Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mentalendoscopy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:29 pm 

The reviewer "Dark Belial" has written several reviews lately, but they all link back to one review he wrote about a year ago for a band called Artch. Does anyone know what this problem may be?

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:50 pm 

mentalendoscopy wrote:
The reviewer "Dark Belial" has written several reviews lately, but they all link back to one review he wrote about a year ago for a band called Artch. Does anyone know what this problem may be?

Reported.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:16 am 

With adding miscellaneous roles to albums (Engineering, Producer, Mixing, Mastering, etc), are we expected to remove those details from the additional notes, too...? Like the same way we remove band member role info from the additional notes once they've been added to the line-up properly.

Just feels a bit strange editing out half of the production details like this:
Quote:
Engineered by Ward Kuzcynski.
Mixed by Henk Jansens and Black Shepherd.
Recorded Summer 1987 at Harry's Studio, Berg, Belgium.

Cover art by Igor Dint.

To this:

Quote:
Mixed by Henk Jansens and Black Shepherd.
Recorded Summer 1987 at Harry's Studio, Berg, Belgium.

Just wanted to ask and make sure I was doing the right thing. :oh shit:

[Edit: Album in question, BTW:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Bl ... ssion/8279 ]

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:25 am 

Alhadis wrote:
With adding miscellaneous roles to albums (Engineering, Producer, Mixing, Mastering, etc), are we expected to remove those details from the additional notes, too...? Like the same way we remove band member role info from the additional notes once they've been added to the line-up properly.

Just feels a bit strange editing out half of the production details like this:

If it simply says, for example, cover art by Artist X, and you have already added Artist X to miscelaneous staff as cover artist, you can remove that. But if there is any additional info, like "Mixed and mastered by Artist Y at Z studio in January 2011", that should be left in the additional notes.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:51 am 

Yep, that's what I thought. Any line that won't fit into a line-up (mixed by {BAND_THEMSELVES} and Line-up Member at Studio XYZ, etc) I've left intact, even if one of the mentioned members was already added.

I have, however, paraphrased certain lines like this:
Mixed and recorded by Nora Nitoff at Bergen Studios, Italy (2008)
To:
Mixed and recorded at Bergen Studios, Italy (2008)

... while Nora Nitoff was added with the appropriate roles to the line-up. That's acceptable too, right?

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:35 pm 

I will try to explain this in a simple way, I added a band (currently in my draft), then I wanted to add the line-up, I found that the members are already added although the band is not in the archives and not even in the band's queue (I checked the band's queue). I don't know what's the problem maybe it got rejected before and the members are still added? Or maybe it's in the draft of someone else also?

It will be nice if we could search the queue using the search engine.

Rainer1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:12 pm 

I think it would be helpful if in the line-up section you could add played with dates before the year of band creation. While this is not going to be used much it would be helpful for bands like Metherra who have a creation date that is when the band changed names and that under the old name don't merit their own page. Thank you, Rainer1.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:49 pm 

GraveWish wrote:
I don't know what's the problem maybe it got rejected before and the members are still added? Or maybe it's in the draft of someone else also?

Yeah, maybe.

Quote:
I think it would be helpful if in the line-up section you could add played with dates before the year of band creation.

You can always change the year in which the band was created and add something in the additional notes like "Before the band became know as X, they went under the name of Y but never recorded anything under that name."

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:23 pm 

I don't know if I requested this, but why don't we have band statuses like label statuses (green for active, red for closed, etc)?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:39 pm 

Dexter_prog wrote:
I don't know if I requested this, but why don't we have band statuses like label statuses (green for active, red for closed, etc)?

Hm, if the colour-coding should be applied there as well we would need five distinct colours. That could be less distinct than the three types for labels. I don't know, maybe nice, but I find the current system clear enough.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:44 pm 

I like the idea. The colors wouldn't be too hard to figure out:

Active - Green
On Hold - Yellow
Unknown - Orange
Split-up - Red
Changed Name - Blue.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:32 pm 

I do not get this 'changed name' thing of the label sites:
http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Ps ... cords/1115

Would it not be appropriate to have an additional field:

now known as:
http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Wy ... sycho/3187

edit:
tried to edit this:
http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Ps ... cords/1115
and got this error:
Quote:
Notice: Undefined index: 4 in /home/metalarc/webapp/models/Label.php on line 193

aside from this, you have a foundation date, but no expiration one; which is important in case of a name change.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by oneyoudontknow on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:32 pm 

Derigin wrote:
I like the idea. The colors wouldn't be too hard to figure out:

Active - Green
On Hold - Yellow
Unknown - Orange
Split-up - Red
Changed Name - Blue.

Is there a chance to get country flags as well?

My podcast:

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:00 pm 

Just curious, will there be an artist search function in the future? I like that idea by itself, but I particularly wish for the ability to search for bands with female singers.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:59 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Dexter_prog wrote:

Hm, if the colour-coding should be applied there as well we would need five distinct colours. That could be less distinct than the three types for labels. I don't know, maybe nice, but I find the current system clear enough.

I don't know, maybe:
- Active: green
- Changed name: darker green
- Unknown/on hold: amber
- Split-up: red

I still find think that the status gets lost bellow the location for some reason.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:33 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/You ... 3540328512 is a dead URL. I got there from within the site. The artist name shows up on search results, for example if you search "classical" in the genre field, or " you* " under artist name.

Wasn't sure where else to report this, since there obviously isn't a page for the artist.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:36 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
aside from this, you have a foundation date, but no expiration one; which is important in case of a name change.

Already requested.

Quote:
Just curious, will there be an artist search function in the future?

Probably.

Quote:
The artist name shows up on search results, for example if you search "classical" in the genre field, or " you* " under artist name.

I've just tried to search for "you*" and he's not there.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:35 am 

When searching for artist (to add to a lineup) could we have away to also limit the search to countries and or bands. For example, bands that retardedly (?) list their members as (e.g.) "Tom". Suppose this Tom also plays in Douchebag Band (which I don't know) and he is from a not so common country like Latvia, but since he's got like the most common name in the world, the search results list 200 Toms. So, maybe we could solve that by searching something like "Tom Latvia" or something like that.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:09 pm 

Small bug(?): http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... 3/show/all

Dexter_prog wrote:
When searching for artist (to add to a lineup) could we have away to also limit the search to countries and or bands. For example, bands that retardedly (?) list their members as (e.g.) "Tom". Suppose this Tom also plays in Douchebag Band (which I don't know) and he is from a not so common country like Latvia, but since he's got like the most common name in the world, the search results list 200 Toms. So, maybe we could solve that by searching something like "Tom Latvia" or something like that.

I second this. One can sort artists by country, but nevertheless this would ease things.

Haat888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:49 pm 

Little comment about artists

I've noticed that artists from rejected bands appear in the artist list (I reported them as they appear as orphan entry), it's not normal ..

Isn't it possible that they also get deleted from the artist list when a band is rejected?

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:00 am 

How do I search user collections?

Mieresch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:31 pm 

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but there's a minor problem with splits, or at least, this split:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Al ... est/254274

Now if you look at the members, Fursy Teyssier, plays with Les Discrets, but he's assigned to Alcest, and there's no way to change that, because the only band in the drop-down list is Alcest.

Secondly, there's Winterhalter. Now, he plays in both Les Discrets and Alcest, so how could we add him to both bands on the split?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:40 pm 

IdiotFlesh wrote:

You can't, AFAIK.

dust666 wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but there's a minor problem with splits, or at least, this split:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Al ... est/254274

Now if you look at the members, Fursy Teyssier, plays with Les Discrets, but he's assigned to Alcest, and there's no way to change that, because the only band in the drop-down list is Alcest.

Secondly, there's Winterhalter. Now, he plays in both Les Discrets and Alcest, so how could we add him to both bands on the split?

Those are known problems. For now, just add some clarification in the additional notes.

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:51 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
IdiotFlesh wrote:

You can't, AFAIK.

There is "See who owns/wants this album" option in "Tools" menu of the releases if that is what he wants to search.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:06 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
Quote:
The artist name shows up on search results, for example if you search "classical" in the genre field, or " you* " under artist name.

I've just tried to search for "you*" and he's not there.

Really? He still shows up when I search. Try searching "classical" for music genre...Yousei Teikoku should be the last result.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:26 am 

Dexter_prog wrote:

Actually, there are only 80 "Tom". The other results have surnames.

That's such a low priority request that I won't even bother requesting it at the moment.

Quote:

I've changed their name to "Now" and then back to "Nów", and it looks like the problem is gone.

Quote:
I've noticed that artists from rejected bands appear in the artist list (I reported them as they appear as orphan entry), it's not normal ..

Isn't it possible that they also get deleted from the artist list when a band is rejected?

Nope, because the user might re-submit the band after it got rejected. In the future we'll create a list of orphan artists who are at least two weeks old or so. That'll help us keep track of all orphan artists that should be deleted.

Quote:
Really? He still shows up when I search. Try searching "classical" for music genre...Yousei Teikoku should be the last result.

Oh, "Yousei Teikoku" is a band, not an artist. Yeah, i can't access the band's page.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:30 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
Dexter_prog wrote:

Actually, there are only 80 "Tom". The other results have surnames.

That's such a low priority request that I won't even bother requesting it at the moment..

It was a random example, I was looking for a Latvian musician who was probably in many other bands but was only listed by his first name. The names were Vlad (89 results) and George (384) There were like 10 pages of results, but if you'd rather have 700 Vlad and Georges that's fine by me. Not being able to at least sort by country is pointless to me.

Last edited by Dexter on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:33 pm 

Disregard if the following was already addressed:

When adding line-ups to splits, one has to assign a band for every artist added, even if the said artist is a misc. staff member. That's not always correct (e.g. cover artists), so you might consider adding a blank line in the split's bands dropdown menu. Driven by this logic, it's also hypothetically possible that a certain misc. staff member could do some duties (say, mixing) for more than one band in a split, so maybe having a "+" thingy for the split's bands couldn't harm, although I didn't run into this occurence yet.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:36 am 

This is something that has come up in both the "Why was band X deleted/rejected" and the "Why was band X accepetd" thread but might be a good one to consider as a feature for the whole site:
Can we delete the side project rule?
For the old site it was useful for the purposes it had but with the new site, where every bandmember has his/her own artist page this whole side project rule has become obsolete. This is of course because a side project of one artist can be mentioned on his artist page either under "active bands"; "past bands"; "guest/session" or under "trivia". Musical cooperation can also be mentioned there. Only side-projects which are metal in style can be kept alive in the new version of the site I would think!

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:15 am 

Dexter_prog wrote:
It was a random example, I was looking for a Latvian musician who was probably in many other bands but was only listed by his first name. The names were Vlad (89 results) and George (384) There were like 10 pages of results, but if you'd rather have 700 Vlad and Georges that's fine by me. Not being able to at least sort by country is pointless to me.

There are only twenty "Vlad" and fifty "George". Anyway, just a "sort by" option should be easy to do, so I'll request it.

Quote:
Can we delete the side project rule?

No.

zervyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:43 am 

hm, I dont know if you also noticed this:

The other day I saw that Caroline Campbell, current keyboard player of Cradle of Filth, used to be just a Live member in 2010. I noticed that she was added in both lists, as a current member and as a Past Live Member. I didnt see nothing wrong with that, but unfortunately, this method seems to go wrong with musicians that are in more than 1 band, like James McIlroy, current guitarist of Cradle of Filth, used to be just a Live guitarist in 2009. Therefore, he is added in both lists, as a current member and as a Past Live member. But if you go to one of his other bands, he is marked as an ex-member of cradle of filth. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Cha ... 3540268288

So, I think it would be a good idea to fix the system in order to avoid the addition of "current members" to a "past live members" list, or, in the other hand, the system should be fixed to not show these musicians as ex-members in the other band's profiles.

deadhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:02 pm 

I'm not sure if someone noticed, but I can't add the release to my collection and trade list at the same time.
So there's no chance (if someone has duplicates) to add them to both groups

Last edited by deadhead on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ralfman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:13 pm 

Hello,

Just added a label called "No Label Records".

First the site asked for a confirmation, so far, so good. Then when updating the label's info i had to put an "_" so that the changes could be saved.

It simply woun't let me save the label page with the name "No Label Records"...

Selling:
https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... 9&t=119265

sofeshue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:39 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Se ... r/O/251187
This single album, as well as the first track, is entitled 0 (zero), not O (letter). But when I tried to modify them, I got an error message: Please enter all the song titles. If a track really is untitled, write "-" (minus the quotes). Obviously MA does not allow the title to be simply 0. How can I solve this issue?

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:52 pm 

just something i came across then, not sure if this is intentional or not. but when viewing reviews for a band, and then sorting them by author, the sort is case sensitive i.e. all authors whose username starts with a capital are at the start, while those with lowercase letters at the start are at the end. personally i would think that this shouldnt happen, and the case of the first letter have no impact on sorting

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:21 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Erevos/Descensus_Ad_Inferos/303288
lyrics of GROTESQUE BLASPHEMY (SLAUGHTER PT.1)
http://www.metal-archives.com/release/view/id/303288/songId/2123505#2123505

What has happened there? I only see questions marks.

My podcast:

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:28 am 

zervyx wrote:
The other day I saw that Caroline Campbell, current keyboard player of Cradle of Filth, used to be just a Live member in 2010. I noticed that she was added in both lists, as a current member and as a Past Live Member. I didnt see nothing wrong with that, but unfortunately, this method seems to go wrong with musicians that are in more than 1 band, like James McIlroy, current guitarist of Cradle of Filth, used to be just a Live guitarist in 2009. Therefore, he is added in both lists, as a current member and as a Past Live member. But if you go to one of his other bands, he is marked as an ex-member of cradle of filth. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Cha ... 3540268288

Reported.

Quote:
I'm not sure if someone noticed, but I can't add the release to my collection and trade list at the same time.
So there's no chance (if someone has duplicates) to add them to both groups

Reported.

Quote:
It simply woun't let me save the label page with the name "No Label Records"...

That name is probably blacklisted. We'll have it fixed.

Quote:
This single album, as well as the first track, is entitled 0 (zero), not O (letter). But when I tried to modify them, I got an error message: Please enter all the song titles. If a track really is untitled, write "-" (minus the quotes). Obviously MA does not allow the title to be simply 0. How can I solve this issue?

I've already reported that a while ago.

Quote:
What has happened there? I only see questions marks.

As you can see in the modification history (timestamp 2011-04-11 10:11:44), dagongr added those question marks.

ralfman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:23 pm 

Hello,

Labels again.
Wanted to add this label , Real Gana Records ( http://www.realgana.com/ ), but i cant ... (on the recently added band , Cast A Fire)

Selling:
https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... 9&t=119265

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:36 pm 

Everytime I click the link to the new iron savior review it sends me to a review for Artch that was written back in may. Clicking the band link next too the review name works correctly. I am on my android cellphone right now and I did not notice this with other reviews.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:04 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... /show/mine

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 65  Next