Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:41 am 

I know the causes, but man, they're too numerous to list here (don't get your hopes up either you sick puppy you, it's nothing like child abuse or lack of LEGO or anything astounding like that), bizarrely enough, in this physical fitness thread of all places, lack of exercise is one of the causes for sure.

And on that note, I'm off to vegetate at the local Tex-Mex place.

ThrashDeathDoom
Racist Dick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:09 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
However, I know that none of this is possible without adequate sleep. Eating right and exercising regularly means next to nothing if you're not sleeping enough. Last Sunday night, I only got four hours sleep and I could feel the repercussions all week. While I was still fairly energised, I knew I was fatigued a little. Sleep is vitally important, and probably the most important aspect of feeling healthy.

As someone that gets regular bouts of insomnia, I couldn't agree more. I'm so paranoid about not sleeping and about getting sleep, that it ruins my sleep, if that makes any sense.

Hey man me too. Some nights I just can't stay asleep and it bothers me because I worry about not recovering enough. Especially when this occurs following a day of a hard workout.

I'm paranoid about not eating enough too. I have a fast metabolism and if I don't eat enough I'll burn off weight quick. Which I don't want to do.
YOUUUUUU

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:13 pm 

Oddly enough, a lot of insomnia comes from diet. Honestly, avoid bread/rice/pasta/sweet potato and obviously chips/candy/chocolate/soda, etc within 4 hours of bedtime, and if you get hungry before bed, reach for some nuts as opposed to the aforementioned snacks, or even bodybuilder staples like cottage cheese or a protein shake... See if that helps.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:38 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
I know the causes, but man, they're too numerous to list here (don't get your hopes up either you sick puppy you, it's nothing like child abuse or lack of LEGO or anything astounding like that), bizarrely enough, in this physical fitness thread of all places, lack of exercise is one of the causes for sure.

:lol: Okay, fair enough. Well, as long as you can somehow get through the issues for some regular sleep, then you'll be on your way to feeling healthier.

As it was, I got 10 hours last night, which felt fantastic. I feel adequately rested - too bad I can't get this much every night!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:42 am 

ThrashDeathDoom wrote:
grauer_mausling wrote:
ThrashDeathDoom wrote:
You probably already know I'm going to say this, but push-ups man. Add those in with when you do crunches. Do the exact number of push-ups as you do crunches, divided up the same way, so that it equals the same.

I incorporated push ups in my program. But, man, it's hard *lol* At this moment I just can't do as much push up as I do crunches. So far I'm doing 8x40 (8 different crunch/sit up exercises, 30 sec. pause after two diff. exerc) and only manage to do about 13x10 push ups (always pausing for 30 secs after 10 p-u). Long way to go, I think. But the muscle ache in my breast and upper arms feels good, hehe)

Hey man good job. I do push-ups so much I never feel a deep burn too much anymore, it's depressing.

But yeah, they're definitely alot harder than they look and sound. Everyone can do 10 push-ups in their gym class when you "exercise", but not many can sets upon sets of them. They take a lot out of you when you get into 40+ reps per set. You'll notice you'll be getting alot stronger man, keep at em.

It's easy to plateau with them as you get better at them, and you'll have to mix it up and get creative. there's an endless number of ways to modify the exercise. When they get too easy (itll take a while but they will), try planting your feet on a chair instead of the floor. When that gets too easy, use a higher platform. A wall. Stacked cinder blocks, anything. The higher the incline the more you fight gravity to complete a rep. Modify hand positions... closer together will work your triceps harder and further apart will work your shoulder and pecs more.

Then there's the clap push-up, they're fun lol, but take your wind away fast. They're nice for showing off more than anything :p. Keep up the good work

Sorry - just saw this now (two weeks later...). I indeed feel already a rise in endurance and repititions regarding the push ups. From my 13x10 I switched to 8x20. The last two sets are always a major, major, major, major pain but as the Galaxy Ranger's theme song says: "No Guts - No Glory, No Pain - No Gain" :D

Ok, I got another question and I hope some of you may have opinions/answers on/to this:
is it of any use to split the training unit over the whole day. I know that a constant unit will be better but I wonder if I would also gain benefits (in strength as well as size growth) if I, say, do some sets of push ups in the morning, then in the afternoon again some sets and finally also some in the evening.
Or does my body notice the ending of some sets and says to himself "that's it for today"?

TehPrince666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:59 pm 

I would say your body notices when you use the most energy and saves itself for that time period, I dont think it would hurt to split it up cuz your body would learn to save, also splitting your meals up into smaller portions all throughout the day is good, instead of big ass meals split that shit up.

Crappers
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:10 am 

Quote:
is it of any use to split the training unit over the whole day. I know that a constant unit will be better but I wonder if I would also gain benefits (in strength as well as size growth) if I, say, do some sets of push ups in the morning, then in the afternoon again some sets and finally also some in the evening.
Or does my body notice the ending of some sets and says to himself "that's it for today"?

There's isn't really any need to break it up throughout the day. If you're going to train on a day, train once, and train hard! Train at a high enough intensity that you overload those muscles and then simply focus on recovery until your next session. Assuming you pushed yourself hard enough there's no reason at all to do it again later in a single day.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:41 am 

Crappers wrote:
Quote:

There's isn't really any need to break it up throughout the day. If you're going to train on a day, train once, and train hard! Train at a high enough intensity that you overload those muscles and then simply focus on recovery until your next session. Assuming you pushed yourself hard enough there's no reason at all to do it again later in a single day.

Sure - that is the best way, I know. The thing is that I often come home very late and after being around the whole day I just also have the need/wish to call it a day and put me on the sofa. However, there's always some minutes over the whole day when I could do sth.

very easy example:

getting up from bed in the morning, stretching a bit, doing 4x20 push up. Then getting fully clothed, breakfast etc, then again some push ups.
on a break at work later the day again doing some push-up for a few minutes and later in the afternoon doing so again. So I could have done numerous sets of push up divided over the whole day and still getting my place on the sofa...

(of course there are also days and weeks where time isn't the problem and I do regular, long sets of exercises).

I just want to know if these multiple short units even have an effect or if it's just wasted energy... ?

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:49 pm 

If your goal is to do more pushups, then doing many submaximal sets throughout the day works well for that. It's called greasing the groove.

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:58 am 

Wow! Now I want to go buy some Jordans!

CaioNlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:24 pm 

'm not fat nor thin, and a few weeks ago, I began to practice physical activity 6 times a week, I like to jump, jump 800 jumps usually 6 times a week, but I want to do other things like running and walking again, I will walk again tomorrow! And I have to take care of my health, I am having some chest pains and it scares me a lot so I'm very worried about my health. Somebody could give-me some tips ?

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:10 pm 

If you're worried about your health, you should probably see a doctor. Random people on the internet aren't a very good substitute.

CaioNlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:21 pm 

Yes , are you right.. i don't wanna drink before i getting a better health too...

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:00 am 

CaioNlm wrote:
I am having some chest pains and it scares me a lot so I'm very worried about my health. Somebody could give-me some tips ?

not to be of any medical help but chest pain could be a result from problems with your back and/or spine. At least I had that issue and after seeing a doc who set my bones right, the pain and pressure in my chest was gone.

i mean chances could be that due to going from no training to 6 times a week and doing such a large number of jumps your (sorry) untrained body could have reacted to a wrong move with a dislocation of your spine as such resulting in pain felt in your chest... Not every "back problem" is felt in the back (I speak out of self experienced pain)

Anyway - go to a doctor! Can't do wrong with that ;)

@King_Hands:

Will this "greasing the groove" also do benefits for the muscles' size or is it "only" (which is of course very good to) for increasing the number of sets and repititions?

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:17 pm 

I don't think it would be very good for size gains, because it's less about straining the muscles and more about the neural pathways or some shit like that.

ScorchedEarth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:17 pm 

King_Hands wrote:
If your goal is to do more pushups, then doing many submaximal sets throughout the day works well for that. It's called greasing the groove.

Think I'm going to try that for a few weeks.

defyexistance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:38 pm 

I'm not a fitness junkie, but I lift for about half an hour every day on my small basement setup - a bench with a thing for curls and a pulley thing for lats and triceps. I use Myofusion protein from Gaspari Nutrition.

I'm basically strength lifting, trying to gain weight and muscle mass. Im about 5' 10" and only 145 lbs, so I need to gain some mass before working on toning. This isn't really working though. After about 3 weeks of this, I've only put on a couple pounds. Any words of wisdom?

Also, what do you guys work out to? I usually find myself frequenting the Technical/Brutal death section of my ipod for workouts, but Vomitory can only go so far. I've found that stuff like Human Abstract really can get me pumped for a big bench or a final rep. Any bands/songs I need to know about?
"Our bodies will turn to ashes, our bones will fade to dust, our lives will be forgotten, all our dreams crushed... reality, perception, biased by our egos, mutilated by our superegos, I transcend these for now I am one with the void."-Eclipse Eternal

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:09 am 

The amount of weight you gain is entirely dependent on the amount you put in your mouth. If you want to gain weight, you must eat more. Also, you need to get access to some real weights. Join a gym or buy some better equipment so you can do squats and deadlifts.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:59 am 

King_Hands wrote:
The amount of weight you gain is entirely dependent on the amount you put in your mouth. If you want to gain weight, you must eat more. Also, you need to get access to some real weights. Join a gym or buy some better equipment so you can do squats and deadlifts.

Yep. You gotta eat big to be big.

I often tell my clients:

You're trying to build a skyscraper. You have awesome blueprints (workout program) and great construction workers (you and the effort you put in). If you don't supply yourself with great raw materials (nutrition), it doesn't matter what you do, you won't build a skyscraper. Use shitty raw materials and you'll build a shitty skyscraper. Use the bare minimum of raw materials and you'll build a little skyscraper. Now use great raw materials in abundance, and you'll get somewhere.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:49 am 

King_Hands wrote:
If your goal is to do more pushups

http://hundredpushups.com/

defyexistance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:03 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:
King_Hands wrote:
Now use great raw materials in abundance, and you'll get somewhere.

What constitutes great materials in abundance? I eat plenty of meat, carbs, and fruits/vegetables and have a pretty decent fat/protein intake. How do I change my diet to reflect my goals?
"Our bodies will turn to ashes, our bones will fade to dust, our lives will be forgotten, all our dreams crushed... reality, perception, biased by our egos, mutilated by our superegos, I transcend these for now I am one with the void."-Eclipse Eternal

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:35 pm 

defyexistance wrote:
What constitutes great materials in abundance? I eat plenty of meat, carbs, and fruits/vegetables and have a pretty decent fat/protein intake. How do I change my diet to reflect my goals?

If you aren't gaining weight, it's probably the "in abundance" part you're having trouble with. Eat more.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:51 am 

King_Hands wrote:
defyexistance wrote:

If you aren't gaining weight, it's probably the "in abundance" part you're having trouble with. Eat more.

Yep. My rule of thumb for males is this:

Eat 40 grams of protein every 2-3 hours. REGARDLESS of whether or not you are trying to gain muscle or lose fat. If you are trying to lose fat, eat less carbohydrates during the day and cut them out at least 5 hours before bed. If you are trying to gain muscle, eat 1.5-3 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight depending upon your bodytype.

Plain and simple - If you are eating that much protein and still not gaining weight, then you aren't eating enough carbohydrates.

A_Cryptic_Sage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:13 am 

Do any of you have any advice whatsoever to someone who is 5'7" and 120 pounds. I have only ran X-Country. I can say I am very tough. I'm often the punching bag of my friends, so I have an awesome pain tolerance. I really just want to bulk up. Any suggestions?

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:30 am 

If you want to get big and strong, it doesn't get any better than Starting Strength. Be warned though, if you're going to do it, then do it properly, especially the eating.

http://startingstrength.com/articles/no ... ppetoe.pdf

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:19 pm 

Fuck, I have to run a 10k in a month and all I have run before is a 5k. Is it possible to train in a month to the point where I can just finish a 10k. I can do a 5k without much of a problem.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:23 am 

Did some high endurance shits yesterday for chest:

Inclined bench: 20 reps, with 70lb dumbbells
Inclined flies: 25 reps, 35 lb dumbbells
Flat bench: 20 reps, 80 lb dumbbells
Flat flies; 25 reps, 35 lb dumbbells
Declined bench: 25 reps, 135lb barbell
Declined flies: 20 reps, 30 lb dumbbells

Tossed a medicine ball (15lb) back and forth 20 times, then 10 pushups (3 sets)
While sitting, tossed the medicine ball using left then right obliques, 20 times each side, then 50 side crunches, each side.
While sitting, tossed the medicine ball while ballancing while the legs are held up in the air, each side of the obliques, 20 times. 2 sets of 50 crunches follow.

Right now my friend and I are doing endurance training. We're trying to get to 20 reps of each, but if we feel we CAN get more than 20 reps, we shoot for 25. It usually means it's time to move up weight, so you'll be lifting to the best of your abilities. I probably should have grabbed some protein right after I was done, but I was out. Now I have some muscle soreness, but nothing too bad.
Tip: Chocolate milk and bananas are great for muscle soreness.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:50 am 

reviving this thread now ;)

So, after some months of both home-training & swimming (see my earlier posts here in this thread) I got my problems in the upper back a bit reduced
but still they happened to me every 4-5 weeks.
Ok, about six weeks ago when I again went to my orthopedist for a treatment he finally subscribed me training units in a nearby vital-center. It's
not "just a gym" but offers many different health courses and supervised weight training (free weights and machines). I have to pay a minor amount of money
but the big rest is covered by the health insurance.
For five weeks now I have this training plan two times a week and it works really, really good making me feel stable and painfree like never felt before for years.

(on mondays and wednesdays)
30 minutes endurance/cardieo (bike, stepper, jogging, whatever)
35 minutes sports rehab and spinal exercises
45 minutes weight training for the complete body with a special mark on my back and generally upper torso

This weight training is not so much on building up mass but mainly foucsed on building up muscles which I seem to haven't used for a long time
and as such stabilizing my posture etc. Honestly, I wouldn't mind (in fact I would love) to get also bigger arms faster and do heavier weights but
I guess doing the important exercises correctly makes more sense for me than doing what-not weights resulting in new pain ;)
Anyway -it's great and the "bigger arms" will come just slower. Totally ok as long as my back's fine :)

fridays I do my home exercises (crunches, some dumbbell stuff, push ups) for 40 minutes or so
swimming is now on saturdays and I do my 1500 metres with breast- and back swimming

Seems like I finally found the perfect method for me to keep my back's pain at bay *happy-happy-joy-joy*

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:58 am 

Good work sir! Glad to hear you're improving. I've cut down from almost 350 down to 326. I weighted 326 for a while now, but I'm losing a lot of weight and gaining a lot of my old muscle back. Been doing a lot of high weight/ low rep, I may switch back to endurance soon to shape and tone the new raw bulky muscle that I have acquired. Feel great, wearing clothes I haven’t even been able to look at in years, and the ladies are starting to notice too! ;)

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:52 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Good work sir!

Thanks & cheers ;)

Have to admit that through all the home training before and now in the health/vital studio my muscles surely have grown but
while I'm pretty pleased with my shoulders and breast getting wider/bigger, my arms could (to me) need some more size. But ok,
time and constant training will do their best, I think. Not to forget my diet of much, much chicken and lowfat curd/quark.
(btw - just for completition: I'm 7.28 inch tall and weighing 187 lbs, that is if I correctly converted 185 cm and 85 kg)

I know that heavy weighst with low reps are best suited for size increase but in the studio the physiotherapists rely on "medium" weights with
20 reps (two sets each exercise) to get my "back where it should be". And at the moment all that matters is - painfree, so I will go on
that way for the next time and speak with them in a few weeks to maybe also put an emphasis also on actual muscular size growth, too. SOme
kind of best way for both benefits. We'll see...

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:00 pm 

swayze wrote:
Oddly enough, a lot of insomnia comes from diet. Honestly, avoid bread/rice/pasta/sweet potato and obviously chips/candy/chocolate/soda, etc within 4 hours of bedtime, and if you get hungry before bed, reach for some nuts as opposed to the aforementioned snacks, or even bodybuilder staples like cottage cheese or a protein shake... See if that helps.

This isn't right. Avoid sugar but carbohydrates lead to insulin production which can make you sleepy. Protein on the other hand should make you more awake.

I've felt this in practice. I used to eat cereal for breakfast and shortly afterwards felt like going back to bed. Since I've started eating boiled eggs only, I've had heaps more energy and feel more awake.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:02 pm 

For a while now I've been getting back in shape using the Insanity cardios after an year of inactivity. I feel like I can now hit the weights at the gym starting tomarrow using the Max-OT system. 6-9 Sets of 4-6 Reps. I bought a case of Animal Pak Universal supplements to help with those extra nutrients which my normal food intake will not provide during this serious weight training program. I also got myself a case of Glucosamine/Chondroitin for joint pain I may experience on my left knee due to a skating accident I had when I was a kid. One thing has me concerned though.

There is a report that recently came out stating that Vitamin E could potentially lead to Prostrate Cancer, especially for people who are not naturally deficient in it or take excessive amounts. The study is I believe the only one of its kind so there's not much to compare it to. The Animal Pak does contain Vitamin E (d alpha Tocopherylacetate), and was wondering if anybody else is taking it or something similar and also what do you think of the study. I don't know if I should hold off on the supplements.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/ ... VE20111011

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134187

Last edited by nekuomanteia on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UtUmNo1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:13 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Good work sir! Glad to hear you're improving. I've cut down from almost 350 down to 326. I weighted 326 for a while now, but I'm losing a lot of weight and gaining a lot of my old muscle back. Been doing a lot of high weight/ low rep, I may switch back to endurance soon to shape and tone the new raw bulky muscle that I have acquired. Feel great, wearing clothes I haven’t even been able to look at in years, and the ladies are starting to notice too! ;)

Down to 326?? Who are you, The Mountain That Rides or something?

swayze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:22 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
For five weeks now I have this training plan two times a week and it works really, really good making me feel stable and painfree like never felt before for years.

That's awesome, man. I know what that's like.

Expedience wrote:
This isn't right. Avoid sugar but carbohydrates lead to insulin production which can make you sleepy. Protein on the other hand should make you more awake.

I've felt this in practice. I used to eat cereal for breakfast and shortly afterwards felt like going back to bed. Since I've started eating boiled eggs only, I've had heaps more energy and feel more awake.

The whole 'eat-a-carb before bedtime to avoid insomnia' theory comes from the thinking that the tryptophan in carbohydrate-rich foods will stimulate serotonin secretion, making you feel relaxed and sleepy. My issue with this thinking is that compared to the relatively small amount of tryptophan found in these foods, there is a lot of carbohydrate needing to be taken in. It's not the insulin production that makes you sleepy, it's the drop in blood sugar after insulin has done its job. The drowsiness one feels shortly after a sudden drop in blood sugar isn't a good state to fall asleep for the night to, in my opinion.

Really though, it comes down to personal differences. Everyone responds differently to foods, and it's best to experiment with one's diet to find out what works best, like you did with your breakfast. That said, I and some of my family and friends that I've mentioned this to have found that eating a good piece of meat and a healthy serving of salad and garden veggies for dinner, and then having a small handful of nuts if hungry, was good for falling asleep faster and, I think importantly, staying asleep throughout the night; and since a lot people are eating a bunch of carbohydrates at dinner and before bed anyway, I figured it was worth it for the guy to try out... gobbling on some nuts.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:57 am 

UtUmNo1 wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:

Down to 326?? Who are you, The Mountain That Rides or something?

Hahaha, no, I was not in A Song of Fire and Ice. I'm just a massive human being, man. I'm exactly two meters tall and I have a huge bone structure. Doctors have told me that my skeleton alone weighs somewhere around 77kg, which is a lot for some bones. My bones are also very thick, and wide. IF anyone in this thread has ever seen me on facebook or something, they know.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:09 am 

so, I could need some advice regarding nutrition, esp. protein stuff:

What kind of protein source should I use after training? I know (meaning: I read ;) ) that it's best to use a fast
resorbing protein and not a slow-resorb. source like products with" milk protein". Those slow resorb stuff is better taken before sleeping (I read).

I don't want to use any supplement stuff - just a protein source from "actual food/drinks".

Normally I gulp down a big dose lowfat buttermilk after trainingbut it has a) only 20 grams protein and b) is milk protein and not resorbed that good.

So, what's best eaten or drunk directly after training for your protein household?

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:16 am 

There's always chocolate milk, bananas, greek yogourt, beans chic peas, eggs, chicken, I could go one. There's tons of stuff.
here's a handy chart!

Why no suppliments? Whey protien powder is where it's at!

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:22 am 

I'd avoid milk (especially chocolate), banana, beans (other than maybe green) since they're not very good sources of protein in comparison to how much carbs they contain. I eat a lot of cottage cheese and quark cheese (both contain zero fat and low amounts of carbohydrates), but better effects with less hassle you'll get with protein powders.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:24 am 

MacMoney wrote:
I'd avoid milk (especially chocolate), banana, beans (other than maybe green) since they're not very good sources of protein in comparison to how much carbs they contain. I eat a lot of cottage cheese and quark cheese (both contain zero fat and low amounts of carbohydrates), but better effects with less hassle you'll get with protein powders.

Chocolate milk and bananas are on the lower side, but they have other things helpful for muscle building/recovery. and cottage cheese definitely has fat in it.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:32 am 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Chocolate milk and bananas are on the lower side, but they have other things helpful for muscle building/recovery. and cottage cheese definitely has fat in it.

Yes, what they both have in them is a lot of sugar. The protein content of especially bananas is negligible. Oh sure, it's more than in a lot of other fruits, but that's really not saying much since they have practically zero. The sugar carbs help a lot in recovery yeah, but it's definitely not a good source of protein. Chocolate milk... Well, I have no idea how the chocolate flavor is gotten into chocolate milk in America, but here it's got about three or four times the amount of sugar than regular milk so I'd avoid that if you're trying to get fit. Unless you're really careful about your intake and have calculated that amount of extra carbs and energy in. It depends on the cottage cheese, but the varieties sold in here vary between 0% and 2% which is pretty much a negligible amount, so yeah, some of them don't have fat in them, when it's made from skim milk. I make my own with that so unless it somehow magically appears from out of thin air, I'm pretty sure there's no fat in it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 58  Next