Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
snakehead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:30 am 

http://www.futuretimeline.net/

So I came across this site. I'm naturally really interested in this sort of stuff. No I'm not saying they can predict the future, but they did a pretty nice job. When you think about it, 100 years from now tv wasn't around, let alone a thing called the internet. It's crazy.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:39 pm 

Interesting read, thanks for posting!

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:00 pm 

Yeah this was very interesting alright. Some predictions will probably come true around the time specified.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:25 pm 

Didn't people think that we would have flying cars and hotels on the moon by 2000?

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:47 pm 

They certainly did.

Moravian_black_moon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:25 pm 

Year 2240: Christianity is fading from American culture.

"After centuries of decline, Christianity is on the verge of disappearing from American culture. The vast majority of the US population is now atheist, or agnostic."

"This same trend was witnessed in Europe at a far earlier date. However, religion was so deeply embedded in the American psyche that it took substantially longer to reach this stage."

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:47 pm 

Moravian_black_moon wrote:
Year 2240: Christianity is fading from American culture.

"After centuries of decline, Christianity is on the verge of disappearing from American culture. The vast majority of the US population is now atheist, or agnostic."

"This same trend was witnessed in Europe at a far earlier date. However, religion was so deeply embedded in the American psyche that it took substantially longer to reach this stage."

I noticed that it made me angry that Europeans had already advance more so than the US, hah I guess the most dismal "prediction" I read was that people will be so connected to the vastly dominated AI world- that normal human contact and indeed human beings as we know it will be almost overtaken by machines in population. I know we've had a thread a while back ago on the same subject but what is to stop these Android/technologically superior beings from wiping us out entirely? Not to mention by the centuries past the 21st Earth will be largely a desert. the future seems like a rather dismal place for organic life.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:07 pm 

Yeah this is an interesting read, saw it earlier today. If even a fraction of these events come true it'll be remarkable.

EnemyofLight
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:24 am 

Some of these give me little hope in the future. I'm sure the ones saying China will surpass the US are most likely coming true. They could practically take us over with the amount of money we owe to them. Interesting read, thanks for sharing.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:57 am 

^ Scary isn't it? Yeah, this timeline is badass, a lot of scary things to think about though really, at least we'll only be around for a bit longer and won't have to see most of it!

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

SJDJ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:04 pm 

Reading through this just made me really depressed. I believe I was totally born in the wrong time.

Back when my masturbating to 13 year old girls wasn't considered perverse.

Adept128
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:44 pm 

SJDJ wrote:
Reading through this just made me really depressed. I believe I was totally born in the wrong time.

Don't worry, according to the site, you'll probably live well into your 100s.

DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:38 pm 

There's no way I'd ever volunteer to be plugged into a fucking machine and become some sort of cyborg.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:20 pm 

What are you talking about? Cyborg Olympics baby! And who knows, maybe they'll let you use performance enhancing drugs to boot!

Has anybody gotten to the part where we make contact with Aliens? It's probably not in there but if it is, tell me when it happens.

Nanoscourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:55 pm 

nekuomanteia wrote:

Has anybody gotten to the part where we make contact with Aliens? It's probably not in there but if it is, tell me when it happens.

Timeline says that we'll make contact with alien life at around 2280 AD.

http://www.futuretimeline.net/23rdcentu ... erial-life

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:23 pm 

Interesting read, but I have some doubts about how many of this is going to actually occur.

Good to know that the Universe will be dead in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000+ years! I think I'll be dead by then, so it won't be any of my problem! :P

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:30 pm 

I thought MikeyC is eternal?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:37 pm 

Hmm, well, I guess I am the Universe....

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:03 pm 

DrFunkenstein wrote:
There's no way I'd ever volunteer to be plugged into a fucking machine and become some sort of cyborg.

I totally would.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:41 pm 

Very interesting read
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:24 am 

I wouldn't WANT to live into my hundreds, unless I was still healthy and coherent. If I age poorly enough to where I move .5 miles an hour and have to have my ass wiped for me, take me out back and do me in, Old Yeller style.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:54 am 

What if you could live young forever?

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:59 am 

nekuomanteia wrote:

Forever....

Hell no.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:01 am 

I agree with Mr. C. Living forever would get so boring. If you lived forever, what would be the point in living?

SJDJ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:50 am 

Mortality is a complex gift. Living forever would suck.

Back when my masturbating to 13 year old girls wasn't considered perverse.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:59 am 

You guys are crack addicts, living forever would be the bomb.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:02 am 

I dunno, I'd probably like to live for at least 400-500 years or so. Witnessing half a millennium of human development would be awe inspiring.
Hehe, foreskins.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:51 am 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
I wouldn't WANT to live into my hundreds, unless I was still healthy and coherent. If I age poorly enough to where I move .5 miles an hour and have to have my ass wiped for me, take me out back and do me in, Old Yeller style.

I'd hope that would be the point. It seems silly to retard cellular decay (aka aging) but not account for dementia.

I'm excited for the day someone finally uploads their consciousness onto a computer.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:12 am 

sortalikeadream wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:

I'd hope that would be the point. It seems silly to retard cellular decay (aka aging) but not account for dementia.

What? I didn't say anything about the retardation of cellular decay, I simply stated, that unless I was healthy, I wouldn't see the point in living to be that old. And if I wasn't healthy (overall, not JUST phsyically), I'd want to be put down.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:15 am 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
sortalikeadream wrote:

What? I didn't say anything about the retardation of cellular decay, I simply stated, that unless I was healthy, I wouldn't see the point in living to be that old. And if I wasn't healthy (overall, not JUST phsyically), I'd want to be put down.

The only way you'd be able to live that long would be to retard cellular decay. That's what aging is. The machinery just wears out and is no longer able to keep up the energy balance required to sustain life.

The other option would involve some sort of transfer of consciousness, maybe to another body if not a computer.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:19 am 

sortalikeadream wrote:
The only way you'd be able to live that long would be to retard cellular decay. That's what aging is. The machinery just wears out and is no longer able to keep up the energy balance required to sustain life.

The other option would involve some sort of transfer of consciousness, maybe to another body if not a computer.

Uh, people already live to be into their hundreds, without any special medical equpitment or anything like that, It's about better medicine, it's not about slowing down the aging process.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:22 am 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
sortalikeadream wrote:

Uh, people already live to be into their hundreds, without any special medical equpitment or anything like that, It's about better medicine, it's not about slowing down the aging process.

Name some of the "better medicine." I bet a lot of the conditions they treat have "old age" or some equivalent listed as a risk factor.

Although I was thinking hundreds of years as in, more than 150. Maybe two or three hundred years, if not more.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:27 am 

sortalikeadream wrote:
Gelseth_sortalikeadreamndrano wrote:

Name some of the "better medicine." I bet a lot of the conditions they treat have "old age" or some equivalent listed as a risk factor.

I shouldn't have to name "better medicines." If you're going to deny that medical science has lead people to leading naturally longer, and healthier lives, then I'm not quite sure what to tell you. Is it so hard to believe that people are living longer because of medical science? I mean, you seem really excited about this whole computer deal, but science fiction isn't the only answer to a longer life. lol.

Last edited by Gelseth_Andrano on Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:31 am 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
I shouldn't have to name "better medicines." If you're going to deny that medical science has lead people to leading naturally longer, and healthier lives, then I'm not quite sure what to tell you. Is it so hard to belive that people are living longer because of medical science? I mean, you seem really excited aboutt this whole computer deal, but science fiction isn't the only answer to a longer life. lol.

No. I'm saying that medical science is focusing on retarding cellular decay. The process of aging is basically the decay of cellular components as the molecular machinery begins to deteriorate, probably causing faulty protein syntheses which would fuck all the cell's shit up.

Take alzheimers as an example. It has different risk factors for the onset time, but generally it comes because of deterioration in the neurons. The drugs to combat it work better the earlier you start them, because it can prevent the damage more easily than it can repair it. If you would tell me a specific drug I would look up what it was meant to treat and see whether cellular decay (which I admit is an incredibly broad term) doesn't play a role

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:40 am 

Well, take any medication designed to fight off infections or kill bacteria. Vacines, even.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:43 am 

Indeed. That's not aging though.

"Most scientists now agree that aging is, at least in part, the result of accumulating damage to the molecules—such as proteins, lipids, and nucleic acids (DNA and RNA)—that make up our cells. If enough molecules are damaged, our cells will function less well, our tissues and organs will begin to deteriorate, and eventually, our health will decline. So in many respects, we appear to age much like a car does: Our parts start to wear out, and we gradually lose the ability to function. "

http://publications.nigms.nih.gov/insid ... er5.html#1

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:48 am 

I back tracked a little bit, I noticed you were talking about living a lot longer than I was. I don't think any amount treatment would allow people to live THAT long.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:50 am 

Nano bots might could do the trick.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:54 am 

Possibly, but that's till pretty far fetched idea. I can't imagine them fine-tuning that kind of technology anytime soon, let alone making it cost effective.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:21 am 

nekuomanteia wrote:

forever young, I want to be forever young

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next