Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:50 pm 

---------
EDIT: Sorry, getting rid of no posts bug..

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:06 pm 

MasterpieceMesias
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:12 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
CannibalKid wrote:
Can anyone explain in detail how to do the high-pitched shrieking that Seth Putnam from Anal Cunt does? Or the high screams that Corpsegrinder and Blue Jensen from Guttural Secrete do?

Most of my screams naturally sound like those, actually. Might be because my voice hasn't fully dropped yet, though. I'm not sure if this will help, but try this, as it's basically how I do it: open your mouth wide and exhale in the highest pitch you possibly can. If you constrict your throat a little bit you'll give the exhale a rasping quality (note: I've been doing it for two years now and it has yet to wreck my voice, so I suppose it's okay). Now raise the volume - i.e. go into a pure "yell", so to speak - and you should have it.

I've always been good at hitting highs of all sorts; I used to be able to hit the highs from Job for a Cowboy's <i>Ruination</i> but I've lost the natural ability, due to puberty most likely. :( (Then again, the screams on that album are edited in the studio, so that makes me feel a bit better, knowing I was able to make a noise with my voice that an actual vocalist had to edit to reach.)

I tried doing just that and my vocal chords were dry and unable to death growl as low later on, lolz maybe my voice just wasn't meant to scream?

MasterpieceMesias
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:31 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
CannibalKid wrote:
Can anyone explain in detail how to do the high-pitched shrieking that Seth Putnam from Anal Cunt does? Or the high screams that Corpsegrinder and Blue Jensen from Guttural Secrete do?

Most of my screams naturally sound like those, actually. Might be because my voice hasn't fully dropped yet, though. I'm not sure if this will help, but try this, as it's basically how I do it: open your mouth wide and exhale in the highest pitch you possibly can. If you constrict your throat a little bit you'll give the exhale a rasping quality (note: I've been doing it for two years now and it has yet to wreck my voice, so I suppose it's okay). Now raise the volume - i.e. go into a pure "yell", so to speak - and you should have it.

I've always been good at hitting highs of all sorts; I used to be able to hit the highs from Job for a Cowboy's <i>Ruination</i> but I've lost the natural ability, due to puberty most likely. :( (Then again, the screams on that album are edited in the studio, so that makes me feel a bit better, knowing I was able to make a noise with my voice that an actual vocalist had to edit to reach.)

wait a minute, how do you know Johnny Davy's voice was edited for sure?? just curious

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:41 am 

MasterpieceMesias
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:46 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
MasterpieceMesias wrote:
wait a minute, how do you know Johnny Davy's voice was edited for sure?? just curious

Because the band sucks ass on live shows. :P

haha!!

boprobe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:38 pm 

MasterpieceMesias wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:
MasterpieceMesias wrote:

Because the band sucks ass on live shows. :P

haha!!

this always bugs me. I am an engineer and there's seriously no way to "edit" vocals to sound a certain way. people just say this cuz they get butthurt that another vocalist can do something that they cant. As far as editing goes, all you can really do is add distortion, which is audible, and mix out some of the muddy frequencies. that's IT. There's no autotune for harsh vocals. Don't use "oh they just use effects" as an excuse to not practice to get as good as the people who you are intimidated by. ok rant over

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sky-Acord ... x_3&ref=ts

Blog:

http://grindblaster.blogspot.com/

MasterpieceMesias
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:33 pm 

lol I actually knew someone who recorded black metal vocals and pitch shifted them higher. . . twas odd indeed

boprobe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:16 pm 

MasterpieceMesias wrote:
lol I actually knew someone who recorded black metal vocals and pitch shifted them higher. . . twas odd indeed

ok, given, that's pretty dumb haha

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sky-Acord ... x_3&ref=ts

Blog:

http://grindblaster.blogspot.com/

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:13 pm 

EDIT: The video was gonna get taken down by WMG again, so I decided to just pull it altogether.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:52 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8-Xk24PwrU

It returns.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

CaioNlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:38 pm 

How i can single gutural and screaming ? like Norther and somethings like that...
I'm trying but , i don't know how to start...

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:48 am 

the sigh of frustration mate, the sigh of frustration. its your best friend when learning to death growl. at least like the way i do it. when you sigh frustratingly, you feel that rumble in the bottom of your throat, and thats how i growl. sounds similar to mikael akerfeldt of opeth or charles elliot of abysmal dawn

Thrasher4life
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:52 pm 

Does anyone know how to get the low husky tone that lemmy has? Without the years of drug abuse and drinking.

Svyatogor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:54 pm 

Subrick wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8-Xk24PwrU

It returns.

Huh? :o

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:32 pm 

I've finally figured out how to force the air out using my abdominals, but i can't seem to figure out how to make it not hurt unless i'm belting it, like at a show. Any tips?

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Stormalv
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:21 am 

Does anyone know how low you can actually go with your voice, physically? I know Ville Valo can hit that ridiculously low B, you can hear it on the song Venus Doom, it's insane. Do you have to have a bass voice to be able to do that, or can you train your voice that low? Currently, the deepest note I can hit is an E, but it used to be a G before I started training my voice to go deeper.

yamanick92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:14 pm 

i'd love to be able to pull a dan mongrain esque... whatever the hell he does. any suggestions on how to approach that?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:46 am 

Stormalv wrote:
Does anyone know how low you can actually go with your voice, physically? I know Ville Valo can hit that ridiculously low B, you can hear it on the song Venus Doom, it's insane. Do you have to have a bass voice to be able to do that, or can you train your voice that low? Currently, the deepest note I can hit is an E, but it used to be a G before I started training my voice to go deeper.
With vocal training even a tenor can hit low notes, but the quality of voice will be quite bad with anybody but those who are so inclined. This might not hurt in pop music when low notes are used just for a special effect, and the singers in pop are often not actually good singers anyway (they are often trained to manipulate their voice so they can perform cool tricks with their voice to impress people, but may not have received proper training and are propbably more often than not misusing their voice anyway). So, if you don't care about the quality of the note, with real training you, too, can hit very low notes. Ville Valo probably catches those low notes easily thanks to his excessive smoking. :P

According to wikipedia, the low extreme for bass (lowest male voice) is around C2 (which is just above the B you meant). Then there's that Tim Storms guy who allegedly sings C0 (inaudible to human ear). Again according to wikipedia, in Opera, the lowest that basses sing is D2, which is the low D of a drop-D tuned guitar.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 pm 

Thrasher4life wrote:
Does anyone know how to get the low husky tone that lemmy has? Without the years of drug abuse and drinking.

Practice! At the end of the day it's still a growl of sorts, just a very clean one. If you are clean singer, try going harsher, bit by bit. If you are a harsh singer, go the opposite way.

Or you could know you're going to loose, and that gambling is for fools but that is still the way you like it because you don't want to live forever.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Misty_Lake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:31 pm 

Is there a difference between singing and shouting? Whats the difference between technical skill with singing, and shouting with pure intensity? I like don't consider a singer any musician that is a vocal accompaniment, I consider a singer someone who actually hits notes. Do metal singers use air from the diaphragm instead of from the chest or a tensed throat voice? Do most of them use glottal attacks?

Did Chris Thompson study the classical method of breathing and use it to sing rock?

Wodhlud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:10 pm 

Misty_Lake wrote:
Is there a difference between singing and shouting?

Yes.

Quote:
Whats the difference between technical skill with singing, and shouting with pure intensity?

This differs from person to person, and it is largely dependent on the type of music you're singing. If you're singing second-wave Black Metal, for example, you're going to want a singer with alot of stamina. That's an example of technical skill, because then you've trained up your lungs to your singing style.

Quote:
Do metal singers use air from the diaphragm instead of from the chest or a tensed throat voice? Do most of them use glottal attacks?

What kind of metal are we talking about?

Misty_Lake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:02 pm 

Wodhlud wrote:
Misty_Lake wrote:
Is there a difference between singing and shouting?

Yes.

Quote:
Whats the difference between technical skill with singing, and shouting with pure intensity?

This differs from person to person, and it is largely dependent on the type of music you're singing. If you're singing second-wave Black Metal, for example, you're going to want a singer with alot of stamina. That's an example of technical skill, because then you've trained up your lungs to your singing style.

Quote:
Do metal singers use air from the diaphragm instead of from the chest or a tensed throat voice? Do most of them use glottal attacks?

What kind of metal are we talking about?

I'm referring to most metal singers either thrash, death, or black metal artists or clean prog and power vocalists, or both. Do they all actually use proper singing technique? or do they just scream their nuts off with their glottals? Singing lessons and vocal training teach you not just how to sing from the diaphragm but how to control your breath. Proper singing requires little tension.

Diclonius
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:30 pm 

I´ve been searching for a technique or exercise to keep the raspiness of my voice for the mid.high notes, my vocal style is in the vein of Tom Angelripper shouting and raspy screaming (like in Fuck The Police, or his work with Desperados and Onkel Tom) and also is similar to Chuck Billy´s style. My voice stays good for like 6 or 7 songs of intensity, but after that it starts to fade and get a bit weak reaching a little higher notes. Any ideas? Also I´m trying to improve my clean singing (wich is really hard because I also play lead guitar at the same time)

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:25 pm 

How do you all practice? I usually just sing along with songs and try to mimic a wide array of vocalists so that I don't end up being a ripoff of some other guy. First I start with gutturals, move up to lows-mids then do some immortal then something a lot higher like Carpathian forest or gorgoroth. I practice for about an hour each day, is this a good routine?

Oh, and of course gotta have dat tea :P

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:48 am 

Commandaunt wrote:
How do you all practice? I usually just sing along with songs and try to mimic a wide array of vocalists so that I don't end up being a ripoff of some other guy.

so you end up ripping off a LOT of other guys :P. kidding, I usually end up exercising my vocals while driving or just bored at the house. sometimes i dont need music (like after drinking a beer or two) and sometimes i'll listen to some music and after i turn it off while its still in my mind, i sound the lyrics, but in a different rhythm or structure. thats just me though

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:53 pm 

The thing I need work on most is building stamina...Does this just come with time? Right now I can only hold a scream/growl for about 5 seconds which makes me idolize those who can scream for like 15 seconds :D Anyway, I tried that thing posted earlier about laying down and breathing for 8 counts etc. Should I do that regularly?

cravingforvenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:30 am 

I am a huge fan of clean vocalists who can shriek like wailers and air raid sirens viz. John Cyriis(Agent Steel), Daniel "John" Miller (Apollo Ra), Mike Soliz(Militia), King Diamond, Midnight(Crimson Glory) and of course Geoff Tate (Queensryche) and I have learned how to do that.

On the other hand there are many vocalists out there who can growl and shriek at the same time. Check out this album "Hammerhead" by an old school speed metal band called "The Unjust". The two ends of the vocal spectrum are demonstrated flawlessly by that vocalist.

cravingforvenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:34 am 

Commandaunt: Take baby steps. The best way to let out a shriek or growl is to take a deep breath and then release. Start with 5 secs, then 10 etc. You dont wanna lose your throat or lungs first up by trying to do a Stace "Sheepdog" Mclaren or Eric Adams :D

Metal_Jesus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:59 am 

So listen to Secretpath, I'm the vocalist of that band...
I can alternate guttural growls and high pitched scream to operatic voice (and I do it live too, of course).

That is easy >>with the right technique<< and doesn't hurt the vocal chords.

The First Time I Died
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:56 am 

I have a nice 4-5 octave vocal range. I can also imitate just about any singer's voice ever. I prefer clean and semi-clean vocals. Though I do harness the ability to do Death Growls and mid-range screams. I cannot perform the higher shrieks characteristic of Black Metal and Post-Hardcore, however.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:05 pm 

I barely started to try singing.

There was this video on Youtube that helped me do Death Growls. (That guy had an amazing speaking voice, btw.)

So now, as a result, I sound almost identical to the vocalist from Unleashed. (Before the Creation of Time)

I want to do a mix of my natural screams + death growls.
Can someone teach me how?

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:52 pm 

I've been singing in a wailing/high pitched Dickinson/Halford/Dio kind of sound for the past two years. I can hit the fallsettos and many shrieks, and also my vocal range is high, however I want to know are there any exercises or ways that I could improve my vocal range?

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

NuttersaurusRex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:08 pm 

Ok so I've been doing vocals for about a year and a half just as a hobby since I'm mainly a bassist and guitarist, and have learned to imitate Trevor Strnad from The Black Dahlia Murder pretty well. I've recently been trying to learn how to do a more mid-low guttural type of sound, like the vocalists from The Red Chord, Misery Index, and The Acacia Strain. I've noticed that I can do it for a few minutes with a great deal of power, but after that my voice gets really tired. There's no pain or raspiness, my voice is just exhausted. I sang baritone in men's chorus and I would compare the feeling to when I would be put on the low tenor part and be singing at the very edge of my range for extended periods of time. There isn't any pain, I'm just over-exerting myself. Does anybody find that there are certain ranges of growls/screams that come easier for them that others, and does anybody think that the range of their voice has any effect on their ability to do harsh vocals in certain styles, or am I just overthinking it?

Dark Belial
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:23 pm 

So, I do power and classic metal vocals, in the stylings of Iron Savior, Dio, and Axel Rudi Pell. I don't have a bad range, I'm at around 2 and a half octaves of capable singing area. The problem is, if I want to go outside of that, I really can't for very long or with much precision. What I'm looking to do is expand my range, but maintain the power of my voice. A great example of this is in the song Highlander by Lost Horizon ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OffF0e2h4TU skip to 10:30 if you just want to see what I'm talking about). I highly doubt that I'll get my range to that extreme, but it's a good long-term goal to have. Anyway, has anyone got any advice on how to go about doing this?

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:29 pm 

Dark Belial wrote:
So, I do power and classic metal vocals, in the stylings of Iron Savior, Dio, and Axel Rudi Pell. I don't have a bad range, I'm at around 2 and a half octaves of capable singing area. The problem is, if I want to go outside of that, I really can't for very long or with much precision. What I'm looking to do is expand my range, but maintain the power of my voice. A great example of this is in the song Highlander by Lost Horizon ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OffF0e2h4TU skip to 10:30 if you just want to see what I'm talking about). I highly doubt that I'll get my range to that extreme, but it's a good long-term goal to have. Anyway, has anyone got any advice on how to go about doing this?

It cracks me up that you refer to that song, specifically. Those are certainly some majestic high vocals. As far as expanding your range goes, my advice would be to try to sing a song that's just a little bit out of your range. (I don't know exactly where your range is so I can't give specific songs but I'm sure you can figure that part out.) Once you're able to sing that song comfortably, find another one that's a bit of a stretch. Repeat this process until you can sing "Highlander."

I know it seems a bit simple but that method will work, given enough time and practice. Obviously, you might reach a physical limit on your voice but I guarantee that you will eventually expand your range as far as it can go if you work hard. Good luck! The world could use a few more Daniel Heimans.

Dark Belial
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:08 pm 

thomash wrote:
Dark Belial wrote:

It cracks me up that you refer to that song, specifically. Those are certainly some majestic high vocals. As far as expanding your range goes, my advice would be to try to sing a song that's just a little bit out of your range. (I don't know exactly where your range is so I can't give specific songs but I'm sure you can figure that part out.) Once you're able to sing that song comfortably, find another one that's a bit of a stretch. Repeat this process until you can sing "Highlander."

I know it seems a bit simple but that method will work, given enough time and practice. Obviously, you might reach a physical limit on your voice but I guarantee that you will eventually expand your range as far as it can go if you work hard. Good luck! The world could use a few more Daniel Heimans.

Thanks, mate! I figured I'd use it as an example of the best thing I could hope for ;D And I agree completely with your last sentence.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:20 am 

ralfikk123 wrote:
I've been singing in a wailing/high pitched Dickinson/Halford/Dio kind of sound for the past two years. I can hit the fallsettos and many shrieks, and also my vocal range is high, however I want to know are there any exercises or ways that I could improve my vocal range?

All of my choir teachers have told me that a good way is to sing a note that is just out of your vocal range. This worked for me, and it goes both ways. You won't gain any octaves or anything, but you'll be able to produce a few more notes than you could before.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

powerwmr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:00 am 

[spam removed]

IvoxAngelripper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:20 pm 

How do the pornogrind/goregrind vocalists sing like that? (Torsofuck, Spermswamp, Cock and Ball Torture, etc.)

Naraku666 wrote:
Swedeath>blow job

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 44  Next