Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:44 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
I've been looking for the Kafka-esque nightmare in contemporary literature, but it's actually here and present in everyday life....

There's an older woman I work with whose family is from North Carolina or somewhere like that, and I guess she has dual citizenship though she lives here in Toronto. She's always talking about how upset she is about the state of things in the united States, and here in Canada as well, and how she's writing letters to congressmen, senators, the prime minister, etc. It's heartbreaking...I mean how many of these people actually read what she writes? I know she pours her heart and soul into this stuff but I can't escape the feeling that it's all for nothing...these people really think they've heard it all before and they simply know what's best, or they're only interested in dollars and so don't give a damn anyway.

Pouring your heart and soul into writing helps you organize your thoughts and let your emotions out, but sadly nobody really cares about how convincing a letter is written, or how sincere they feel. I believe, at best, an intern reads it (or skims it) and checks off "for/against" on a list. I have seen interns at open forums basically keeping a tally of issues and for/against, she explained that it was a supplement to hearing their concerns. I write as quickly and concisely as I can since I usually just get angry and emotional if I try to actually turn it into a fully-structured appeal that someone might actually read. I write a sentence or two to explain, bullet points if there more than two components of what I am saying, and a conclusion. I usually spend 2-3 minutes, and since actually writing and sending it, not your choice of words or personal experiences, is what is counted. At times I voice my opinion on issues with my congressman, my senators, and the President on a different issue every day for a week or two at a time. Autofilling forms and having the direct email addresses for constituent contact makes it really easy.

I am quite proud that I have involved myself enough that my congressman recognizes me, even though I am thoroughly unconvinced that my opinion mattered even when I represented a group.

Perhaps the best thing I do is sending him an approving email every time he speaks in the House, or publicly, and meets notable opposition. I do the same for the governor, and I am very proud of him for calling Ron Paul an idiot this week.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:45 pm 

Hello. Took me 6 pages to get into the new FFA.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:53 pm 

You didn't miss much.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:06 pm 

They were so offended about their internet haters that they wrote a song about it, what a shitty band.
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=162695

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:10 pm 

"Let's give the haters attention by writing a song about how we so flawlessly ignore them!"

Yeah, I'm betting 5FDP haven't been on the Internet for more than twelve minutes if they think that's how you respond to trolls. :roll:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:39 pm 

Pippin_Took wrote:
I'm listening to Benediction's Transcend the Rubicon. It is, in my humble opinion, totally fucking badass :headbang:

A little late, but yes, I agree. Benediction are cool. I don't have Killing Music, but the preceding album Organized Chaos was a little underwhelming. Transcend The Rubicon is a little slower than the previous two albums, but it's still very much killer.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
I've taken up running again, as it is quite liberating and a good way to get some exercise and listen to music (instead of just sitting around my house listening to music). Last night, I uploaded my "Somewhere in Time" CD onto my iPod and ran to The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. Holy fuck, talk about adrenaline. That song would not let me stop. Even when I thought I'd reach my physical threshold, and my legs were on fire and I was completely out of breath, I would play that song and fucking keep going. With the night sky and cool breeze accompanying me, it was also strangely euphoric.

Well done! I'm hardly ever that motivated, but I really should be. Maybe running will take time out of wanting to eat shit food. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:35 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
"Let's give the haters attention by writing a song about how we so flawlessly ignore them!"

Yeah, I'm betting 5FDP haven't been on the Internet for more than twelve minutes if they think that's how you respond to trolls. :roll:

That whole interview was embarrassing. "We like album titles that make you think" Really? Way of the Fist... Man that's fucking DEEP. "People probably won't read into the title much". So did you call your own fans idiots or did you admit that your previous statement was bullshit? God everything about this band annoys me.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:49 pm 

As far as music that the mainstream calls 'metal' goes, FFDP is decent. Nothing new of course, but not awful. Just music for rednecks to listen to at monster truck rallies.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:01 pm 

I'm really getting into Isis lately. Can't decide which is my favourite, Oceanic or Panopticon. They're both brilliant in completely different ways.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:07 pm 

FFDP's criteria for new bassist:

* Hard rock/alternative metal look
* Your image MUST be compatible with the band (absolutely no exceptions!)
* Under 35 years of age (no exceptions)
* Athletic build
* Not over 6 feet tall
* Tattoos a plus
* Some vocal ability preferred (screams and harmonies)
* Five-string bass ability a plus (music is mostly played in B)
* Passport a MUST
* Non-smokers preferred
* No alcoholics/drug addicts
* Band is based in Las Vegas. Be willing to relocate or commute

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:13 pm 

They forgot to add:
*wanna-be tough guy attitude
*huge faggot

Obligatory Last FM Link

Thashierthanthou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:20 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
They forgot to add:
*wanna-be tough guy attitude
*huge faggot

They already covered that with

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:23 pm 

slayerhatesusall wrote:
FFDP's criteria for new bassist:

* Hard rock/alternative metal look
* Under 35 years of age (no exceptions)
* Athletic build
* Not over 6 feet tall
* Tattoos a plus
* Some vocal ability preferred (screams and harmonies)
* Five-string bass ability a plus (music is mostly played in B)
* Passport a MUST
* Non-smokers preferred
* No alcoholics/drug addicts
* Band is based in Las Vegas. Be willing to relocate or commute

Is that for real? o_O

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:37 pm 

I love the height requirement. God there isn't a damn thing about this band that isn't a waste of humanity.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:40 pm 

Haha, I had almost forgotten about Five Finger Death Punch and then this! This type of behaviour is like the fucking bat signal for me, too bad they're no longer on the archives.

An entire song devoted to negative criticism on the internet? Congratulations you just fucking failed at life. Did anyone actually listen to the song? Possibly the most asinine thing they've ever written and that's saying something.

Thashierthanthou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:48 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I love the height requirement. God there isn't a damn thing about this band that isn't a waste of humanity.

I'd think that FFDP would want a tall guy, to make the band look more 'badass'.

cahuich
Chemical Sexican

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:09 pm 

Seriously, they're still living in fucking '00 or what?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:16 pm 

slayerhatesusall wrote:
They were so offended about their internet haters that they wrote a song about it, what a shitty band.

Anyone who uses the word 'hater' seriously is automatically 100% retarded. Bullshit word used by bullshit people.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:22 pm 

zeingard wrote:
Haha, I had almost forgotten about Five Finger Death Punch and then this! This type of behaviour is like the fucking bat signal for me, too bad they're no longer on the archives.

An entire song devoted to negative criticism on the internet? Congratulations you just fucking failed at life. Did anyone actually listen to the song? Possibly the most asinine thing they've ever written and that's saying something.

I could only listen to it up until the terrible metalcoreish chorus until I had enough and couldn't take it anymore.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:30 pm 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

I'd think that FFDP would want a tall guy, to make the band look more 'badass'.

Only short-asses are real :roll:

My collection

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:32 pm 

I try to ignore bands like that, its seems like they are constantly trying to one up each other with who can come up with the most retarded ideas.

For fans of USBM band Cobalt, they are working on a new album, which is to be titled "Slow Forever." It was said in an interview that they were inspired by the excess of Las Vegas to write the new album.

I remember someone on here saying that Skagos's An-Archic would be their final album. This is not true, I talked to the vocalist on another forum, and he said he has a ridiculous amount of future albums conceptualized and they are not breaking up.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:35 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

That may have more to do with six-foot bunks that most tour buses have. I have a friend who was just under six feet tall who always had trouble sleeping in those bunks. I suppose short guys and image could be part of it, but living space on a tour bus really favors more compact people. I could never travel with a band of five in a van, or sleep in a tour bus bunk, I'm just too tall to fit comfortably.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:35 pm 

Re: Beherit's Engram - As I said in my review of the album it's on, the Kriegsmaschine song "Through the Eyes of the Blind" is sort of like a better version of "Demon Advance." Maybe not as hypnotic, but a real good tune.

As for Bush, these days I tend to view him as more of a dumb, quasi-innocent idiot puppet than anything else. Not that he's totally blameless, but I think had he been impeached/jailed/whatever, it still would have largely been a scapegoat type of situation. Cheney was the real evil mastermind in that operation, if you ask me.

Ok folks, prepare to have your faces THRASHED AWAY by the rippin' tuneage of Compactör's new hit tune, THRASHTRUCK: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10777784/thrashtruck_final.mp3

failsafeman titled it and came up with the original idea for it, I wrote it and did the rhythm guitars, bass, drum programming, vocals, ghetto gang shouts and noisy bullshit solo and reiter/RageW wrote and performed the good solos. Enjoy, or something!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:59 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
For fans of USBM band Cobalt, they are working on a new album, which is to be titled "Slow Forever." It was said in an interview that they were inspired by the excess of Las Vegas to write the new album.

OoooooO
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:24 am 

Empyreal wrote:
slayerhatesusall wrote:

Anyone who uses the word 'hater' seriously is automatically 100% retarded. Bullshit word used by bullshit people.

Repeated for truth. Huge pet peeve of mine.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:34 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Ok folks, prepare to have your faces THRASHED AWAY by the rippin' tuneage of Compactör's new hit tune, THRASHTRUCK: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10777784/thrashtruck_final.mp3

Such work of art, such perfection, such beauty, makes no sense inside the concepts of euclidean geometry. My hats off to you, and all of the incredibly talented and handsome men that participated in this project (except failsafeman).

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am 

Wow, That's the greatest thing I've heard in the last 10 years, I'm deadly fucking serious. Utter Masterpiece, may you be showered with gold and women for this amazing contribution to metal, and society in general.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:33 am 

You know, after listening to it a lot more just recently, I'm going to have to say I like Clandestine more than Left Hand Path. This record is so damn heavy, and chaotic with one of the most energetic vocal performances I've heard courtesy of Nicke. Just, greatness.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:39 am 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
You know, after listening to it a lot more just recently, I'm going to have to say I like Clandestine more than Left Hand Path. This record is so damn heavy, and chaotic with one of the most energetic vocal performances I've heard courtesy of Nicke. Just, greatness.

I can't hear that album anymore and not hear Al Pacino going, "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" (thanks Nicke)
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:55 am 

slayerhatesusall wrote:

Ewww, my friend played me their cover of "Bad Company" (first thing I've heard by them) today and claimed it was good. I will now never take anything he says about music seriously.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:59 am 

I had snails with garlic butter and Roquefort, a 300 gram extra rare pepper steak with a shitload of stuff on the side, about 5 Laphroiags, several normal pints and a few Trappist beers, and various other drinks last night, and much fun was had until 1 am. Gotta love work meetings sometimes...

I wonder where the hangover is. It's at least 3 hours late already. I wonder if it has the wrong address. That, or I'm just immortal or something.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:33 am 

That FFDP interview gave me the laughs I needed. Man, that is literally some seriously funny shit. Were they not joking? I just don't know anymore. Holy shit man, that interview. I wish I wasn't so braindead so I could actually form proper sentences.

In other news, I haven't been this hungover since...the last time I was this hungover. Uuuuuugggghhhhhhggghhhhh morning classes will be the death of me. I feel like the inside of an asshole. Loud Behemoth and energy drinks can only do so much.

Apparently your hangover found someone, Nappy. Share the immortality?

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:07 am 

Napero wrote:
I had snails with garlic butter and Roquefort, a 300 gram extra rare pepper steak with a shitload of stuff on the side, about 5 Laphroiags, several normal pints and a few Trappist beers, and various other drinks last night, and much fun was had until 1 am. Gotta love work meetings sometimes...

I wonder where the hangover is. It's at least 3 hours late already. I wonder if it has the wrong address. That, or I'm just immortal or something.

Sounds excellent. Wondering about the hangover though. Hopefully you had Rochefort with the Roquefort.

Also, at least something good came out of the Five-Finger Death Punch talk in here: Found out that their Bad Company is actually a cover and the original is awesome, bluesy rock stuff. I can't figure out why I haven't heard of Bad Company (the band) before. Gotta check this stuff out.

Bede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:11 am 

Laphroaig does not give you a hangover. It even cleanses your body of all the other alcoholic drinks you may have consumed on the same night. Trust me, I'm a landowner.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:20 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Also, at least something good came out of the Five-Finger Death Punch talk in here: Found out that their Bad Company is actually a cover and the original is awesome, bluesy rock stuff. I can't figure out why I haven't heard of Bad Company (the band) before. Gotta check this stuff out.

I actually find Bad Company pretty bland, but check out Free, though, same singer and a better guitarist and much better songs. Fire and Water is a good place to start, I reckon.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:00 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I actually find Bad Company pretty bland, but check out Free, though, same singer and a better guitarist and much better songs. Fire and Water is a good place to start, I reckon.

Oh, I'm aware (and in love) with Free already.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:26 am 

Napero wrote:

Wow. I want your job.

droneriot wrote:
wreath_of_coils wrote:
Abominatrix, "The Grand Leveller" is worth checking out. It's a platter of dark, murky, back to basics DM. No frills. No bullshit.

"The Dreams You Dread" is good, too. I'm not too big a fan of "Subconscious Terror", I can't really get into Barney's vocals. Otherwise all their stuff up to "The Dreams You Dread" is worth checking out, with "Transcend the Rubicon" being the best of the lot.

Will get on these rec's too. I've only really *got* death metal in the last 6 months or so, but those amazing OSDM gems threads seemed to arrive just about the right time, have got into some amazing things there.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:51 am 

So this band are apparently getting less backlash than Design the Skyline...
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:01 am 

Just purchased The Witcher 2: Assassins of King. Really excited to play this!

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:23 am 

Anyone Euro/UK based know of any really good mail-order/online distros? I'm planning to order a stack of stuff from Shadow Kingdom, but the postage is quite high to the UK. Wondering if anyone has any good recs?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 827  Next