Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
nasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:37 pm 

caspian wrote:
besides, Jon and Daenerys are pretty much destined to marry for a large amount of reasons.

*spoiler, kinda*

Have you heard for theory Jon is son of Eddard's sister and last Targaryen king? That would be so typical, Targaryen marrying another Targaryen. :lol:

HellBlazer wrote:
Well... there has been some heavy hinting. But I guess I won't post unconfirmed information here and get people's hopes up.

Let me guess, December 21st 2012? :D Well, at least I know what I'll be doing on the apocalypse day, reading Martin, hope I finish it before apocalypse reaches me.

It's probably his idea of metal. That Black Sabbath and Trouble stuff doesn't have enough gangsta giving the finger.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:41 pm 

nasum wrote:
Have you heard for theory Jon is son of Eddard's sister and last Targaryen king?

naah, you think :| :P

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

RZris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:56 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
I don't think that's really it. They're taking it one season at a time, sure, but the studio is showing a lot of confidence in the series. They've already started a bit of pre-production work of the second season. I think "Game of Thrones" is just a better brand name from their perspective. It's true that "A Song of Ice and Fire" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I doubt they'll change the name for future seasons, for the same brand awareness reasons.

Also, please be careful of spoilers. Most people in the thread have probably read the books, but still, it's easy to just put a warning.

there's a lot of confidence and then there's being too full of themselves and i feel that they felt that would be the case if they named it the full title instead of going book by book, they didn't want to get peoples hopes up to far only to fail later

and if you really think about it, Game of Thrones is essentially a title for the whole series considering that's what the books revolve around so far, the Game of Thrones for the iron throne, we've yet to see the true Song of Ice and Fire (battle beyond the wall)

though really this is all just silly speculation, it could be called "hey, i want more money by GRRM" and i'd still watch it at this point

&i'll try to be more careful, like now

*SPOILER*

one of the things i'm most interested to see in the books is what Qyburn was cooking up with Gregor's body, that's gonna be BRUUUUU-tal

holyrebels
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:33 pm 

nasum wrote:
Helpful and useful info regarding the 4th and upcoming 5th book

Thanks man, I didn't know any of this. Now that I know HOW to approach the 4th book I'll probably appreciate it more.

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:44 am 

Hopefully it's done well. Game of Thrones, as a standalone, is still one of my favorite books ever, but I've come to think that George RR Martin is a lazy, useless fat fuck. I'll wait until he's released the last book in the series to read another one of his books, and I think the chance of him releasing all seven before he dies of some obesity-related illness is small to none.

But I digress.

This should make a hell of a TV show, so I'm sure I'll get around to watching it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:43 pm 

Goddammit you morons, can't you read?
Morrigan wrote:
This thread is about the HBO series, not about your complaints about GRRM. :annoyed:

Go bitch to someone who cares. I've had, and heard, the same complaints for 5 years now. It's getting really annoying.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:37 pm 

2 newish trailers, similar to the previous one but with different footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWIyCUHrESk
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/03/game- ... w-trailer/

Aaaand a cool scene you could unlock by playing some online puzzle game (hints to the puzzle are found here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDtsYjNV0eI

:)

(And to curtail the inevitable complains... READ IT AND REJOICE!)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Last edited by Morrigan on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:39 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
(And to curtail the inevitable complains... READ IT AND REJOICE!)

Thanks Morrigan, now I have to change my pants. :(

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:06 pm 

Hehe, the trailer looked awful, but I'll probably still check out the show in the hopes that it'll be somehow good.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:48 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, the trailer looked awful

lolwat

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:25 pm 

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:37 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, the trailer looked awful

lolwat

Maybe "awful" was a bit extreme. It looked like a trailer trying hard to make a relatively disappointing show look grand and absorbing.

Still, the only thing that matters is whether or not the show actually turns out to be good, trailers be damned. I'll give it a chance! I'd like to be pleasantly surprised. And god knows a televised version of this story is the only one I'll be able to stomach :lol:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:11 am 

I, personally, have never heard about this series until I saw this thread. I hope they do a good job with it. Or at least, I hope they dont just film four episodes of it and then quit making it.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:31 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I hope they dont just film four episodes of it and then quit making it.

This is not on Fox. HBO already filmed the whole first season.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:15 pm 

New Maester's Path "reward" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQshrvRIZg

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Reginald
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:07 am 

I don't believe the series can be done justice, truthfully.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:25 am 

Reginald wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PxLidxnAE8

i think it can be done very well, this trailer is awesome!! HBO never disappoint

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:32 am 

I just watched the above trailer... whoa. I've never read these books but I've got close friends who are huuuuuuge huge rabid fans and they've been nothing but enthusiastic about both the books and HBO's rendition. Welp, looks like I've got a couple more books to add to the already enormous List...

RZris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:12 pm 

Reginald wrote:

NUTS TO YOU, MY FRIEND....look for disappointment, it will find you

Metantoine wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PxLidxnAE8

i think it can be done very well, this trailer is awesome!! HBO never disappoint

holy shit there's an OTHER!

all these new videos/news justifys my hope, CAN'T WAIT

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:51 pm 

HBO showed a sneak peak of the first 14 minutes of the series yesterday.

I have to say I do not like the changes they made to the prologue scene at all. Of course, changes have to be made in a TV adaptation, but these seem to alter the character of the Others, and acting out of character is definitely not something I want to see at any point. Anyway, that's just a tiny part of the series of course. On the other hand, the scenes with the Starks were just spot on; I don't think we have anything to worry about from a casting perspective. Also, Arya will steal the show.

Rustneversleeps
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:59 pm 

Yeah, what was up with the little girl Other... as for the other shots, I hope they don't relegate them to the status of mere zombies with frosty swords (and superhuman speed) which it kind of looked like.

The beheading scene was all kinds of badass though. :beer: HBO :D

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:23 pm 

Yeah, I wasn't too into the changes myself, but then there will always be changes and honestly the preview left me more excited than before. It just feels like ASoIaF, like the opening scene with the Wall.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:38 pm 

that was awesome, the actors were great, can't wait for the rest

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:28 pm 

Rustneversleeps wrote:
Yeah, what was up with the little girl Other...

She was a wight, not an Other. The Others were the inhuman creatures with the ice swords and the voices that cracked like ice. They turn dead people into wights with blue eyes, which that girl was.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Rustneversleeps
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:37 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Rustneversleeps wrote:
Yeah, what was up with the little girl Other...

She was a wight, not an Other. The Others were the inhuman creatures with the ice swords and the voices that cracked like ice. They turn dead people into wights with blue eyes, which that girl was.

Bah I need to sleep more/reread a lot of stuff evidently. That makes an infinite amount more sense, thanks for pointing that out. Okay, my enthusiasm has been renewed (again) today.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:45 pm 

And? I'm going to watch this tonight, should make this miserable Monday somewhat bearable.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:35 pm 

Is there anyway to watch the show online? I do not have HBO :ugh:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:57 am 

ralfikk123 wrote:

torrent man....

GmT_Curwen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:22 am 

I liked the chapter, very faithful to the book and the acting wasn't bad.
My only complain... the soundtrack, it's boring and it sucks.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:39 am 

Metantoine wrote:
ralfikk123 wrote:

torrent man....

Holy shit man thanks for reminding me of that :D I looked on tpb and they actually have a shitload of it, even in HD. I guess I know what I'll be doing today

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:16 am 

Watched the first episode last night, I liked it well enough. It felt a little rushed maybe, as if it was trying really hard to get all the main characters established as quickly as possible. I wonder how well people who haven't read the books were able to keep up. As for the acting, most of the main characters were quite good, and with these sorts of series it usually takes the actors a few episodes at least until they start to really inhabit the roles. Luckily Peter Dinklage was excellent as Tyrion, who is my favorite character from the books.

Slats
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:12 am 

As someone who hasn't read the books (although I plan to start after I finish rereading LotR), I had to watch it twice to really understand what was going on. I have nothing to compare it to but I think the show's great so far.

Third_of_the_Storms
Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:53 am 

I didn't really care for it, to be honest. Most of the casting was terrible, there were very marked differences between the characters in the book and the way they were cast. They did get Viserys right though; what a sniveling self-important worm. :D

nasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:24 pm 

I just watched first episode and it was quite good. Characters do not completely match their counterparts in books, but I guess that's necessary difference to make it TV series - all characters look too old, from Stark children to Starks themselves , Lannisters and a king himself. I got impression from books that most of characters are between 30 and 40 years old, here they all look like they're in 40s or 50s. Kids got older of course, I doubt you could find really good 7 year old boys to play Bran or 11 year old girls to play Sansa.

Slats wrote:
As someone who hasn't read the books (although I plan to start after I finish rereading LotR), I had to watch it twice to really understand what was going on. I have nothing to compare it to but I think the show's great so far.

There are many more characters. :P
You only saw Starks, Lannisters and Targaryen, you still have to see Martells, Greyjoys, Tullys etc. and bunch of other characters.

It's probably his idea of metal. That Black Sabbath and Trouble stuff doesn't have enough gangsta giving the finger.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:35 pm 

Well I watched it now and I am hungry for the next episode. I did not read the books (I plan on checking out the first one tomorrow) but I'm having trouble with distinguishing all the characters. I think I'll re watch the episode.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:56 pm 

go see the website, it will help you with the different houses and yes read the books (but not the two at the same times, it will waste your fun)
http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/insi ... apers.html

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:00 pm 

I must say I enjoyed the episode. Kind of expected more though, but hey it's just the first episode. The acting is pretty good, kind of shady here and there but nothing too big, and the storyline is already intriguing. At least to me anyway. When it comes to understanding what was going on, I gotta say I didn't have that much trouble. It did take a little of bit of thinking and pondering, but I got it pretty quick. I'm currently re-watching the episode, and I hope the series gets better in the upcoming episodes. I suppose the music isn't anything special, but I don't think it's as bad as someone else has mentioned. I can already tell though, I'm gonna like Sean Bean's character a lot.

One thing I'm wondering though, will the book 'Game of Thrones' be covered in this first season, or will it take more to cover the book? Have they said anything about this?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:56 pm 

The first season covers the first book.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:04 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
The first season covers the first book.

So I'm assuming there will be 4 seasons?

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:09 pm 

Agree about the weak soundtrack and the characters looking too old. I didn't watch any previews for this, but I was surprised by The Others; I thought of them as looking like yetis although I thought they did a decent enough job.

Looking forward to them getting a lot of character introductions out of the way and getting to the real meat of the story. I'll probably watch it again tonight as I really wasn't feeling good last night and was slightly out of it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next