Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:17 pm 

I don't know, honestly. I don't remember it.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:02 pm 

Given that no one else has suggested a date for the challenge, I think I may as well go ahead and offer the first option. How would July 17-24 sound to everyone? This would work best for me as it gives me maximum preparation and still comes in a week short of me leaving for my vacation. Anyone else have any alternative dates or want to second this?
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:48 pm 

Eh, I'll be out of town for the first few days of that on tour. Not really a big deal though.

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:14 pm 

i guess i could make it.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:20 am 

I could do that.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:23 am 

I have no idea what will be happening, but I guess I'll have some time for it.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:52 am 

The enthusiasm seems to be very lackluster. Is it worth it?

Personally, I'm going to be spending the weekend in the suggested dates at the Tuska Open Air, so I won't be much use. I also know for a fact that at least one regular reviews mod will be there, maybe two. So the dates are not the best possible ones anyway. The rest of the week is not the best possible on the personal level, either, so I think I won't be of as much use as usually.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:40 pm 

Napero wrote:
The enthusiasm seems to be very lackluster. Is it worth it?

Personally, I'm going to be spending the weekend in the suggested dates at the Tuska Open Air, so I won't be much use. I also know for a fact that at least one regular reviews mod will be there, maybe two. So the dates are not the best possible ones anyway. The rest of the week is not the best possible on the personal level, either, so I think I won't be of as much use as usually.

Would a week earlier or a week later work better for you? I'm not set on doing this particular week, I'm just floating a trial balloon. I'm also open to the end of August when I get back from Bucharest if that works better.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:38 pm 

Late July onward is best for me since I'm still at the looney bin until the 12th or 13th of July. The dates hells_unicorn suggested work fine for me.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:19 pm 

Doesn't work for me as I am in exam week then but maybe I can scrape something up. Not a big deal to me though.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:45 pm 

How about July 31-August 7?

I've been picking up some CDs that have no reviews, so this needs to happen. :wink:

Obligatory Last FM Link

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:29 pm 

I used to love doing these, I think I did like 6 in a row or something.. but now... I have no creative instinct or desire to try to write something worthy of being accepted. I don't know if I have it in me anymore, we'll see.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:47 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
How about July 31-August 7?

I've been picking up some CDs that have no reviews, so this needs to happen. :wink:

I just spoke to my fiancee yesterday and I won't be leaving the country until September since the flight rates will be much lower then and the weather will still be relatively warm, so I'm good for this week as well, it will give me some initial prep time on listening to the various albums I've managed to collect. I'm not expecting to break any established records, I'm just going to see if I can broaden my horizons a bit in one quick swoop.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:52 pm 

Seems like an appropriate time with me too. It will give me some time to get hold of new unreviewed stuff and listen to them, as well as get more acquainted with stuff I already own, and maybe trim down my list as it's quite big.

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:57 am 

First week of August is perfect for me, is that the finalized time?

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:14 pm 

KC_Slaanesh wrote:
First week of August is perfect for me, is that the finalized time?

I'm going with this time, and it appears to be the one that works for most, so I think it is pretty well official. All I'll need is confirmation from sistersofmerciless that it will be documented on the statistics page and we're set.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:36 pm 

I'm assuming by the lack of activity on this thread that participation will either be light or non-existent. Regardless to what gets tallied, I'm still going to submit virgins through this week and see what happens. If anyone else wishes to post here, let me know what your stance is on the impending first week of August and if you can't do it, what week would work better.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:40 pm 

Yea, I guess I'm down for submitting a few. Let the games begin, I suppose.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:45 am 

Well, I already wrote to reviews for virgin albums and plan to do some more for free, so count me in I guess...

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:25 am 

I'm going to be in out of town for this week, so I don't have that much time to contribute. Next time around I suppose.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:15 pm 

I'm assuming by the time currently on the archives that the site is now set to Standard Eastern USA time. I've already started writing, but will begin submitting in about 45 minutes, which will hopefully be on time with the opening of the challenge. Hopefully there will be a respectable amount of participation, but regardless, I'm in it even if I'll be going it alone.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:31 pm 

Ok, that's cool. I'll be checking the submissions and generally hammering away at the reviews in the queue in a little bit; I'm gonna take a little break and get on in an hour or so. Maybe writing a bit if the occasion seems acceptable. But yea, let's do this.

Obligatory Last FM Link

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:19 pm 

Alright, update time. I've worked the queue a bit since last night and things are looking good. I'm seeing more virgins deflowered than what I anticipated (intentional, unintentional, who knows, who cares) by hells_unicorn, Nappy, and a few other dudes.

So here's my plan: I've got about two reviews written now that'll submit tomorrow. I have to work early tomorrow and I'll probably take a nap after I get back, but when I do wake up I'll clear most, if not all, of the August 1st reviews and gradually hammer away at the queue. But otherwise this is looking good so far.

Also hells, I was gonna review that Wolverine album. :grr: :P

Obligatory Last FM Link

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:10 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Alright, update time. I've worked the queue a bit since last night and things are looking good. I'm seeing more virgins deflowered than what I anticipated (intentional, unintentional, who knows, who cares) by hells_unicorn, Nappy, and a few other dudes.

So here's my plan: I've got about two reviews written now that'll submit tomorrow. I have to work early tomorrow and I'll probably take a nap after I get back, but when I do wake up I'll clear most, if not all, of the August 1st reviews and gradually hammer away at the queue. But otherwise this is looking good so far.

Also hells, I was gonna review that Wolverine album. :grr: :P

:lol: Oops, hehe. That album was one of my left over promos from The Metal Observer that I finally got around to writing after several weeks. If you write one for it, it still technically counts according to the rules of the last 3 or 4 challenges, and it would be good to get another perspective regardless. I'm trying to pace myself a bit now so my submissions should come in at a more steady rate. Hopefully Noktorn's schedule isn't too busy and he can chime in on this, otherwise it's going to be pretty slim pickings around here, sort of the way it started out the first couple of times.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm 

August 1st is cleared.

Obligatory Last FM Link

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:49 pm 

August 2nd is clear.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:53 am 

Aw fuck, I saw this challenge as a good way for me to get back into reviewing, but I've been working full time and starting to organize moving to Ireland and just haven't been able to find the time. Maybe I'll submit one or two, but damn, I was hoping to be a much bigger help. Sorry guys :(

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:39 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Aw fuck, I saw this challenge as a good way for me to get back into reviewing, but I've been working full time and starting to organize moving to Ireland and just haven't been able to find the time. Maybe I'll submit one or two, but damn, I was hoping to be a much bigger help. Sorry guys :(

It's cool man, we'll do this again at some point, and frankly there is a certain charm in getting back to basics here and just doing this for fun rather than numbers.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:42 pm 

Well, not the best time for reviewing for me actually. I might manage one or two at some point.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:16 pm 

As I wrote well in advance, the time is lousy for me as well. I've managed to submit one so far, by accident, as I didn't realize it was challenge time.

If I want to contribute more, I must resort to the ancient method of bashing something truly lousy. That's always quick.

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:18 pm 

Haven't got a ton of free time this week, but I believe a few of the Greek records I'm writing up will fall into the virgin category, to help the overall effort.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:59 am 

autothrall wrote:
Haven't got a ton of free time this week, but I believe a few of the Greek records I'm writing up will fall into the virgin category, to help the overall effort.

I'm surprised that Rotting Christ album hadn't been reviewed. Then again, I've never heard it :lol:

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:18 am 

i had no idea :( I guess it's not from the 1st to the 8th either, huh. A shame, as I don't really have the time hte next day and a bit to sit down and write some shit.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Byrgan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:53 am 

Got one in. First music review in many months. I guess I got challenged to see if I still have it, ha.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:10 pm 

I'm done. Three... bad timing, bad attitude, and too little time. Well, at least I got something written after a long break, although the first one was accidental.

I have a hunch that the results will be pitiful enough for most people to simply forget this ever took place.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:20 pm 

Napero wrote:
I'm done. Three... bad timing, bad attitude, and too little time. Well, at least I got something written after a long break, although the first one was accidental.

I have a hunch that the results will be pitiful enough for most people to simply forget this ever took place.

Well, I enjoyed myself even though I didn't get anywhere near the individual record. Sometimes you have to just celebrate the fact that you actually got something written, and I'm pleased to see you writing again, even if only a few reviews. As for the bad attitude, it doesn't help much when you've got commies trying to rain on your competition. *joke*

If someone would like to get another one of these together in a couple months, I'm all for it. My intention in finally settling on a time was to get some kind of activity going here. We're back where we started on this one, which is doing it because it's fun and something to do to expand content on this site, that's what it should have always been about from the get go.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:36 pm 

Alright, I'm done for the day. Managed to knock down 30 albums, not bad considering I had very little time apart from today to write and didn't really get around to do much advanced listening. I still have a considerable collection of untapped material so if anyone wants to give this another go in October or November I'm all for it.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:45 am 

....and at that point they realized that no-one had accepted the responsibility to actually calculate the results, nor had anyone contacted the dude with the tools to do that. There was lamenting and gnashing of teeth, and they tore their beards and wailed...

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:18 pm 

Napero wrote:
and they tore their beards and wailed...

I have a feeling this is a causal relationship somehow.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:32 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Napero wrote:
and they tore their beards and wailed...

I have a feeling this is a causal relationship somehow.

Nope, it's a very intimate relationship that apparently suffered a very unexpected case of premature ejaculation. My hope is that all parties concerned can band together and get the next orgy of virgins together and make it something of a more extravagant session of multiple orgasms.

Okay, I need to take a cold shower and get the picture of an overpopulated harem out of my head.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next