Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Europedday
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:54 am 

Now I know this is a very heated subject but in my opinion in this category is Black Sabbath why? Because of their heaviness and dark subject matter. Type away metalheads

Razor_Shark
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:59 am 

According to Metallum it is Deep Purple.
Teguereguedêro dêdow Ô-Éhr-Ôhr-Êhr-Êhr-Áhr-Ó
Hé Hã He How

Focus - Hocus Pocus

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:05 am 

Razor_Shark wrote:

Just because they formed a year earlier? Don't be ridiculous. Deep Purple's most metal albums came significantly later than Black Sabbath's debut.

Razor_Shark
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:09 am 

DeathForBlitzkrieg wrote:
Razor_Shark wrote:

Just because they formed a year earlier? Don't be ridiculous. Deep Purple's most metal albums came significantly later than Black Sabbath's debut.

I guess I should have gone into more detail, I honestly think that the Kinks made the first heavy metal song, and that Blue Cheer was the first metal band.
Teguereguedêro dêdow Ô-Éhr-Ôhr-Êhr-Êhr-Áhr-Ó
Hé Hã He How

Focus - Hocus Pocus

Void_Eater
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:12 am 

Razor_Shark wrote:
DeathForBlitzkrieg wrote:
Razor_Shark wrote:

I guess I should have gone into more detail, I honestly think that the Kinks made the first heavy metal song, and that Blue Cheer was the first metal band.

Blue cheer may have been far heavier then any bands of their time, but I never hear actual metal riffs in their songs.

iamntbatman wrote:
Oblarg wrote:
Fuckin' irony; how does that work?

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:15 am 

That's because they're a blues rock band.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 am 

Blue Cheer, along with The Stooges, the MC5 and maybe one or two other bands, were the PRECURSORS to what would evolve into heavy metal. These bands weren't metal in and of themselves, but heavy metal would evolve from the sound that these bands pioneered. Led Zeppelin were of course instrumental in the evolution of metal, without being a metal band themselves, per se.

First ever? I would have to agree that would be Black Sabbath. With the exception of a couple hugely underground (and largely unheard) compositions that came out in the late 1960's, "Black Sabbath" (the song) was by far the heaviest, most intense music in existance at that time. Deep Purple are also at the forefront of the heavy metal timeline. They may have formed before Black Sabbath but their first album that could be classified as metal ("In Rock") did not come out until after the first Sabbath album.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:20 am 

The title track still really isn't a metal song and the debut is not a metal album.

Void_Eater
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:23 am 

WebOfPiss wrote:
The title track still really isn't a metal song and the debut is not a metal album.

How is the title track to Black Sabbath's debut not metal?

iamntbatman wrote:
Oblarg wrote:
Fuckin' irony; how does that work?

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:24 am 

Where are the metal riffs? That's the heart of metal and the tritone one alone doesn't account for it.

AblackanatioN
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:25 am 

Black Sabbath. This discussion has been done to death, but I think that most metalheads would agree. It's always interesting to hear the evolution of metal from early hard rock bands though. Chances are if you're a fan of Sabbath you will enjoy some of the other bands mentioned already.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:26 am 

Lucifers Friend :)

Orange_Gem
Eats fæces for YOUR freedom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:33 am 

WebOfPiss wrote:
Where are the metal riffs? That's the heart of metal and the tritone one alone doesn't account for it.

It's the template doom metal riff. First metal= Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:46 am 

No. The tritone is used pretty sparingly (in comparison to blues and minor riffs) throughout the classic doom bands. I mean, hell, Sabbath never really featured it so prominently after that one example. Hardly what one could call a template if it's rarely followed.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:53 am 

I hate this question. Defining the first metal band is like defining the first rock n' roll song, it's all largely problematic. Part of this is that everyone has their own opinion on it, and part of it being that music doesn't just pop into existence but gradually evolves over time. Defining the very point it stopped being blues or rock n' roll or whatever and started being metal is almost unanswerable, and why does it really matter? What's more important is who was YOUR first metal band.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:10 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
I hate this question. Defining the first metal band is like defining the first rock n' roll song, it's all largely problematic. Part of this is that everyone has their own opinion on it, and part of it being that music doesn't just pop into existence but gradually evolves over time. Defining the very point it stopped being blues or rock n' roll or whatever and started being metal is almost unanswerable, and why does it really matter? What's more important is who was YOUR first metal band.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:22 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
With the exception of a couple hugely underground (and largely unheard) compositions that came out in the late 1960's.

Would you mind posting a few of those, if there's any available on youtube or whatever? I have a huge interest in that kind of thing (as do 90% of the people on this board, I've noticed).

KingMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:44 am 

History will say (and already has basically said) Black Sabbath, so what you all think is irrelevant :p

Last edited by KingMaker on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DunnRiffHorror_EHSB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:50 am 

DrommerOmDod wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:
With the exception of a couple hugely underground (and largely unheard) compositions that came out in the late 1960's.

Would you mind posting a few of those, if there's any available on youtube or whatever? I have a huge interest in that kind of thing (as do 90% of the people on this board, I've noticed).

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exYgyajkjsI

Ton of excellent bands in that vid.

Orange_Gem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:04 am 

WebOfPiss wrote:
No. The tritone is used pretty sparingly (in comparison to blues and minor riffs) throughout the classic doom bands. I mean, hell, Sabbath never really featured it so prominently after that one example. Hardly what one could call a template if it's rarely followed.

It might not always (or usually) be the tritone, but the riffing style and timbre is a template for doom. Some songs by bands like Angel Witch and Trouble do seemingly direct variations of that exact riff, as well.

Also, on the debut you have The Wizard, another pretty metallic song.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:14 am 

its 2011!

learn to recognize a troll you wannabe intellectual noobs! :roll:

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:17 am 

Could've used Saint Vitus's "H.A.A.G." to back yourself up, but even that that's one of a very limited number of times that they used it in comparison to not using it.

Do you even know what timbre and riffing style are? To say the timbre and riffing style of that song is representative of a style of music is a farce. Not all doom is slow, not all is comprised of an arpeggiated melody, not all is wah inflected, not all is mostly treble based tone...

The Wizard may have that one riff (again!) (I'd argue it's a hard rock riff [the fills, phrasing, and little notes popping up here and there are even more indication]), but even so, claiming the debut is the first metal album is inane. Master of Reality is the starting point for their metal work and even that is interrupted by interludes.

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:20 am 

KingMaker wrote:
History will say (and already has basically said) Black Sabbath, so what you all think is irrelevant :p

History(according to the mainstream) will also say that Slipknot was the greatest metal band of our generation. Do you believe them?

MrMcThrasher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:48 am 

Universally it's Black Sabbath.
You could argue for Blue Cheer though. Their first couple of albums were heavy for their time.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:52 am 

Heavy=/= metal.

Orange_Gem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:01 am 

WebOfPiss wrote:
Could've used Saint Vitus's "H.A.A.G." to back yourself up, but even that that's one of a very limited number of times that they used it in comparison to not using it.

Do you even know what timbre and riffing style are? To say the timbre and riffing style of that song is representative of a style of music is a farce. Not all doom is slow, not all is comprised of an arpeggiated melody, not all is wah inflected, not all is mostly treble based tone...

The Wizard may have that one riff (again!) (I'd argue it's a hard rock riff [the fills, phrasing, and little notes popping up here and there are even more indication]), but even so, claiming the debut is the first metal album is inane. Master of Reality is the starting point for their metal work and even that is interrupted by interludes.

Yeah, I know what I'm saying.

It seems very strange that if you reject the debut as metal, you would jump to Master of Reality as their first metal release. What about Paranoid? Pretty overtly metal album right there, admittedly much more so than most the debut after the first song.

And since when does having interludes make something less metal?

But anyway, think about it. Doesn't 70's Black Sabbath fit perfectly right next to Pentagram, Witchfinder General, Pagan Altar, Trouble, etc.?

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:53 am 

Sabbath weren't alone at that time in having metal moments (Led Zep, SLB, Purple etc), but they were the only one to be undeniably metal for the majority of their recorded output. Hell, Sabbath defines what heavy metal is for freak's sake.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:11 am 

DunnRiffHorror_EHSB wrote:
DrommerOmDod wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exYgyajkjsI

Ton of excellent bands in that vid.

Fucking hell that post is amazing! Thanks so much for that, nearly all of those bands are fantastic.

plasticpope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:38 am 

Oh if I had a dollar...

~Guest 224386
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:44 am 

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Maddolis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:58 am 

WebOfPiss wrote:

So what about the drone-doom songs that have no riffs whatsoever?

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:59 am 

Maddolis wrote:
WebOfPiss wrote:

So what about the drone-doom songs that have no riffs whatsoever?

I wouldn't count drone doom bands at metal. Sunn o))) and Boris for example are heavy as fuck but theres bugger all thats metallic about it, in my view anyway.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:55 am 

WebOfPiss wrote:
Master of Reality is the starting point for their metal work and even that is interrupted by interludes.

Whoa now, I was more or less with you up until this point, but Paranoid is definitely a metal album.

AmonKnight
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:19 pm 

"Sister Ray" by The Velvet Underground from the White Light/White Heat album.

Though it may not be the first heavy metal band, "Sister Ray" definitely is the best, most heavy proto-heavy metal song from their time, in my opinion. It makes "Helter Skelter" sound like fucking elevator music!
"Alles ist für immer nun. Der Tod bringt neues Leben. Wir zerteilen uns. Unsere toten Körper nähren den Wurm, die Pflanze und die Erde. Das Ich lebt fort in Geschichten und Gefühlen, dort wo die Geister leben."

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 pm 

Didn't the Scorpions form in 1965? That makes them the oldest metal band in my eyes, even if they didn't release a metal album for a while.

KingMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 pm 

fetalfeast wrote:
KingMaker wrote:

History(according to the mainstream) will also say that Slipknot was the greatest metal band of our generation. Do you believe them?

No, it wont. Slipknot was pretty obviously a fad and will be forgotten in another 5 years at most.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:36 pm 

KingMaker wrote:
fetalfeast wrote:
KingMaker wrote:

No, it wont. Slipknot was pretty obviously a fad and will be forgotten in another 5 years at most.

People said that 5 years ago too. Just saying.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:38 pm 

KingMaker wrote:
fetalfeast wrote:
KingMaker wrote:

To us, but not to them
Image Image

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

~Guest 224386
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:59 pm 

Meh...
I'd rather listen to the 1980s crossover band of the same name. At least that one was better.

MetalHeadNorm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 pm 

It's obviously sabbath. Their debut is a masterpiece stuck somewhere between blues, psychedelic rock and (what was yet to be) metal and they quickly followed it up with Paranoid which was what I think what most people could agree the first LP that was metal through and through.

Discussion over.

What do you mean by that? How quickly I reply?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next