Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:06 am 

Man, it's really weird that the reason i know Slayer is only for VH1 (a total curiosity, i know) but i thank him nonetheless.

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:46 am 

that's actually how I found out about Slayer too, but they were also the first band that nobody I knew listened to so I count them as like the 'first' I found on my own

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:12 am 

To everyone whining and chin-stroking about grunge bands being on Metal Archives, I seriously suggest you give this (Heavy Metal Only > Detailed Version > Second) a read. Certain bands are here for a reason but, for the millionth time, that does not make them metal bands.

Pratl1971 wrote:
Again, I don't want assholes coming in and polluting my waters, I don't care what their motivation is.
This is pretty much my feelings about it too. Sure, the transients will probably get washed out pretty easily (in my observation, they don't seem to last more than 4-7 years) but I'd rather not deal with another influx of clueless noobs insisting that grunge is metal because that nice man on the TV show told them so.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:24 pm 

I still don't think grunge is a musical style, but a marketing ploy.

Anways, I can't watch any of the episodes online. I've been waiting all weekend for the episode, which was announced at 17:00 (absolutely no mention of time zones, of which there are several in Europe) on the MTV/VH1 Europe site. So I turn on the stupid idiot box at 16:55, notice there is something else on and the text at the bottom announced something else for 17:00. I turn it on at 18:05 and there is some stupid George Michael/Wham crap. I MUST have turned it on at 17:05 or something because I remember reading "18.00 Evolution of.." on the screen. Actually it says that now, but all they show is George Michael stuff. I am pissed off.

Tezcat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:47 pm 

Wolfchrist wrote:
Sam Dunn is a tool. I didn't even realize until I read earlier in this thread that Dunn actually put Sodom in his DM list on his stupid "Tree of Metal", what a complete moron.

Speaking of "Trees of Metal", does any of you gentlemen remember the Tree of Metal made by Spinoza Ray Prozak and the people from the Dark Legions Archive? If so, does anybody know where to find the image?

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:47 pm 

They should have named the most recent episode "Punk with a dash of NWOBHM"

FloristOfVampyrism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:49 pm 

Sam Dunn and all his fans need to be raped, dismembered and left in a ditch surrounded by horny, sexually deprived wildlife

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:02 pm 

So you can finally lose your virginity?

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:20 pm 

Cute, FloristOfVampyrism, but let's try to discuss actual criticisms of Sam Dunn here rather than coming up with sophomoric violent scenarios.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:49 pm 

elf48687789 wrote:
I still don't think grunge is a musical style, but a marketing ploy.

If I recall, "Grunge" is a term coined by Mark Arm to describe one of his earlier bands, and of course, he employed the term ironically. The surrounding Seattle scene had no use for the term. Really, Alice in Chains is the only band that emerged from that scene which could be considered Metal, and they were originally a Glam band. Depending on your attitude towards the Melvins, Soundgarden is Metal, too.

Don't know if it's been said, but a band that takes influence from Metal bands doesn't always give way towards a new subgenre of Metal.

Ritual_Suicide
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:17 pm 

So far Dunn's show has been better than anything else metal related I've seen on VH1 or MTV before.

...Which isn't saying much.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:25 am 

Am I the only one who, prior to this series, has never heard "NWOBHM" pronounced as an actual word? Everytime Dunn said "New-WAH-bum" I cringed. I noticed that none of the musicians ever said it, they all said "new wave of British heavy metal".

jgarci12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:42 am 

TadGhostal wrote:
Am I the only one who, prior to this series, has never heard "NWOBHM" pronounced as an actual word? Everytime Dunn said "New-WAH-bum" I cringed. I noticed that none of the musicians ever said it, they all said "new wave of British heavy metal".

Actually, Dickinson says it in "A Headbanger's Journey," which is the first time I heard it.

Thrashedtofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:22 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:

Pretty much everyone of the heavy metal people I´ve met (in Sweden) has said it like a word. Same thing with FVASHM (Första Vågen Av Svnsk Heavy Metal = The First Wave of Swedish Heavy Metal) although that is a bit more obscure term.

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:20 pm 

Wolfchrist wrote:
What he should do is cover bands like Discharge, G.B.H. and Siege and talk about their influence on Grindcore, and Death metal instead of fucking around with media made fluff genres like grunge. I know, it's on Vh1, he can't, because the people who watch the network don't give a shit. They just want to continue worshipping at the altar of whatever the fuck the t.v. says is true when it comes to metal lineage. It's just frustrating.

Even though Grunge may be some media "fluff" genre, there are still Grunge bands that fit under the metal umbrella, thus making some of these bands relevant on a metal documentary.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:50 pm 

p0wnn00b wrote:
Wolfchrist wrote:
What he should do is cover bands like Discharge, G.B.H. and Siege and talk about their influence on Grindcore, and Death metal instead of fucking around with media made fluff genres like grunge. I know, it's on Vh1, he can't, because the people who watch the network don't give a shit. They just want to continue worshipping at the altar of whatever the fuck the t.v. says is true when it comes to metal lineage. It's just frustrating.

Even though Grunge may be some media "fluff" genre, there are still Grunge bands that fit under the metal umbrella, thus making some of these bands relevant on a metal documentary.

Still doesn't excuse the shock rock, glam, and nu-metal episodes, though.

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:52 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:

If applied to anyone else, I wouldn't have believed it.

Wolfchrist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:57 pm 

New-Wob-Um :durr:

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:27 am 

I never pronounced that as a word. It's the first time i heard that term.

Tezcat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:04 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
p0wnn00b wrote:

Still doesn't excuse the shock rock, glam, and nu-metal episodes, though.

Well, given the fact that, according to his own tree, Shock Rock includes Alice Cooper and Ozzy Osbourne, and since the american mainstream meadia seems to think that both artists are "Metal", perhaps that's the reason why VH1 includes such episode.

As long as they do not show Marylin Manson, is fine by me. Chances are that they will, though :(

Last edited by Tezcat on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:47 pm 

Wolfchrist wrote:

Yeah, new to me too.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:11 am 

This will gonna be good if only the program will put an Industrial episode.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:21 am 

DemonHellSpawn wrote:
Wolfchrist wrote:

Yeah, new to me too.

For real? the first time I read the term (in some Maiden remaster no doubt) I had no idea what it stood for, so I said it as a word
(Nwhoa-Bam) and it stuck since, maybe its what context you here it in, Having heard it in conversation with fellow MH's as "new wave of british heavy metal"
it would of course stick like that rather than the one word variant.

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:27 am 

They probably be a Metal Evolution season 2 later in 2012.

Tezcat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:46 am 

ThrashAD720 wrote:
They probably be a Metal Evolution season 2 later in 2012.

...do you have any source for that?

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:51 am 

A Glam episode is at least understandable. Like it or not, Dokken, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Skid Row, Stryper, and Nitro have entries on the archives.

The ONLY way the "Shock rock" episode will redeem itself is if it discusses W.A.S.P., the Plasmatics, and/or the Mentors.

Ritual_Suicide wrote:
"Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Saxon, Raven and Def Leppard produce uncompromising metal music."
A synopsis of tonights NWOBHM episode.

At least he got 4 out of the 5 bands. Until Pyromaniac, Def Leppard were part of the NWOBHM. Of course, Dunn could've interviewed so many others within the same movement, namely Cloven Hoof, Quartz, Tygers of Pan Tang, et cetera. Also, New-Wob-Um? :lol:

Tezcat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:59 am 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
A Glam episode is at least understandable. Like it or not, Dokken, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Skid Row, Stryper, and Nitro have entries on the archives.

The ONLY way the "Shock rock" episode will redeem itself is if it discusses W.A.S.P., the Plasmatics, and/or the Mentors.

Ritual_Suicide wrote:
"Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Saxon, Raven and Def Leppard produce uncompromising metal music."
A synopsis of tonights NWOBHM episode.

At least he got 4 out of the 5 bands. Until Pyromaniac, Def Leppard were part of the NWOBHM. Of course, Dunn could've interviewed so many others within the same movement, namely Cloven Hoof, Quartz, Tygers of Pan Tang, et cetera. Also, New-Wob-Um? :lol:

He actually interviewed a guy from Tygers of Pang Tang, as well as someone from Diamond Head. And having some Holocaust as background music was nice, too. :)

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:28 pm 

Tezcat wrote:
He actually interviewed a guy from Tygers of Pang Tang, as well as someone from Diamond Head. And having some Holocaust as background music was nice, too. :)

That's comforting. From the sounds of it, perhaps there was something substantive in that little special. Of course, I'll have to see it for myself.

By the way, I've reached the magic number. Take that, Big Daddy Cain.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:42 pm 

Hey, I say Nuu-woobbb-errrmmm. It sounds silly, sure, but if you're talking about the New Wave of British Heavy Metal for a whole hour, you'd want to shorten that, too.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:19 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:

:lol: Does he actually say that? That's pretty funny...I always employ the term jokingly, and only with people who I know will "get it"..."Nwobhm!" HOw silly...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:37 pm 

I don't really know anything about this guy other than what's been mentioned in this thread, but he sounds like a tool. If I were going to make a documentary, regardless of the subject, I would do my absolute best to make sure I have all of the facts straight and thoroughly know the subject. Why propagate misinformation?

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:53 pm 

watch

'new-wobbum' is gonna start spreading like some crazy black metal fad

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:06 pm 

zzerk wrote:
Why propagate misinformation?

VH1 probably has him on a very tight leash.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:15 pm 

I dont understand why people bitch and cry about these kind of things. The music you listen to is labeled underground for a reason. Personally I think the series is really good so far. If you actually watch the episodes you would realize the weird relations that some metal heads tend to disagree with such as the relevance between Def Leppard and the NWOBHM. I really enjoyed the first two episodes where they traced the roots of metal through rock and jazz. As well as showing influences from other genres such as swing or classical. They Even touched on the first ever recording of a distorted guitar tone and how it was created.. or stumbled upon. Names I have forgotten, but they even showed a few more aggressive drummers who really influenced the early drum styles. Watching them show what it was like transitioning from Punk to the NWOBHM was very interesting. Lots of great details we probably would of never learned of if Dunan wasn't interviewing the right people. Im not looking forward to the next episode about the Glam movement but it is a part of the history. Im sure it will be interesting.

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:32 pm 

that's no excuse for promoting false views of what metal is

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:45 pm 

well Id love to see the true official views that were voted upon by the appointed metal counsel and then approved by the grand master himself.

We are lucky enough to have this tv show, let alone any tv show even some what related to the kind of music we love but of course it isn't good enough.

Last edited by TheIbexMoon666 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:48 pm 

TheIbexMoon666 wrote:
well Id love to see the true official views that were voted upon by the appointed metal counsel and then approved by the grand master himself.

We are lucky enough to have a tv show let alone any tv show even some what related to the kind of music we love but of course it isn't good enough.

I guess some information that's not really accurate is better than no information as long as there's a show on TV about music you enjoy. :roll:

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:49 pm 

we're not retards we don't need special treatment like sam dunn saying derp nu metal glam metal shock rock grunge etc are metal for the sake of being 'heard' it's insulting and disgusting

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:52 pm 

There is no reason to be insulted by it or even disgusted it. As hard as it is to realize at times Its all just music in the end.

bah, to each his own.

StevenWright
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:59 pm 

because nu derp etc aren't metal not to mention give it a bad name because the first thing people who don't listen to metal because they 'hate' are slapnuts and a7z instead of Adagio and Rhapsody and Falconer etc etc etc

the fact that even shitty angst riddden core bands are labled as metal just enhances the falseness just look at the 'metal' music choice channel it's insanity what these people are thinking

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next