Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:29 am 

neuk: There is a really good replacement for skull crushers that you can do at home, but I've tried to type it out twice now and it's really hard to make it make sense, and I can't find an example anywhere. That said, a good exercise that hits triceps pretty well is "diamond pushups". Done like regular pushups, but you touch your thumbs together and your index fingers together (making a diamond/spade shape). Try to touch your sternum to your hands at the bottom of every rep.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:02 pm 

got a new routine going. No gym out where I live nowadays. Don't have much in the way of weights- 2x 10kg barbells, a 30kg barbell (a barbell's the long one, right? always get that mixed up). I do the routine at max pace so it's a bit of an aerobic thing too. Keep it simple and all that.

100-ish bicep curls (1-ish per second for 2 minutes)
50 squats
50 sit ups (really feel the burn)
100-ish bench press reps
and a lap of the yard doing those retarded "bend your knees way down" things that smask your calves.. Not that I need bigger calves.
30 push ups.

Repeat that 3 times over and that's my work out! Gets me sore, sweaty, smiling. Pretty simple shit really. I don't do any working out when up north but I spend the entire 12 hours of work running around like a madman anyway so that helps keep me in shape.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:03 pm 

You might wanna switch to crunches instead of situps. For much of the duration of the exercise in a situp you're working your hip flexors instead of your abs. Crunches are pure ab burn. Apologies if you already know this and choose sit ups anyway, I'm not trying to be condescending.

My favourite ab exercise is the weighted leg raise. The distance between your feet and your abs leverages the shit out of the weight, I've gotten good ab definition in a couple months of leg raises with a 5 pound weight between my feet. Bonus is that it works your quads too.

Happy lifting!

caspian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:12 pm 

Never really thought of that, might as well chuck some into the routine, not a bad idea!

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:00 pm 

Rild wrote:
You might wanna switch to crunches instead of situps. For much of the duration of the exercise in a situp you're working your hip flexors instead of your abs. Crunches are pure ab burn. Apologies if you already know this and choose sit ups anyway, I'm not trying to be condescending.

Crunches may burn the abs, but they only put the abs through a 30 degree range of motion, out of a possible 70 degrees. There are a seriously inferior exercise for training abs (not that situps are great, by any means). Also, as long as your feet stay firmly put on the ground and your hips aren't rotating during a situp, you're not using your hip flexors. If you can have a force pulling your feet up that you have to resist by pushing your feet down into the floor, you completely deactivate hip flexors from a situp. If you're wondering how to get those extra 40 degrees into your rectus ab workout, doing crunches with a swiss ball is probably the easiest way to do it (you have to go all the back though, beyond where the floor would stop you). If you wanna be really hardcore, you can always try the crunch made famous by Sly Stallone in Rocky IV, during the training scene in the barn (though that one will touch on the hip flexors - but it puts the abs through a full ROM).

Quote:
My favourite ab exercise is the weighted leg raise. The distance between your feet and your abs leverages the shit out of the weight, I've gotten good ab definition in a couple months of leg raises with a 5 pound weight between my feet. Bonus is that it works your quads too.

And your hip flexors!

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:25 pm 

swayze wrote:
neuk: There is a really good replacement for skull crushers that you can do at home, but I've tried to type it out twice now and it's really hard to make it make sense, and I can't find an example anywhere. That said, a good exercise that hits triceps pretty well is "diamond pushups". Done like regular pushups, but you touch your thumbs together and your index fingers together (making a diamond/spade shape). Try to touch your sternum to your hands at the bottom of every rep.

Thanks. I found a video. They look intense but I'll give them a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L12MVrHKew8

I've included some triceps dips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx9gVDCnT84

NoisyPanther
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:04 pm 

My physical fitness as of late:

-don't eat too much junk food
-take stairs instead of elevator
-walk places

It's a good start, I'd say, but nothing that's gonna turn me into a superman.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:58 pm 

I just realized I never thanked you guys for the info on what was going on last time I asked a question. Anyhow, thanks!

Anyone have anything really good for the lower back (spinal erectors in particular, since they're weak and it kills to run more than 1.5k)?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:33 am 

I love skullcrushers, there really aren't many exercises as effective for that purpose.

Dips are good, but remember not to lean forward otherwise your chest starts to engage more.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:35 am 

I wish I could do dips. I need to get my tri's MUCH strong before I can do those (keep in mind i'm outting 320 pounds of resiance on them) Also, can't do excdrcizes like pullups (except for 1).

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:40 am 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
I wish I could do dips. I need to get my tri's MUCH strong before I can do those (keep in mind i'm outting 320 pounds of resiance on them) Also, can't do excdrcizes like pullups (except for 1).

Wish you were at my gym, there is an apparatus on the pullup/dip frame that swings out and pushes a selected amount of weight against your feet upward. This way that weight counters your body's weight and helps people who either 1. weigh a lot or 2. are too weak to lift their own weight start doing dips.

Here is a small image that explains it:

Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:17 pm 

swayze wrote:
Rild wrote:

Crunches may burn the abs, but they only put the abs through a 30 degree range of motion, out of a possible 70 degrees. There are a seriously inferior exercise for training abs (not that situps are great, by any means). Also, as long as your feet stay firmly put on the ground and your hips aren't rotating during a situp, you're not using your hip flexors. If you can have a force pulling your feet up that you have to resist by pushing your feet down into the floor, you completely deactivate hip flexors from a situp. If you're wondering how to get those extra 40 degrees into your rectus ab workout, doing crunches with a swiss ball is probably the easiest way to do it (you have to go all the back though, beyond where the floor would stop you). If you wanna be really hardcore, you can always try the crunch made famous by Sly Stallone in Rocky IV, during the training scene in the barn (though that one will touch on the hip flexors - but it puts the abs through a full ROM).

Hmm, I did not really think about range of motion. What is the effect of range of motion?

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:51 pm 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
I just realized I never thanked you guys for the info on what was going on last time I asked a question. Anyhow, thanks!

Anyone have anything really good for the lower back (spinal erectors in particular, since they're weak and it kills to run more than 1.5k)?

Deadlifts.

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:44 am 

Rild wrote:
Hmm, I did not really think about range of motion. What is the effect of range of motion?

Range of motion is massively important. Muscles are designed to take a joint through its full range of motion. Think of a barbell biceps curl. Done properly, you'd start with the arms hanging straight down, and you'd curl the weight up until your elbows are bent as much as possible (with no or very little forward movement of the elbows), and you'd lower the bar (or dumbbells) down again until the arms are straight. You would get good results using this level of control and this full range of motion. However, a lot of times at the gym, you'll see guys (usually using weights that are too heavy for their strength level to use proper form) using a limited ROM. They curl the bar up, then lower the arms about 75% of the way down, while the elbows are still very much bent, and then they curl up the bar again, sometimes by leaning back a little to generate torque (which is a huge no-no).

Same shit with the abs. The lower part of the spine is designed to curl forward 30degrees and backward 40degrees. Lying on one's back on the floor, one can only do the forward 30degrees, because the floor stops one from going back at all. So it's basically equivalent to doing half a barbell curl. There's a bit more to it than that, but that's an easy way to think of it.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:24 pm 

Anybody here train with resistance bands? I thought they were for old ladies, but I've been using them for about three weeks now and have crazy results.

Daily:

Band training (flies, curls, tricep curls, bench press, crunches with band resistance, legs) - 15
Push-ups, crunches, planks - 30/30 3 times and 1 1/2 minutes 3 times respectively
Boxing (training bag, sparring) - 20 mins
Running - 4 miles or 30 minutes

Every other day
Free weights - squats, bench, curls, triceps, dead lifts - 4 sets of 30 each, 70 pounds
Bike - 3 miles

It seems like a lot of time, but in reality it takes very little and the results are crazy. Adding band training has toned me like a mother fucker.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:18 pm 

Just had a leg day for the first time in 3 weeks. My legs are going to fall off me tomorrow.

caspian wrote:
got a new routine going. No gym out where I live nowadays. Don't have much in the way of weights- 2x 10kg barbells, a 30kg barbell (a barbell's the long one, right? always get that mixed up). I do the routine at max pace so it's a bit of an aerobic thing too. Keep it simple and all that.

100-ish bicep curls (1-ish per second for 2 minutes)
50 squats
50 sit ups (really feel the burn)
100-ish bench press reps
and a lap of the yard doing those retarded "bend your knees way down" things that smask your calves.. Not that I need bigger calves.
30 push ups.

Repeat that 3 times over and that's my work out! Gets me sore, sweaty, smiling. Pretty simple shit really. I don't do any working out when up north but I spend the entire 12 hours of work running around like a madman anyway so that helps keep me in shape.

Are you doing them in sets? As far as I know, doing more than 12 per set is apparently pointless, in fact most people I know do around 8. The rule of thumb is that if you're lifting more than 12 per rep, than you need to lift heavier to build muscle. Of course, that depends on what you plan on getting out of weightlifting, and you're obviously limited because of the lack of gyms near you.
Also, I'd recommend one of those chin-up bars you can stick in your door-frame. I got one last year and lost a load of fat (I can see my abs for the first time in years), as well as building up some of my upper body. Chin-ups/pull-ups are one the best exercises. They also feel so damn satisfying.

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:11 pm 

8 or some reps is good when you build muscle mass like I do (I do 5-8 reps per set and when I get to 10 I put on more weight), 12 or more is for endurance...either way you're not gonna get anywhere with such wussy weights like 30kg (that's about 66 lbs for those of you who can't count) for barbell, that's a dumbbell weight at best for me

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:56 pm 

usernamepassword wrote:
8 or some reps is good when you build muscle mass like I do (I do 5-8 reps per set and when I get to 10 I put on more weight), 12 or more is for endurance...either way you're not gonna get anywhere with such wussy weights like 30kg for barbell, that's a dumbbell weight for me

No, the high rep = endurance bullcrap is a myth more than anything. You want to keep reps lower, because that means that you are lifting a challenging amount of weight. Just don't lift so heavy that you risk injury. As long as you can get out at least a few controlled reps without cheating, you're doing yourself much better than slaving through ~15 reps with low weight. Honestly, people that do the latter are usually just scared to push themselves; the weight room isn't for them.

Try starting heavy, then jumping to a lower weight without a rest in between (like an inverse pyramid set), now you can reap the benefits from the lower weight and get a significant burn without risking injury or wasting time. It's simple, really.

Last.fm

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:28 pm 

Quote:
No, the high rep = endurance bullcrap is a myth more than anything.
Really? Because I've been working out for many years and always thought it goes this way even though I never really train my endurance in any way, I'm much more of a size & strength guy as I made clear in my first post.

Quote:
Honestly, people that do the latter are usually just scared to push themselves; the weight room isn't for them.

which is why guys like gelseth, phillyfrog and caspian are doing it wrong and need to give it up :)

Quote:
Try starting heavy, then jumping to a lower weight without a rest in between (like an inverse pyramid set), now you can reap the benefits from the lower weight and get a significant burn without risking injury or wasting time. It's simple, really.

I actually came up with this tactic some time ago with shoulder flies, because when I tried to put on more weight I ended up doing unclean reps and not getting any good burn, but sticking to the lower weight resulted in me doing a million reps and obviously that isn't gonna work either, so now I do a set of flies with 22,5kg dumbbells and immediately after that I do another set with 15kg dumbbells. Does work.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:32 pm 

Oi, I is. My once soft and weak frame turned boxer needs to quit.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:34 pm 

It can be hard to tell what's pseudoscience when it comes to working out. I just ask for advice from people who've been doing it for a lot longer than I have and have visible results.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:43 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
It can be hard to tell what's pseudoscience when it comes to working out. I just ask for advice from people who've been doing it for a lot longer than I have and have visible results.

Exactly! This is why the fitness industry is so frustrating. You can go anywhere and find two people who have conflicting opinions on absolutely every topic regarding absolutely anything.

The truth is, everybody's body reacts differently, and there are many outside factors that contribute every time you step in the weight room. Even taking advice from somebody bigger than you can be difficult, because what worked for them won't always work for you. People tend to assume that because they got results using X method, that it must be the tried and true way for everyone. Fitness magazines and supplements prey on the clueless because of this. The result is a bunch of pseudo-"bodybuilders" who have read enough conflicting articles that they end up running in circles and getting nowhere. I saw this all the time when I was a trainer at a Planet Fitness. That place was crawling with the ignorant.

Last.fm

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:28 pm 

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the one constant is if you want to get bigger, eat bigger and lift heavier. Oh, and compound exercises are great, Squats, deadlifts, chin-ups/pull-ups and bench being pretty much the most valuable exercises you can do. Other than that, sometimes I'm not sure what to believe.

What was Planet Fitness like? Is it true that they have an alarm that goes off when people make grunting sounds lifting heavy weighrts, or that they serve free pizza on Wednesdays?

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:50 pm 

I finally got to start my first week of Max-OT weight traning and man, it feels good to lift again. I'm sure some here have heard about the method. Has anybody tried it? For those that haven't or don't know it, it involves what Balor called compound exercises. The basic philosophy is to train a different muscle group a day between Monday and Friday taking weekends off. Sessions are supposed to last 4 minutes max and should be closer to 30 if possible. You start out by properly warming up, that is, you start light and gradually increase weight while decreasing reps, keeping in mind not to reach stress overload. Then you move to the heavy sets. Heavy sets are usually around 6-9 of 4-6 reps. The weight has to be light enough for you to be able to lift at least 4 reps but heavy enough so that you cannot go past 6. Once you hit 6 or more than it's time to raise the weight. Between sets you're supposed to rest for about 2-3 mintues which:

Quote:
allows you to repeat this process until enough overload volume has been performed to stimulate and force new muscle growth. [...] it allows the muscle to recover its intra-cellular energy stores and flush any lactate out of the muscle that's hanging around from the previous set to restore its anaerobic capacity.

Here's a link to the PDF document if anybody's interested: http://www.discussbodybuilding.com/downloads/Max-OT.zip

I noticed the soreness was different. It didn't feel as though I had been stampeded or too sore that you can't work out the next day.

I am currently experimenting with different food intakes including shrimp, tuna, and cod but this is typical of what I eat a day. But like I said I do switch it up:

Meal 1
Glucosamine 750 Chondroitin 600, still debating about taking the Animal Pak Universal
A cup of egg whites
red potatoes
2 slices of whole grain bread

Meal 2
1 chicken breast
1 sweet potato

Meal 3
Salmon
1 cup of brown rice
1 cup of broccoli

Workout

Meal 4 might have to be substituted with supplements both pre, during, and post workouts. I'm still not sure. Need to do more research.

Meal 4
Lean Ground Beef
Red potatoes
2 cups of green veggies

Meal 5
I cup of egg whites
2 whole eggs
1 slice of whole grain bread w/natural peanut butter

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:45 am 

Just thought I'd share some basics, because I'm seeing comments about how everyone has differing opinions, and it's hard to filter it all. I will share some facts on the different types of training, and the results they aim to achieve, and a progression through them.

Diamhea wrote:
No, the high rep = endurance bullcrap is a myth more than anything. You want to keep reps lower, because that means that you are lifting a challenging amount of weight. ... Honestly, people that do the latter are usually just scared to push themselves; the weight room isn't for them.

No, this is absolute bullcrap. High reps DO equal endurance. If all you do is low to moderate reps, I dare you to do sets of slooowwww reps of 20 reps (with a weight that you'd fail at 21 or 22 reps), without pausing at the top or bottom of the movement, with less than a minute rest between sets. There's no way you won't be challenged if done like that.

Truth is, there are different rep ranges for different results. If you look in bodybuilder and fitness magazines, you'll commonly see "12-15 reps" or "8-12 reps" or "6-8 reps" or "3-5 reps" and so on. What these rep ranges are actually based on is the length of the set. 8-12 reps happens to usually be about 40-70 seconds, which is known to promote strength and cause a hypertrophic response (increase in muscle size). This is why "8-12 reps" is so common: it's optimal for increases in muscle size.

If you're wondering what the lengths of sets are to get a certain result are, here:

Tonic Strength (Stability) - 3-5min (This isn't so much a number of reps, as putting the muscle through constant tension to teach it to endure. The goal is to increase the function of the smaller, stabilizing muscles, that are in the core and around all the joints and other places.)
Strength Endurance - 100-180sec (20+ reps)
Strength - 40-70sec (8-12 reps)
Max Strength - [Requires more than 85% of the amount of weight you perform only one single repetition with AKA >85% 1RM) (3-5 reps)
Power - Power - Less than 20 seconds (1-2, maybe 3 reps)

The three in the middle (Max Strength, Strength, and Strength Endurance) are all known to increase muscle size. Beginners are generally advised to work from the top down. IE - Once your core and stabilizers can handle 3-5 minutes of work, start working out the classic movements (squats, lunges, pushups, rows, etc) and aim for 20ish reps. You'll see some results and your muscles will become famous for pushing through a burn. Once that's good, aim for 12-15 reps and then 8-12 reps to put on some size and gain some strength. Once your satisfied or you've been doing that for a couple months, aim for 6-8 reps and then (with discretion) 3-5 reps to develop some serious strength and thickness. Then you could move on to power, which can consist of plyometrics like testing your jump height, as well as one really heavy squat, dead, bench, etc. Best not to do power for more than a week or two at a time.

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:52 am 

And just to clarify, I love training heavy... I just wanted to clarify that training for endurance is not useless at all, and in fact is very important to have all-around strength and function.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:48 pm 

@swayze

Can you explain to me if this makes sense to you. I'm very new to this so what you just said got me thinking. According to the Max-OT method I'm using hi reps are counter-productive?. This is what the author had to say about high reps. I will be able to see your response after midnight.

Quote:
Muscle Burn

The burning sensation that certain types of training bring on is believed by most to be a
sign of a successful growth promoting workout. Many seek it out and strive to achieve
this burning sensation as an indicator to a good workout.

Well let me tell you, that muscle "burn" is not an indicator of an optimum workout. This
burn is caused by infusion of lactic acid. Lactic acid is a byproduct of glycogen
metabolism in muscle tissue. Lactic acid is not good for muscle growth. In fact, it impairs
growth. Where does this burning sensation come from? It comes from lactic acid due to
high reps. Not only does high rep training supply insufficient overload for growth it also
causes high muscle lactic acid levels that lead to tissue catabolism, oxidative stress and
delayed muscle recovery.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:24 pm 

What did I say? Oh yeah..

Diamhea wrote:
You can go anywhere and find two people who have conflicting opinions on absolutely every topic regarding absolutely anything.

So what now, muscle burn isn't something to strive for? This perfectly exemplifies the contradictory nature of the fitness community.

The most valuable advice I can really give is to not let yourself be reeled in by others' opinions. Being pulled at in every different direction just makes everything too confusing and sucks the enjoyment out of it. I refuse to be one of "those guys" micromanaging every workout to the point of absurdity. There has to be a middle-ground somewhere. We have encompassed both ends of the spectrum just in the past few posts. I have seen successful individuals who micromanage and keep a log of all of their workouts, and those who don't let themselves get blinded by all of the people talking out of their asses and just do what they feel works until they start to see results. Maybe the best method for you depends on what kind of individual you are? Who knows, it is a mystery, and a mystery that continues to make fitness companies and magazines billions of dollars at the expense of the average joe. Plenty of average joes that I have watched join the gym with high hopes but get overwhelmed by it all and give up.

This is why I've been apprehensive about posting in this thread ever since it started. I know what has worked for me over the past five years, and I have some experience working at a gym. I knew that as soon as I stated an opinion I would be contradicted instantly and given legit reasons against what I'm saying (per my expectations). Not disagreeing, just drives me nuts.

/rant, sorry.

Last.fm

caspian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:55 pm 

usernamepassword wrote:
Quote:
Honestly, people that do the latter are usually just scared to push themselves; the weight room isn't for them.

which is why guys like gelseth, phillyfrog and caspian are doing it wrong and need to give it up :)

Funny seeing people trying to act tough. the last thing I want to do is add more muscle; I'm a huge enough dude as it is, have done enough proper weights training as is and can lift enough as is. Just a way for me to keep fit/get fitter and pass time when I'm not at work/in the ocean. Pretty confident I could bench more than most of the people in this thread.

Finally, a chin up bar would be good but currently I'm nudging 110kg, plus it's a rental.. I don't really want to destroy the house. I do it at work sometimes off this one bit of pipework; can do about 15 of them. Very satisfying and very fucken hard.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:21 pm 

ahhh, it has been way to long since I've worked out. I'm getting pretty damn out of shape (it all goes to my belly tsk tsk). I know that running/sprints would basically be best for me right now, but besides that I need a stronger core (and balance). It isn't bad, but it isn't up to where I'd like it. Can anyone give me a comprehensive core workout routine? I can adjust according to my own limits, of course.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:29 pm 

Slag wrote:
ahhh, it has been way to long since I've worked out. I'm getting pretty damn out of shape (it all goes to my belly tsk tsk). I know that running/sprints would basically be best for me right now, but besides that I need a stronger core (and balance). It isn't bad, but it isn't up to where I'd like it. Can anyone give me a comprehensive core workout routine? I can adjust according to my own limits, of course.

Nutrition is at least as important as fitness, remember that.

Also, remember that spot reduction isn't really possible. You have to lose fat/gain muscle as a whole. With men, the last place for fat to be burned off is the midsection.

Last.fm

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:38 pm 

Caspian, as far as I know, most if not all, of those chin-up bars are limited to around 95 kilos, so yeah. I'd personally advise against your current routine - I just don't think it's sustainable, but I'll certainly be impressed if you're still doing it in a 3 year's time.

caspian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:45 pm 

i'm only doing it one week out of three- there's no gym at my mine site, I just get my exercise from the job itself, plus, it's harder to snack/drink alcohol up there. I'm not being hugely methodical about the whole deal- just try to do it 4/5 of the 7 days I'm home, less if the swell's good and I'm down south.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:47 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Nutrition is at least as important as fitness, remember that.

Also, remember that spot reduction isn't really possible. You have to lose fat/gain muscle as a whole. With men, the last place for fat to be burned off is the midsection.

Yep, nutrition and cardio is what I need most. Over the summer I was really good about my diet, but I have some terrible eating habits (addictive personality; I love Skittles and I won't apologize for it) and poor self discipline in the matter. I've seen people slim down from just nutrition, but that isn't my sole goal. I want the athletic muscle efficiency back as well.

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:13 am 

added some tricep curls to my routine.. not sure why I never did them before?

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:05 am 

caspian wrote:
Pretty confident I could bench more than most of the people in this thread.

yeah but I dont think thats something to be too proud of considering...

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:11 am 

How much can you bench caspian?

Tezcat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:22 pm 

Hi there! Here's my situation:

I've been lifting weight for some time and I take whey protein before and after my workout routine. I had an accident about three weeks ago, I had a muscle injury on my right cuadriceps so I'll have to stop going to the gym for a while. According to my physician, I will be able to start lifting some weight in a 4 weeks.

My question is... do I have to keeo taking the wey protein during the time I will be resting from my injury? Will I lose muscular mass?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:30 pm 

usernamepassword wrote:
caspian wrote:
Pretty confident I could bench more than most of the people in this thread.

yeah but I dont think thats something to be too proud of considering...

I was actually surprised to see how few members here actually lift. Besides YOU'RE BOTH WIMPS. I'll beat up* both of you

outrun....:oh shit:

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:58 pm 

Tezcat wrote:
Hi there! Here's my situation:

I've been lifting weight for some time and I take whey protein before and after my workout routine. I had an accident about three weeks ago, I had a muscle injury on my right cuadriceps so I'll have to stop going to the gym for a while. According to my physician, I will be able to start lifting some weight in a 4 weeks.

My question is... do I have to keeo taking the wey protein during the time I will be resting from my injury? Will I lose muscular mass?

I would drink some when you wake up, at the very least. You want protein every day, even on off days / while recovering. It can't hurt, and may limit muscular atrophy.

Last.fm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 58  Next