Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeathThrasher91
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:53 pm 

I have made many honest reveiws of albums for this website since I first became a user, but shortly after my most recent one, the "moderators" began ignoring and even deleting subsequent attempts to submit reviews. Months of re-submitting reviews has failed to work as well. And my most recent one, was completely deleted in a matter of hours. So, what's the deal metallum? I also review albums for other websites which I then submit on this one, and I clearly state my user names on these websites, to show I am in fact the same person, therefore any accusation of plagiarism is disproven. However, I have continually followed the guidelens of this website, only to be mistreated, and ignored every time. Are there any others who are going through the same problems on this website?

NecroThrasher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:11 pm 

That's pretty jacked up man. And ive seen your reviews on other websites. If you've saved reviews and countinally tried to re-submit them, like you say you have, and they have ignored it for months, then somethings up. Either the moderators arent doing their jobs, or, yes, they just dont like you lol.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:13 pm 

Have you tried posting a few in the review discussion forum and asking for constructive criticism/feedback?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:19 pm 

Well the short duration for this one can easily be solved. You're posting reviews during a review contest, so the mods are deliberately paying a lot more attention to the queue than usual, my last review got accepted in about 45 minutes. As for the WHY, I couldn't tell you without being shown one of your reviews. Also, there is an appropriate subforum for this sort of issue rather than here.

I feel safe saying that the archives staff don't have a beef with you though.

DeathThrasher91
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:21 pm 

@Zodijackyl
No, I havent, but still i should be able to submit reviews without seeing what others think about them. I could see if reviews are ignored because of poorly worded sentences, or inmature topics/points, but that's not the case here. But, I may try this suggestion.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:25 pm 

Reviews are never ignored. They are either accepted or rejected. In your profile, do you have the box, that says something about receiving e-mail from the operators/moderators/admins of the site, ticked? If not, you are not receiving the rejection e-mails. If you do have it ticked, check your spambox.

As ghengis pointed out, they definitely don't have a problem with you.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:55 pm 

DeathThrasher91 wrote:
@Zodijackyl
No, I havent, but still i should be able to submit reviews without seeing what others think about them. I could see if reviews are ignored because of poorly worded sentences, or inmature topics/points, but that's not the case here. But, I may try this suggestion.

Have you looked at the reasons why your reviews were rejected? If you can't figure it out, then it is likely that many of the users on this site who haven't had these problems could offer some help.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:07 pm 

Go to the album and click on add/edit review for a release you are waiting for an acceptance or rejection for and if the review is displayed it is just in the queue and the mods will get to it when they have time. If it is not there anymore then it was rejected.

You also say your reviews have been deleted. Deletion of reviews does not send a notification as far as I am aware. For reviews that have been rejected and you can't figure out why then use the feedback thread. If you post the review there then someone can tell you where it could do with some improvements to get accepted. Mods probably don't remember specific reviews they have rejected as they go through so many.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:46 pm 

If they keep getting rejected its not necessarily because they are bad. I've had a few rejected for grammatical/formating errors. The review workshop thread might be helpful.

Sieg_Heil_Satan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:16 pm 

Metal-Archives is troll central for all the trolls to come and bash in more than one paragraph. With an exception of a few ofcourse.

I wouldn't recommend this site to be fair at all. (Users AND Moderators)

KingMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:16 pm 

Yes. Metal Archives is out to get you. And you. And you.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:44 pm 

They might have something against you if you submit like, a bunch of reviews in a few days span, or if they get denied and you keep submitting more and more. I doubt this though, I'm just thinking of reasons off the cuff.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:03 pm 

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:06 pm 

KingMaker wrote:
Yes. Metal Archives is out to get you. And you. And you.

:o I knew it!

todesengel89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:37 pm 

no cause for concern i guess, i have waited for around 1-2 weeks for my last review, and it still hasnt been accepted/rejected yet. the ones i submitted 2 days ago and also a day before that hasnt been accepted either.
Heavy Metal Tribune #007 feat. Paradise Lost, Rogga Johansson, Riti Occulti, Antin Graham & Nepente!

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:58 pm 

Sieg_Heil_Satan wrote:
Metal-Archives is troll central for all the trolls to come and bash in more than one paragraph. With an exception of a few ofcourse.

I wouldn't recommend this site to be fair at all. (Users AND Moderators)

I'm sorry I guess people aren't allowed to review albums they dislike.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:33 am 

Speaking on behalf of the mods, but also specifically for Napero and I (as the review queue is what we primarily do), we don't have "beefs" against users. We're not out to get you. We're not "trolls." We don't sit at our chairs cackling in evil maniacal laughter while we instigate our villainous plan of rejecting your reviews.

We are actually pretty laid back fellows (Napero perhaps a bit too much ;)) who manage the review queue as a hobby in our free time (which is true for all mods who may work on the queue). Our jobs are pretty straightforward. You submit a review, we judge it based on the standards set by the site, and then your review is either rejected or approved. A rejected review will have a message attached to it giving the reason why it was rejected. As a bonus, an approved review gets a certain number of points. It is that simple.

The standards are straightforward, as well. We accept well-written reviews that sufficiently describe the music. What do we mean by each? Well-written means just that. It is grammatically valid, formatted correctly and intelligently written. Nobody wants to read an incoherent wall of text or a sentence of jibberish. By "describe the music" we just ask that reviewers explain what the album specifically sounds like to them and their own opinions on it. The context, the meat and bones, the heart of it all. Our standards on reviews are, in some ways, comparatively based on the reviews of your peers. Have you said something that somebody else hasn't already said already (and done to death, for that matter)? Have you added anything? How does the quality of description compare? Is it actually factual? And so on.

We even have a decent peer review system. If your review is rejected, there is a thread here where you can have other users take a look at it and provide feedback to you. Likewise, we have many users who will go out and check for reviews that were previously submitted, but no longer or never did meet our standards (invalid submissions). You always have the chance to resubmit reviews, and to engage other reviewers.

As mods, our duties are solely to make sure that the standards are met. Beyond that, a user's opinion and a user's thoughts on a work are their own. This is what usually ends up pissing off a lot of people. A reviewer rates their favorite album as much lower than what they think is appropriate. Or, a reviewer rates an album much higher than what they think is appropriate. A reviewer says something that they disagree with, or that they find is inaccurate or ridiculous or whatnot. We wont police somebody's opinions if the rest of the review doesn't go against the standards. They represent that user's opinions. Any beef should be brought up with them.

As for your reviews, DeathThrasher91, I can reassure you in knowing that the mods are definitely not out to get you. If you take the precautions to avoid plagiarism, it's not about that either. If you make sure that in your profile settings you accept email notification, then you should receive an email with the reasons for rejection. As far as timing goes, we don't watch the queue 24/7. Sometimes users may catch us when we're on the queue, so their reviews get dealt with quickly. We also might deal with the queue in different ways. Honestly, I don't always go chronologically. You can read up on how I normally go through reviews here (point #5).

I am sorry that you feel as though you have been mistreated. From our angle, that was never our intention.

todesengel89 wrote:
no cause for concern i guess, i have waited for around 1-2 weeks for my last review, and it still hasnt been accepted/rejected yet. the ones i submitted 2 days ago and also a day before that hasnt been accepted either.

We have a bit of a backlog, but nothing that can't be tackled shortly.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.