Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:43 pm 

caspian wrote:
pretty sure I've done some reviews on my first listen, btw 8) Generally crappy eps when I'm really bored. I did one review by a (now deleted) Drone band, in 8 minutes! I was only halfway through the second song :lol:

Didn't you also review a Trivium album after only hearing the single? Ahhh, good times.

caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:02 am 

actually, it was 5 minutes, and I got 8 points for it, that's correct.

That trivium review: wasn't even the single! Just a random song. That was an awful review, though, definitely my worst "review an album without listening to the whole thing" review (and there's a few of 'em!)

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:03 pm 

Caspian, it's not so wrong when it's obviously total shit like Trivium. You get a perfectly good picture of it just from listening to 1-2 songs.

MacMoney wrote:
The requirement is four. Four times. You have to listen to it four times before reviewing. If you listen to it any less, even if you skip a second of silence, it'll be rejected. No questions asked. So four.

Yep, and more than that is overanalysing it.

IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:21 pm 

For me, I usually listen to a record for a full 24 hours, whether that be me hearing it four times or 20 times. With that said, I have to make sure the record consumes me on all levels before I actually site down and try to gather my thoughts in Microsoft Word.

DodensGrav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:42 am 

Since I review with the objective of assembling a magazine and publishing a tangible object, I put a lot of time into the reviews that I write, and consequently, I put a lot of time into the albums that I review. Oftentimes it is not until several months after I first acquire a CD that I begin to write a review for it. I like to listen to it several times initially, then give it space and come back to it after a period of time to see if my initial observations are still valid. While this is not the most expedient and contemporaneous means of reviewing, my goal is not to get my take on an album out as fast as possible to make sure that as many people know what I think as possible; rather, my sights are set on a broader ambition than simply "here's what I think about the latest album right now". I like to think of my reviews as complete in the sense that they capture what I expect that I will feel about a particular album for the duration of time while placing it within a historical context of past, present, and future. It takes a lot more time, but it's more rewarding and contributes more in the long run than a series "here's what I think" one-liners.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:53 am 

Usually 2-3 listens will do it for me. If I can stomach that much ("Holy Creatures Quest" and "American Soldier" were painful enough with one listen).
Last.fm all day long!

vargtorna
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:28 am 

I'm pretty terrible at planning reviews, i.e. "I'll check this out n' review it later"

I usually scan through my playlist til a track comes on and I have a really strong opinion on a very specific aspect of it; then scan through their discog for a general background opinion on the band; also good for comparisons), then listen to only the album I'll be reviewing as I'm reviewing it... Some may see this as lazy, waiting for inspiration to 'strike,' but as most have covered -- everyone's different and reviews are as subjective as they come.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:55 am 

Unifying_Disorder wrote:
This might be a silly, or subjective question, but i've been wanting to review my music collection, and I just want some advice, about how many times listening to something is good before you write a review for it?

Some releases ony a few times other hundreds. But I have to say I want to at least hear a new release 5 times before reviewing. except when I totally and truly HATE it. In that case 3 times is my max ;)

Ex member of Morbert Angel, Napalm Bert, Morbert Saint, Hobbs' Angel of Bert and guest vocals on Morbert Tales and Morbert Visions

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:13 pm 

After one listen I'll know if I have something to say or not. Good or bad. Then it's just a matter of wanting to say it. I don't want to sound like an idiot, or a whiner. I just want to write a review that might be helpful to someone who reads it.

jewk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:35 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
The requirement is four. Four times. You have to listen to it four times before reviewing. If you listen to it any less, even if you skip a second of silence, it'll be rejected. No questions asked. So four.

Best comment ever. :lol:

Megadeth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:17 am 

Confirming that many people only listen once when giving bad reviews is not really a shock when reading some of them.

Often it seems like the reviewers are either disappointed based on expectations or hype, and rush to some judgement, or simply don't like the band and are just listening once to prove that their assumptions are correct.

I also get a feeling that many rate based on what others have rated, simply because they want to affect the overall score or to show how disappointed they are, and not how good the release is.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:34 am 

That's a fairly bold assessment. It undoubtedly happens, but probably not to the frequency you believe, Megadeth. Granted, I'm with you about one-listen reviews being bad logic, but I'm sure at least the core foundation of veteran reviewers 'round this neck of the woods practice a deeper reviewing method than most.

Thrashpit
Last FM

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:03 pm 

I don't think the scores given are "political" in that sense. The moderation keeps out pretty much all counter-reviews.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:20 pm 

Generally it's not good to review based on only one listen, but honestly some albums you kinda can tell you will hate just based on one or two. Do I really need to spend a month lisening to the new Running Wild album to tell it sucks?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:30 pm 

3 is the magic number for me, unless the album is horrible. Then 3 is too much.

EDIT: Well shit, I've already been here, apparently.
Last.fm all day long!

CrimsonFloyd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:13 pm 

I like to listen 6-10 times depending on the density of the album. Some albums need even more listens. Really bad albums might need only 2-3 listens. I would say its virtually impossible to have anything worth sharing about an album after a single listen.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:32 am 

Usually only once or twice. Special cases come up like Agony by Fleshgod Apocalypse where I could not stop listening to the album long enough to review it so by the time I did review it I had listened to it I think 8 or 9 times, or the new Nile album where I intentionally listened to it a second time because I barely remembered anything about it after I listened to it the first time.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2