Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
RETIRED

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 5245
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:05 am 
 

Razakel wrote:

BBC News has an article about it as well, it seems much more mature overall: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14940885
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/droneriot
Join my death/doom group on Last.fm!!
My blog: http://droneriot.blogspot.de/
Alpha Drone at Bandcamp: http://alphadrone.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
Razakel
Nekroprince

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 4868
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:07 am 
 

droneriot wrote:
Razakel wrote:

BBC News has an article about it as well, it seems much more mature overall: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14940885


Yeah, I went there afterwards to see if they wrote up on it, definitely a better article. Damn, that's cool.

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3223
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:16 pm 
 

droneriot wrote:
Razakel wrote:

BBC News has an article about it as well, it seems much more mature overall: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14940885


I dont care what the scientists say, I'm certain that planet is crawling with Tusken Raiders and Womp rats.....
_________________
It creeps along in shadows on the hill.

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 2004
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:21 pm 
 

Black Hole devours star,

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/swift ... -star.html


the awakening of a distant galaxy's dormant black hole as it shredded and consumed a star. The galaxy is so far away, it took the light from the event approximately 3.9 billion years to reach Earth.


Most galaxies, including our own, possess a central supersized black hole weighing millions of times the sun's mass.
_________________
D - Fens

Top
 Profile  
IvoxAngelripper
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:20 pm
Posts: 66
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:18 pm 
 

Image

It looks like conjoined nuclear explosions.

Also, I'm really excited about the possibility of seeing two suns.
_________________
reiter wrote:
PREPARE BUTTHOLES FOR VICTORY


Naraku666 wrote:
Swedeath>blow job

Top
 Profile  
unicornmeat
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:13 am
Posts: 62
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:23 am 
 

IvoxAngelripper wrote:
Image


Eta Carinae right? Fascinating star!


Re: the Tatooine planet, you can see the binary system with amateur equipment apparently:
http://www.space.com/12973-skywatching- ... er-16.html

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 2004
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:46 am 
 

This Universcale is similar to the Interactive Scale of the Universe only it shows distances and gives an idea of light years.

http://www.nikon.com/about/feelnikon/un ... /index.htm
_________________
D - Fens

Top
 Profile  
RaudtOgSvart
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:51 pm
Posts: 301
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:00 am 
 

That thing needs a pause button, but it's pretty cool.
_________________
Murder Is Art, Accepted By Many Artists

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
RETIRED

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 5245
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:36 am 
 

Another BBC News article for Jigglefactor to disagree with, this time about the existence of cold dark matter:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14948730
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/droneriot
Join my death/doom group on Last.fm!!
My blog: http://droneriot.blogspot.de/
Alpha Drone at Bandcamp: http://alphadrone.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
Jigglefactor
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:14 am
Posts: 42
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:10 pm 
 

droneriot wrote:
Another BBC News article for Jigglefactor to disagree with, this time about the existence of cold dark matter:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14948730


It's not wrong, just blowing things out of proportion. But I guess Λ-CDM being wrong is more eye-catching than statistical errors, lack of resolution, rapid expulsion of baryonic mass through stellar feedback... just some of the many possibilities discussed in the paper in question.

Top
 Profile  
hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:25 pm
Posts: 256
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:26 am 
 

I'm skeptical about this one.
Strange Particles May Travel Faster Than Light.(....implications, including even the possibility of time travel.)


http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/09/ ... test=faces

Top
 Profile  
Jigglefactor
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:14 am
Posts: 42
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:13 pm 
 

hunglikemouse wrote:
I'm skeptical about this one.
Strange Particles May Travel Faster Than Light.(....implications, including even the possibility of time travel.)
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/09/ ... test=faces


There's actually already a thread about this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84018

And the time travel bit only works if both the experiment and special relativity would have to be correct; however, these results are mutually exclusive. What they're thinking about are tachyons, particles that showed up in certain string theories and travel at speeds greater than c (speed of light), but in their case c is a lower limit. Tachyons cannot slow down past c.

Top
 Profile  
hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:25 pm
Posts: 256
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:22 pm 
 

Jigglefactor wrote:
hunglikemouse wrote:
I'm skeptical about this one.
Strange Particles May Travel Faster Than Light.(....implications, including even the possibility of time travel.)
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/09/ ... test=faces


There's actually already a thread about this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84018

And the time travel bit only works if both the experiment and special relativity would have to be correct; however, these results are mutually exclusive. What they're thinking about are tachyons, particles that showed up in certain string theories and travel at speeds greater than c (speed of light), but in their case c is a lower limit. Tachyons cannot slow down past c.


....and yeah,it seems that a lot of unproven theories have been bolstered as of late. It's like these scientist have huge ego's and crave attention. Then brag about shit before they should due to the extreme competitiveness in this field. Kind of annoying if you ask me.

Top
 Profile  
Jigglefactor
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:14 am
Posts: 42
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:55 pm 
 

hunglikemouse wrote:
....and yeah,it seems that a lot of unproven theories have been bolstered as of late. It's like these scientist have huge ego's and crave attention. Then brag about shit before they should due to the extreme competitiveness in this field. Kind of annoying if you ask me.


The big self-hyping egomaniacs are pretty rare, though they do exist (e.g. Lee Smolin). Mostly it's just science journalists that blow things they don't quite understand entirely out of proportion or focus mostly on fringe stuff since it's different and will attract readers.

Top
 Profile  
hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:25 pm
Posts: 256
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:10 pm 
 

Jigglefactor wrote:
hunglikemouse wrote:
....and yeah,it seems that a lot of unproven theories have been bolstered as of late. It's like these scientist have huge ego's and crave attention. Then brag about shit before they should due to the extreme competitiveness in this field. Kind of annoying if you ask me.


The big self-hyping egomaniacs are pretty rare, though they do exist (e.g. Lee Smolin). Mostly it's just science journalists that blow things they don't quite understand entirely out of proportion or focus mostly on fringe stuff since it's different and will attract readers.

That is true with most news sources especially when they rely on advertising revenues. I guess you have to read between the lines when it comes to hyped journalism.

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
RETIRED

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 5245
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:07 am 
 

Alma telescope begins study of cosmic dawn
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15107254
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/droneriot
Join my death/doom group on Last.fm!!
My blog: http://droneriot.blogspot.de/
Alpha Drone at Bandcamp: http://alphadrone.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:25 pm
Posts: 256
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:37 pm 
 

droneriot wrote:
Alma telescope begins study of cosmic dawn
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15107254

Exactly how well will we perceive a black hole. Maybe it's surroundings but that would be it.

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
RETIRED

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 5245
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:09 am 
 

Has anybody seen the meteor shower a few days ago? Unfortunately it was all cloudy here so I didn't get to see anything.
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/droneriot
Join my death/doom group on Last.fm!!
My blog: http://droneriot.blogspot.de/
Alpha Drone at Bandcamp: http://alphadrone.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
cotwo
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:18 am
Posts: 14
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:16 am 
 

Jigglefactor wrote:
hunglikemouse wrote:
I'm skeptical about this one.
Strange Particles May Travel Faster Than Light.(....implications, including even the possibility of time travel.)
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/09/ ... test=faces


There's actually already a thread about this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84018

And the time travel bit only works if both the experiment and special relativity would have to be correct; however, these results are mutually exclusive. What they're thinking about are tachyons, particles that showed up in certain string theories and travel at speeds greater than c (speed of light), but in their case c is a lower limit. Tachyons cannot slow down past c.


if im correct Einstein proved this aswell? there was some visual with traintracks that showed the relativity of particles w/ the speed of light

also on a side note, i haven't read up but is the Europa project still in progress?

Top
 Profile  
flykawaii
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:17 am
Posts: 50
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:40 pm 
 

This may not be part of this thread but Ill ask you guys/gals that are pretty fricking smart about space here.

First of all, has anyone listened to Junius' album "Martyrdom of a Catastrophist"? Its about the philosopher/scientist Immanuel Velikovsky and his beliefs and theories. He says that in the not so distant past a lot of catastrophies like asteroids, and Im guessing other space rocks, hit earth, wiping out civilizations and life and that it will happen again at some point. He talks a lot about space and how it was formed and how it will end and what not. I just started reading his book "Worlds in Collision" and that shit is fucking scary. I recommend it.

Anyways, I thought I would throw that out there and see what all of you educated folk think about it. Thanks guys.
_________________
"I've found a way through the Ocean Machines
When it is time, we will know what it means
Life finds a way and that always will be...
When it is time we will see what we'll see...
I guarantee."

Top
 Profile  
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Posts: 4419
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:41 pm 
 

Not exactly a whole lot I've got to say about this, but I wanted to share it here because it's just generally awe-inspiring:

http://www.fastcompany.com/1769468/scie ... e-in-space

If only it were closer to Earth, we'd get to see which corporation would get their private space fleet up first to start bottling. Pure, pure cosmic water.

Would that be a turnoff for consumers, though? Would people be creeped out by the idea of drinking space water?
_________________
Visual Art: The Illuminated Night
Drone: IA
Shop: House of the Black Wolf

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3223
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:32 pm 
 

Would be hard to collect though, "the water vapor is the finest mist--300 trillion times less dense than the air in a typical room." Still awe-inspiring, but there goes my dream of seeing whales flying through space..
_________________
It creeps along in shadows on the hill.

Top
 Profile  
sortalikeadream
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:34 am
Posts: 1555
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:09 pm 
 

mindshadow wrote:
Black Hole devours star,

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/swift ... -star.html


the awakening of a distant galaxy's dormant black hole as it shredded and consumed a star. The galaxy is so far away, it took the light from the event approximately 3.9 billion years to reach Earth.


Most galaxies, including our own, possess a central supersized black hole weighing millions of times the sun's mass.



Wow, that is so cool! Not only is a black hole eating a star (fuckin bad ass bra), but anyone seeing the light today is witnessing a phenomenon that occurred just after the dawn of life on earth. fuck. boggles the mind.
_________________
John_Sunlight wrote:
Also to the guy who won't check out something amateurish: how are you into metal??

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 4125
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:17 pm 
 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Not exactly a whole lot I've got to say about this, but I wanted to share it here because it's just generally awe-inspiring:

http://www.fastcompany.com/1769468/scie ... e-in-space

If only it were closer to Earth, we'd get to see which corporation would get their private space fleet up first to start bottling. Pure, pure cosmic water.

Would that be a turnoff for consumers, though? Would people be creeped out by the idea of drinking space water?

Now I'm thirsty. Someone get out there and collect a glass of space water for me.
_________________
Anime Reviews every two weeks!
Artwork once or twice a year!
M-A reviews every leap year!
Last.fm all day long!

Top
 Profile  
moonslayer
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:50 am
Posts: 12
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:17 am 
 

Yeah, I was drawn to studying Astrophysics for a bit. Doesn't feel like such a good idea for any longer.

Top
 Profile  
mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
Posts: 2004
Location: Panopticon
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:22 pm 
 

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news171.html

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/images/2005_YU5 ... _movie.gif
_________________
D - Fens

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 4125
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:26 pm 
 

mindshadow wrote:
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news171.html

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/images/2005_YU5 ... _movie.gif

Well, that's no fun. :[
_________________
Anime Reviews every two weeks!
Artwork once or twice a year!
M-A reviews every leap year!
Last.fm all day long!

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
RETIRED

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 5245
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:31 am 
 

Simulated Mars mission 'lands' back on Earth
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15574646
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/droneriot
Join my death/doom group on Last.fm!!
My blog: http://droneriot.blogspot.de/
Alpha Drone at Bandcamp: http://alphadrone.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:06 am
Posts: 595
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:49 am 
 

I love space. That story about faster than light particles got me so hyped. I would give anything for it to be true.
_________________
bearkin on what people call metal wrote:
Or even once, I heard "scary music". Lock your doors, check your closets, look under your bed, metal is coming for you.

Top
 Profile  
Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:54 pm
Posts: 4003
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:58 pm 
 

Pretty insane: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 091652.htm

First picture of a ''black hole'', or more appropriately, its accretion disk. It's pretty insane that they have to resort to gravitational lensing in order to see it and get observational data.

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
RETIRED

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 5245
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:48 pm 
 

Russians set for Mars adventure
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15631472
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/droneriot
Join my death/doom group on Last.fm!!
My blog: http://droneriot.blogspot.de/
Alpha Drone at Bandcamp: http://alphadrone.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
necropsyalpha
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:12 pm
Posts: 259
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:47 pm 
 

Can we talk about Xenomorphs -

they live in space or i think they can

at least if i was a Xenomorph id live in space!
_________________
Quote:
DrFunkenstein wrote:
Remember when St. Anger came out and the world thought it was the worst album ever? Metallica took that as a challenge.

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
RETIRED

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 5245
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:52 am 
 

droneriot wrote:

Phobos-Grunt Mars probe loses its way just after launch
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15631472

Those Russians and their luck with Mars missions... :lol:
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/droneriot
Join my death/doom group on Last.fm!!
My blog: http://droneriot.blogspot.de/
Alpha Drone at Bandcamp: http://alphadrone.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:06 am
Posts: 595
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:52 pm 
 

You'd think they'd be right at home on the Red Planet.

Ok, I'm sorry.
_________________
bearkin on what people call metal wrote:
Or even once, I heard "scary music". Lock your doors, check your closets, look under your bed, metal is coming for you.

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
RETIRED

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 5245
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:38 am 
 

Neutrino experiment repeat at Cern finds same result

The team behind the finding in September that neutrinos may travel faster than light has carried out an improved version of their experiment - and found the same result.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15791236
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/droneriot
Join my death/doom group on Last.fm!!
My blog: http://droneriot.blogspot.de/
Alpha Drone at Bandcamp: http://alphadrone.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3223
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:45 am 
 

Amazing news, Time travel here we come!

Or not.
_________________
It creeps along in shadows on the hill.

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 4125
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:02 pm 
 

I predict some very Steins;Gate-esque time travel in the near future.
_________________
Anime Reviews every two weeks!
Artwork once or twice a year!
M-A reviews every leap year!
Last.fm all day long!

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
RETIRED

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 5245
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:23 pm 
 

Giant Nasa rover launches to Mars
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15904408
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/droneriot
Join my death/doom group on Last.fm!!
My blog: http://droneriot.blogspot.de/
Alpha Drone at Bandcamp: http://alphadrone.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
RETIRED

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 5245
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:42 am 
 

Kepler 22-b: Earth-like planet confirmed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16040655

Quote:
Astronomers have confirmed the existence of an Earth-like planet in the "habitable zone" around a star not unlike our own.

The planet, Kepler 22-b, lies about 600 light-years away and is about 2.4 times the size of Earth, and has a temperature of about 22C.
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/droneriot
Join my death/doom group on Last.fm!!
My blog: http://droneriot.blogspot.de/
Alpha Drone at Bandcamp: http://alphadrone.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:54 pm
Posts: 4003
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:28 am 
 

We just need to know how it's constituted. It could be a jovian planet, but even if it's a barren wasteland it would mean an habitable exoplanet is possible. Well, I'd be surprised if it didn't exist, it's just a matter of finding it, and we're kinda close.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Derigin and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group