Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:19 am 

Am I the only one here who loves Southern Tier? Their Porter is one of the best I've ever had and their 2XIPA is excellent. Don't get me started on their Blackwater imperial stouts...

Cool to see there are other homebrewers too. I just got into the hobby, and my first batch will be ready this weekend.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:31 am 

MacMoney wrote:
I'd love to try some Paradox, however even Brewdog are out. I think I might find some at bars here, but for ridiculous prices. Seriously, when it comes to alcohol policy and especially beer policy, this country is pretty damn bad. But yeah, you definitely shouldn't have it at 35 degrees, though I think 10C is definitely too cold. Something like fifteen is good. What batch of Paradox was it?

No idea what batch. I will say though that the 2nd paradox I had was mind blowing, absolutely STUNNING and I intend on buying a shitload more of 'em.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:48 am 

Speaking of porters...

Tried this the other night. Easily the best porter I've had to date. Malty goodness!

User16533
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:11 am 

I'm a patriot. Samuel Adams's Winter Lager and Irish Red are ingenious. Perhaps because I'm a Texan, Shiner Bock also rocks my socks.

User16533
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 am 

I'm a patriot. Samuel Adams's Winter Lager and Irish Red are ingenious. Perhaps because I'm a Texan, Shiner Bock also rocks my socks.

User16533
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:13 am 

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:44 am 

I had this beer this morning. It was pretty good, reminded me a lot of Fat Tire (but with a decent % of 7.5).

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:52 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Speaking of porters...

Tried this the other night. Easily the best porter I've had to date. Malty goodness!

I tried one of these last night as well. Holy fuckin' delicious sauce!! Damn good.

Also tried this Sydney brewed beer. The Lord Nelson Old Admiral is a tasty as hell dark (brown) beer overflowing with smooth, caramelish undertones, and at a nice 6.1% to boot. Excellent stuff.

My collection

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:34 am 

Old Admiral didn't do much for me. Just seemed a bit... unrefined. I think for dark beers I'll be sticking to the Dark Knight or, if I fancy it at the time good old Cooper's Best Extra Stout. Excluding trying new brews, of course.

MadThrasher888
Freddom Fightah!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:12 pm 

I think currently my favorite is Rolling Rock.

Coors light, Miller light, and Natty Ice all suck ass.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:28 pm 

mattp wrote:
Am I the only one here who loves Southern Tier? Their Porter is one of the best I've ever had and their 2XIPA is excellent. Don't get me started on their Blackwater imperial stouts....

I've only had Hoppe and Creme Brulee. Liked the Creme Brulee more, though a whole bomber of it is a bit much.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:53 pm 

Had this AMAZING beer today; it's called Lava and comes from Iceland. Quite appropriate name, seeing as it is a smoky imperial stout and so dark that it absorbs all the light around you, like volcanic ashes. ABV 9.4%, but it's a sneaky little bitch - you can't detect the alcohol in the sweet, smooky goodness and I had to restrain myself in order to not drain my glass in 10 seconds. The taste resembles some chocolate and roasted coffee beans but people talk about a licorice taste I cannot find. The smell is lovely as well, and I can feel some hints of smoked meat (maybe ham). Might be hard for non-Swedes to find it, it was made for the Swedish market according to the website: http://www.brugghus.is/english/lava.php

Earthcubed wrote:
:) I have two bottles each in my basement (Chimay Blue and Rochefort); patiently waiting on them to try at one year intervals. Though I'm sure Rochefort 10 will be plenty flavorful after five years, that beer is a beast.

I really have to try that myself! I can imagine they actually will mature well and still taste good after a few years, if not better. I will love to go to a beer-trip around Belgium and put my hands on some Westvleteren bottles. The whole thing with having to call and reserve your beer days ahead, buying the beer directly from the monks in limited quantity and not being allowed to sell it to other makes me curious.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:46 pm 

mattp wrote:
Am I the only one here who loves Southern Tier?

Nope. I do, too.

Pumking is one of the best beers I've ever had in my life. The Choklat ain't no slouch, either.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:12 pm 

I'm going to a party soon, and do plan on drinking. It will be my first time drinking socially. Does anyone have any advice so I don't get shitfaced/puke/blackout/pass out etc. Kinda hoping to avoid those.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:34 pm 

I am an unemployed piece of shit, so at the moment I drink mostly shitty cheap beer. Like Coors Light, and Miller Lite.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:47 pm 

Fuck that shit, Pabst Blue Ribbon!!
went to Dieu du ciel this week, can't talk enough about the quality of their beers, if you're in Montreal, you have to go there!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:05 pm 

Animicantus wrote:
I'm going to a party soon, and do plan on drinking. It will be my first time drinking socially. Does anyone have any advice so I don't get shitfaced/puke/blackout/pass out etc. Kinda hoping to avoid those.

1. Don't drink anything you don't like, even if it is offered to you.

2. Mix your own drinks or watch those who do it for you. I usually mix 50-50 when I make my own drinks, but when I mix a drink for a friend I always ask how much booze they want in their drinks.

3. Don't drink if you have taken painkillers the last few days. I passed out once due to that, and it took 1 minute between feeling great and not noticing that I collapsed on the bathroom floor, lying in my own vomit.

4. Know your limits, don't drink too fast if you have low tolerance or haven't got any previous experience from drinking. Besides, drink for the pleasure and not the drunkenness. I've been sober on many parties and cruises, and still had as much fun as the rest. If the occasional drunken dude tries to make you to drink or repeatedly asks why you don't drink, just pretend to drink or else they wont stop :lol:

Happy partying!
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

A_Cryptic_Sage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:12 pm 

Arrogant Bastard will always be my favorite. I remember the first one I had. The first sip took me completely off guard, as I was used to piss-water American beer. There was so much flavor in that first sip. Ahhh. It's a night I wish I could relive over and over again. In addition, Pale Moon and Blue Moon are really good too.

MadThrasher888
Freddom Fightah!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:41 pm 

Animicantus wrote:

Stick with beer, no hard liquor. Take sips, don't chug. Don't plan on driving.

Fulci420
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:04 pm 

Animicantus wrote:

I wouldnt worry about it too much but just remember not to drink beer before liquor and make sure you eat something before you start drinking and before you go to sleep.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:24 pm 

Much appreciated advice guys. The girl I'm going with wanted me to do shots of vodka with her but I told her I'd have no part in that.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:31 am 

Screw that, get super wasted, throw up everywhere and have a great time. Then when the hangover hits the next day, you'll have learnt the most valuable lesson a young bloke can learn!

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:36 am 

Animicantus wrote:
Much appreciated advice guys. The girl I'm going with wanted me to do shots of vodka with her but I told her I'd have no part in that.

Wow, I bet you really impressed that girl! You must've been really interesting company.

Mjaeltbrand- I went to a lot of different Icelandic beer shops when I was there, and I didn't see that damn stout once. Totally bummed, sounds super tasty.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:03 am 

Yeah, the page says it was originally made for the Swedish market. Then they started selling it in Iceland as well, so you might have been there before the release.

AH SHIT, just went into the Systembolaget website (the only store that sells alcohol above 3.5%) and saw that a 33 cl bottle costs almost 6$ each and they only sell it in packages of 24 bottles that you have to pre-order. That's almost 140$ :(

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:23 am 

mattp wrote:
Am I the only one here who loves Southern Tier? Their Porter is one of the best I've ever had and their 2XIPA is excellent. Don't get me started on their Blackwater imperial stouts...

Cool to see there are other homebrewers too. I just got into the hobby, and my first batch will be ready this weekend.
I like their Creme Brulee stout; that shit's tasty.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:30 am 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
mattp wrote:

That just sounds delicious!

HAs anyone ever had a Xingu Brazillian Black Beer? My god that shit is good. It's flavored with some kind of fruit (can't remember what) but's it's got such a unique flavor to it. I suggest if you see it anywhere, pick one up for sure

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:10 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
mattp wrote:

That just sounds delicious!

It is, but before you try it know this: it is a creme brulee dessert in liquid alcoholic form. Total sugarbomb, it's essentially an imperial cream stout (so there's lots of lactose) spiced with vanilla beans. It tastes like vanilla ice cream topped with vanilla pudding that's blended with vanilla extract.

It only comes in 22oz bottles. It's delicious but you might want to split it with someone.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:58 pm 

Right now, I'm indulging in Rogue's Chocolate Stout. I've currently got Southern Tier's Mokah and Pumpking, Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout, Left Hand's Milk Stout, and Witkap-Pater Singel.

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:16 pm 

mjaeltbrand wrote:
Had this AMAZING beer today; it's called Lava and comes from Iceland. Quite appropriate name, seeing as it is a smoky imperial stout and so dark that it absorbs all the light around you, like volcanic ashes. ABV 9.4%, but it's a sneaky little bitch - you can't detect the alcohol in the sweet, smooky goodness and I had to restrain myself in order to not drain my glass in 10 seconds. The taste resembles some chocolate and roasted coffee beans but people talk about a licorice taste I cannot find. The smell is lovely as well, and I can feel some hints of smoked meat (maybe ham). Might be hard for non-Swedes to find it, it was made for the Swedish market according to the website: http://www.brugghus.is/english/lava.php

I had this stuff last week at my brother in law's place! Excellent beer, so smoky and smooth! I could drink this stuff for hours, it's so freaking good! I definately tasted some coffee-esque flavours in it, but no licorice. Good thing too, as I hate the taste of licorice. The liquor store by my place had a whole bunch of these, and I plan on having some more tonight!

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:56 pm 

where the fuck do yall get all this shit? my store is stocked neck high on bud light and heiniken, but nothin good like some of the shit ive seen here. i even saw a pic of a bottle with 666 printed across the label.

speakin of shiner bock, anyone know how good zeiger bock is? i saw it and it called to me a little, but so did corona before i drank it.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:24 pm 

The trick is to find a good bottle-o and/or bar. ;) Just do some internet searching. If you're outside of a major city you'll probably have problems though.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:30 pm 

Ahh beer. <3

I'm enjoying an Okanagan Springs Black Lager right now. It's a wonderful style of beer I've only recently been introduced to. It's quite drinkable, having a darkish, roasted coffee flavor but in a lighter body than your typical stout or porter. If you are feeling ambitious or are keen with german, apparently it's also known as 'Schwarzbier'

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:40 pm 

That Lava beer looks like something. Unfortunately, never saw it anywhere near where I live. Presently drinking a Kilkenny glass, I negliged Irish cream ales for too long, pretty good stuff.

CHEEBRA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:38 pm 

LAGER!!!!
STELLA ARTOIS
KRONENBOURG 1664
HOLSTEN PILS
COBRA
CARLSBERG SPECIAL BREW

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:02 am 

Are you guys picky about how your beer is served? I mainly buy bottles, even on pubs because I hate the taste from draught beers, and I always pour the beer into a glass. Unless I happen to buy a lager, then I don't give a fuck. The shit's never going to taste good anyway :lol:

EDIT: Since I like Trappist beer so much, I tried Westmalle Tripel a few days ago and it was quite good. Tripel beers get three times the normal amount of sugar in the brewing process, thus the taste was sweet and fruity and I could not taste any alcohol even though it is a strong beer (ABV 9.5%). The taste is very thick and pleasant, almost silky and it was definitely worth buying as it wasn't too expensive here in Sweden.

Last edited by mjaeltbrand on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:09 am 

Of course. Some beers work better from the tap, others from the bottle. Unless there's no glasses available, I always pour.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:10 am 

mjaeltbrand wrote:
Are you guys picky about how your beer is served? I mainly buy bottles, even on pubs because I hate the taste from draught beers, and I always pour the beer into a glass. Unless I happen to buy a lager, then I don't give a fuck. The shit's never going to taste good anyway :lol:

Definitely. Always at the right temperature and from a glass, preferably the right glass for each beer style, but a normal pint will do in case there isn't a choice. I love draught beers though except in some rare cases like Fuller's ESB which is better from the bottle and well, it's hard to age casks as easily as bottles in case of Belgians. And some beers just aren't really meant for draughts, case in point I've never really had a good imperial stout from a draught. Tried Acorn Gorlovka, Dark Star's Critical Mass (well, not really imperial) and Slottskällans and they're always too cold and from a pint instead of a snifter. In case of imperial stouts, I find that the snifter is just so much better for aroma and flavor than a pint or anything else really.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:11 am 

mjaeltbrand wrote:
Are you guys picky about how your beer is served?

Yes, I nearly always insist on a clean glass.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:15 am 

Extra grease is just extra flavour!

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:23 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
mjaeltbrand wrote:
Are you guys picky about how your beer is served?

Yes, I nearly always insist on a clean glass.

Haha, nice one.

Personally, I feel that most of the draught beers I've had always get a metallic taste and that the beer it self feels and taste a bit watery. I maybe should go to a more expensive and knowledgeable bar that specialises in beer to try some of their draughts. I find bottles to preserve taste and aroma much better.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 86  Next