Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:39 pm 

I have this edition of "Blood Fire Death". It has a pale yellow logo, with a somewhat low-quality album cover insert (no liner notes!!). I've also heard the sound quality wasn't too good on this issue of the album, but of course I have nothing to compare it to so I'm not so sure about that one. It definitely clips pretty badly when played at high volumes!! Pretty much what I'm wanting to know is, how much better is the "Black Mark records" edition? I have heard it is far superior, and judging by what I've seen at the CD store, it's got a prettier looking album cover and evidently higher sound quality. I have the version of "Hammerheart" that they did and it looks and sounds amazing.

HaggardBastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:02 pm 

Only Black Mark issue is real. Seriously.

I found the Kraze edition in a Media Play (remember that?) in Nashville when I was about 14 and couldn't believe it, but even then I thought that it sounded and looked like shit, and after now having had the Black Mark issue for so long, the Kraze one feels like a cheaply made bootleg.

It sounds really, really bad, like it was mastered from a third-generation TDK copy of the album: all of the mid and low frequencies are just gone, not to mention the fact that the drums, cymbals especially, have that hissy, muddied quality reminiscent of the sort found in 64 kbps mp3s from Audio Galaxy. The Black Mark one, on the other hand, sounds downright lush, booming even. Bathory's production values up to and including this album were never stellar, sure, but the mastering job on this one is leaps and bounds ahead of the Kraze CD.

Also, the Kraze insert is a joke: the cover has low resolution and looks washed-out, and I'm pretty sure it was just a single page with white on the other side. The Black Mark edition has beautifully reproduced cover art and full lyrics. It looks fantastic.

Trust me: go get the Black Mark issue.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:47 pm 

Get the Black mark version or the Under one flag version, both sound fine.

celt14
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:55 pm 

HaggardBastard wrote:
Only Black Mark issue is real. Seriously.

I found the Kraze edition in a Media Play (remember that?) in Nashville when I was about 14 and couldn't believe it, but even then I thought that it sounded and looked like shit, and after now having had the Black Mark issue for so long, the Kraze one feels like a cheaply made bootleg.

It sounds really, really bad, like it was mastered from a third-generation TDK copy of the album: all of the mid and low frequencies are just gone, not to mention the fact that the drums, cymbals especially, have that hissy, muddied quality reminiscent of the sort found in 64 kbps mp3s from Audio Galaxy. The Black Mark one, on the other hand, sounds downright lush, booming even. Bathory's production values up to and including this album were never stellar, sure, but the mastering job on this one is leaps and bounds ahead of the Kraze CD.

Also, the Kraze insert is a joke: the cover has low resolution and looks washed-out, and I'm pretty sure it was just a single page with white on the other side. The Black Mark edition has beautifully reproduced cover art and full lyrics. It looks fantastic.

Trust me: go get the Black Mark issue.

YES! I actually bought the Kraze version first! The photo quality of the booklet IS shit, no lyrics, and the sound IS worse. The BM version has lyrics, sounds better, AND the money goes to Qourthon's family when you buy the BM version. Fuck Kraze.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:30 pm 

I ordered the Kraze version from Amazon. Sent it back immediately and had to wait an extra two weeks or so for the real version. Worth it though.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:17 pm 

Thanks for the help guys!! Would any of you know of a place where I could order the "Black Mark records" edition of the CD? I got my copy from Amazon too (d'oh!), and thus need to be sure I'm getting the real thing this time haha!

celt14
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:54 am 

Amazon has it. You can return it in exchange for the black mar. Or get it from http://www.hellsheadbangers.com/. Sometimes they have great prices. Blood Fire Death from there is 16 bucks, cheaper than amazon. But I usually go to ebay, they have the best deals on cds. This is a good price on a BM version of Blood Fire Death. 10 bucks, postage included, good rating from user, and it's black mark. I'd get it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blood-Fire-Deat ... 1e677b5eac

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:22 am 

There's always the official website.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:44 am 

The Kraze Records edition has been in circulation for ages, maybe even two decades by now, or close to it. Christ, who hasn't had the misfortune of owning/buying it at one time or another?

Reply to topic