Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FuckHerWhenSheBleeds
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:36 pm 

I like it cold, grim and atmospheric: Immortal, Mayhem, and all that shit. Now, what's some awesome American (non-Skandinavian) material? Remember, I'm looking for atmospheric and cold sounding black metal that is still (emotional and) hateful; I can't stand that war metal bullshit that only consists of blasting and bad riffing. I'd prefer mid-tempo material. I've got a lot of European shit here, but what's up with American black metal?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:40 pm 

There is no cohesive US scene or style. A lot of different USBM bands that sound completely different from one another. Although it sounds like you're just looking for a US band playing the norwegian style so I'm sure you'd love Judas Iscariot.

FuckHerWhenSheBleeds
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:46 pm 

Yeah, I've already checked out Judas Iscariot, and it's pretty much what I'm looking for. I'm just looking for American black metal that deserves some attention.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:49 pm 

There's a ton of it that deserves attention, in my opinion, but most of it is not of the cold and atmospheric variety. Wind of the Black Mountains, Grand Belial's Key, and Havohej's Dethrone the Son of God, specifically.

Actually fuck it I know exactly what you need: Pagan Hammer. This is as atmospheric as it gets. Certainly a cold and isolated feeling.

FuckHerWhenSheBleeds
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:58 pm 

Thank you, man. Sounds good. I'll check it out. If you know some more, keep it coming, guys.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:01 pm 

Early and mid-era Judas Iscariot fits your bill. The first is very Darkthrone-esque, after that they solidify a more personal sound. Always high quality. Not much to say because JI speaks for itself by being one of the premiere black metal acts in the world.

I Shalt Become's first two are a kind of dreamy, dreary re-imagining of Burzum without sounding like anything before or since. I'd call it cold and atmospheric, but I think most people would find it too bleak to be particularly enjoyable. The third and fourth come off a bit less hostile and alienated, and a bit more yearning and tragic, and finally the new one is heavily classical music influenced and runs the full gamut from winsome, to violent, to mournful, to darkly adventurous and finally to a kind of tragically triumphant crescendo mirroring the Pyrrhic victory that is life itself. Yeah, I'm into ISB, and you should be too. :)

Lunar Reign's first album is a very rough edged slab of ITNE worship, but in my humble estimation EXCEEDS that classic in its sheer alien occultism and cosmically adventurous spirit. Their second is an extremely professional mix of modern styles. A nice mix of death, black, and heavy metal riffs in a smoothly flowing black metal compositions with just enough little wonky bits thrown in here and there to keep you just slightly off balance. I highly recommend this unfortunately obscure band.

Finally, Blood Cult and Tjolgtjar. To be honest, these are highly idiosyncratic of my personal taste and they are not widely appreciated and don't really fit your request, but I'm obligated to mention them in all rec threads, so there you go. Blood Cult mixes 80's black metal with 80's heavy metal and 70's occult jam rock (at their best ["Goat Riders in the Sky", "We Who Walk Behind The Rows", "We Are The Cult Of The Plains"], at their worst ["The Hellfire Curse", "The Black Oath of the Blood Cult"] they are 80's black metal mixed with 80's grindcore). Neither style is bad, but obviously they are best at their most rockin'. Tjolgtjar, masterminded by the same guy is early 90's black metal fused with at different times 70's rock'n'roll ("Ikarikitomidun, Lord of the Forest") or a heaping helping of Motörhead in every spoonful ("Midnight Mindtrip"), and sometimes they just jam ("I Am A Wolf"). ALL of these styles are great and ALL are fully endorsed by me! If you are into black'n'roll, or find any of those descriptions enticing, you cannot go wrong with these bands! Of course, if you want a black metal fans black metal, stick to Judas Iscariot and Lunar Reign. There's nothing to lose and EVIL to gain!

Seconding Wind of the Black Mountains and Havohej. Grand Belial's Key not so much. :(

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:53 pm 

I was very impressed with Battle Dagorath's newest release "Ancient Wraith". Sounds very much like the better bands in the German scene.

Also, Krohm is one of the best black metal bands to ever emerge from America. You won't be disappointed with any of his releases.

Fanisk is, in my opinion, very under appreciated/unknown. Very epic, dark material.

Demoncy is a must, particularly "Within the Sylvan Realms of Frost" and "Joined in Darkness", 2 of the darkest, most morbid albums ever recorded.

Finally, I suggest you check out Anu's "Opus Funaerum" and Black Funeral's "Empire of Blood".

Do not, under any circumstances, listen to wolves in the throne room. That shit will shrink your balls and give you AIDS.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:21 pm 

Fanisk can't seem to help but come off a bit goofy. Not exactly overwrought, but not exactly not overwrought either.

DraakUla
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:58 pm 

Xasthur?
I Shalt Become: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvBwuLbgOUc
And I love Ceremonial Castings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znroc4SHoos

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:57 pm 

Torture Chain - Mountains of Hate

KazolOrajia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:20 pm 

Altar of Plagues

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:31 pm 

Definitely check out Autolatry. Newer band from Connecticut. Their first full length is awesome.
http://autolatry.bandcamp.com/

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:05 pm 

Draugar is a good one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzJc25GYNXM

You may like Weakling. I have to agree with those that find it boring though. I like the first track a lot but not so much after that. I know a lot of people like them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CSXC6Xj ... re=related

Demoncy is one you may like. They have been around for a while and play fairly raw black metal that reminds me of Beherit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6uPaU-P ... re=related

Krieg may be a bit obvious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY0LAn9m ... re=related

Typhus is quite cold and atmospheric.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUzt9Wt0pKU

:edit: Inquinok is a symphonic black metal band in the vein of Emperor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NsBy0636BI

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:39 pm 

KazolOrajia wrote:
Altar of Plagues

Altar of Plagues is from Ireland, silly. Still worth checking out if you're into the American band Wolves in the Throne Room.

Also, Absu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzuSYA8mGtQ
An epic band that uses Mesopotamian and Celtic mythology in their lyrics.

Westvargr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:54 am 

Early Nachtmystium:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EGK0JgcrBI

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:24 am 

Has anyone mentioned Leviathan? One of the best fuckin BM bands anywhere let alone America and very original and unique but true to the genre.

Metalmeistermms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:56 am 

Inquisition is pretty good. They're originally from Colombia, which also counts as "american", but I consider them US anyway. I absolutely love the latest album (Ominous Doctrines....) which has the best production yet. Very later-Immortal (At the Heart of Winter and beyond) sounding, but a bit more "evil" and less "frostbitten" if that makes sense. Lots of mid-paced material as well, so it should fit what you're looking for.
Awaiting our reign

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:18 am 

December Wolves are pretty good, i only listened to one of their albums but its pretty good stuff(first black metal album i ever owned was Blasterpiece Theatre by them got it for free though)

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:22 am 

Metalmeistermms wrote:
Inquisition is pretty good. They're originally from Colombia, which also counts as "american", but I consider them US anyway.

Rereading the OP, it appears that he means American in the sense of it being the American super-continent. Don't know why I assumed he meant the US!

Inquisition is seconded. :)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:47 am 

Regardless of what you're asking for if black metal is the subject Inquisition is always the answer. I sort of assumed he was up on them already. Although I would definitely suggest starting with the debut. The new one is a lot more concise and has some very powerful songs but that debut is just chock full of atmosphere and killer riffs. Prefer the rougher production by a good margin.

Damn I really need to check out Tjorlgjlktlar. You always make them sound like it'd be right up my alley.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:35 pm 

Amazingly, a lot of people just don't know about Inquisition. From what I've seen, they kill live, their albums kill, their image kills, their lyrics and song titles kill and their devotion to Satan is true. They have no appreciable flaws. All that needs to be done is to get the word out on them whenever possible.

And yeah, definitely check Tjolgtjar out (yes, I can spell it from memory :)). Go for the three I mentioned, that covers pretty much all the styles they go for. The earlier stuff isn't as good as the later stuff, they've definitely improved over time. Also, the previous albums tend to be more simplistic, not bad, but I'd say they are just now really hitting their stride and have fully grown into themselves (same goes for Blood Cult). Can't wait for the coming releases (there's three or so albums just sitting on the shelf, waiting for a label because life sucks).

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:40 pm 

Even their demos fucking slay, albeit in a totally different style of music. Dagon seems to just be one of those infallible characters that metal produces from time to time. And you're right I really enjoy that almost every song is a love poem to Satan but it never comes off as sounding ironic or feigned.

I was probably going to just start with the 5 Keys compilation for the sake of ease but I may end up getting all of the used stuff I can find. I definitely like what I'm reading about Sabbathy and NWOBHM riffing going on.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:22 pm 

Sorcier Des Glaces fits your criteria to a T. Both records (and the coming one) are concept albums about the cold wintery northland, and its all full of atmosphere and melody and whatnot. It's better than I'm able to creatively describe it atm.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:25 pm 

Malthus wrote:
Do not, under any circumstances, listen to wolves in the throne room. That shit will shrink your balls and give you AIDS.

This. Also, avoid Kvlt of Azazel and Imperial Crystalline Entombment if you're not into Marduk-ish brainless blasts and bad riffing, like you said.

I'd highly recommend Avichi and Unholy Trinity. Both are underground, fuzzy and rather reminiscent of second wave European black. Even though they don't really push any boundaries, they're good at what they do and they provide enjoyable listens. Teratism is another option in this respect. Weakling is a relatively well known band that released a very interesting full-length album. The 5 tracks stretch over some 70 or 80 minutes and it is very versatile and creative in its own way. There's a pretty harsh review here on MA for that release, but I can't say I agree very much with that.

These bands meet your criteria in my opinion, but you could of course experience them differently.

EDIT: You could try Vpaahsalbrox and Yamatu as well. I haven't gotten round to listening to those bands for quite some time but I remember I found them both pretty interesting. Not sure whether they'd fit your criteria entirely. Vpaahsalbrox will fit them most, I think.

Bestialdamnation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:02 pm 

If you like Demoncy or Beherit, check out "Von". Check out their old shit as their reunion shit is an abomination.

You might like Negative Plane's Et In Seacula Seaculorum which is good Mercyful Fate inspired occultish BM with some Celtic Frost & Mortuary Drape influence as well. Stear clear of their new album though, Stained Glass Revelations, as it's uninspired hipster garbage.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:40 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Metalmeistermms wrote:
Inquisition is pretty good. They're originally from Colombia, which also counts as "american", but I consider them US anyway.

Rereading the OP, it appears that he means American in the sense of it being the American super-continent. Don't know why I assumed he meant the US!

Inquisition is seconded. :)

I've never heard of just America referring to anything other than the United States.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:47 pm 

America encompasses all of North and South America. The word is also commonly used to refer specifically to the US. Both are legitimate, widely used meanings.

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:30 pm 

I haven't seen any recommendations for Thralldom yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbBpqMSc ... re=related

Also, check out my fellow Tennesseeans in Chaos Moon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThoUd70PtAY

Of course, I can't help but spam my own band.... Tennessee's one and only DSBM project, Nyarlathotep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IOlZ9k_JiA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMhojcOilxs

Dark_Insanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:57 am 

Malthus wrote:
I was very impressed with Battle Dagorath's newest release "Ancient Wraith". Sounds very much like the better bands in the German scene.

Also, Krohm is one of the best black metal bands to ever emerge from America. You won't be disappointed with any of his releases.

Fanisk is, in my opinion, very under appreciated/unknown. Very epic, dark material.

Demoncy is a must, particularly "Within the Sylvan Realms of Frost" and "Joined in Darkness", 2 of the darkest, most morbid albums ever recorded.

Finally, I suggest you check out Anu's "Opus Funaerum" and Black Funeral's "Empire of Blood".

I've just discovered Krohm myself and I can 2nd that opinion. I've ordered The Haunting Presence album.

Why don't you like Wolves in the Throne Room?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:32 am 

They are the black metal equivalent of Rank One's "Airwave".

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:01 pm 

Dark_Insanity wrote:
Malthus wrote:

I've just discovered Krohm myself and I can 2nd that opinion. I've ordered The Haunting Presence album.

Why don't you like Wolves in the Throne Room?

Over-hyped feminist metal band that every crusty/anarcho leftist scum punk in my city thinks is the greatest band in existence.

slaytanic66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:21 pm 

KUlt Of Azazel
Ritual Combat
Ibex Throne

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:05 pm 

Disregard the Wolves in the Throne Room hate; they're quite an excellent band. More so than Tjolgtjar or Krieg, both of which are rather mediocre, in my eyes. I also second the Leviathan mention; you really can't go wrong with any of Wrest's digs, even though some of the bands he shares split-albums with are pretty shit (Blackdeath being the most notable example).

I also recommend Deafheaven and Petrychor. Because they're sexy.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Last edited by theoctavarius on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:52 pm 

theoctavarius wrote:
Tjolgtjar... rather mediocre

:annoyed:

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:02 pm 

Cobalt is a good USBM band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSmZHAYH2WM

Gonna second Grand Belial's Key. Probably my favorite black metal band, great stuff.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:51 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
They are the black metal equivalent of Rank One's "Airwave".

That's a fucking awesome analogy. :D

~Guest 69485
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:10 am 

Nightbringer is pretty good. They have a good deal of mid-tempos and their style is consistently dark and dissonant, almost to a tedious fault, but you may like them if your looking for that kind of thing. They can wear you down though, so I tend to think this band is better in doses.

Also, seconding...
Negative Plane is very unique and just flat-out amazing and Sorcier des Glaces is an awesome recommendation. I love that band, especially their first album Snowland

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:46 am 

Since Krallice hasn't been mentioned I may as well add them. Very cold black metal with a fair bit of repetition from a Burzum influence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAIa7D69 ... re=related

Reply to topic