have

Sarnia:(Port-Lambton County i.e; Petrolia, London, Sombra, Courtright, Corunna)
Cheeky Monkey (Christina Street)
Sunrise Records (Lambton Mall)
Green Earth Stores (Lambton Mall)

domportera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:10 pm 

Manalapan, New Jersey? In the US, it's so lacking in metal here.

hij
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:25 pm 

Yes.

Last edited by hij on Sun May 13, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
domportera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:16 pm 

heathinjersey wrote:
domportera wrote:
Manalapan, New Jersey? In the US, it's so lacking in metal here.
Well you can go to Fords, NJ. Vintage Vinyl has a shit ton of metal, and even has a section dedicated to Black Metal. Just about once a week a band also plays there. Last time I was there a guy was looking for Trees, which is apparently Doom Metal. The fuckers had it. They are a pretty epic music store. http://www.vvinyl.com/

thanks man, that's awesome. maybe one day after the holidays me and my friend will take a trip there. is it only vinyl?

veryevildead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:19 am 

[/quote]thanks man, that's awesome. maybe one day after the holidays me and my friend will take a trip there. is it only vinyl?[/quote]

They have cds and vinyl. It really is a great store. My buddy and I take trips there all the time, we are about an hour away. Its worth the drive. Bring a lot of money because you will want to buy everything.

hij
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:18 pm 

Sounds great.

Last edited by hij on Sun May 13, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
domportera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:31 am 

oh shit that sounds like an awesome place then, definitely gonna take a trip there. thanks a ton!

Afwo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:03 pm 

metalnut92 wrote:
Afwo wrote:
Anyone know of any decent places in Manchester? Other than Aflecs that is, hate that place. Heading up to old Manc-town to see Judas Priest on Saturday, hoping to fit in a bit of shopping beforehand.

If anyone knows of anywhere else in the Northwest that would be a help aswell, i'm not holding my breath though.

While I'm aware that this is way too late, in case you ever head up to Manchester again I can recommend a place called the Vinyl Exchange. It's on Oldham Street, just up the road from Afflecks' main entrance (the bit with Cyberdog). Vinyl Exchange is a great little store that deals in both CDs and vinyl (duh), and has a pretty decent selection of metal in there. I recently picked up a second hand copy of Hell Awaits for £4; a bargain when you look at some of the online prices. Also, the basement has tons of old thrash vinyl. I've found everything from Metallica through to Forbidden down there. Anyway, don't get your hopes up too much, as I'm probably making it sound better than it actually is, but it's definitely worth a look if you're in the area.

Finally went and checked this place out. Picked up Lights, Camera, Revolution by Suicidal Tendencies and Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables by Dead Kennedys. Wasn't much of a selection though from what I could see, but I was in a rush and could have missed stuff.

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:44 pm 

Can anyone find a metal-oriented record shop in South-east England, primarily the Kent and Sussex counties? I don't know of any, and the only record shop that was close shut down.

Blood Music
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:28 pm 

How do you even search this thread? Is it possible? I was in Stockholm a little bit ago and wanted to see if there were any other recommendations here than what I'd heard of. Anyway, for future reference...?

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:10 pm 

There's a little search window in the bottom left, it only searches this thread. All the threads have them.

Blood Music
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:13 pm 

DemonHellSpawn wrote:
There's a little search window in the bottom left, it only searches this thread. All the threads have them.

Amazing! There's so many options and so much information on each page that I didn't see it. This helps tremendously with those 70 page long threads.

TheDesolateOne
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:58 pm 

I'm pretty sure this has already been posted but anyone know good music stores in San Fransisco, CA? I might go there next year to see my shitty ass Rams take on the 49ers.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:12 pm 

Two great metal record stores in Rochester, New York:

NeedleDrop Record, located in the South Wedge of the city. Has a great selection of rare vinyls. Ranges from all sorts of metal to hardcore punk, crust punk, grindcore, powerviolence, etc.
Heavy Metal Records in the suburb of Webster, very large selection of albums, shirts, etc. More on the metal side of things than NeedleDrop though.

Disinterested Handjob
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:25 am 

Anyone know of any decent places in Melbourne (the Australian version) to pick up things like local demos and such?

http://disinterestedhandjob.bandcamp.com

scarhcqc
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:13 pm 

Columbus Ohio

hawklrd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:43 am 

any place in Goa (India) for original classic rock/heavy metal merchandise/t-shirts/CDs?

thanks.

Ina_Dingir_Xul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:04 am 

Disinterested Handjob wrote:
Anyone know of any decent places in Melbourne (the Australian version) to pick up things like local demos and such?

I'm not sure about local demos, but you could go to Missing Link, at 405 Bourke Street. There's also Heartland Records at 61 Peel Street. Both sell metal CDs, but I haven't been to either yet, I'm going to go in a few days time. There's always JB Hi-Fi, but I doubt it sells demos at all.

zomz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:30 pm 

It's highly unlikely that there are any aside from the metal I've been able to find in Thrift Trader, but ah, San Diego, California?

Disinterested Handjob
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:54 pm 

JB sucks horribly for music full stop... I haven't been to Heartland for ages. Might wander down that way.

http://disinterestedhandjob.bandcamp.com

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:25 am 

scarhcqc wrote:
Columbus Ohio

Here. I have to avoid going there when I go to Columbus because I know I'll end up dropping at least 30$.

InfektedBlut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:02 am 

If anyone'd ever be looking for a metal shop in Antwerp, Belgium...

Fatkat
Metalzone Antwerpen
Record Collector
De Rots Rock Concern

+ some other shops and chains like Mediamarkt and Saturn, who also offer a lot of metal these days.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:28 am 

InfektedBlut wrote:
If anyone'd ever be looking for a metal shop in Antwerp, Belgium...
Record Collector
ha ha some funny 'reviews' on that page :lol:

InfektedBlut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:00 am 

I know, I know. :D They're a little bit exaggerated, though. Sure, some of the items in there are expensive, but that's the case everywhere. Also, I don't care whether the guy's friendly or not. Just give me my stuff and I'm happy. :)

EternallyDoomed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:29 pm 

666 posts
100 Kvlt points added
now level 80 tr00 metalhead
I rule

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:51 pm 

Augusta, GA?

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

Poe Ohlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:00 pm 

I know there isn't one in my city, so can you check to see for a metal shop in or near Dayton, Ohio?

Friaconte
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:34 am 

Hello guys, I'm in Vienna right now and I'm looking for some metal bands t shirts. I've searched the thread and found only disc shops, can anyone help me?

Thanks

Deh Dabbler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:37 pm 

I live in Dallas, Texas but am not aware of any. Are there any good ones anywhere in Texas? I travel around the state a lot so if there's anything good in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, etc. let me know please. Thanks.

In
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:18 pm 

Are there any metal shops in Kansas? Where I live, the closest thing we have to a record store is Wal-Mart, and their metal sections is almost non-existent.

foul body autopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:09 pm 

i'm sure it's probably been mentioned before;

http://www.metaltravelguide.com/directory/

although, be careful. it's not updated frequently. and when i was backpacking about of the places had either been closed down or in the case of the pubs/clubs, had changed the style of music etc... phone up if you find a metal store in there, just to make sure it's still there. :p

ChaosGod
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:00 pm 

Lebanon, Beirut.... No Metal Shops Whatsoever... Virgin has a couple of mainstream albums with bands like Korn , linkin park, alongside, megadeth, metallica and in flames. You might find an opeth release too!
http://www.facebook.com/KAOTEON

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:18 pm 

Yep, for anyone who ever happens to visit Nova Scotia or lives in this almost non-existent province, Rock World East/Rockcandy is the closest you're going to get to a store for merch located in Halifax. Contains a selection of mainstream shit like Asking Alexandria and Atreyu, but also the likes of Rotting Christ and Burzum. Shame, this place used to have so much more before the whole mallcore crew took over. And for records, CD Heaven in Downtown Dartmouth, not a massive selection but does cover the basics and a few hidden gems here and there.

Oh, and make sure to drop by my cabin the middle of the woods and say hi :P
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

ACLB
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:05 am 

is DarkRealm Records the only shop in the LA,CA area?
what about shops in Philly or Baltimore?

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:04 am 

I'm going to Berlin in a few weeks so I was wondering if anyone knew of some good metal shops and some more general shops for great CDs/LPs. Second hand is great too. Mostly looking for metal, prog and experimental music (noise, drone, etc)

ExNoctemNacimur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:15 pm 

Anyone know a good shop in Dubai, UAE? The virgin megastore is really bad

sevag00
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:36 am 

Any good metal shops in Barcelona, Spain?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 35  Next