Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pathless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:13 pm 

pefak wrote:
I'm looking for some viking/black metal with folk elements along the lines of Manegarm. What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Trollskau, Skrømt og Kølabrenning by Myrkgrav is pretty accurate to what you are looking for. Actually, I'm pretty positive you will love it.

pefak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:16 pm 

Pathless wrote:
pefak wrote:
I'm looking for some viking/black metal with folk elements along the lines of Manegarm. What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Trollskau, Skrømt og Kølabrenning by Myrkgrav is pretty accurate to what you are looking for. Actually, I'm pretty positive you will love it.

I do love it! One of my favorites. Do you know any other band/album with the same characteristics?

Thanks man

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:55 am 

ralfikk123 wrote:
Thanks Slag, I will check them out as soon as I can.
Yea, and I thought about it and I don't really think that Saurom has enough Folk qualities to really sate the crux of your request. So hey, I'll give you some more. Check out Bellfast, oddly enough they were formed in '93. They didn't officially put out any music until 2001, though, and only in 2010 did they get their first album. It is pretty good and off the top of my head favourite tracks; Celtic Drum, That's Ireland, and Sail Under the Midnight Sun should do ya good (the vocalist kinda sounds like Bruce D. at times too).

Also check out Tuatha de Danann (I don't know their discography outside of their newest, so I linked to that). It is very good, certainly a very lighthearted approach. I don't want to say they're exactly party bouncey, around likes korpiklaani or finntroll, but they still inherit a very fun feel to their music. Highlights: Bella Natura (don't let the start fool ya, mind), Land of Youth, and Believe: It's True!

^Those two are certainly underground bands, but in case you don't know some more popular ones (since you didn't know Skiltron); you should also check out Týr , later Falconer (for when their work becomes more pronouncedly Folk influenced), and the infamous Skyclad.

MrFister
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:27 pm 

I recommend these bands for anyone.

Ensiferum: Viking/Folk Metal from Finland

Korpiklaani: Folk Metal from Finland

Finntroll: Folk Metal from Finland

Moonsorrow: Folk/Pagan/Black Metal from Finland

Metsätöll: Folk Metal from Estonia

Wolfhorde: Folk/Black Metal from Finland. Really unknown band, this band has released only 1 demo and EP.

Wolfchant: Pagan/Folk Metal from Germany

Varg: Pagan Metal from Germany

Elvenking: Melodic Power/Folk Metal from Italy

Týr: Progressive/Folk Metal from Faroe Islands

Thyrfing: Viking/Black Metal from Sweden

Storm: Viking/Folk Metal from Norway. Unknown band, this band has released only 1 album.

Nothgard: Pagan Metal from Germany. Unknown band, this band has released only 1 album.

Heathen Foray: Melodic Viking Metal from Austria

Helheim: Viking/Black Metal from Norway

Gernotshagen: Pagan/Black/Folk Metal from Germany

Frosttide: Folk/Black Metal from Finland. Unknown band, this band has released only 1 EP.

Draugnim: Pagan/Black Metal from Finland

Einherjer: Viking Metal from Norway

Enslaved: Progressive Black/Viking Metal from Norway

Equilibrium: Folk/Viking Metal from Germany

Crimfall: Symphonic Power/Folk/Viking Metal from Finland

If you haven't listened those bands, you should really check their stuff!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:04 pm 

Does anyone know of any bands that are really similar to Falkenbach? I've done a lot of digging into supposedly similar bands myself but I haven't really been very successful. Most of the "similar" bands I've checked out have been either too black metal focused, with mainly harsh vocals and lots of blasting, or too "progressive" like Myrkgrav. I've listened to a ton of the more well-known Viking metal bands like Thyrfing and Manegarm as well as some slightly more obscure ones like Menhir and Mithotyn, so what I'm looking for would probably have to be more obscure than that. However, if it's a more well-known band that you think sounds really similar to Falkenbach, by all means give them a mention as there's always the chance I missed something more obvious.

Thanks!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:45 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Does anyone know of any bands that are really similar to Falkenbach? I've done a lot of digging into supposedly similar bands myself but I haven't really been very successful. Most of the "similar" bands I've checked out have been either too black metal focused, with mainly harsh vocals and lots of blasting, or too "progressive" like Myrkgrav. I've listened to a ton of the more well-known Viking metal bands like Thyrfing and Manegarm as well as some slightly more obscure ones like Menhir and Mithotyn, so what I'm looking for would probably have to be more obscure than that. However, if it's a more well-known band that you think sounds really similar to Falkenbach, by all means give them a mention as there's always the chance I missed something more obvious.

Thanks!

You prob would enjoy 'Asa' by Voluspaa, an enjoyable release with some good clean singing, check out the track 'Reis Deg Min Herre' for a good example, im on a portable device so I cant post a link sadly.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:31 pm 

Ah, thanks dude, that's one I haven't heard. I'll give it a listen and edit this post with my thoughts.

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:34 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Does anyone know of any bands that are really similar to Falkenbach?

Give Oakenshield a try:

http://youtu.be/69pJBUeCFtM

A one-man project from the U.K.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:12 pm 

Oakenshield I've heard. They're pretty close but not 100% spot on, but mostly I'm sort of unimpressed with the vocals.

Voluspaa, however, are much closer the mark. I like what I'm hearing so far, thanks!

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:17 am 

I think Ereb Altor sounds pretty similar to Falkenbach. I don't think there's anyone else that sounds much closer to Falkenbach, though. You might want to try Gjallarhorn (Italy), Die Saat, the first Fjoergyn album, or the first Nomans Land album. And of course there's Bathory's epic albums, which were influential on Falkenbach.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:14 am 

Voluspaa are great, thanks STORMM. samekh, I'll give those a shot (though I'm already a fan of Bathory). Thanks.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:13 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Voluspaa are great, thanks STORMM. samekh, I'll give those a shot (though I'm already a fan of Bathory). Thanks.

Good stuff bro, thought you would like them.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:40 am 

This is a bit general, but I'm looking for folk that's somewhat atmospheric and makes good use of acoustic instruments, possibly traditional as well. Not really looking for super-upbeat, fast, dance-around-a-bonfire with a bottle of whiskey stuff like certain bands, though I do like some of that stuff.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:58 am 

MrFister wrote:

Storm: Viking/Folk Metal from Norway.Unknown band, this band has released only 1 album.

That made me laugh quite a bit... Unknown? But well... Def. a classic one!

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
This is a bit general, but I'm looking for folk that's somewhat atmospheric and makes good use of acoustic instruments, possibly traditional as well. Not really looking for super-upbeat, fast, dance-around-a-bonfire with a bottle of whiskey stuff like certain bands, though I do like some of that stuff.

maybe the debut album by Borknagar is sth for you. That and Moonsorrow's awesome "Verisäkeet" were the first one I thought of. But assumingly they are so well known
that they aren't new to you.
But "HEart of the Ages" by In The Woods... may be an album you haven't heards of. Have a try - it's fantastic! ;-) (though not sounding trad. folky...)

Oh, while writing this I seee you only speak of "folk", so you mant purely folk music? If so then "Urminnes Hävd - The Forest Sessions" by Månegarm is sth you will
possibly enjoy. "Vredens Tid", "Vargstenen" and "Nattväsen" also by Månegarm are the albums to go if you want passionate, non-kitsch folk metal, too.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:50 pm 

Quote:
Oh, while writing this I seee you only speak of "folk", so you mant purely folk music?

Oops, I meant folk metal, my bad. I'll look into those bands though. I haven't listened to that particular Moonsorrow album or Borknagar, though I was aware of them.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:38 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Quote:
Oh, while writing this I seee you only speak of "folk", so you mant purely folk music?

Oops, I meant folk metal, my bad. I'll look into those bands though. I haven't listened to that particular Moonsorrow album or Borknagar, though I was aware of them.

Sent you a pm bro, but forgot to mention Alda "Tahoma", what a stunning release, I got the cassette demo from the band, awaiting a cd release, check this album out now guys, its fantastic!

Spirits
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:48 pm 

Have anything like Primordial? Something that's subtlety folkish?

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:21 pm 

I find the new Demoniz to have a semi-Primordial feel. Instrumentation wise anyway.

On the subject of primordial, I am looking for more songs, or albums, that have the feeling of their song 'Heathen Tribes' It is my favorite song in this style and a little strange for this generally less upbeat band. Something about the Very emotional, but proud, feeling it conveys hits me everytime I hear it. So far that song is very unique in this field. Anything out there that reminds you guys of this song? Listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkEwokis-O4

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:53 pm 

Hmm. Odd, I don't actually know any Primordial. (I need to check them out because that song was great.)
If you ask me, though, the only band I can think of off the top of my head is Mael Mordha.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:19 pm 

just saw that finally Piarevaracien got their 2nd album released :)
Being a big fan of their debut I can't wait to get my hands on it. Going to find a shop for it right now.
So, anybody in for some great pagan/folk/slightly black with a touch of Gods Tower... check them out!

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:14 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
with a touch of Gods Tower...

speaking of whom, they've apparently got a Fireblade'esque* album coming out this month!

*new release of old material.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:01 am 

Erotetic wrote:
grauer_mausling wrote:
with a touch of Gods Tower...

speaking of whom, they've apparently got a Fireblade'esque* album coming out this month!

*new release of old material.

I like that "Living Mirror" is on this, since that's about the only Gods Tower song (before this album) I was never able to track down in a physical format. I wasn't too impressed with the samples I heard from the CD, but I'll still buy it if I find it somewhere.

And a new Piarevaracien album? Fantastic!

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:45 am 

samekh wrote:
And a new Piarevaracien album? Fantastic!

Yes, great, isn't it :) ? Only found a russian shop ( http://shop.coyoterecords.ru/index.php ) selling it but apart from a currency change button everything
is in russian and I don't know how to order there :/
Anyone knowing a european shop or at least a site in english language?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:29 pm 

Hey guys, I'm looking for some folk in the vein of Manegarm and some black/folk in the vein of Falls of Rauros, Nazgul, Wyrd, Lemuria. Thanks!

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:46 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for some folk in the vein of Manegarm

I think your best bet here is mid-late era SuidAkra. Caledonia is a great album, very similar to the likes of Manegarm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz8EfkS4KK0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ-4-tALTbw
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:48 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for some folk in the vein of Manegarm and some black/folk in the vein of Falls of Rauros, Nazgul, Wyrd, Lemuria. Thanks!

I don't know much about the whole viking metal thing, and I may be way of, but try some Forefather.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Forefather/781

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:20 pm 

MrFister wrote:

If you haven't listened those bands, you should really check their stuff!

that list has a remarkable and conspicuous absence of anything from Eastern Europe. so, I'll add these:

Arkona [Аркона], Pagan Reign, Tverd', Svarga [Сварга], Kalevala [Калевала], Alkonost, Chur [Чур], Nokturnal Mortum, SatanaKozel [СатанаКозел], Nomans Land, Kamaedzitca [Камаедзіца], Litvintroll [Литвинтролл], Weeping Twilight, Natural Spirit, Graj [Грай], Balkandji [Балканджи], Nevid' [Невидь], Temnozor [Темнозорь], Marțolea, Rarog [Рарог], Žalvarinis, Vicious Crusade, Butterfly Temple, Dalriada, Hromovlad, Oprich [Опричь], Slavland, Stribog, Leshak [Лешак], Znich [Зьніч], Piarevaracien [Пярэварацень], Drygva [Дрыгва], Gods Tower, Troll' Gnet El' [Тролль Гнёт Ель], Nasledie Vagantov [Нaследие вагантов], Bucovina, Brezno, KerecsenSólyom, Viter, Oskord, WelicoRuss.

hell, I may as well supplement the Western European list, too...
Svartsot, Heidevolk, Vintersorg, Falkenbach, Månegarm, Bran Barr, Mithotyn, Finsterforst, Isengard, Skald (Swe), Yggdrasil (Swe), Grimm (Hol), Forefather, Black Messiah, Furthest Shore, Suidakra, Primordial, Mael Mórdha, Folkodia, Skálmöld, Heljareyga, Winterdome, Schandmaul, Nachtgeschrei, Bifröst (Aut), Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, Kampfar, Wyrd, Excelsis, October Falls, Nachtfalke.

...I trust someone will come along and add the best of Canada/USA/Mexico/Brazil/etc. in due course :)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:48 pm 

Good lists, but yeah you how the board (and me, as well) dislike these...Discussion is preferable. Also Asmegin is not there :nono:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:28 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Good lists, but yeah you how the board (and me, as well) dislike these...Discussion is preferable.

it seemed a tad pointless to reiterate what has already been stated in other threads (e.g., 'and thiiiis one is pagan black, and that one is folk black, and thiiis one is folk black from Slovakia, and on and on and on. -- I try to be more descriptive when someone has requested information, in the hopes it will help them decide where best to begin, but in this instance--where it was merely my compulsion to prevent people from acting as though Scandinavia is the be-all-end-all of folk metal--it didn't seem important.

Metantoine wrote:
Also Asmegin is not there :nono:

apparently I've heard so little of Ásmegin that I didn't even realize their first album has Solefald's vocalist!

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:56 pm 

Forefather are all right, not digging the vocals much though. I typically like some harsh vocals in my folk.

Krav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:55 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
Forefather are all right, not digging the vocals much though. I typically like some harsh vocals in my folk.

Try a different album. I'd say Steadfast. They have plenty of harsh vocals, but they're on some albums way more than others.

Dux_Saxoniae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:27 am 

Krav wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:

Try a different album. I'd say Steadfast. They have plenty of harsh vocals, but they're on some albums way more than others.

Seconded - Forefather's recent albums (Steadfast, Last of the Line) have both harsher vocals and a much more polished production, definitely worth a second look.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:03 pm 

Erotetic - Damn, nice Eastern European list...got about 16 of my favorite bands there.

...For a recommendation I request a rather simple one...I'm looking for music with weird instruments that one doesn't usually find, or doesn't find enough of in folk metal (banjos, digeredoos, tubas....whatever crazy stuff you can come up with).

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:26 am 

Kale bro, I can help you with that

Astaarth, a strange brand of epic black metal from Burgundy. On the album Gloria Burgundia, instruments like the banjo, SPOONS, etc are used. Lots of whooping, clapping etc too. A strange one though and you may hate it. The vocalist is terrible until you get used to it
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:32 pm 

I'd love to give it a try, sounds interesting to say the least :P

phillychease
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:59 pm 

This may be off topic, but are there any good distros that specialize in folk metal?

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:47 pm 

http://www.trollzorn.de/store/

They have a large selection and ship pretty fast.

phillychease
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:25 am 

Slag wrote:
http://www.trollzorn.de/store/

They have a large selection and ship pretty fast.

I have tried there, but shipping gets pricey. Do you know any American distros?

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:21 pm 

The Old Outpost has a pretty fair amount and they're from Canada. Plus it looks like they are having a big sale. I'll have to get some stuff there, as well.

I don't know of and US distros that are specifically for folk metal, unfortunately.

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:47 pm 

Whoa!
I just discovered Forefather. I guess I'm a little late huh? i'm not a huge fan of the genre but they do it quite well. Anybody care to suggest a couple of similar bands.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 42  Next