* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:48 am 

SweetSilence wrote:
colin040 wrote:
What if you want to play both songs in E and D standard? I don't think tuning your guitar from E to D and vice verca each day is a good idea, is it?

If I wanted to play songs in E standard, I played them in D standard. I don't give a fuck.

True. There are only 2 tunings. Standard and dropped :D

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:13 pm 

Hey guys, i'm planning to buy a new guitar, been playing for almost 3 years now, and i own an Epiphone Special SG, i'm thinking to buy a PRS SE Custom 24, would you say is a good guitar?

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

PillarofModern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:53 pm 

What pisses me off about writing a death metal song is that it's difficult to write a riff that is...
-Good but doesn't sound poser
-Too simple to sound even poser
DAMN

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:10 pm 

Well maybe you should not bother writing death metal cause you don't know what you are doing on guitar.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:15 am 

Anyway, I just bought a set of Ernie Ball strings. Pretty good actually.

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:28 pm 

I'll leave this here
http://www.freejamtracks.com/

~Guest 265319
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:10 pm 

Anyone have any tips for multi-finger tapping? I've been writing a lot of it in GuitarPro lately and I figure that I should actually learn how to play it :-P

Also how do I embed GP files into my posts?

DemonicRiffer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:04 am 

Hey, I've been playing guitar for around two years and am trying frantic disembowelment by CC. Some of my friends told me the tab I'm using isn't accurate. Any idea where I can find an accurate tab? Also, can anyone suggest other songs with similar complex riffing?

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:43 am 

DemonicRiffer wrote:
Hey, I've been playing guitar for around two years and am trying frantic disembowelment by CC. Some of my friends told me the tab I'm using isn't accurate. Any idea where I can find an accurate tab? Also, can anyone suggest other songs with similar complex riffing?

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/c/canni ... r3_tab.htm
That's the tab I used. It's the best one I've found.

DemonicRiffer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:22 am 

@SweetSilence: I checked out the tab. It seems consistent. Thanks!

DemonofDarkness
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:48 pm 

Could somebody recommend me a good distortion VST ? I've tried Amplitube , TH 1 Overloud and some other VSTs , sometimes I could get a good sound from Overloud but it sounded kinda "weak" specialy with palm-muiting .

IvoxAngelripper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:36 pm 

Hey guys
I've been playing guitar since Christ-ass, I have a Peavey Raptor Plus EXP guitar and a Marshall MG10 amp. I've bought a DigiTech Death Metal Distortion pedal. The question is, was it worth it or I dhould have waited 'till my playing improved a little? Yeah, I should have asked BEFORE buying it :P

Naraku666 wrote:
Swedeath>blow job

DemonofDarkness
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:42 pm 

IvoxAngelripper wrote:
Hey guys
I've been playing guitar since Christ-ass, I have a Peavey Raptor Plus EXP guitar and a Marshall MG10 amp. I've bought a DigiTech Death Metal Distortion pedal. The question is, was it worth it or I dhould have waited 'till my playing improved a little? Yeah, I should have asked BEFORE buying it :P

I think it worths because the distrotion of MG amps is pretty weak

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:17 am 

That Digitech pedal is pretty useless for death metal anyway. Sell both and get a better amp :)

IvoxAngelripper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:03 pm 

somefella wrote:
That Digitech pedal is pretty useless for death metal anyway. Sell both and get a better amp :)

yeah, but I think I'll wait a bit longer to change my gear, as I'm not a really experienced guitarist. But anyways, it was a gift, so I shouldn't screw around saying "OMG my amp sux OMG my pedal sux OMG my guitar sux OMG I suck". Though my gear DOES suck -.-

Naraku666 wrote:
Swedeath>blow job

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:26 am 

Haha, no worries. Actually a better idea is to just get a new pedal and run it through the clean channel of the MG. You don't HAVE to wait til you get better before getting better stuff. Having a nicer tone will make playing much more enjoyable and motivate you to practice more. It's not a huge investment anyway

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:56 pm 

Speaking of pedals, I'm considering to get a new one. Right now I've got a metalzone MT 2 which kinda blows. It sounds too digital, (or is it my amp?) and just not vicious enough. I'm planning on playing mostly heavy/power metal stuff, atleast not too extreme stuff but have no idea what to buy. Could anyone help me out? Price doesn't matter that much.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:14 pm 

Man, the metalzone seems pretty popular, everyone has one but wants to change it :D I hear the modded ones a re cool though, Joel Grind used the Keeley mod through a Fender amp(lol) to record An Overdose Of Death.

EHX Metal Muff, or Line 6 Uber Metal, your 2 best (and cheap) options :)

Reginald
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:17 am 

Line 6 products always sound like shit to me, personally. EHX make some good stuff, though. What amp are you running through? Solid state?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:20 am 

Reginald wrote:
Line 6 products always sound like shit to me, personally. EHX make some good stuff, though. What amp are you running through? Solid state?

Most of the amp sims in the POD series are kinda lame, this pedal is different though, sounds killer and allows for a lot of variety.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:13 am 

So I have a few questions about pedals, these may seem like noobish questions since I don't really know all that much about this stuff. Right now I'm playing an Ibanez Gio through a line 6 ax2 212, I use a Digitech death metal for distortion and a Digitech RP50 pedal for effects.

I'm looking to replace the RP50 because this happened to it........
Attachment:
pedal.jpg

I'm looking for a multi effect pedal that can produce good tones (for doom/sludge, thrash, and death), sound good with the digitech death metal, and of course not have any problems like the picture above. As far as price range I'm looking for something under $200 (I don't think I need anything that advanced yet).

If anyone has any advice or comments it would be much appreciated.

Last edited by MortalScum on Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Menschenfeindlic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:51 pm 

If you liked your RP50 then go for the RP255....I have one,it's very versatile....the distortion might be not the best out there, but the other effects (chorus\flanger\tremelo...) are really good.
I don't how would it sound with the digitech death metal, but it can simulate one...the rp255 is good for doom and thrash metal, but I didn't try it for stuff that require high gain such as death metal and sludge.
and that picture of the rp50 isn't showing.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:39 pm 

Sorry about that, the pic should be showing now. And I'll definitely look into that RP255, and I'm also curious of what people think of the Digitech RP90, Zoom G1XN, and Zoom G2.

IvoxAngelripper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:04 pm 

I have a really newbish question: what does "making a riff based on a scale" mean?

Naraku666 wrote:
Swedeath>blow job

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:21 pm 

IvoxAngelripper wrote:
I have a really newbish question: what does "making a riff based on a scale" mean?

Playing a riff that's on a scale, but like individual notes, much like Artillery did or Necrophagist (lol).

Not a lot of power chords, or none at all, even.

IvoxAngelripper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:01 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
IvoxAngelripper wrote:

Playing a riff that's on a scale, but like individual notes, much like Artillery did or Necrophagist (lol).

Not a lot of power chords, or none at all, even.

So, if a scale is:

Code:
E|------------------------2-3-6--|
B|-------------------2-3-5-------|
G|----------------3-4------------|
D|-----------2-4-5---------------|
A|----1-2-4-5--------------------|
E|-2-3---------------------------|

A riff based on that scale would be:

Code:
E|-------------------------2-3-6-|
B|-------------------------------|
G|-------------------------------|
D|-----------2-4-5--2-4-5--------|
A|-------------------------------|
E|-2-3--2-3----------------------|

right?

Naraku666 wrote:
Swedeath>blow job

Fortifiv3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:36 pm 

^
IvoxAngelripper, you are correct. Metal guitarists (and musicians in general) use scales to make melodies/riffs. So if somebody tells you a riff is based off the B minor scale, you know that the riff uses notes in the B minor scale. You can use certain types of scales to get certain sounds/moods. Metal almost always uses the minor scale.

A_Cryptic_Sage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:21 am 

Hey everyone, this might have been answered in past posts, but alas, I am too lazy to check. Anyways, does anyone have some tips on playing black metal guitar? So far I have tremolo picking down and I can play some pretty grim sounding riffs, but does anyone know how to play black metal without being in pain after a couple of minutes of playing? Its always in my hand that fingers the fret board. Maybe I'm holding it wrong? Also, what are some scales to play, to be a little more technical. Thanks.

awheio
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:48 am 

What is painful about playing it? Cramps, or fingers "wearing down"? I don't play traditional black metal, I guess, but BM seems much easier on the hands than, say, death metal... My impression is that your hand tends to linger in the same places longer in BM, particularly in the atmospheric sub-genres. In terms of scales... I think you can go a long way with just the harmonic and melodic minor scales. The minor 6th is favorite interval for metal, and going between fifths and minor sixths can make for some pretty easy, albeit simple, riff construction... Sorry for not being too helpful though -- many others are bound to be much more knowledgeable.

A_Cryptic_Sage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:43 pm 

awheio wrote:
What is painful about playing it? Cramps, or fingers "wearing down"? I don't play traditional black metal, I guess, but BM seems much easier on the hands than, say, death metal... My impression is that your hand tends to linger in the same places longer in BM, particularly in the atmospheric sub-genres. In terms of scales... I think you can go a long way with just the harmonic and melodic minor scales. The minor 6th is favorite interval for metal, and going between fifths and minor sixths can make for some pretty easy, albeit simple, riff construction... Sorry for not being too helpful though -- many others are bound to be much more knowledgeable.

No, you helped some. Ha. How do you hold the neck though? I was always taught to grip the back with your thumb, as to pinch the notes in a way.

IvoxAngelripper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:12 pm 

^
You're holding it OK, maybe your fingers are too straight when fretting notes?

Naraku666 wrote:
Swedeath>blow job

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:22 pm 

Maybe you are using an excessive amount of pressure when fretting the notes and/or your guitar is too low and putting your hand and wrist at a bad angle.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:13 pm 

I always pinched the neck with my thumb, too. I know some guys who cradle it with the inside of their hand. I always found that to be....unnatural. But to each his own.

Slinging the guitar too low can make playing difficult. I know everyone wants to look cool and have the thing hanging at his ankles :)

But it's much easier to play when the guitar is slung higher.

SashaGallant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:51 pm 

I have a quick question regarding feedback. On live videos of Eyehategod, you can see Jimmy Bower moving his hands up and down the fretboard to produce different feedback sounds. I tried doing the same thing, holding the frets down and just putting my fingers over them like a harmonic, but that didn't do anything but mute the feedback, anyone know how to do this? Also, how do you get the feedback to instantly come out? Whenever I try to make feedback, it takes a second or two to build up.

Thrashedtofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:08 pm 

SashaGallant wrote:
I have a quick question regarding feedback. On live videos of Eyehategod, you can see Jimmy Bower moving his hands up and down the fretboard to produce different feedback sounds. I tried doing the same thing, holding the frets down and just putting my fingers over them like a harmonic, but that didn't do anything but mute the feedback, anyone know how to do this? Also, how do you get the feedback to instantly come out? Whenever I try to make feedback, it takes a second or two to build up.

Fuckloads of distortion, high volume, poorly shielded electronics and putting your guitar in front of the speaker all help

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:54 am 

Or, you could be using an already fucking noisy(in terms of feedback) guitar, and using a noisegate to mmute it. Step on noisegate pedal, remove gate, instant feedback :D

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:27 pm 

Can someone please give me a bit of help here? I've always had problems with timing and usually just played by sort of feeling the music, not consistently counting like I probably should have. Recently, I purchased a metronome and I've been counting everything and trying to make my timing perfect. What do you guys do when you're counting something ridiculously fast, say 220 bpm or faster? Say the song's in 4/4, do you just count 1 2 3 4 and don't worry about putting the ands in between? How about for 16th notes or 32nd notes? Counting every note just isn't practical or even possible in these situations. You can't count 1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a at 220, but sometimes you really need counting to stay precise when you're not playing straight 16th notes all the way through a measure. What do you do at these speeds?

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:56 pm 

zzerk wrote:
Can someone please give me a bit of help here? I've always had problems with timing and usually just played by sort of feeling the music, not consistently counting like I probably should have. Recently, I purchased a metronome and I've been counting everything and trying to make my timing perfect. What do you guys do when you're counting something ridiculously fast, say 220 bpm or faster? Say the song's in 4/4, do you just count 1 2 3 4 and don't worry about putting the ands in between? How about for 16th notes or 32nd notes? Counting every note just isn't practical or even possible in these situations. You can't count 1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a at 220, but sometimes you really need counting to stay precise when you're not playing straight 16th notes all the way through a measure. What do you do at these speeds?

You count "1" for every 4 or even 8 notes. 16 is just too much.

So like, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, ONE
1,2,3,4,5,6,7, TWO

Or 1,2,3, ONE
1,2,3, TWO

Really easy, actually! It comes naturally for me. Hope that helps.

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:56 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
zzerk wrote:

You count "1" for every 4 or even 8 notes. 16 is just too much.

So like, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, ONE
1,2,3,4,5,6,7, TWO

Or 1,2,3, ONE
1,2,3, TWO

Really easy, actually! It comes naturally for me. Hope that helps.

That's what I was thinking. It's the only practical way. Thanks.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:27 pm 

imspazzen wrote:
Anyone have any tips for multi-finger tapping? I've been writing a lot of it in GuitarPro lately and I figure that I should actually learn how to play it :-P

Also how do I embed GP files into my posts?

There's two basic ways to approach this. One, you could do the Reb Beach thing and tap up a scale using your middle and ring fingers. Say your playing E minor, you would play patterns of four per string. Start on the a string with a pull off using your tapping finger, hammer on from e to f# and then g, then tap with your middle finger on the 12th fret to produce a d, and pull off onto the next string with your ring finger. It's a nice, smooth way of using more than one finger to tap.

The other way is start with chromatic tapping passages on one string. Tap a fourth above a note on the high e string with your pinky finger, and the with your left and right hands go down one fret at a time, switching tapping fingers each time. This is a good starting point, try doing it across strings too if possible.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next