* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:45 am 

Hybrid_Killer wrote:
Musick wrote:
did some grappling this morning for the first time in 8 months or so. mounts, escaping the mount, takedowns, stopping the takedown, etc. all while trying to put on various submissions.

3x 3 min rounds, 3 min break, than 3x 3 min rounds (had a group of 6 of us with 3 mats today) before a final 3x 3 min round. it reminded me that no matter how good you think your cardio is, grappling will test you to the utmost.

glad i have tomorrow off to rest as every body part from my ankles up to my chin is extremely sore - i expect tomorrow to be much worse.

Yeah, my MMA gym has been closed for the past 2 weeks more or less because of the holiday period; besides attending a couple of student-organised open mat sessions I haven't done much in the way of grappling/striking. Today is the first day the gym fully re-opens...hope I'm not too sore after tonight's session tomomorrow morning.

Do you do many grappling specific conditioning sessions?.

nothing out of the ordinary - duck walks, turkish get ups, wheelbarrow hill work, tire flipping, sprints, burpees...

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
And Musick, I wasn't just spouting off bs/misinformation....

not trying to challenge anyone, just putting in my two cents. it works for me. ymmv. as said previously, creatine is well studied and is safe and effective for the overwhelming majority of users.

again, always listen to your own body.

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

mgjerv
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:04 am 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
mgjerv wrote:
I used to work out regularly. 4 times a week, every week. I went to school at the time, and I usually just went to work out straight after school. This kept me motivated, but then the summer came, and I finished school. I'm the sort of person that really needs a reason to get up in the morning, otherwise I'll just sleep till I wake up. And I can sleep forever, like 10-15 hours easily. I know, it's stupid as hell, and honestly it's annoying as fuck. I didn't really pack on any weight or a lot of muscle when I worked out either, which was also pretty demotivating. I did increase my strength a lot though, but it didn't show as much.

However, lately I've been considering getting back into working out. I need more income though, working out is expensive as hell if you wanna do it properly. Shakes, proper diet, gym membership are extremely expensive, at least where I live. I also want to start biking, so I need to buy a bicycle aswell.

I'm around 1.85m and weigh about 80kg atm. Not a bad weight for my heigth, but that doesn't necessarily equal a good body. Not working out at all, and generally having a shitty life style has cost me my flat stomach.

My goals would be getting rid of my stomach fat, not necessarily getting a six-pack, because god knows how hard that is, especially if you're not skinny. I'll probably focus on my arms a lot, training my biceps and triceps. I'm not a big fan of bicep workouts, but I love working on the triceps, and the pec workout you get in the process is a huge bonus.

Has anyone got some good tips regarding a good, but fairly cheap diet? I'm gonna focus a lot on getting enough protein, and a healthy dose of carbs. I'm definitely going to get a protein shake, and maybe a weight gain shake aswell, for the healthy carbs. I'm considering creatine aswell, it's not expensive at all in powder form, and apparently very effective. I'd also welcome a good excercise plan. If, or when I start working out again, the muscles below the waist isn't a huge concern. If I start riding a bicycle a lot, that's enough practice anyway combined with a good amount of protein.

Well, what exactly are you looking to do for your rms, strenght, tone or both? And as far as protein goes, besides meat (which may or may not be expensive in your area:

Tuna: Cheapt, tatses good with mustard, maybe some mayo, cooked pees and some kind of noodle (usually elbow maccaroni (there're your carbs))
Canned chicken, same as tuna as far as preperation
Beans! protein and carbs, all in one can
Peatun butter! Tons of protein, tons of crabs, callories and fat content.
Hummus

Foods high in protien are usually high in calores too, even though protein itself is extremely caloric.

FUCK Creatine, UNLESS you're naturally skinny, or people don't throw up if they see you shirtless, its not all that beneficial. Creatine will sap all your water from your body and store in muscles and fat. It will make your muscles "look" bigger. It does give some benefeit to lifting, but it also cause fat cells to retain more water than they would, giving you a constant "bloated" apperance. It can also be straight up dangerous if you take it without drinking water, and cause some of the most painful cramps/charlie horses of your life! durring the summer, i drank on average two gallons of water a day, and my urine was always nasty yellow, then at that point, it should have either been almost clear, or i would have dry drowned. In a lot of cases, the benefits are several over-shadowed by the negatives.

Thanks for the dietting tips. As for your view on creatine, I'm not sure I agree. Of course it all depends on the dosage, which will directly affect the amount of water you need to drink daily. I don't completely disagree though, and I can understand peoples distaste for it. I am naturally skinny though, which is sort of why I considered creatine in the first place. I can't imagine someone looking overly bloated from creatine to be honest. I've seen a body on some seriously tough steroids after a couple of weeks of working out, and THAT looked bloated like hell. The user was naturally very skinny though, and imo overdosed on that stuff like crazy. Besides, I don't mind looking a little bloated for a period of time if it means my muscles will grow and benefit from it.

I'm gonna look into it some more before buying it though, there's got to be a bunch of trustworthy studies on creatine. Everything is expensive where I live though, especially meat containing the most protein. I don't really like tuna which is a shame, but I know they sell tuna with added flavour which actually tastes pretty good, if you put it on a cracker or something.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:33 am 

Honestly, if you are just starting out don't even bother with creatine. Concentrate on buying good, nutritious food (that will do heaps more for you than creatine ever will) and save the money. You mentioned before that you got stronger but didn't get bigger...that is definitely a diet issue. Short answer to your problems: eat more (good) calories whilst utilising a routine that has plenty of big compound lifts.

Also, breaking your workouts into "bicep", "tricep" and "pec" days is a sure fire way to get absolutely nowhere. For good, basic ideas on how to create a program read:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/carna ... on-402978/

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/read-886282/

mgjerv
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:40 am 

Hybrid_Killer wrote:
Honestly, if you are just starting out don't even bother with creatine. Concentrate on buying good, nutritious food (that will do heaps more for you than creatine ever will) and save the money. You mentioned before that you got stronger but didn't get bigger...that is definitely a diet issue. Short answer to your problems: eat more (good) calories whilst utilising a routine that has plenty of big compound lifts.

Also, breaking your workouts into "bicep", "tricep" and "pec" days is a sure fire way to get absolutely nowhere. For good, basic ideas on how to create a program read:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/carna ... on-402978/

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/read-886282/

I know a thing or two about workout programs actually, I've read tons about it. I'm thinking I'm gonna start using creatine a couple of weeks or a month after starting, that way my body will be in better shape and probably make more use of it.

I just said what I was going to focus on though, and that's not a bad thing at all. I'm gonna do it properly with enough rest after each session and all, but focusing more on one musclegroup than another is perfectly fine. I know all about which musclegroups you're supposed to train along with another one etc, and the ones that's not such a good idea. This stuff is all pretty basic though, and it's not exactly hard to break down unless you've never read an article about physical fitness before, generally speaking. As for my growth vs strength situation I had before, I don't think it was entirely a diet issue, as I ate loads of carbs and got enough protein utilizing a whey protein shake daily.

I'll probably post here once I get started, as it helps with motivation. I'll have a look at the links you posted, thanks.

EDIT: Good read man. I just spent the last 50mins reading both the posts.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:00 am 

did some shoulder work today.

military press followed by alternating side and front dum raises and finished w/ clean and press. no rest between the 3 and 5 sets were completed. plus some ab work.

this after my standard hill run.

the rest of the week will alternate between weightlifting and cardio.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:21 am 

I had been doing an abdominal routine all last week, until unfortunately getting a fever, and was wondering what ya'll think of it. Like stuff I could add or omit, etc... I'll post it below.

4 Sets
-Twisting Sit-Ups:20reps
-Leaning Twists:50reps
-Waist Twists:both side=1rep, do 70reps
-Frog Kicks:50reps
-Leg Raises:20reps

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:14 am 

mgjerv wrote:
I just said what I was going to focus on though, and that's not a bad thing at all. I'm gonna do it properly with enough rest after each session and all, but focusing more on one musclegroup than another is perfectly fine. I know all about which musclegroups you're supposed to train along with another one etc, and the ones that's not such a good idea. This stuff is all pretty basic though, and it's not exactly hard to break down unless you've never read an article about physical fitness before, generally speaking. As for my growth vs strength situation I had before, I don't think it was entirely a diet issue, as I ate loads of carbs and got enough protein utilizing a whey protein shake daily.

I'll probably post here once I get started, as it helps with motivation. I'll have a look at the links you posted, thanks.

EDIT: Good read man. I just spent the last 50mins reading both the posts.

Eh, whatever floats your boat. I tend to forget sometimes that people usually prefer to train their beach muscles than for max functional strength. Its just...coming from a powerlifting background, emphasising your tris/bis/chest just sounds so...gay. I suppose as long as you are using mainly compound lifts and hitting the other muscle groups sufficiently it should be ok for what you are after.

And if you are working out and not getting bigger it is more than likely a diet issue. People tend to underestimate how much you have to eat to actually get big.

Glad you liked the posts...even now I still go back and read that stuff every so often to refresh myself and check it against what I'm doing in the weight room.

Anyway, good luck.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:18 am 

Slag wrote:
I had been doing an abdominal routine all last week, until unfortunately getting a fever, and was wondering what ya'll think of it. Like stuff I could add or omit, etc... I'll post it below.

4 Sets
-Twisting Sit-Ups:20reps
-Leaning Twists:50reps
-Waist Twists:both side=1rep, do 70reps
-Frog Kicks:50reps
-Leg Raises:20reps

Depends on what your goals are really. If your goals are abdominal endurance I suppose that'll do for a little while.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:26 am 

Well yea, endurance/strength. I want usefulness, not something to going showing off.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:38 am 

Slag wrote:
Well yea, endurance/strength. I want usefulness, not something to going showing off.

Well, what you are doing is fine endurance (at least for a little while) but it won't add much, if anything, to your core/ab strength unless you are horrendously unfit/weak.

If you want to work your strength add much more resistance and lower the rep range.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:12 am 

Hybrid_Killer wrote:

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
And Musick, I wasn't just spouting off bs/misinformation. for some people it does work wonders, but those people are, in most cases already skinny. It's not a good idea for people with a lot of excess body fat to take it because of the water storage. I'm saying it from research/ personal expirience

There isn't any data to support the idea that creatine in and of itself inhibits weight loss either and I'm not sure what your point is linking being fat and water retention. Having said that, a fat/overweight person has better things to spend his/her money on and better things to do than creatine ie. fixing their diet.

I personally think creatine is usually wasted by the people that use it either because they use it for shallow reasons (I want big gunz bro!!!!1!1!1!) or they use it for a quick fix when proper nutrition and good training routines will do the job better for them in the long term.

Either way, I'm on the fence about creatine, I've tried it before and it didn't do anything for me.

Wow, that fat comment was completely uncalled for. I work my ass off at the gym. I eat right, and I do cardio, heavy, and light weights out the ass, at least 4 times a week, usually 5 or 6 days. And if you re read y statement, I said creatine can be beneficial for some people. Even the hardcore juicers I know don't take creatine, because it doesn't do anything for them either. They all drank enough water, and they all experienced the same bloating I did. I'm not obese or anything, But it's generally hard for me to lose substantial weight. Every pou8nd of fat has approx. 3500 calories in it. Imagine me being 6'5" and 330lbs. I could easily lose 20 and not look too much different. Maybe next time instead of making some asinine comment, think about what you say first, do everyone a favor.

I also like at the end of all this, you're on the fence about it.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:10 pm 

Except if you actually read what I said properly, I didn't call you fat.

This is what you said:

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
It's not a good idea for people with a lot of excess body fat to take it because of the water storage.

And all I stated was that I wasn't sure why you link (anybody, NOT you)having excess body fat with not taking creatine because of water retention. They aren't linked...they have nothing to do with each other.

So how about next time, instead of misreading what someone says, getting your panties in a bunch and going on a huge, unnecessary rant, do yourself a favour and actually read and understand the post you are replying to.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:59 am 

bis and back...

ez curl bar (115lbs) then dum curls (35lbs ea.) and finishing w/ cable curls on a preacher (70lbs.). no rest between the 3 w/ 5 sets completed.

cable pull downs (180lbs.), alternating rows (65 lb dums) and finishing w/ standing rows (135 lbs.). no rest between the 3 w/ 5 sets completed.

finished w/5 sets of 40 reps hanging (straight) leg raises body weight.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:17 am 

my two cents:

creatine or not, it really does not matter. if you are afraid of it, stay away. otherwise, give it a shot (following proper guidelines re: "real" lifting, proper hydration and loading phase, etc.).

do the work and make 'em sore - that is what really matters.

remember, muscle is not built in the gym, but post-gym. eat right, lift heavy, eat right (yes i said it twice), provide proper protein and get 7-8 hrs of sleep. more important than any sup. ime.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:50 am 

Ripped up my arms and shoulders pretty good yesterday

! set of lat pulldowns, 140lbs x35.
Standing shoulder flies, 20lb dumbells, x25
Got on an inclined bench, let my arms hang down and do curls (have NO clue what that's called) 30lb dumbells x35
shrugs, 70lb dumbells x 25
(lay on a flat bench, grbbed a bar with 60 lbs on it, held the bar like I would have bench it, and then lowered it down past my head till it touched the bench) x25
shoulder presses with 50lb dumbells x25
Arnie presses (suck) 50lb dumbells x 10 (hey, it's hard right after normal presses)
(lay on a flat bench, holding a 30lb dumbell in each hand, have both arms straight up in the air, and let your arms drop till you get approx. a 90 degree angle with your elbows) x25

Recovered suprisingly well ,considering. today I think i might do me some benchin'

Last edited by Gelseth_Andrano on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:50 pm 

Hybrid_Killer wrote:
Slag wrote:
Well, what you are doing is fine endurance (at least for a little while) but it won't add much, if anything, to your core/ab strength unless you are horrendously unfit/weak.

If you want to work your strength add much more resistance and lower the rep range.
Alright thanks, mate. I suppose when that routine becomes too stale, I'll make it more of a strength focused one

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:37 pm 

woke up before the alarm, so i headed to work early to make the most of it...

enjoyed some limbonic art while running 1.25 mi. downhill through the dirt trail down to the beach, 1.5 mi. run in knee deep water, 1.5 mi. return run in knee deep H20 to trailhead and 1.25 mi. uphill interval sprints (700' elevation change).

mp3 player died towards the end, so no overall time.

running in water presented more of a challenge than i expected - i highly recommend it if you have the access to the terrain and if weather permits.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:12 am 

Man...just my third week into my lifting program and I've already missed a day :S. Ah well, I've found that my squat numbers don't suffer too much from a missed workout...my bench on the other hand...

Ah well, it's deadlifts, overhead presses and weighted chins tomorrow followed by some kettlebell stuff for conditioning. I'm actually hoping that because my back is rested due to not squatting my deadlifting will be made easier tomorrow.

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:00 pm 

Squatted 375 for 5 yesterday. It feels good.

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:38 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Got on an inclined bench, let my arms hang down and do curls (have NO clue what that's called) 30lb dumbells x35

The Incline Dumbbell Bicep Curl?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:31 pm 

Finally started exercising again. Went to the gym two days ago and decided I needed to up the weights because I was kind of on a plateau. I went from 25 pounds to 30 on the bicep curls, and increased the weight on a few other exercises too. I went snowboarding for a long time yesterday, which I think is the best exercise because it is so fun it doesn't even feel like exercise.

ThrashDeathDoom
Racist Dick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:42 pm 

I do a lot of calisthenics and running. Push-ups, chin-ups/pull-ups, crunches, etc.

I like doing pyramids, probably my favorite technique to trick your mind into thinking you're doing less work than you are. You can rack up a shitload of reps like that.

I'm joining the Marine Corps, which is why I don't lift weights much (do some bicep curls and such), and focus more on endurance and strength training and less about getting big. I work on maximizing my PFT scores, and making the transition from civilian life to bootcamp easier. There's no reason to make bootcamp physically harder than it has to be, it's going to be mentally tough as is. No need to make it exponentially harder by being out of shape or in mediocre shape. I've been at it for a while now.

ThrashDeathDoom
Racist Dick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:44 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Finally started exercising again. Went to the gym two days ago and decided I needed to up the weights because I was kind of on a plateau. I went from 25 pounds to 30 on the bicep curls, and increased the weight on a few other exercises too. I went snowboarding for a long time yesterday, which I think is the best exercise because it is so fun it doesn't even feel like exercise.

2 30 pound dumbells or 30 pounds on a curling bar?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:30 pm 

ThrashDeathDoom wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:

Two 30 pound dumbells.

BloedVorWodan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:28 pm 

I went to the gym last night, did my compound lifting routine.

Dumbbell press 3x5 at 100lbs dumbbells
ATG Squats 3x5 at 325lbs
T-Bar row's 3x5 at 215lbs
Wide Grip chin-ups 3x8

I felt strong at the gym tonight.

ThrashDeathDoom
Racist Dick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:05 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
ThrashDeathDoom wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:

Two 30 pound dumbells.

Ok man lol I was thinking to myself on that one that 30 pounds on a curl bar is super light

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:14 pm 

Just got to be the teachers assistant for a grade 10 gym class (I'm in grade 12.) That should be pretty interesting. I have to run a 10k for that, and the most I've done before is a 5. Shouldn't be that hard, though (I hope.)

snakehead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:22 am 

I've never really done any working out (other than the ridiculous assessments we were subjected to in PE class), and I'm thinking of trying it a bit. I'm 20, 5'6, and about 120 pounds; I'm a real thin guy. I don't plan on getting extremely buff and I probably won't have time to go to a gym due to college, but I'd like to give my flabby arms a little muscle.
I've been doing 50 bicep curls with 3 pound dumbells daily. I don't know if that will do much, but I'd appreciate any input.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:25 am 

@snakehead. I'm in no way an expert but what I do know is that you get strength (not bigger size!) by many reps with little weights. If you want to get bigger muscles you need to too heavy weights with less reps. In your case maybe instead of doing 50x3lbs, do 20x6lbs or better 10x15lbs (see what I mean?)

I, too, have some questions to the more prof. guys around:
just a thing about the "diet issue": regardless what I've done physically (swimming, running or some weight stuff) after the training i just crave for carbs, mostly in form of something sugarstuff like chocolate or whatever. I don't always eat them then but I the hunger for them is very strong. Is there some way to avoid this?
It just feels like my body tells me to "fill him up with carbs" after training. I know proteins would be much better but even if I eat, say, tuna and/or yoghurt/quark/curd in big amounts, I'm still being told "C'mon give me some sweets". Any ideas what to do?

Another thing. I started swimming about half a year ago as my doc told me it will be good for my back with which I had some painful issues in the past (f..ing office job). It surely works and I'm nearly painfree since then. However I still like to do some weight exercises but always tell me not to put up too much weight because I'm afraid a too heavy load will cause pain again. but in that way my muscles won't get any bigger. Any ideas for this, too?

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:38 am 

It's been a long time since I heard something lame as "it's a big thing to metalheads to be intimidating". Maybe the musicians are trying (trying yes, most of them you can't take serious) but the fans are some of the nicest people around.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:49 am 

Samoroth wrote:
It's been a long time since I heard something lame as "it's a big thing to metalheads to be intimidating". Maybe the musicians are trying (trying yes, most of them you can't take serious) but the fans are some of the nicest people around.

Well hey thanks for making a real contribution to the thread. Besides, you can't think I really meant that. Lifting JUST to look scary. you'd be a retard. Anyway, kind escort yourself out of this thread.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:59 am 

snakehead wrote:
I've never really done any working out (other than the ridiculous assessments we were subjected to in PE class), and I'm thinking of trying it a bit. I'm 20, 5'6, and about 120 pounds; I'm a real thin guy. I don't plan on getting extremely buff and I probably won't have time to go to a gym due to college, but I'd like to give my flabby arms a little muscle.
I've been doing 50 bicep curls with 3 pound dumbells daily. I don't know if that will do much, but I'd appreciate any input.

Well that depends, I mean if you're doing 50 reps, obviously you can lift it, but how hard is it by number 50? Also are you listing at home or at a gym? its not usually good to do one set of something unless you're doing a burnout. standard is three sets usually, with reps up to you and what you're going for.

grauer_mausling wrote:
just a thing about the "diet issue": regardless what I've done physically (swimming, running or some weight stuff) after the training i just crave for carbs, mostly in form of something sugarstuff like chocolate or whatever. I don't always eat them then but I the hunger for them is very strong. Is there some way to avoid this?
It just feels like my body tells me to "fill him up with carbs" after training. I know proteins would be much better but even if I eat, say, tuna and/or yoghurt/quark/curd in big amounts, I'm still being told "C'mon give me some sweets". Any ideas what to do?

Another thing. I started swimming about half a year ago as my doc told me it will be good for my back with which I had some painful issues in the past (f..ing office job). It surely works and I'm nearly painfree since then. However I still like to do some weight exercises but always tell me not to put up too much weight because I'm afraid a too heavy load will cause pain again. but in that way my muscles won't get any bigger. Any ideas for this, too?

Well, the tough thing about the sweets is that it's hard to find healthy ones. I know a lot of people use sweet fruit to try to curb their sweets craving. it works for me mostly, but try fruit, and also strart doining somethign that will take your mind off of eating. Also, you should ask your doctor what qualifies as heavy weights. Find out what he means by that and work from there. I have an office job too btw. sucks :/

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:49 am 

Thanks gonna try it with fruits. Thing is: I don' really like fruits ;) Juice in all forms is ok but there are few fruits I actually like to eat... Have to train that, I think. (Veggies are ok btw, but they aren't sweet...)

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:26 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
Thanks gonna try it with fruits. Thing is: I don' really like fruits ;) Juice in all forms is ok but there are few fruits I actually like to eat... Have to train that, I think. (Veggies are ok btw, but they aren't sweet...)
. Fresh baby carrots are sweet! plus depending on your diet and how much you excersize, you can get away with a little bit of sweets

ThrashDeathDoom
Racist Dick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:23 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
@snakehead. I'm in no way an expert but what I do know is that you get strength (not bigger size!) by many reps with little weights. If you want to get bigger muscles you need to too heavy weights with less reps. In your case maybe instead of doing 50x3lbs, do 20x6lbs or better 10x15lbs (see what I mean?)

Hey man the best way to avoid this is fill up with carbs throughout the day BEFORE exercise. Bread, cereal, pasta, you name it, anything.

Chasing empty sugar carbs AFTER a workout is not doing anything for you but producing a feeling of fulfillment. t's actually not good for you. I try to stack up my carbs in the pre-workout part of my day, and stack the protein in the post workout of my day. Obviously I'm not saying ONLY eat carbs at one time and ONLY protein the other, but lean toward one or the other with your diet choices. You may not be hungry before your workout, eat anyway. You'll burn those calories away. And you'll get used to it and be able to eat when you're not hungry but you know you need the fuel. Throw an extra sandwich in your day, or some extra granola bars, even just slices of bread or oatmeal, but you need to get those carbs in PRE-workout. Carbs are your fuel. You don't put gas in your truck after you go for a long drive, you do it before.

Focus on proteins after your exercise to rebuild your muscles. When you exercise, you're breaking down muscle tissue. Protein is the building blocks of muscle, and you need this to rebuild what you have broken down. It's best to drink a protein powder mixed with water no more than 30 minutes after your workout. This will rush protein in to help you feel less broken down, and immediately begin the repair process. It'll probably help that feeling you're talking about too, of needing carbs. Also, I would get some carbs in the form of an electrolyte drink such as gatorade, or just water to help hydrate (obviously no carbs in water though).

In conclusion...

Carbs = your fuel

Protein = your building blocks

Hope that helped anyone who wants to know about the diet side of working out.
YOUUUUUU

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:41 pm 

ThrashDeathDoom wrote:
grauer_mausling wrote:

Hey man the best way to avoid this is fill up with carbs throughout the day BEFORE exercise. Bread, cereal, pasta, you name it, anything.

Chasing empty sugar carbs AFTER a workout is not doing anything for you but producing a feeling of fulfillment. t's actually not good for you. I try to stack up my carbs in the pre-workout part of my day, and stack the protein in the post workout of my day. Obviously I'm not saying ONLY eat carbs at one time and ONLY protein the other, but lean toward one or the other with your diet choices. You may not be hungry before your workout, eat anyway. You'll burn those calories away. And you'll get used to it and be able to eat when you're not hungry but you know you need the fuel. Throw an extra sandwich in your day, or some extra granola bars, even just slices of bread or oatmeal, but you need to get those carbs in PRE-workout. Carbs are your fuel. You don't put gas in your truck after you go for a long drive, you do it before.

Focus on proteins after your exercise to rebuild your muscles. When you exercise, you're breaking down muscle tissue. Protein is the building blocks of muscle, and you need this to rebuild what you have broken down. It's best to drink a protein powder mixed with water no more than 30 minutes after your workout. This will rush protein in to help you feel less broken down, and immediately begin the repair process. It'll probably help that feeling you're talking about too, of needing carbs. Also, I would get some carbs in the form of an electrolyte drink such as gatorade, or just water to help hydrate (obviously no carbs in water though).

In conclusion...

Carbs = your fuel

Protein = your building blocks

Hope that helped anyone who wants to know about the diet side of working out.

+1, great answer ,Thrash.

This is called carbo-loading, and yeah, it's instant workout fuel. On the protein thing, i'd also try mixing protei pwder with milk. a lot of people thing protein is gross, but if you get halfway decent stuff it won't. Actually the stuff they sell at walkmart isn't too bad.

On another note, does anyone take stuff like Nano vapor or nitrous oxide pills? if so, how do they work for you

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:03 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:

That is actually the opposite of the truth. Pure strength is built most effectively by lifting very heavy weights for few reps (less than 5, generally). Muscle size is increased most efficiently by very high volume workouts, but heavier is still better.

Snakehead would be better off eating a lot more and lifting heavy weights (not just bicep curls, either). 50 reps with 3 pounds really won't get you very far.

ThrashDeathDoom
Racist Dick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:15 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
+1, great answer ,Thrash.

This is called carbo-loading, and yeah, it's instant workout fuel. On the protein thing, i'd also try mixing protei pwder with milk. a lot of people thing protein is gross, but if you get halfway decent stuff it won't. Actually the stuff they sell at walkmart isn't too bad.

On another note, does anyone take stuff like Nano vapor or nitrous oxide pills? if so, how do they work for you

Thanks man. And yeah milk is alot better tasting. But there's a reason I will only use water no matter how disgusting immediately after workout. Protein made in water will absorb almost instantaneously in your body. I use milk in my protein in the morning and before bed. Protein made with milk absorbs slowly and steadily over some time, much slower than with water.

But, the downfall is most protein powder mixes so much better with milk. At least when it comes to taste. Some powders are fine in either one, but a lot are also just weird tasting with water.
YOUUUUUU

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:45 pm 

King_Hands wrote:
grauer_mausling wrote:

That is actually the opposite of the truth. Pure strength is built most effectively by lifting very heavy weights for few reps (less than 5, generally). Muscle size is increased most efficiently by very high volume workouts, but heavier is still better.

Snakehead would be better off eating a lot more and lifting heavy weights (not just bicep curls, either). 50 reps with 3 pounds really won't get you very far.

Oh, my fault. I could swear I read somewhere (or maybe it was someone at work?) that it's "low weight, multiple reps = strength" and "heavy weight and as such fewer reps = size".
But as I said - I'm no expert. So thanks for correcting me. Seems like I've worked out contrary to what I wanted to achieve in the past :-/

As for the carb issue - I will def. try it with fueling me with carbs before training, hopefully the need for chocolate after will stay away... But, man... I love chocolate (regardless if I train or not) :D

snakehead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:57 pm 

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
snakehead wrote:

Well that depends, I mean if you're doing 50 reps, obviously you can lift it, but how hard is it by number 50? Also are you listing at home or at a gym? its not usually good to do one set of something unless you're doing a burnout. standard is three sets usually, with reps up to you and what you're going for.

After I do 50 my arms are very tired; I can just push 50 or 60, I'm just doing this at home. I suppose it is better to do it in more sets, and I'll see if I can get heavier weights. I don't care for being really buff or have the time for it, but from what I understand 2x3 pound dumbells aren't getting me anywhere really, so maybe I'll try 20x6 pounds as grauer_mausling suggested.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 58  Next